How far do you think / expect us to get in the Europa League?

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
2016-17 I felt more confident because of Jose + having the X factor of Zlatan. Not so confident now. Finish 2nd in group and draw somebody like Inter or Ajax or Sevilla, and we may go out in R32 itself.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Inter the biggest threat because Conte can play very defensive.

Member 90887

You certainly can beat anyone in the competition but I'd not have you as favourites against Inter or Atletico.
Yeah, can agree with Atletico but not Inter.

I feel that we have enough to hurt Inter over two legs. They are not that good in defense and their strikers are wasteful as hell.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Yeah, can agree with Atletico but not Inter.

I feel that we have enough to hurt Inter over too legs. They are not that good in defense and their strikers are wasteful as hell.
I read somewhere that one of their strikers has a crap first touch!

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Inter the biggest threat because Conte can play very defensive.
While they are a definite threat (especially when Sensi returns to add a bit of genius in midfield zones), we should be optimistic with our chances of standing on equal footing or beating them over two legs. Conte is proven to be consistently good in the league, but an undistinguished European manager for the most part — kinda like the inverse Ancelotti. Being unlucky in games of fine margins can be a random factor in cup competitions, but there's a general trend with him, and even Juventus were largely mediocre in the Champions League and Europa League before reaching a higher level with Allegri. Like the 2014 season where they were relegated from the Champions League, and then failed to deliver against Benfica in Turin after losing the reverse fixture in Lisbon. And this was a team with Chiellini, Pirlo, Vidal, Pogba, Buffon, Tévez, Bonucci, Marchisio...

Limiting Lautaro could be the key to success in a potential match up, much of their offensive game plan is predicated on him. And a pacy forward line of Rashford, James, Martial should be able to stretch De Vrij, Godín, Škriniar (high defensive nous and organisational ability but not the most agile).

Anyway, the competition should be quite compelling this year with so many good teams in the mix...as well as the lack of a standout favorite. Mönchengladbach could be the dark horses under Rose/Marić — not the most accomplished in European competitions, don't boast a lot of household names in the lineup and had an inauspicious start to their campaign with two draws and a humiliating loss to Wolfsberger, but they've been gathering steam and were quite gritty at key moments this season...like the past weekend vs. Bayern where they overcame a second half deficit in thrilling fashion. The intensity of this year's Bundesliga will probably work against them, though — only 7 points between them at #1 and Bayern at #7, with Nagelsmann's Leipzig incessantly snapping at their heels.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
While they are a definite threat (especially when Sensi returns to add a bit of genius in midfield zones), we should be optimistic with our chances of standing on equal footing or beating them over two legs. Conte is proven to be consistently good in the league, but an undistinguished European manager for the most part — kinda like the inverse Ancelotti. Being unlucky in games of fine margins can be a random factor in cup competitions, but there's a general trend with him, and even Juventus were largely mediocre in the Champions League and Europa League before reaching a higher level with Allegri. Like the 2014 season where they were relegated from the Champions League, and then failed to deliver against Benfica in Turin after losing the reverse fixture in Lisbon. And this was a team with Chiellini, Pirlo, Vidal, Pogba, Buffon, Tévez, Bonucci, Marchisio...

Limiting Lautaro could be the key to success in a potential match up, much of their offensive game plan is predicated on him. And a pacy forward line of Rashford, James, Martial should be able to stretch De Vrij, Godín, Škriniar (high defensive nous and organisational ability but not the most agile).

Anyway, the competition should be quite compelling this year with so many good teams in the mix...as well as the lack of a standout favorite. Mönchengladbach could be the dark horses under Rose/Marić — not the most accomplished in European competitions, don't boast a lot of household names in the lineup and had an inauspicious start to their campaign with two draws and a humiliating loss to Wolfsberger, but they've been gathering steam and were quite gritty at key moments this season...like the past weekend vs. Bayern where they overcame a second half deficit in thrilling fashion. The intensity of this year's Bundesliga will probably work against them, though — only 7 points between them at #1 and Bayern at #7, with Nagelsmann's Leipzig incessantly snapping at their heels.
Inter might rest their first team for Europa league too as they are competing for the league and their squad is thin. With 1 game a week, they will have good advantage in the league.

Suedesi

Such a bunch of bedwetters in here, I can't believe what I'm reading. We're Man United we can beat any team. In one week we bested Mourinho and Pep but somehow Inter or Ajax or Sevilla are going to be insurmountable. Phleeez.

Let's see what the draw kicks up, let's hope we're healthy and in the words of Louis we go for it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
2016-17 I felt more confident because of Jose + having the X factor of Zlatan. Not so confident now. Finish 2nd in group and draw somebody like Inter or Ajax or Sevilla, and we may go out in R32 itself.
Massively helped by the fact that there weren't as many good sides in the competition and ,if there were, we got very favourable draws.
Dont think it will be the case this time.

stevoc

You've played them 4 times since the start of last season and won none.

I'm not saying you're a worse side but I don't get how someone can be so confident of beating them when you haven't beaten them for 4 consecutive games.
Previous results don't have much bearing on future ones though and bad runs against bogey sides don't last forever. They're a tricky side no doubt and can be hard to beat they always seem to do well against better sides. But of the 4 games we've only played them at home once and their two wins came in possibly the worst run of form the club has had in 20+ years we were getting beat by most teams towards the end of last year.

We out played them this season at their place and only for a wonder goal from them and a missed penalty from us we would have won comfortably. I'm not saying we would definitely beat them over 2 legs but i'd be pretty confident we would.

Nikelesh Reddy

The last time we won it, it was kind of expected, wasn't it?

I'm not sure the same can be said now.

However, if we do manage to get a full complement of players fit for the K.O. rounds, is backdoor entry into the CL feasible, or is the competition beyond us this year.

Bear in mind the strong sides in the competition as well as those from the CL who will dropping down into it.
I just hope that top teams from the CL don’t drop down into the EL.If some top teams from the CL don’t drop down,then I actually expect us to reach the final...We should go all out to win the EL....

Bestietom

It depends on how well positioned we are in the premiership, and how hungry we are to win this trophy. If we are in with a good chance for top 4 finish we will concentrate on this, if not we could go all out to win this trophy as our only other way into Champions League. Depends on if the draw is favourable to us as we go.

theklr

Yeah, think we are well suited for this. Especially when teams come to OT, one of the scariest stadiums there is.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It depends on how well positioned we are in the premiership, and how hungry we are to win this trophy. If we are in with a good chance for top 4 finish we will concentrate on this, if not we could go all out to win this trophy as our only other way into Champions League. Depends on if the draw is favourable to us as we go.
Exactly this, although, I hope that we do take this competition seriously and give it a really good tilt towards winning it.
Not just because its a back entrance into the Champions League, but moreso because its the UEFA Cup, and to my mind, a very worthwhile European trophy added to the club's history.
There are some very decent sides in the competition, so hopefully the draw is kind to us, we get a 'softer' tie and teams draw each other...

To be able to win this trophy would be an enormous boost to our young squad and for Solskjaer too, it could be hugely significant for United going forward into next season...

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
There were quite a few strong sides left in the last 32 the year we won it, but they all went out. It wouldn't surprise me if the same happened this year. If 100 people predicted this years semi-final line up very few people would be correct.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
There were quite a few strong sides left in the last 32 the year we won it, but they all went out..
Yes, that's exactly what happened, all of the better teams, all drew each other, and did us a huge favour......Same again please.. :devil:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Good post. I believe We're still the favorites regardless but it'll be very annoying if We face Inter and They park the bus. We're struggling to break down deep defenses. Good thing Conte is shite at European cups.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
There were quite a few strong sides left in the last 32 the year we won it, but they all went out. It wouldn't surprise me if the same happened this year. If 100 people predicted this years semi-final line up very few people would be correct.
This. Not every team is gonna take EL seriously and upsets will happen. People hyping up Inter will do well to remember that if they are really in the title race come March, they are gonna prioritize the league over EL and the same might apply to a lot of other teams too for different reasons. So it's far too early to think about who would the front-runners for this competition.

izec

There are a handful of good teams left. Salzburg will look decimated come February as well.

i expect us to reach the semi finals at least, most of the teams left are garbage if we are honest. Some from the CL and some that were here before are decent, but the rest isnt up to it.

Most of the clubs left have barely done anything internationally the last few years

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
All of it depends on which Man Utd turns up. If it's the Man Utd of the last few weeks then we can go all the way and win it. If it is the Man Utd of a month ago then we may struggle. I suppose it also depends on what Ole prioritises and how strong a team we put into it also, if Ole decides to rest key players then that will have an impact too.

No doubt though, we absolutely can win it.

wolvored

How can I say that we are the better team? Seriously? When was the last time Wolves finished above us in the league? Are you seriously suggesting that they are better than us because they got a couple of lucky results? I can't believe I'm even justifying this with a response... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Results wise we havent beaten them so how can you say we are a better team than them :lol::lol::lol:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We have a thin squad. Lots to play for still in the PL. Almost certainly a two-legged semi-final in the Carabao and the FA Cup starts soon. A lot of fixtures.

We will be heavily reliant on kind draws in the Europa - any long travel is going to affect us. We are without a doubt going to have to play some fringe players at some point so I doubt we will be sending out our strongest XI in every Europa match. A couple of January additions would help no end.

In summary its far to early to be confident about winning this trophy. It was clear to see how it affected the squad the year we won it. Take it round by round.

Bestietom

Exactly this, although, I hope that we do take this competition seriously and give it a really good tilt towards winning it.
Not just because its a back entrance into the Champions League, but moreso because its the UEFA Cup, and to my mind, a very worthwhile European trophy added to the club's history.
There are some very decent sides in the competition, so hopefully the draw is kind to us, we get a 'softer' tie and teams draw each other...

To be able to win this trophy would be an enormous boost to our young squad and for Solskjaer too, it could be hugely significant for United going forward into next season...
Yes, It would be a huge boost to our young squad if we were to win it. Hopefully give them a taste for more european glory, maybe Champions League in the future.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
A lot of fans on here think that EL will be some sort of walk over.
This is notoriously difficult to win and it took a serial winner to completely focus on the trophy, for us to win it.
I don't see Ole getting close to winning this.
How far we get, as others have said, depends on the draw and who we face.
Ole's best chance of a trophy is the league cup. Even the FA Cup will be too difficult.

Paul_Scholes18

We are the odds favorite to win it mainly on our name I think. City strangely favorites for CL too even if they have been poor this year. Can be hard with Ajax and Inter in it. Still some sides may focus on the league more. Arsenal is a team we should beat too right now.

MrVolley

I think we can make the final if we get a favorable run. Let's hope we don't come up against one of the big boys.

wolvored

So you think that if you don't beat a team than they are better than you? So I guess we are better than City this year
Not over one game no but if we had beat them over the last 2 seasons each time we met them no one could say city were better than us as a team

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Reckon we can go all the way, but a lot of knock out games can come down to margins, as Ole says.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
The last time we won it, it was kind of expected, wasn't it?

I'm not sure the same can be said now.

However, if we do manage to get a full complement of players fit for the K.O. rounds, is backdoor entry into the CL feasible, or is the competition beyond us this year.

Bear in mind the strong sides in the competition as well as those from the CL who will dropping down into it.

Final list of Europa League demotees.

Inter Milan
RB Salzburg
Ajax Amsterdam
Benfica
Bayer Leverkusen
Club Bruges
Olympiakos
Shakhtar Donetsk
We can easily beat all of those teams if we play every game the way we did the last two against City and Spurs, but winning competitions requires grit and tenacity that our team doesn't have yet. We are inconsistent and unpredictable. I say the chances of us winning Europa League this year are extremely slim.

Zlatattack

Such a bunch of bedwetters in here, I can't believe what I'm reading. We're Man United we can beat any team. In one week we bested Mourinho and Pep but somehow Inter or Ajax or Sevilla are going to be insurmountable. Phleeez.

Let's see what the draw kicks up, let's hope we're healthy and in the words of Louis we go for it.
I agree. Bring them on.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We are the odds favorite to win it mainly on our name I think. City strangely favorites for CL too even if they have been poor this year. Can be hard with Ajax and Inter in it. Still some sides may focus on the league more. Arsenal is a team we should beat too right now.
Its quite strange City being favourites. Last week made sense as Liverpool were still in danger of elimination, but now? Maybe its down to an expected toll on the squad from fixture congestion. Liverpool look pretty good value to me.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We can easily beat all of those teams if we play every game the way we did the last two against City and Spurs, but winning competitions requires grit and tenacity that our team doesn't have yet. We are inconsistent and unpredictable. I say the chances of us winning Europa League this year are extremely slim.
This will apply to the vast majority of these teams though I think - the inconsistency. None of these sides are top level teams, including ourselves. I would rate our chances as better than extremely slim, but its far too early to even think about relying on this for CL qualification. It will be a lot easier to finish above Chelsea than to win this thing, but its nice to have 2 chances to get there.

Gator Nate

I read somewhere that one of their strikers has a crap first touch!
That was on full display Tuesday night. Even on his goal (at least, I think it was on his goal, may have been one of his misses), when he received the pass, the ball bounced off him pretty hard at first. There was just nothing in his way after that.