How Far Off Are We From Mounting a Serious Title Challenge?

the hea

With Mourinho seemingly in the bag what positions do we need to reinforce to be able to mount a serious title challenge next season?

Personally I think we need a CB, at least one CM, a right winger and a striker.
If we are able to find one high quality player for each of these position I think we could challenge for the title next season.

DDG
Darmian Smalling New CB Shaw
Schneiderlin
Rooney New CM
New RW New striker
Martial
Zlatan seems the obvious solution for the striker role but besides him it will be interesting to see what players we will go for.

Mou was very interested in Stones last summer so he could a option, a very expensive one though and with his defensive problems this season me personally hope we go for someone else.
Marquinhos could also be a option with the rumors about him wanting to leave.
Varane is probably not available but he was a favorite of Mourinho a Real so you never know

For the CM role I can't think of anyone obvious, there were some rumors about Pogba and he would certainly be a revelation to our midfield but I can't see that happening without us in the CL.
Andre Gomes seems a more likely option but there should be question marks about his ability at this level.

For the right winger role I really hope we go for someone pacy who can beat their man out wide, the biggest problem I had with LVG's football was our non existing right side.
Sane looks like a great talent but I don't know if he's available. Griezmann would be my favorite, he plays on the right for France so he is not totally unfamiliar with the position and with Woody's obsession with galactico signings Griezmann would probably be the closest he can get to one this summer.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
With Shaw coming back into the team, I think if we add two genuine great players (not Ibra) into this squad we'll be sorted.

A Right winger and a right back would do me.

Empire

We've surely scouted a new LCB and RW (with speed and creativity) and probably the best young players in their age group so there should be a lot of info on players ready for the step up, Mourinho just needs to assess this or whether he wants different players in those positions.

Our defence did a lot of the things well except set pieces but height will solve that, Mourinho will probably like a lot of the squad so there isn't need for huge change.

And the key to winning titles is 20 goal a season striker (Zlatan), a match winner in addition to that is helpful (Martial) and a squad that doesn't have too many injuries helps (just get rid of players like Jones, or at least don't expect to rely on them, if he is fit it's a pleasant surprise).

De Gea

Darmian
Smalling
new LCB
Shaw

Schneiderlin
Schweinsteiger

new RW
Rooney
Martial

Zlatan

And a fair bit of quality throughout the squad to rotate or cover for injuries.

We should be mounting a title challenge with his experience in the league and taking over a team that won the FA Cup despite so many players being new to the first team (whether promoted or signed).

He should have won it in his first Chelsea season, we're better.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
With Mourinho seemingly in the bag what positions do we need to reinforce to be able to mount a serious title challenge next season?

Personally I think we need a CB, at least one CM, a right winger and a striker.
If we are able to find one high quality player for each of these position I think we could challenge for the title next season.

DDG
Darmian Smalling New CB Shaw
Schneiderlin
Rooney New CM
New RW New striker
Martial
Zlatan seems the obvious solution for the striker role but besides him it will be interesting to see what players we will go for.

Mou was very interested in Stones last summer so he could a option, a very expensive one though and with his defensive problems this season me personally hope we go for someone else.
Marquinhos could also be a option with the rumors about him wanting to leave.
Varane is probably not available but he was a favorite of Mourinho a Real so you never know

For the CM role I can't think of anyone obvious, there were some rumors about Pogba and he would certainly be a revelation to our midfield but I can't see that happening without us in the CL.
Andre Gomes seems a more likely option but there should be question marks about his ability at this level.

For the right winger role I really hope we go for someone pacy who can beat their man out wide, the biggest problem I had with LVG's football was our non existing right side.
Sane looks like a great talent but I don't know if he's available. Griezmann would be my favorite, he plays on the right for France so he is not totally unfamiliar with the position and with Woody's obsession with galactico signings Griezmann would probably be the closest he can get to one this summer.

We are in a situation where Leicester won the Premier League so we should be good shape to win it next year. Its not really about adding player x or y, its about a manager who can galvanize a group of players to believe and collectively punch well above their weight.

That said, if we add Ibra, we are winning the league full stop.

mu77

one manager a midf wizard and a cb with a bit of a nasty streak combined with skill. chuck in an experienced striker if you'd like.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
  • Move Fosu Mensah to the midfield, the guy is seriously talented
  • Use Rashford as a striker or RW
  • Add a more experienced quality striker to the squad
  • Add a good right winger
  • Give smalling a good CB partner
  • DDG needs to stay
  • Shaw needs to stay fit and have a breakthrough season
If we do that we won't be far away from it

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I've changed my mind on Mourinho today. I've been against but I realised he's our best chance of bringing top quality players while being out of Champions league.

Right winger is a priority, and if we get a really good one (and rapid) I'd be happy with Zlatan up top.

We also need at least one new energetic midfielder. Maybe someone like Dembele from spurs would do.

It's about time to get rid of Jones so I expect at least one new CB.

If we get them we'll be fine and on the same level as City and Spurs currently. I reckon only Arsenal have slightly better squad.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I've changed my mind on Mourinho today. I've been against but I realised he's our best chance of bringing top quality players while being out of Champions league.

Right winger is a priority, and if we get a really good one (and rapid) I'd be happy with Zlatan up top.

We also need at least one new energetic midfielder. Maybe someone like Dembele from spurs would do.

It's about time to get rid of Jones so I expect at least one new CB.

If we get them we'll be fine and on the same level as City and Spurs currently. I reckon only Arsenal have slightly better squad.
Spurs will be very good again next year, City are bound to add a few top signings (whether they wind up performing as such is another matter), Klopp will almost certainly make a couple of good buys, and Conte will probably have a good bit of transfer cash to work with - so.....not only would appointing Mourinho be a good decision, it would be essential in terms of keeping up with what the other clubs do.

LouisDanGaal

One season for Mourinho to get to grips with the squad and bring in the right players so we should be good going in to the season after next. Having said that next season in theory will be very very open as us Chelsea City are all in huge transitions, only Tottenham and Arsenal are pretty settled so they could take advantage. I like our squad, I think with 3 or 4 top players we could be one of the best teams about if everyone is playing to their full potential.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
First team: cb, rb, cm, Rw, stk

The problem lies in strength in depth

izzydiggler

Centre back, 2 wingers, central midfielder and at least one striker...all whilst keeping De Gea and I think we'd gave a good shout. Mourinho is a great manager and results would improve without huge investment but a reinforced Man City team after Pep is given loads of money is going to take some beating.

Treble

Nobody knows. Much depends on the rivals as well. For a start, let's do better than Liverpool. And better than Leicester too.

ghagua

This squad is good enough to challenge for the title right now under a competent manager. I know Leicester City may never repeat what they did this season, but the fact remains, they are the champions with a squad that is nowhere near the quality of the United squad.

mu77

a rb would be another addition. so a cb , a midf wiz and an striker with some big matches under his belt. could rashford play down the right side like big tony does down the left?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If we are to quickly climb the rankings, the club needs to invest in serious top drawer players.

We only have one genuinely world class player in De Gea; we need at least 4 next season to make a serious dent in the Premier League and then more to make serious progress in the CL.

Im expecting a £300m+ investment over the next 24 months.

Devil may care

We need 5 players, a striker, RW, creative CM and CB are imperative, but we could do with another CM as well IMO.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
If we are to quickly climb the rankings, the club needs to invest in serious top drawer players.

We only have one genuinely world class player in De Gea; we need at least 4 next season to make a serious dent in the Premier League and then more to make serious progress in the CL.

Im expecting a £300m+ investment over the next 24 months.
But...but....the youth, we need the youth more than success!

DDG
Darmian Smalling Blind Shaw
Rooney Schneiderlin New CM
New RW New striker
Martial

Defensively we are already fairly sound. With Mourinho's defensive organisation we will be even better. Our priorities in order:

1. A leader in central midfield. That will help the defence further, help the other CMs and give us more in attack.
2. Ibrahimovic. We need a top striker to win us the 1-0s. Rashford may be that man in a year or so but right now we need a star like Ibra.
3. Right winger. Mata is too slow and i think Lingard is ultimately destined to be a very good squad player. We will be very lopsided with Martial and Shaw.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Not far. Despite finishing fifth, we can't say that in the 38 games, we played properly. We made certain teams look far better then they are. Playing newcastle at home and going in at HT with one effort on target? Something like that and that happened in a number of games. I don't think Jose would teach players how to fear small teams. Respect is one thing stupidity is another. So it's hard to judge the squad because basically what LVG, was the Equivalent of Bobby doing the combover. We were great defensively, not just because of our defensive play but because we were so negative which also effected the number of chances we created. In the first half vs Bournemouth - the ball was played into Mata near half way life - no one round him and his first instinct was to play it back. Second half we play like United and win the game.

But we can in the league next season. Many will feel that way. Jose thankfully won't be as scared against teams we should beat easy. I don't think you can create the confidence when you don't show confidence in the team to attack.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
DDG
Darmian Smalling Blind Shaw
Rooney Schneiderlin New CM
New RW New striker
Martial

Defensively we are already fairly sound. With Mourinho's defensive organisation we will be even better. Our priorities in order:

1. A leader in central midfield. That will help the defence further, help the other CMs and give us more in attack.
2. Ibrahimovic. We need a top striker to win us the 1-0s. Rashford may be that man in a year or so but right now we need a star like Ibra.
3. Right winger. Mata is too slow and i think Lingard is ultimately destined to be a very good squad player. We will be very lopsided with Martial and Shaw.
I hope Mourinho will not play Blind as a first choice CB, honestly look at the WH game and you know why he will never be a great CB

Our defensive stats are ok because we play extremly save without taking any risks. As soon as we start to play higher on the pitch we immediatly look vulnerable at the back.

RaptorSlo

Let's be honest here, Smalling was not a better CB than Blind over a season. He had a good start, but in the second half of the season Blind was outperforming him.

So taking one for a granted started, while the other is considered expendable, is a bit of a joke.

I hope Mourinho will not play Blind as a first choice CB, honestly look at the WH game and you know why he will never be a great CB

Our defensive stats are ok because we play extremly save without taking any risks. As soon as we start to play higher on the pitch we immediatly look vulnerable at the back.
He's not perfect but we don't wan't too many changes and the other positions are bigger weaknesses imo. If we add a leader in central midfield we won't be crumbling under pressure like we did against West Ham. That was more down to our mental state than any individual players.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
How is Darmian getting into so many teams before Valencia, he (Darmian) hasn't proved anything yet, thems the facts.

PieCrust

CM, AM, RW, ST,CB.

Rooney should be reduced to a squad player.

Continue development of Martial, Rashford.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
He's not perfect but we don't wan't too many changes and the other positions are bigger weaknesses imo. If we add a leader in central midfield we won't be crumbling under pressure like we did against West Ham. That was more down to our mental state than any individual players.
Blind can't handle long balls

He has played his entire career as either a midfielder or asa leftback. I think he can do a job there but he is not first choice material for a top club. If we want a team that can be confident going forward again, I also think we need a secure backline, Blind doesn't fit that. LVG should have invested in a centreback in the summer, I think his gamble with Blind played out ok but we need better.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Blind is too small, we may be weak elsewhere but a short centerback will give away goals no matter how good the rest of his game is, Mou will know that and buy.

tom porter

I think Mourinho needs to get ride of the dead weight from our squad and add genuine quality to the squad. IMO we are at least one season away from being genuine title contenders assuming we make the right additions and subtractions. Here's my ideas below

Additions: 2 CB''s. Varane would be my top pick but I'd like to see us add someone with more experience and a youngster with potential.
2RW. I'm not sold on Lingard, great goal yesterday nonetheless, and think we need to add a couple players with genuine quality and pace. Mane + 1 more would be a good start.
CM. A Box to Box player would be a great addition. I think Schneiderlein could be a big winner out of this managerial change and would also like to see Herrera play well again.
Striker. An experienced striker who can deliver 15-20 goals a season and teach Rashford, Martial, and Wilson the ins and outs of the position.

Subtractions. Valencia-No longer good enough to play for United IMO. Decent rb at this point and we might get 1-2 Million for him.
Young-See Valencia.
Fellaini-His physicality may be welcomed by Mourinho but he's really only effective in a 3 man midfield with the diamond pointing backwards the way we played at the end of our 1st season. In the right team with the right setup he's a genuine threat and should go to such a team.
Rooney-This one is the most controversial for most on the list. Wayne imo no longer offers the pace and 1st touch to play as a striker, and lacks the touch, stamina, positional sense, and combination play to be a United level center midfielder. He should be sold to United and our center midfield built around Schneiderlein, Herrera + 1.

Juan Mata is another big question mark, yet, I am a fan of Mata's touch, vision, work ethic, and goalscoring abilities.

I hope Mourinho will give playing time to our promising youngsters such as Perreira and Januzaj who have struggled recently under Van Gaal as well as as give opportunities to Rashford, Fosu-Mensah, and Varela.

p.s. I'm really excited to see LVG go!

the hea

How is Darmian getting into so many teams before Valencia, he (Darmian) hasn't proved anything yet, thems the facts.
I agree that he hasn't proved anything at Utd but he was very good at Torino and he is also very solid defensively which Mourinho seems to rate highly in his full backs. So at least for me Darmian seems more of a Mourinho type full back than Valencia, but of course if he doesn't improve on this seasons performances he will struggle to get into the team.

kundalini

The success rate for transfers is about 50% according to the huge study done by Paul Tomkins and Graeme Riley in their book Pay As You Play. That figure doesn't change much regardless of whether the transfers are high priced or not. The success rate includes players that had difficult first seasons but eventually went on to be a success. There are very few managers who consistently out-perform the market on transfers.

We should know by now what to expect when you bring in 5 or 6 players in a summer.

Herrera, Shaw, Rojo, Blind, Di Maria, Falcao - even after 2 seasons, it would extremely generous to say we had 3 successes out of 6.

Memphis, Darmian, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Romero, Martial - one success, 3 had spells of looking ok but overall were nothing special in their first season.

If the answer is that we need to bring in 4 first team starters then we are in deep trouble. The chances of all four being a success in their first season is incredibly slim.

To answer the OP's question, I think we could challenge for the title next season if Mourinho can put together a well-balanced side using players from our current squad plus at most 2 transfer successes.

I liked what I've seen from Rashford this season. I liked Januzaj under Moyes/Giggs. Fosu-Mensah and Pereira might be ready to make an impact. Worried about Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger (because of age + injury), Rooney, Shaw (because of injury). Worried about height and players who lack pace. Worried about players taking time to adjust to new tactics and hopefully a new tempo.

Last edited:

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
We are not far off, a centerback and a center forward will push us very close. A right winger and central midfielder on top would be even better. As for the squad we have to improve it by improving the first team, we've had too small a squad this season

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Let's be honest here, Smalling was not a better CB than Blind over a season. He had a good start, but in the second half of the season Blind was outperforming him.

So taking one for a granted started, while the other is considered expendable, is a bit of a joke.
Blind is progressed as CB back and there is no certainty a new top CB will perform better than him. Said the same about Valencia at RB, the start of the season.
This team like every other team in world will need a few new additions but doesn't mean we have to degrade our own players every season. In reality if Blind maintains his progression, the new guy will have to be one of the very best in the world to displace him.
I am personally enjoying watching this bunch developing into well rounded footballers but this might not be to everyone's taste.

Oo0AahCantona

Manager = Check
2-3 top players = We'll see.
if not next season, the year after we could have another premier league trophy.

KikiDaKats

Supports
Blind is too small, we may be weak elsewhere but a short centerback will give away goals no matter how good the rest of his game is, Mou will know that and buy.
How many goals did he give away due to his lack of height as compared to other taller defenders? Just asking...

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
But...but....the youth, we need the youth more than success!
Personally don't care that much about young players being central to our success.

It's nice to see but winning with attractive exciting football is always more important for me.

KikiDaKats

Supports
I don't know, but I wouldn't take one season as an example. There's a reason centerbacks are the size they are
You mean like Cannavaro? His problems lie elsewhere and not his height. He defends on the front foot and defenders like that are prone to leaving gaps behind them, like Otamendi all season. Whether it's a bad or a good thing.. I don't know because such style is normally dictated by tactically instructions.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
You mean like Cannavaro? His problems lie elsewhere and not his height. He defends on the front foot and defenders like that are prone to leaving gaps behind them, like Otamendi all season. Whether it's a bad or a good thing.. I don't know because such style is normally dictated by tactically instructions.
You can pick out rare examples of short centre back, but a short, slow and slight center back like Blind? Just too many weaknesses

At 5'11" Blind is the same height as Franz Beckenbauer and taller than both Franco Baresi and Bobby Moore. Whether he's good enough or not has nothing to do with his height.

RaptorSlo

So, turning to google for help, it seems Daley Blind's height is 180cm. Same as Phil Jones. Don't think I saw anyone have a problem with Jones' height.