How good is Chris Smalling?

ZDwyr

The way he kept up with Sterling was really impressive. Sterling's acceleration is very good and Smalling had no issue keeping up with him. Physically he's brilliant as a CB (except for the injuries he can pick up).

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Hopefully he develops into a commanding CB this season. He has all the tools to do so, dont know what kept him from that until now

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Solid again today. Distribution from the back was good, and was always in the right place.

Loved when Smalling was defending one vs one against Sterling. I can't imagine it's easy marking such a nifty guy in Sterling, but he made it look easy. Would love a gif of that @GifLord if you can. Thanks
In terms of a pure one on one with an attacker I think he's the best in the league. So quick and assertive, must be an absolute pain to try get past. I remember Welbeck saying he was the hardest to play against in training for this reason.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
As I said a year or so ago, he's one of my favourite United players. Goes about his business amazingly well without the flash.

He has to start every game he can. He can become a great.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
It seems the people on twitter are massively underrating him, whereas the people on here are the opposite. One of the best in the league?! Give over.

Walters_19_MuFc

In terms of a pure one on one with an attacker I think he's the best in the league. So quick and assertive, must be an absolute pain to try get past. I remember Welbeck saying he was the hardest to play against in training for this reason.
Ye, I remember him saying that as well. On first judgement, you probably wouldn't think he's particularly quick (he comes across as a bit gangly to me) but like you said, he's an absolute pain to get past.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I would say he is the best defender on a 1v1 basis for club and country.

If only some of Evans' passing range could rub off on him...

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Ye, I remember him saying that as well. On first judgement, you probably wouldn't think he's particularly quick (he comes across as a bit gangly to me) but like you said, he's an absolute pain to get past.
Smalling's acceleration isn't great and it can take him four or five steps to really get going, but once he's moving he's very quick.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Hopefully he develops into a commanding CB this season. He has all the tools to do so, dont know what kept him from that until now
Nothing kept him from that, he was very good last season when given a chance (as a CB obviously).

It's just that for some reason he was below poor Rio and Vidic, even though it was obvious the latter was leaving at the end of a season. They just had to start every game (when fit).

Last edited:

ghagua

Injuries and being played out of position at right back

Sam

The way he kept up with Sterling was very impressive. I didn't think he was that fast.