How good is this?

Bobski

Is an open draw after each KO round worth experimenting with. Logistically it might be a problem, and of course there is no guarantee that it leads to a more balanced draw.

FujiVice

Anyone can win the tournament now. We're into bottle job territory. I think we'll see some overly cautious games from now on.

Is an open draw after each KO round worth experimenting with. Logistically it might be a problem, and of course there is no guarantee that it leads to a more balanced draw.
That’s quite disingenuous to the teams who knocked out Germany, Spain, Argentina etc. I assume it those bigger teams who actually deserved to be knocked out were in the quarter finals then there would be no complaints?

Anyone can win the tournament now. We're into bottle job territory. I think we'll see some overly cautious games from now on.
Just because a team loses or doesn’t play well doesn’t mean they have ‘bottled’ it. Such an overused expression on here.

Bobski

That’s quite disingenuous to the teams who knocked out Germany, Spain, Argentina etc. I assume it those bigger teams who actually deserved to be knocked out were in the quarter finals then there would be no complaints?
Perhaps not, but at the same time eliminating games like Belgium B v England B in the WC is part of the thought. Teams hoping to lose in this tournament should really not be a thing.

But if it’s an open draw you would get more dead rubbers if there is never any benefit of finishing first - where usually there is. If Kane didn’t score in injury time against Tunisia, then there would have been a lot more riding on the Belgium game. Fine margins.

I can’t ever remember a draw like we have had on this World Cup where it has been so open for the underdogs. It’s a one off. No need for change.

A 48 team World Cup will produce far more meaningless games.

Bobski

But if it’s an open draw you would get more dead rubbers if there is never any benefit of finishing first - where usually there is. If Kane didn’t score in injury time against Tunisia, then there would have been a lot more riding on the Belgium game. Fine margins.

I can’t ever remember a draw like we have had on this World Cup where it has been so open for the underdogs. It’s a one off. No need for change.

A 48 team World Cup will produce far more meaningless games.
You are right, and some of those position deciding games in the past have been classics. I withdraw my idea, had not thought it through fully.

Last edited:
It’s been the best WC since USA 1994 - I was not up this WC before it started, but it’s been brilliant In so many ways.

Last edited:

MuFc_1992

An open draw that seeds the group winners where teams from the same group cannot be drawn together like in the Champions League is the way to go.

FromTheBench

Best world cup since a long while.

Its not that some great football has been played but it has been a enthralling watch.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
Certainly the best world cup I've experienced yet.

klsv

Just one 0-0, lots of goals and drama, upsets, some absolute classics, English revival, Belgium and Croatia finally reaching top 4 with their golden generations, deep run for the hosts. I've been neutral throgh all this but some of these late drama has had me gone nuts. Add United players doing well...this is confirmed my fav tournament ever. Congtats to all who made it this far!

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
So much drama, great goals and iconic moments. Haven't enjoyed international football like this since I was a kid.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I actually think the Belgium-Brazil game was the best of the tournament despite the scoreline not being as crazy as some other classics. The quality of football on show at times from both teams was incredible.

I also think Lukaku has been the player of the tournament so far.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
It's good in terms of variety, nobody expected a final four of Belgium, England, France, and Croatia. I don't believe that the level of football is better than during the last world cups though, the implosion of many big teams (Germany, above all, then Italy, Netherlands and Spain) is definitely skewing the competition.

Canagel

I actually think this is one of the most weakest world cups in terms of quality. There have been no real standout teams or players that have really announced themselves. The games have been very close which is why it's been more exciting to watch but this semi final four are nowhere near previous semi finalists imo.

Honest John

It's good in terms of variety, nobody expected a final four of Belgium, England, France, and Croatia. I don't believe that the level of football is better than during the last world cups though, the implosion of many big teams (Germany, above all, then Italy, Netherlands and Spain) is definitely skewing the competition.
Italy didn't qualify, Spain, Uruguay, Argentina, Colombia, Brazil, Mexico, etc. etc. All gone. Could it be that refs are waking up to some tactics traditionally deployed by Latin sides?

fellaini's barber

Belgium, Croatia and the other semi final newbies don't know what cautious is. I love it with these new countries at the end, they're like kids, they'll just go all out till the bitter end

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
There's only 3 meaningful games left :(

I'm already starting to get a bit sad that its coming to an end.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
No idea where to put this but I thought it interesting enough to share