g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

How good was Denis Irwin?

Rossa

Would you guys rate Irwin at his best over Evra at his best? I see the Cole comparison, but I think Evra at his very best was better than Cole at his very best. Cole obviously has a better career though as did Irwin. In 2008 (that was Evra's best campaign right?), he was great at defending, had a great deal better pace than Cole, much better on the ball and worked relentlessly up and down that left side.

nemanja nemagic

Disclaimer: Irwin is my favourite ever player so my view is coloured somewhat.

I'm a penalty taking fullback comfortable on either the right or left, so naturally growing up my hero was Dennis Irwin. The best left back of the premier league era for me. He couldn't merely just do a job at right back, he was equally adept on that flank as he was at left back. Free kicks and penalties - check. The absolute model of consistency. That goal that Cantona chipped into him always sticks in my mind. I think Ellery's decision to send him off at Anfield for running the ball up the line after the whistle had blown is probably the angriest I've been at any refereeing decision, seriously fecked us in that game as well. David Ellery :mad:. Played with him as well when he came to train with my school's football team (his son went), met him and shook his hand. What a day

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
It's a great question as Denis was obviously a right footed fullback who was switched to the left as we had a massive gap there at the time.

He still played nigh on 100 games at right back for us so putting him up against Gary Neville is totally relevant.

Gary Neville had qualities that Denis didn't. In my opinion Neville was a better header of the ball, a better communicator, read the game better and was a superb crosser of the ball. He was also a great leader. However, when he had a bad day it was really bad.

Denis Irwin was a cleaner tackler (I can't remember him giving away many free-kicks), more versatile (left or right), dangerous from set plays and as many have said on here…consistent week in week out.

In terms of up and down the pitch, supporting the attack, pragmatic defending etc they were pretty much on par.

In the modern game we have been lucky to have two great fullbacks. I can't separate them so won't try.

I would definitely have Irwin over Evra at LB.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
At any rate, I do think it's between Irwin and Cole as the best fullbacks of the PL era.

I'd probably pick Cole, but it's fine margins.

I'd have Cafu, Carlos, Zanetti and Maldini over either of them though.

You don't say.

Gannicus

Irwin was a fantastic servant of United. Strong in every aspect of the game and a model footballer.

How many fullbacks do you ever see given first choice for taking pk's? Not many.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Ferguson said (in his new book I think) that after Irwin made a mistake that led to a goal the tv/newspaper reporter said to him 'You'll be disappointed with Irwin for giving the ball away for the goal' and Ferguson replied 'Well I've had him here now for eight or nine years and that's the first mistake he's made, I think I'll be able to forgive him'

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
And all of this plus he was a perfect pro and a total gentleman.

Any manager in the league right now would take him him in a shot.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Would you guys rate Irwin at his best over Evra at his best? I see the Cole comparison, but I think Evra at his very best was better than Cole at his very best. Cole obviously has a better career though as did Irwin. In 2008 (that was Evra's best campaign right?), he was great at defending, had a great deal better pace than Cole, much better on the ball and worked relentlessly up and down that left side.
I think the correct question would be, is Gary at his prime more important than Evra at his prime. Irwin was that good at his weaker side that he played at left back to allow Gary to play at right back and still looked world class. If we had to pick an all time Manchester XI, Irwin would definitely be the first name for the fullback spot and everybody else would be competing for the remaining spot.

Rob Bowman

Here is what SAF and Gary said about Irwin...

Alex Ferguson:

“At Highbury in one game he had a bad pass back in the last-minute and (Dennis) Bergkamp came in and scored.

“After the game the press said ‘you must be disappointed in that pass back.’

“I said, ‘well, one mistake in 10 years isn’t bad.’ He was an unbelievable player.”

Gary Neville:

“He was able to switch from left to right without skipping a beat, he could attack and defend with equal ability, take free-kicks and penalties – and he stayed modest and hard-working throughout.

He must be the best left and right-back that United ever had.”

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Denis Irwin was the best left back of the Premier League era. Consistency embodied and had a wicked ability at set pieces to. Had it not been for David Beckham Irwin would've definitely scored more goals for United.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Dinny was the best full-back I've seen (that I've watched on a consistent basis. Obviously people will claim Maldini and Cafu were better, but I watched those play maybe four games a season at their peak.)

Assured in defence and excellent in attack. The archetypal full-back.