How good was Paul Scholes?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I can recall Modric being the outstanding midfielder at the highest level compared to other top level midfielders. I don't remember one CL or International campaign where I thought "gosh Scholes is the best midfielder in this whole damnthing". In fact it was rare to think that in any one EPL campaign.
Um, 2006/07?

adexkola

Supports
He wasn't the best in the world cup nor the champions league. That was Kaka's tournament and Seedorf won midfielder of the competition. what was memorable about Scholes tournament? the one goal vs Milan?
"It was rare to think that in any one EPL campaign"

Was responding to that.

adexkola

Supports
I'm intrigued by the people calling the appreciation he deserves "revisionism". More like "I only watched him a couple of times and I'm backing my opinion with FIFA and Best XI awards".
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Sergio Aguero who never made it to the PL best XI at the end of every season?
I think that his role and playstyle weren't held in such high regard as much as today. Just look at how people rave (rightly so) about Modric. Today it is better understood just how much influencial this type of player is. And Scholes also weighed in with fantastic goals!
Also, it's not a crime not to be considered the best when he played alongside Giggs, Cantona, Ronaldo etc, but he was amazing in his own right. Claims that he wasn't ever rated amongst our best players and that even his starter condition had question marks over it are just false.
The fact that two of the greatest midfield savants (Zidane and Xavi) hold him in such high regard is telling. This is no revisionism. It's just recognition of a player who was held in very high regard in his playing time and who was possibly even better than we thought, in the light of the technical and tactical evolution of the game.
Tells you who's opinion you can safely ignore.

Denis79

I wonder if some of the posters ever saw him play in his prime? Or maybe I'm just to romantic? I think he was absolutely fantastic.

Addled

I remember going into Old Trafford and the whole stadium was singing “Paul Scholes he scores goals......” before kick off and I will never forget that. Even now almost 20 years later I vividly remember that and I am getting goosebumps just thinking of it.

How good was he?
He was brilliant - no more, no less. Just brilliant.

lex talionis

Except one was recognised as the best midfielder of his time and the other never was in his own country, not even his own team.

Funny you mentioned Zidane who was a better player but wasn't as consistent. In most seasons there were midfielders who performed consistently better than Scholes and some were in his team. Keano and Becks were just a few. What were Scholes' stand out seasons? what were his great European or international tournament campaigns? seems he was the best because he was better than the EPL midfielders :rolleyes:

Also Scholes didn't lead us. He played a supporting role to big hitters like Beckham and Keane
United enjoyed its most greatest run after Beckham and Keane left the club. We went to win multiple domestic trophies and a CL trophy in the post Beckham/Keane years. That's not to say that Beckham and Keane weren't sensational midfielders. They of course were. But it is to say that Scholes was indispensable during was arguably United's greatest run between 07 and 13. Sure, no treble was lifted in that time and I can't argue too much with the claim that 98/99 was our strongest squad, but Scholes was important part of the 98/99 squad and arguably the most important player during the 07-13 run.

Once Beckham and Keane left, Scholes's role for the club was even more important. Of course, Ronaldo was the greater footballer and Rio and Vidic were immense, but Scholes was the glue that made it all tick during the greatest run of Ferguson's tenure. Ronaldo out, we kept winning. The constant thread between 98/99 and 12/13 were Giggs and Scholes and for me at least, Scholes > Giggs.

There's no way to prove the point on such a question, but it says a lot when SAF himself claimed that Scholes was one of only four world class players he managed at Old Trafford. The fact that SAF brought Scholes out of retirement to lead United to one last EPL trophy is mind-boggling. And that Scholes performed brilliantly is even more mind boggling. Scholes was in fact an important part of the squad in the late 1990s through the early 2000s. During his 20 years with the club United never finished out of the top four. What held Scholes back in the eyes of casual viewers was that he wasn't as audacious on or off the pitch as players like Beckham and Keane, both brilliant footballers but didn't do all their talking on the pitch. Scholes did all his talking on the pitch (a shame he's gone a bit batty as a pundit) and as far I know is the most decorated English footballer of all time. He was showered with praise by managers such as Guardiola, who had no particular reason other than the truth as he saw to single out Scholes for praise as the best midfielder of his generation.

Whether other midfielders of his generation such as Kaka were greater than Scholes, I don't know. Perhaps. But the list is very short and I wouldn't put Beckham and Keane on it.

Denis79

I remember going into Old Trafford and the whole stadium was singing “Paul Scholes he scores goals......” before kick off and I will never forget that. Even now almost 20 years later I vividly remember that and I am getting goosebumps just thinking of it.

How good was he?
He was brilliant - no more, no less. Just brilliant.
I'll never forget a warm-up before the game, I can't remember who we played but remember watching the game in London. All the other lads went in the tunnel but Scholes and Rooney stayed on for a few more minutes. Scholes took a net-bag full of balls and emptied it around the center of the pitch while Rooney was around the penalty spot. Scholes started crossing in balls to Rooney without even taking space for a run-up but crossed them standing still. I'm 100% sure each and every ball hit Rooneys chest without him having to move more than one step in any direction. Rooney took the balls down on his chest and volleyed them in to the goal while Scholes just hit the target with his beautiful floating crosses. I know they are professionals and it's probably nothing special but that's a very fond memory I have of Scholes.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Scholes was indispensable during was arguably United's greatest run between 07 and 13
arguably the most important player during the 07-13 run
Nah, can't agree with that. He didn't even start the two CL finals in 2009 and 2011, and was subbed off in 2008 as we were getting overrun in midfield. Our most important players in that era were Ronaldo, Rooney, Vidic, Rio, Carrick and VDS. The last season where he was fairly certain of his place in the starting XI was 2007/08, while 2006/07 was, I would argue, his last really great season for us.

lex talionis

Nah, can't agree with that. He didn't even start the two CL finals in 2009 and 2011, and was subbed off in 2008 as we were getting overrun in midfield. Our most important players in that era were Ronaldo, Rooney, Vidic, Rio, Carrick and VDS. The last season where he was fairly certain of his place in the starting XI was 2007/08, while 2006/07 was, I would argue, his last really great season for us.
Scholes had outstanding teammates both in 98/99 and 07/08, but he himself was an outstanding teammate of those players. And it was only Scholes and Giggs who were immense for United in both 98/99 and 07/08. And but for a blatantly wrongly decided offside call against Scholes against Porto, we probably would have won the CL trophy in 2004.

Scholes may not have had the one unforgettable season others had (Keane in 99/00 and Ronaldo 07/08), but he was consistently outstanding for United for well over a decade. Few seriously question whether he was the greatest English midfielder of his generation. The only serious question is how many non-English midfielders of his generation were greater -- 3 or 4 at most.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
I'm intrigued by the people calling the appreciation he deserves "revisionism". More like "I only watched him a couple of times and I'm backing my opinion with FIFA and Best XI awards".
Or more like. I'm backing my opinion with some quotes from other players. Like they a proof he was on level or even better than Xavi and Zidane.

In a few years, when Scholes has become even better than now, I fully expect a thread coming up.. 'Who was the better footballer, Pelé, Maradona or Scholes?'

Last edited:

Red_Ramirez

Xavi and Iniesta looked up to Scholes like he was a midfield god

Rueben Baraja and Xabi Alonso who also came up against him said he was the best midfielder around

He controlled games and scored some blockbusting goals. I remember most of them like it was yesterday. I'm getting old..

MrEleson

They of course were. But it is to say that Scholes was indispensable during was arguably United's greatest run between 07 and 13.
arguably the most important player during the 07-13 run.
I watched every game during this period and that is completely untrue. He might not have even been top 5.

The most important players during this period were:

1. Ronaldo (by far until he left in 09)
2. Rooney
3. Vidic
4. Ferdinand
5. Carrick / Giggs

Honourable mention: Van Persie (for his crucial contribution to the title success in 12/13).

Scholes wasn’t even a consistent starter after 2007. Didn’t play in the most important games at the end of the decade and even retired at one stage before returning again.

I’d say Giggs was a more consistent player for United post 2007 than Scholes was and was even awarded player of the year for the club in 2009.

Last edited:

Schneckerl

Quality control
:lol:
A quick Google search renders your comment complete rubbish. Thanks for the laugh.
Hahahaha. You can spot the babies in this thread. Keane was seen as a better player when they were active.
"bbuut SAF said that he was World Class and..." yeah, yeah in 2015. Scholes didn't have a fallout like Keane or Beckham

Last edited:

Stacks

United enjoyed its most greatest run after Beckham and Keane left the club. We went to win multiple domestic trophies and a CL trophy in the post Beckham/Keane years. That's not to say that Beckham and Keane weren't sensational midfielders. They of course were. But it is to say that Scholes was indispensable during was arguably United's greatest run between 07 and 13. Sure, no treble was lifted in that time and I can't argue too much with the claim that 98/99 was our strongest squad, but Scholes was important part of the 98/99 squad and arguably the most important player during the 07-13 run.

Once Beckham and Keane left, Scholes's role for the club was even more important. Of course, Ronaldo was the greater footballer and Rio and Vidic were immense, but Scholes was the glue that made it all tick during the greatest run of Ferguson's tenure. Ronaldo out, we kept winning. The constant thread between 98/99 and 12/13 were Giggs and Scholes and for me at least, Scholes > Giggs.

There's no way to prove the point on such a question, but it says a lot when SAF himself claimed that Scholes was one of only four world class players he managed at Old Trafford. The fact that SAF brought Scholes out of retirement to lead United to one last EPL trophy is mind-boggling. And that Scholes performed brilliantly is even more mind boggling. Scholes was in fact an important part of the squad in the late 1990s through the early 2000s. During his 20 years with the club United never finished out of the top four. What held Scholes back in the eyes of casual viewers was that he wasn't as audacious on or off the pitch as players like Beckham and Keane, both brilliant footballers but didn't do all their talking on the pitch. Scholes did all his talking on the pitch (a shame he's gone a bit batty as a pundit) and as far I know is the most decorated English footballer of all time. He was showered with praise by managers such as Guardiola, who had no particular reason other than the truth as he saw to single out Scholes for praise as the best midfielder of his generation.

Whether other midfielders of his generation such as Kaka were greater than Scholes, I don't know. Perhaps. But the list is very short and I wouldn't put Beckham and Keane on it.
No that was Ronaldo.
Actually Scholes played less and less during that run 07-13 and was managed well by Ferguson. In 2008 he missed half the season through injury and we were winning. By 09 Ferguson didn't see fit to start him in the CL final and opted for Giggs, Ando and Carrick which is the opposite of "indispensable" He was also on the bench for the Semi final vs Arsenal in both legs. We were strong in that period because we had Ronaldo, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Rooney, Carrick. In 2010 he was left out of the squad in some games, on the bench in others, and taken off often. He was managed well by the gaffer but you are overstating a lot. By the end of 2011 he was not included in squad games and came on in the CL final after 77 minutes. That is not representative of the "glue that holds it all together". in 2013 he only played a handful of games. Ferguson calling him one of his world class players means little as Ferguson has his favourites and it doesn't include those who he fell out with (Staam, Ruud, Beckham, Keane) were all left off of that list which is absurd when the rest of the footballing world saw that they clearly were.

Don't get me wrong, I felt Scholes was a class, class player but he didn't quite match the grandeur that some are claiming, during my time watching him.

.Phil1968

I thought he was a fantastic player, always found space even in the most congested midfields and his passing and shooting were terrific. I remember his testimonial and his goal in that game, great memories of a great player.

POF

He'd walk into any United team I've seen and that includes the one with Best, Law, and Charlton in it.
Except the treble winning team obviously where he was regularly dropped for Nicky Butt?

scholesyboy18

I watched every game during this period and that is completely untrue. He might not have even been top 5.

The most important players during this period were:

1. Ronaldo (by far until he left in 09)
2. Rooney
3. Vidic
4. Ferdinand
5. Carrick / Giggs

Honourable mention: Van Persie (for his crucial contribution to the title success in 12/13).

Scholes wasn’t even a consistent starter after 2007. Didn’t play in the most important games at the end of the decade and even retired at one stage before returning again.

I’d say Giggs was a more consistent player for United post 2007 than Scholes was and was even awarded player of the year for the club in 2009.
Scholes was the most consistent player that I have ever seen. He has been a phenomenal player and his bad games are very very few. Giggs is no where near consistent. He had brilliant games here and there. This is not even close.

2cents

Scout
Scholes had outstanding teammates both in 98/99 and 07/08, but he himself was an outstanding teammate of those players
He was a very valuable member of both squads, but not the main man in either midfield. His peak actually fell quite neatly between those two CL triumphs, from 99/00 to 06/07. I’d say his best years were around 2000-2004, with a particular high during 02/03 and a kind of renaissance in a deeper role during 06/07 following his injury problems, after which he was used more sparingly. But for some reason it’s the post-2006 period which seems to have become embedded in peoples' minds as embodying Scholes' career. In fact, from 08/09 onwards Ji-Sung Park was probably a more important player for us.

El Jefe

Has there ever been a player whose hype has failed to match their individual accolades as much as Paul Scholes.

If most here are to be believed that he's every bit as good if not better than Xavi, Pirlo and Iniesta and that its laughable to even suggest Gerrard is a better player then how is it his yearly accolades don't compare to there's.

I've said it many times here but Scholes has become a mythical being on here which is a shame because he was a fantastic player in his own right.

The quotes are trotted out time and again but how many times did he deliver a performance of the highest level on the biggest stage other than Barcelona away in 2008. The other players have many stand out big games.

ActionJackson

No that was Ronaldo.
Actually Scholes played less and less during that run 07-13 and was managed well by Ferguson. In 2008 he missed half the season through injury and we were winning. By 09 Ferguson didn't see fit to start him in the CL final and opted for Giggs, Ando and Carrick which is the opposite of "indispensable" He was also on the bench for the Semi final vs Arsenal in both legs. We were strong in that period because we had Ronaldo, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Rooney, Carrick. In 2010 he was left out of the squad in some games, on the bench in others, and taken off often. He was managed well by the gaffer but you are overstating a lot. By the end of 2011 he was not included in squad games and came on in the CL final after 77 minutes. That is not representative of the "glue that holds it all together". in 2013 he only played a handful of games. Ferguson calling him one of his world class players means little as Ferguson has his favourites and it doesn't include those who he fell out with (Staam, Ruud, Beckham, Keane) were all left off of that list which is absurd when the rest of the footballing world saw that they clearly were.

Don't get me wrong, I felt Scholes was a class, class player but he didn't quite match the grandeur that some are claiming, during my time watching him.
100% agree.

I think a lot of the post retirement over-hyping has been fed by media in relation to the lack of success of the England National team.

There has been a reluctance to accept that the England squads of that time, which contained many world class players, failed to win anything because they weren't good enough. So now, much like Hoddle is with England teams of the 80s, Scholes is portrayed as this underutilised football genius who would have led England to WC glory if he was played more.

The fact is, much like at United, Scholes was never the best player in the England team or the midfield yet as time passes his ability and influence gets exaggerated more and more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The best footballer England have ever produced. By a long long way.

Yes, better than the 66 team, better than Gazza, better than them all.

Except the treble winning team obviously where he was regularly dropped for Nicky Butt?
You mean squad rotation? Which is incredibly important when trying to win 3 competitions in one season. When was he "dropped"?

acnumber9

Has there ever been a player whose hype has failed to match their individual accolades as much as Paul Scholes.

If most here are to be believed that he's every bit as good if not better than Xavi, Pirlo and Iniesta and that its laughable to even suggest Gerrard is a better player then how is it his yearly accolades don't compare to there's.

I've said it many times here but Scholes has become a mythical being on here which is a shame because he was a fantastic player in his own right.

The quotes are trotted out time and again but how many times did he deliver a performance of the highest level on the biggest stage other than Barcelona away in 2008. The other players have many stand out big games.
Individual awards are definitely the mark of a player in a team sport. That’s why Scott Parker is better than Paul Scholes.

2cents

Scout
You mean squad rotation? Which is incredibly important when trying to win 3 competitions in one season. When was he "dropped"?
It wasn't really related to squad rotation, he was replaced by Johnsen and Butt in the CL away legs against Inter and Juve respectively because at that point Fergie didn't quite trust him in a two man midfield in ties like that.

scholesyboy18

The best footballer England have ever produced. By a long long way.

Yes, better than the 66 team, better than Gazza, better than them all.

Exactly. Scholes is easily not only the best English player, but certainly the top 5 footballers in terms of intelligence, movement , one/two touch passing.

El Jefe

Individual awards are definitely the mark of a player in a team sport. That’s why Scott Parker is better than Paul Scholes.
This is precisely the type of immature response you would expect from someone who has no compelling points to back up their argument.

acnumber9

This is precisely the type of immature response you would expect from someone who has no compelling points to back up their argument.
What compelling points would you like to counter your argument? It’s a shit argument. He was a regular in midfield for one of the best teams in Europe for several years being one of the most successful players to have played the game. He wasn’t a headline grabbing player, he was an integral part of a great team. You don’t need awards to confirm what can be viewed with your own eyes.

Fridge chutney

Hahahaha. You can spot the babies in this thread. Keane was seen as a better player when they were active.
"bbuut SAF said that he was World Class and..." yeah, yeah in 2015. Scholes didn't have a fallout like Keane or Beckham
Your "argument" has no substance so you resort to personal insults, and you are laughing with yourself. Well done.

LegendCantona7

How good was Paul Scholes, extremely good that did not get the recognition he deserved. Play makers have never been appreciated in English football, even to this day with Klopp and Pep around. I remember Gerrard and Lampard supporters use to use the individual award argument to justify why they were better, yet he we are in 2018 having one of the best play makers in the PL era being ignored for individual honors, his name is David Silva. I bet he would have won a few if he was playing in Spain, Germany or Italy.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Seems to be a few mentions of post retirement hype in this thread, seems more like post retirement denigration tbh.
Some don't half like to undermine the status of our ex players for some strange reason.
I hate these comparison arguments, Xavi, Iniesta and Zidane were all world class players BUT so was Scholesy.
AND he was ours.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Scholes’ vision, passing range and technical ability were beyond compare. Without a shadow of a doubt, the greatest English midfielder of the modern era and the most highly decorated to boot.

One of the games all-time greats.

Davicho

Scholes was a great player, one of the best midfielders in the history of english football, but that never was that dominant in european football. There is a myth that he could control every game at his rhytm thats not true. In the biggest games atleast thats not true. A level below Xavi, Iniesta and Modric without any doubt.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
How good was Paul Scholes, extremely good that did not get the recognition he deserved. Play makers have never been appreciated in English football, even to this day with Klopp and Pep around. I remember Gerrard and Lampard supporters use to use the individual award argument to justify why they were better, yet he we are in 2018 having one of the best play makers in the PL era being ignored for individual honors, his name is David Silva. I bet he would have won a few if he was playing in Spain, Germany or Italy.
This pains me as he is probably my favourite non-united player and I hate Citeh so much it's almost sacrilege but he's a phenomenal player.

Foxbatt

I have seen him play before and after his eye problems.
Two different kind of player. During the earlier part he was the attacking midfielder player arriving late to score goals.
After his injury he was the deep lying play maker.
What made him great was his passing ability and his vision. He can play the long pass and the short passing game.
He has the vision to open up any defense and he can score from very long range too.
The best English midfield player certainly of his generation.