g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

How good was Ryan Giggs?

lsd

The Oracle
As much a fan of him as I was I would rather never think of him again.

He destroyed his legacy for me and if ever see a clip of him playing I turn it off

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Many people will simply look at his appearances and then his goals and assists and say that Salah or Saka are miles better.

Yes his scoring stats aren't great but he was a midfielder. These wide players scoring loads of goals are now forwards.

Giggs would have scored 20 plus goals as a wide forward easily.

Comparing Stats now to even the 2010's means nothing. It's much easier to score now.

Irwin99

Glad someone finally made a comp of his Real Madrid performance. I remember the fuss that Wayne Rooney was dropped for Giggs and that performance showed precisely why it was a great move by SIr Alex. The team needed energy and a 39 year old Giggs still had it in him to put in a display like that.

On a side note, someone do a match comp of Rio Ferdinand vs Liverpool (Anfield) in 2008 or Keane against Arsenal (OT) in 2001 please :D

Valencia Shin Crosses

Giggs had far far more ability. Giggs was more like Di Maria and the City version of Sane.

Sterling's game is very limited as you can see once the goals dried up he doesn't look as good.
I think Di Maria is the best comparison for Giggs in the modern game. Both brilliant creators and top tier technicians that are rather one footed, with monstrous pace and work rate to boot. Both can also play all across the pitch if asked.

Giggs in the modern game would be most interesting as an advanced/creative 8 where he could blow through midfields with pace but still utilizing the glorious passing ability of his. Of course he could play wide too but I think that would be wasting his passing as deep crosses aren't as prevalent as they were back in his time.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
To the young people comparing Giggs to attacking forwards using stats - it doesn't work.

Giggs played wide on a 442 - his role was to get past the full back and put in crosses for the 2 strikers in the box and the midfield runners. The goals he scored were additional. If he played today he'd be a 20 a season wide attacker without doubt.

He dribbled well, had great close control, could go inside and outside, superb passing, great crosses, was good on deadball situations. There was a time where every corner was a genuine goalscoring opportunity - we didn't fk them up, the oppo really had to defend them. He made stuff too, always aggressive and going forwards, none of that sideways and backwards shite.
On the defensive side he was also world class at sliding tackles.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Unstoppable when he was hugging the touchline, ingenious when he was utilized more centrally later in his career.

The solo goal against Arsenal in the FA Cup just epitomizes the first half of his career: Pace and aggression, amazing top-speed while running with the ball and exquisite upper-body balance. He always looked in total control when he was running full-speed with the ball. Nuanced touches on the ball, little feints, changes of direction and the intelligence to go with these technical skills. He always knew what he wanted to do, and he made every touch count. Watch the goal against Juventus at OT, how he creates the angle for the shot - a seemingly impossible angle -then, you realize that it's a similar shot to the famous one in the FA Cup. And his second goal at the Delle Alpi, another famous solo run and the finish with his right foot. He knew exactly where he wanted to go.

Giggs could pass, cross, dribble, and he was suited to a short-passing game linking up with others as well as he could burst through the lines with marauding runs and make things happen in transition. That's one of the reasons why he was more than able to make the transition to the midfield. Tactically, he wasn't the absolute best there, but he could still force the issue when we had the ball with incisive and purposeful passes in the centre of the park.

The 2013 Real Madrid game that was posted was important for another reason. After the 2011 final, when Alves and the rest were breezing past him, lots of people thought of him as finished. Truth be told, he could have called it a day back then. Most decorated British player, champion of England and CL finalist. What can you expect from someone who's past 35 years of age? He pushed on, though, he kept going and he won another PL title and produced this kind of performance at the highest level. It serves as a reminder of how spoilt we were under Ferguson and how we used to take a lot of things for granted. Now, we spent hours discussing "how we should get the best out of this player", "what does this player need to flourish" or "what's his best position" etc. Everyone wants to be at the top, so saying you want it means zilch. There's a small percentage who are clever and skilful enough to get there. There's a smaller percentage who are willing to work their arses off to actually get there. And an even smaller one who will go through thick and thin to stay there.

It's a shame that he tarnished his legacy the way he did. But i can't blame the people for refusing to look past his wrongdoings.

Lynty

About as good as peak Di Maria - who was also an incredible player at Madrid.

I preferred Beckham but I wouldn’t be able to make an argument that Becks was a better winger than Giggs. So much natural talent in the 90s, then was able to adapted his game in 00s.

Talent wise, I still think Rooney was more talented than Giggs. And it’s easy to make comparisons to another left footed Welshman in Bale, who was also a level above Giggs at his peak.

Crashoutcassius

I like the NFL. There are so many scumbags in the NFL that years ago I had to decide if I can separate that or not from watching the sport. I decided to still watch the sport and not sweat it. I kinda think of Giggs like that. I ament going to endorse him but I'll appreciate his football and forget the rest

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Some people might think the question is daft, but how would people compare Giggs vs Sterling. Both very fast. Wingers. Dribblers. Giggs of course had this grace to his game and way running that Sterling didnt. Sterling runs like a chicken. But Sterling has had more seasons where he has scored a lot more goals than giggs.
Giggs makes Sterling look average. The two are incomparable. I don’t know anyone that would try to make a case for Raheem being even close.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I think Di Maria is the best comparison for Giggs in the modern game. Both brilliant creators and top tier technicians that are rather one footed, with monstrous pace and work rate to boot. Both can also play all across the pitch if asked.

Giggs in the modern game would be most interesting as an advanced/creative 8 where he could blow through midfields with pace but still utilizing the glorious passing ability of his. Of course he could play wide too but I think that would be wasting his passing as deep crosses aren't as prevalent as they were back in his time.
Giggs was miles better than Di Maria. And Di Maria was brilliant.

This thread has made me realise how much Giggs’ second career playing centrally has made people forget how unplayable he was as a winger.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
He was one of the best players this club has ever had. He was mesmerising at his best on the left wing, the perfect winger in a 442, and his latter years he matured and continued to excel despite the lack of pace. He had a small lull in form i think i remember while he managed his injuries but he came back and was a real asset to the team.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain

This thread has made me realise how much Giggs’ second career playing centrally has made people forget how unplayable he was as a winger.
Arjen Robben? With regards to his agility and ability to ride challenges, change of pace, dynamic, unbelievable left foot. But Giggsy did it over a much longer period at the highest level so still out does him, but playing style wise as a winger?

Valencia Shin Crosses

I mean “miles better” is such a gross overrating of Giggs that I just have to laugh. I rate Giggs higher too especially over the course of his absurdly long career but come on.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The ultimate wonderkid.
Young Giggs the real deal, frightening pace, and the most exciting part of what was a great team.

Makes you remember the glory days of a proper 4-4-2. Centre mids who can do a bit of everything. Two pacey flying wingers who can cross on their strong foot.
Full backs who can defend, yet get up and down. Centre backs who defended first, especially in the air.
And 2 proper strikers for crosses.

Glorious.

miked99

The kind of player that as a fan you felt blessed to watch.

I remember when he was 40 and playing in centre mid, and he could still casually go past people whilst making it look like it was no real effort :lol:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Not many elite players could repeat his insane effort vs Arsenal, but then again he almost repeat himself vs Juve in CL.

Young Cristiano was probably the only one who tried these kind of runs... and Ruud that one time.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I mean “miles better” is such a gross overrating of Giggs that I just have to laugh. I rate Giggs higher too especially over the course of his absurdly long career but come on.
He was though. Di Maria is Ribery to Giggs’ Robben. All four are properly great and among the best wide players ever. But two of those four were head and shoulders above the other two.

It’s all opinions. Di Maria and Ribery were very special. But I have them in the level below with the likes of Mane, Beckham etc.

Giggs and Robben are in the pot with Laudrup and Figo. Rarified air. He really was that good in my opinion.

Orion.

Better than Scholes, and should have been moved into central midfield much earlier. Better touch, dribbling, better intricate passing…..Absolute phenom of a footballer who is hugely underrated due to of the pitch issues.

Red & White

Unbelievably talented player. An absolutely phenomenal old fashioned winger. My favourite player by a country mile in the 90s.

lsd

The Oracle
What about George Best?

Never saw him play so don't have that emotional memory plus he was an alcoholic.

Giggs is just a piece of crap who thought he could do what he wanted with people's lives.

Moriarty

The ultimate wonderkid.
Young Giggs the real deal, frightening pace, and the most exciting part of what was a great team.

Makes you remember the glory days of a proper 4-4-2. Centre mids who can do a bit of everything. Two pacey flying wingers who can cross on their strong foot.
Full backs who can defend, yet get up and down. Centre backs who defended first, especially in the air.
And 2 proper strikers for crosses.

Glorious.
Hos breakthrough season 1991/92 was a joy to behold. He had the lot. Loved watching him take on seasoned defenders and just glide past them. Hadn't seem much like that since Best was around.

Kopral Jono

I always though Giggs had more to his game and much more unpredictable. Not saying he was better, although I would argue that as well, but he was a different player in a different system. Robben is more similar to the modern Salahs of the world. If Giggs had played on the right, he might have been more similar to Robben.
I think you're right in that Giggs cannot be directly compared to Robben, but for the love of God I can't think of any player in the 2010s generation who is remotely close to him in terms of playing style. Prime Real Di Maria is a good shout but even he didn't glide, so to speak, up and down his flank the way Giggsy did.

Wolfbot

He's the reason I support Manchester Utd. Saw some games as a 6 year old and watching the way Giggs played blew me away. He was such an exciting, explosive player. Would have got into any team in the world.

He was at his best as a winger but the fact he managed to reinvent himself as a high quality central midfielder and play at at high level until he was forty speaks volumes for his ability, football intelligence and dedication. One of, if not the best Utd player ever.

As a footnote I don't understand what some people actually mean by world class if the likes of Giggs and Robben are not exactly that. Do they hold it out for the Messi's and Maradona's? Reserving world class for only the very best players to ever play the game. World class surely simply means that you are of a similar level to the best players in the world at the time, Giggs certainly was that.

Reactions: roonster09

berbasloth4

Giggsy is best of the best. One best wingers ever and in later years a great middle man. I believe his best was probably his younger years. He literally coulda played for any club in world at his time

MUFC OK

Jesus Christ, I'm starting to feel like how my
dad must have felt telling me how good George Best was...

Giggs, Neville, Scholes, Keane... they were fecking phenomenal players, who played for, arguably the best team in the world at the time as nailed on starters.. I pity any Utd fans who didn't get to see them in their prime.
RT.

Unequivocally world class. 3rd best United winger ever after George Best and Ronaldo.

redcafe_reader

Beside his obvious technical quality, the thing I really like about him is how smart he is and how he always seems to pick the good option to process and doesn't care if it will lead to his goal or his assist. It's really a big contrast to our current player who mostly always try to improve their goal/assist/xg/xa/xetc stat before thinking about the team.

Just rewatch CR7 or Rooney goals video, and Giggs really stand out in both.

Ladron de redcafe

Beside his obvious technical quality, the thing I really like about him is how smart he is and how he always seems to pick the good option to process and doesn't care if it will lead to his goal or his assist. It's really a big contrast to our current player who mostly always try to improve their goal/assist/xg/xa/xetc stat before thinking about the team.

Just rewatch CR7 or Rooney goals video, and Giggs really stand out in both.
I think that was more true as he matured. By 2009 onwards, he was a genius and he seemed to be one step ahead of everyone else. He would scan the pitch and seemed to know where everyone was.

But I don't remember that being the case when he was in his prime. If anything, he was criticised for his decision making. He seemed to go into blind alleys dribbling with his head down, which is completely at odds with the player he morphed into.

I just don't think we got the world class version of Giggs that we really should have gotten had he combined his physical gifts and abilities at a younger age with his footballing intelligence in later years.

Scottynaldinho

He was one of those players who were still people class if he was playing today in the modern game.

Infact, he would be even better in the modern game than he was in back in the day. Because of his sheer pace, technique, dribbling, tenacity, ability to play across the pitch and the ability to create, to cross and to score the goals. He would undoubtedly be even better in today's game than he was with the modern coaching.

Most of the modern fans saw the latter part of his career when he was a completely different player, which in itself was an accomplishment the way he reinvented himself.

Cloud7

I do regret that I didn't get to see the younger Giggs live, only in video clips and such, but the version from early-mid 2000s that I can actually remember was such a monster of a player...hard to imagine that he was even more exciting than that at some point