How great was Rivaldo?

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I agree that he was definitely the best player in the world for a period, and his season at Depor in 1996/1997 before he joined Barcelona when he was outstanding shouldn't be forgotten as well. Plus there was his master class and goals against Denmark in the 1998 World Cup quarter-finals, and this piece of skill and 'almost goal' against Depor though at least he provided an assist for Saviola:

Baneofthegame

Just making a cheap joke on your expense, sorry. You've managed to somehow make a comment that looked a lot like an old caf meme (that's already been mentioned in half of the posts in the thread).
Yeah reading it back it now it’s much clearer, haha.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Deffo underrated in that people often leave him out of GOAT conversations
To be fair, he doesn't really belong in GOAT conversations. Definitely in the tier below that hallowed bracket, though (around the likes of Rummenigge). Part of that is due to him being hard to pin down or classify, and being somewhat limited — e.g. Maradona can be characterized with his dribbling and leadership and passing, Beckenbauer can be characterized with his adroitness and 6th sense and organizational nous, et cetera — and both made the whole team tick. Rivaldo was a difference-maker but with a less profound impact on the general proceeding (a greater and more talented version of Griezmann for all intents and purposes), didn't posses a trademark style, didn't preside over his era and didn't make a comparable impact on the very fabric of the game. Plus, wrt. the underrating and the narrative surrounding him, he was at odds with the stereotypical view of dreamy larger-than-life Brazilian attacking artists in that while he had exquisite technique he often preferred to keep things simple and took the most cynical routes to goal (a characteristic/mentality that was more associated with continental attackers).

That last aspect definitely shines through in Ronaldinho vs. Rivaldo arguments where the former is given an edge on the basis of his playmaking/ball-carrying ability and entertainment value and immaculate control — even though Rivaldo was the more accomplished and intelligent footballer of the two while possessing lesser “natural talent”, statistically superior as a forward and made more consistent contributions in a myriad teams over the course his career. Similar sentiments trickle down while discussing the likes of Robben as well — a player who don't always garner appropriate acclaim and was undermined for much of the contemporary period because he isn't necessarily dazzling spectators with flamboyant skills...instead preferring to keep things as uncomplicated and direct as possible.

Back to Rivaldo, while he disappointed in the final of the 1998 World Cup...instead of rising to the occasion cometh the hour style (counts as a sore spot in the resumé), he was key to Brazil reaching that stage in the first place (most notably with the 2nd and 3rd goals in the comeback vs. Denmark). And while Ronaldo was exalted for his goalscoring exploits in the 2002 World Cup because he was adored by practically everyone and football as a whole was more emotionally invested his his story/redemption-arc, Rivaldo was arguably Brazil's best player in the tournament — scoring or assisting a total of 7 goals, and again making crucial contributions vs. Belgium and England and Turkey...as well as Germany in the final. Would no doubt rate him among the 2 best Seleção attackers of the last 20-25 years as he sizzled in the 1999 Copa América too...

Excellent profile video btw, @Raees — hopefully the first of many to come in the Classical player analysis series! :)

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
There was a period when Zidane, Figo and Rivaldo being the best 3 player and also attacking midfielder in the game.
Then of course in Brazil we have the 3R era too.
World class player during his peak, his hat trick in Barca vs Valencia is one of the all time best hat trick and individual performance in a game. He also won Ballon D'or once. But similar to most Brazil players in his time, his peak didn't last long.

If comparing to current players, he is probably at similar level as Neymar.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
SIR ALEX FERGUSON has revealed that Barcelona have resisted all attempts to prise Rivaldo away from Camp Nou.
Manchester United are one of the clubs who have tried to test the water in the past with regards to a move for the magical Brazilian, while Lazio also appear to have conceded defeat in their blockbusting bid to sign him for a world record fee this summer.

"As for Rivaldo, there has never been an occasion when Barcelona have been prepared to sell," the Scot revealed on United's official website.

"I don't think there was ever a possibility of bringing Zinedine Zidane over here. I think his wife prefers to be in that part of the world."

Ferguson, responding to fans' e-mailed questions, claimed he was only chasing four top targets this summer, rather than the six he was quoted as wanting, and that he is content with Ruud van Nistelrooy and Juan Sebastian Veron's arrival.

"I don't think there were six," he stated. "We had a target of four, excluding van Nistelrooy.

"We looked at where we could get a player to improve us.

"Van Nistelrooy was one, Veron was another, and we got him.

"We'd have liked another top defender but we didn't get him. But we're happy with what we have."

Presumably, Bixente Lizarazu and Lilian Thuram were the two defensive targets who slipped through the net.

Looking back, Ferguson would have loved to bring Gabriel Batistuta to Old Trafford, to partner French talisman Eric Cantona.

"I'd have thought somebody like Batistuta would have been the perfect partner for Eric Cantona," he declared. "Someone who could run through, a powerful hitter of the ball.

"Batistuta would be good - quick and aggressive. Eric liked that kind of player, who he could thread passes through to."

And, as for the future, Ferguson identified some of the names who will be hitting the headlines after he has stepped down as manager of The Red Devils.

"We've got some terrific prospects at Old Trafford," he enthused. "Darren Fletcher, who we hope will get over his broken leg, is good.

"Michael Stewart and Luke Chadwick are doing very well, and John O'Shea's doing well too.

"There's a young left back called Paul Tierney who's doing well, as is Danny Pugh. But there's a young boy who has started now, he's 16, called Kieran Richardson.

"He's going to be a fantastic player."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/2213771/fergie-barca-wont-let-rivaldo-go

Read this old article a few days ago but couldn't find anywhere appropriate to post it at the time.

buckooo1978

He's one of those great players where just the one more great performance could have made a massive difference to how he's rated. That being the 98 final where he had the chance to step up and become the hero of Brazil in the wake of whatever happened to Ronaldo. Instead he went into a shell like most of the rest of the team.

I don't really compare him to Zidane much, imo they were very different players and it's a lot like the Giggs vs Bale comparison in terms of strengths/weaknesses. Zidane much more of a midfielder and playmaker/orchestrator of the team, where Rivaldo was very much a player that liked to finish things himself if given a half chance. Very direct, great offensive skills and while a complete player with good vision that could certainly pick a clever pass out more than a Bale, he was never a consistent playmaker in mindset or someone that i saw dictate the tempo of games much. His strength was more as a pure offensive force that could decide the game himself from anywhere near the box regularly.
great post

it's funny that these crunch moments when one player makes the difference that flavours people's minds

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He flew under the radar in the more mainstream football audience as Ronaldo was the poster boy Brazilian while Zidane produced his best moments when the world was watching. But week-to-week I thought he was the most influential attacking player from 1998 through to 2002, with shorter periods during that time when Zidane (eg Euro 2000) or Figo rose to the top.

In terms of his standing amongst other Brazilian legends, it's quite difficult to compare when they bring such unique and rarefied qualities to the table. For instance between Ronaldinho's touch and manipulation of a ball in tight areas, Garrincha's unpredictable dribbling, Romario's elusive penalty-box finishing, Pele and Ronaldo's pacey ball-carrying, they were all the best of all time (or thereabouts) in each of those aspects of attacking play. At the same level, Rivaldo's main strength was the quality of his left foot which made him a threat from anywhere within 40 yards of the opposite goal, aligned with the ability to conjure space in advanced positions, be it through dribbling, technique or imagination. Comparing achievements, he has a compelling case to have the most impressive major tournament CV of any Brazilian since Pele. Two strong World Cups - the best left-sided attacker in 1998 - and probably the best overall in 2002 - plus a completely dominant Copa America win in 1999. That surpasses what many of the other greats - Rivelino, Zico, Falcao, Romario, Ronaldinho, Neymar - have delivered for the Selecao. It's probably only Ronaldo iwho has delivered the goods to the same extent at the top level for Brazil since the 1958/1962 generation.

High quality video @Raees - well researched and presented.

Litch

As good as anyone on his day. He was in a era where there was some ridiculous quality around. That should take nothing away from his quality

led_scholes

Great player. Top 5 in his generation. I was lucky enough to watch him play every week when he came to play for 4 years in Greece. Despite his age (he came 32) and after a failed stint in AC Milan, he proved that he still had it, albeit in a worse league. He almost singlehandedly defeated eliminated Liverpool in 2005. He was also a great professional and a player who cared for football, not just for money. When Olympiacos released him in 2007, he cried but he went to another team with less money than what Olympiacos had offered him, just to prove he was still the best. He almost won the league with AEK, which he eventually did not, because of a huge scandal which allowed his former team to be crowned champions again.

bp19992

Does that youtube song still exist? "Rivaldo was a great player, but a difficult personality.."
Would add it to my spotify list.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
This is a story right about how
Rivaldo's life got flipped turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute
Just sit right there
I'll tell you how he became a winger of instead of a ten full of flair.

In west Brazil born and raised
On the playground was where he spent most of his days
Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
And all shootin some football outside of the school
When a Louis Van Gall who was up to no good
Started make Rivaldo switching up on his mood
They got in one little fight and Van Gaal declared
He said 'You're movin' to the left wing with Franky de Boer

Josh 76

One of the best.
Ronaldo. Rivaldo. Ronaldino

The talked the talk....and walked the walk.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Slightly better than peak Henry, not quite as good as peak Ronaldinho.
Where have the players like Rivaldo, Ronaldinho & Henry gone?

Don't seem to exist in the modern era for some reason? There are super athletes like Messi and Ronaldo 7, in the previous era it seems there were a lot more high flair insanely talented players around. They didn't peak as long but arguably had higher peaks.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Performed just as good as Ronaldo (if not better) at the 98 and 02 World Cup

fergies coat

He was underrated. How a united player never won the World of the year award in 1999 is a travesty though.

Barcelona were knocked out in the CL group stages. Brazil did win the copa America though. It goes to show the complete biased towards la liga players in these awards.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I'd rate him better than Neymar tbh.

Played huge part in Brazil winning 2002 world cup and was really carrying Barca in late 90s and early 00s. Barca were pretty rubbish in that period, finished one season 6th and only finished 4th in 2001 due to the hat trick he scored v Valencia. I'm sure everyone remembers that last minute overhead kick which is one of my favourite ever goals. :drool:

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Good player I will say more direct that the normal Brazilian attacker, almost European in footballing style

His best performances to me, vs Valencia 3-2 for the CL qualifying game
vs AC Milan 3-3
At many times he was the main attacking threat for Barcelona at a time they were not as good as the recent Barca side

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
His season in Deportivo was incredible. His first seasons at Barcelona too but he played in a Barcelona too gray.
A transfer from a great Palmeiras to a secondary team in Spain with 23 years and with that potential It would be impossible nowadays.
I think that lengthening his career so much harmed him regarding the opinion of the fan

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
He was incredible and one of the greats. The only reason he isn't looked at as greater is because of Ronaldinho and Messi's greater success that followed him at Barca.

One of the greatest individual performances I've seen is him against us in the CL in the treble season at the Nou Camp. We were all over Barcelona and they couldn't handle us but Rivaldo was a one man army in the second half and equalised twice for Barca to make it 3-3. They almost ended up winning due to a wonder strike that hit the bar from him and a nailed on assist if not for Big Pete.

In fact that's still one of my favourite games despite the draw.

Attacking football away from home at Barcelona.. That's what I miss.

RooneyLegend

He was a truly great player. Really great in the final third. Amazing technique, some of the best I've seen. His ball striking was out of this world. Ilicic reminds me alot of him.

No idea why some compare him to Zidane, completely different players. Completely different attributes. While Zizou mostly let his passing game do the talking and pretty much ran things for his teams, Rivaldo was an executioner for his teams.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Great video and analysis @Raees .
Cheers Joga.

To be fair, he doesn't really belong in GOAT conversations. Definitely in the tier below that hallowed bracket, though (around the likes of Rummenigge). Part of that is due to him being hard to pin down or classify, and being somewhat limited — e.g. Maradona can be characterized with his dribbling and leadership and passing, Beckenbauer can be characterized with his adroitness and 6th sense and organizational nous, et cetera — and both made the whole team tick. Rivaldo was a difference-maker but with a less profound impact on the general proceeding (a greater and more talented version of Griezmann for all intents and purposes), didn't posses a trademark style, didn't preside over his era and didn't make a comparable impact on the very fabric of the game. Plus, wrt. the underrating and the narrative surrounding him, he was at odds with the stereotypical view of dreamy larger-than-life Brazilian attacking artists in that while he had exquisite technique he often preferred to keep things simple and took the most cynical routes to goal (a characteristic/mentality that was more associated with continental attackers).

That last aspect definitely shines through in Ronaldinho vs. Rivaldo arguments where the former is given an edge on the basis of his playmaking/ball-carrying ability and entertainment value and immaculate control — even though Rivaldo was the more accomplished and intelligent footballer of the two while possessing lesser “natural talent”, statistically superior as a forward and made more consistent contributions in a myriad teams over the course his career. Similar sentiments trickle down while discussing the likes of Robben as well — a player who don't always garner appropriate acclaim and was undermined for much of the contemporary period because he isn't necessarily dazzling spectators with flamboyant skills...instead preferring to keep things as uncomplicated and direct as possible.

Back to Rivaldo, while he disappointed in the final of the 1998 World Cup...instead of rising to the occasion cometh the hour style (counts as a sore spot in the resumé), he was key to Brazil reaching that stage in the first place (most notably with the 2nd and 3rd goals in the comeback vs. Denmark). And while Ronaldo was exalted for his goalscoring exploits in the 2002 World Cup because he was adored by practically everyone and football as a whole was more emotionally invested his his story/redemption-arc, Rivaldo was arguably Brazil's best player in the tournament — scoring or assisting a total of 7 goals, and again making crucial contributions vs. Belgium and England and Turkey...as well as Germany in the final. Would no doubt rate him among the 2 best Seleção attackers of the last 20-25 years as he sizzled in the 1999 Copa América too...

Excellent profile video btw, @Raees — hopefully the first of many to come in the Classical player analysis series! :)
Great post - the Griezmann comparison is particularly apt, and thanks mate!

@Neil_Buchanan

Roy Keane wanted him here too and wanted us to break the bank. Rivaldo had the following to say...

“Sir Alex Ferguson always said good things about me when I faced them, so I have a particular affection for the club and it would be my choice if I was allowed to pick any club in the Premier League.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...barcelona-manchester-united-transfer-18102906

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He was an 8 out of 10 Ronaldo and an 8 out of 10 Ronaldinho.

Direct but never powerful. Skilful but never inventive.

Loved watching him

Spoony

The People's President
I didn't think we were seriously pursuing Rivaldo - I was wrong. Apparently Fergie wanted Thuram and Lizarazu as well. Now that would've been some team. And it's such a shame we didn't offer big wages in the 90s or else we would've had Batistuta partnering Cantona. Oh well. As for Rivaldo he was a great player.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
- At one point he is the best player in the world, and Ballon D'or winner.

- Forms a great 3R attack with Ronaldo and Ronaldinho, and won the WC. Arguably the best player in WC too.

- Scored a brilliant hat trick vs Valencia in crucial final day of La Liga season. Probably the best hattrick I've seen from any player.

- Hs playacting incident in WC was truly ridicolous.

In terms of his standing in my ranked system (players I've seen):

Tier 1: Messi, Ronaldo, Maradona
Tier 2: L.Ronaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho
Tier 3: Baggio, Romario, Rivaldo, Figo, Xavi, Inesta, Henry

GueRed

I didn't think we were seriously pursuing Rivaldo - I was wrong. Apparently Fergie wanted Thuram and Lizarazu as well. Now that would've been some team. And it's such a shame we didn't offer big wages in the 90s or else we would've had Batistuta partnering Cantona. Oh well. As for Rivaldo he was a great player.
Fergie wanted him in 1999, maybe in 2001 as well I think.

The main issue with Rivaldo as was with many big targets in the 90's was his personal terms. The wages.

In 1999 Rivaldo's weekly wage was at least three times above what we paying our top player at that moment.

Martin Edwards and the board back then were not prepared to break the wage structure.

Stacks

- At one point he is the best player in the world, and Ballon D'or winner.

- Forms a great 3R attack with Ronaldo and Ronaldinho, and won the WC. Arguably the best player in WC too.

- Scored a brilliant hat trick vs Valencia in crucial final day of La Liga season. Probably the best hattrick I've seen from any player.

- Hs playacting incident in WC was truly ridicolous.

In terms of his standing in my ranked system (players I've seen):

Tier 1: Messi, Ronaldo, Maradona
Tier 2: L.Ronaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho
Tier 3: Baggio, Romario, Rivaldo, Figo, Xavi, Inesta, Henry
Thats a good ranking system. Kind of how I see them too. The tier 4 would have the likes of Zlatan

thepolice123

If I'm not wrong Veron's wages was 90k/week when he signed in 2001.

The best time to sign Rivaldo was probably 99 or before. He was essentially done after winning WC2002.