How 'important' are football tactics?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Does the modern fan place too much emphasis on the system used by managers? Has football manager fooled us into thinking in every given game there was a right and wrong way to set up the side and are we in danger of ignoring other facets of the game which influence results such as psychology, fitness, environment, player quality and luck.

Now this is not a criticism that can be levelled at professional managers as such as they do not seem to fall into that trap as often, although you could argue some in the game do not give enough attention to tactics or even sports psychology - and you could argue someone like Mourinho does not give enough importance to fitness (constantly forcing his men to play through injury) but certainly the average armchair fan is consuming more tactical analysis than ever and it can be quite annoying to see every goal or incident boiled down to... X pressed Y into making this mistake and that is why this goal ocurred aka this was a deliberate strategy, rather than seeing it for what it was, a moment of chance or a punt.

If you had to come up with a rough ratio of what influences football matches the most, what would you come up with i.e. 30% fitness, 25% player skill, 25% mentality etc? which factors are the most important?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I like to think most "tactical masterclasses" were essentially "mental masterclasses". I think being mentally prepared for a game trumps tactics. Also think line-up + formation influences games more than tactics.

However, there are tactics that have been successful such as Mourinho putting Herrera on Hazard in 2016/17, shutting Hazard down completely.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If anything tactics are still underrated in mainstream football discourse, where vague and (crucially) unprovable qualities like "hunger" and "bottle" regularly get trotted out by bad pundits as the reasons for teams losing.

As for how important tactics are, it depends what you mean by "tactics". If you're including the underlying principles that will apply for the team in every single game then I'd say they're very important. If we're just talking about game-specific tweaks and ideas then much less so.

Assuming the latter case, 5% maybe? Less, probably. Most of what counts will be in place before a team starts preparing for a given game.

OmarUnited4ever

As important as is the tactics and game plans developed by the manager and coaches, i strongly believe that other elements are very important too, if i put a number on them, then it would be: -

1. Fitness - 30%
  2. Form - 10%
  3. Player quality - 10%
  4. Mentality = 20%
  5. Luck - 5%
  6. Tactics - 25%
but i also think there are other important elements that precedes the above ones such as training , coaching, players acquisition, play style and more but the topic is what influences a football match

Reactions: Cheimoon

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think they are vital at the highest level where games are decided by small details.

I like to think most "tactical masterclasses" were essentially "mental masterclasses". I think being mentally prepared for a game trumps tactics. Also think line-up + formation influences games more than tactics.

However, there are tactics that have been successful such as Mourinho putting Herrera on Hazard in 2016/17, shutting Hazard down completely.
Irwin on McManaman? It might not have been Irwin, but It was someone you didn’t expect to man mark him the entire game.

Tactics clearly play a part. But, yih don’t see it come off spectacularly very often. In a similar way to when a manager makes a great substitution- yet they make 2-3 in most matches.

it annoys me if someone starts posting comparison stats to show how one player is better than another. Interceptions per game for example. Player A has 1.2 per game, whilst Player B has 1.4.

Stats help football, but when a came is often decided by a single goal, they are mostly redundant. It works for games such as cricket, or American Football - but not so much in football.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They can be huge.

Especially if a manager wants to play defensively, you only have to look at Jose teams recently - too many instructions can be confusing. You’re losing 1-0 and naturally want to chase the game, but at the same time you have to stay in shape and follow your instructions or risk being cast out of the team.

Obviously players at this level are more than capable of using a formation and just going out there and playing, but a good manager will notice little differences like “concentrate down their left wing, the rb is in poor form” etc.

most management is done at the training ground behind the scenes, but some managers do excel more in fluid game situations and realising when/how to change games to turn a game.

I suppose tactics are just a by word for doing better in a match, so sure they’re important but they need to be correct in the situation.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think they are vital at the highest level where games are decided by small details.
This is also true. If a team has been able to make it to the CL final, you can probably take it as read that they're handling the more important aspects pretty damn well. At that point the advantages you gain in the margins could be decisive.

gajender

I can't put any %age on overall importance of tactics but can't agree with any body who puts actual players skills at anywhere other then most important part it's simply the most critical element for success.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
As important as is the tactics and game plans developed by the manager and coaches, i strongly believe that other elements are very important too, if i put a number on them, then it would be: -

1. Fitness - 30%
  2. Form - 10%
  3. Player quality - 10%
  4. Mentality = 20%
  5. Luck - 5%
  6. Tactics - 25%
but i also think there are other important elements that precedes the above ones such as training , coaching, players acquisition, play style and more but the topic is what influences a football match
Don't like that percentage breakdown at all. Actual player quality is comfortably the most important factor, I would think. And "form" is a very vague concept in sport when compared other more tangible factors. Or indeed just "chance", which the supposed effect of form is largely indistinguishable from.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't really understand the context of the question but I'll say this. The most important things in sport are the players and their skills, that's what determine everything and particularly the tactics and tactical context of a game. As for tactics themselves, in a competitive environment they are crucial because very often professional sport is about margins, there isn't actually a large gap between the teams competing with each others and tactics give an edge to the better coached teams by either exploiting a weakness in the opposition or maximising a strength in your own team. All tactics are meant to be at the service of the players skills.

Now one thing that does irk me is when fans and pundits acts as if footballers were robots that could be programmed instantly and apply the tactics of their dreams, that's where tactics are in my opinion overrated. An example being the obsession with high and aggressive pressing, not every team is supposed to do that because not every team has players with required athleticism and skills to do it.

Last edited:

Anustart89

10% Luck
20% Skill
15% Concentrated power of will
5% Pleasure
50% Pain
100% reason to remember the name

OmarUnited4ever

Don't like that percentage breakdown at all. Actual player quality is comfortably the most important factor, I would think. And "form" is a very vague concept in sport when compared other more tangible factors. Or indeed just "chance", which the supposed effect of form is largely indistinguishable from.

its rough to breakdown of course, and in many cases the players' quality is more than enough to secure a win.

as for form, i know it's intangible metric, but it could relate to confidence and the psychological state of the player's mind, and i believe it influences a football game, a striker low on confidence will probably rush and scuff his chance, and another striker on top form will take the chance and score it 8 times out of 10

He'sRaldo

Depends on what you mean by tactics.

Tactical ideas, or their actual implementation?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I liked the sentence "managers have to consider all factors and set up his team accordingly". This is what tactics are. Good tacticians make teams play better than sum of their parts - there is a lot of examples of that. Even relying on one individual is a tactic, especially for smaller teams - limited, for sure, but it's still tactics because other players get the instruction to work for the main man. It's a total waste if a club like Tottenham do that though.

I believe most people get that manager will set up his team differently if some players will be tired or injured, and that rotation plays a big role. A manager will work on different tactics and come up with a variety of solutions. For example in difficult games Ole always goes for Fred-McTominay conservative midfield because he needs energy to cover for Bruno and forwards. In games where we don't expect to be pressed he goes for Pogba in midfield, because he's that additional threat from deep. It's interesting to watch us transform this season, I think we've made some big progress under Ole - currently we're using fullbacks more and more, adding another dimension to our attacking game.

What I think most people don't get is strategy and how it impacts everything else. For example transfer strategy is often disrupted by losing key players - worst case scenario you can't find a replacement and whole tactics need to be changed. When we sold Ronaldo we had time to prepare for that - whether we did or did not is a different discussion. The same goes for Pogba now, but I'd argue how important player he is for us.

Regarding luck, I think it plays big role in Cups, in League not so much.

redrobed

When we somehow find ourselves in a title race having spent very little (compared to rivals) and with a manager who - as much as he’s a legend - doesn’t know tactics, makes you really question what does and doesn’t matter

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Irwin on McManaman? It might not have been Irwin, but It was someone you didn’t expect to man mark him the entire game.

Tactics clearly play a part. But, yih don’t see it come off spectacularly very often. In a similar way to when a manager makes a great substitution- yet they make 2-3 in most matches.

it annoys me if someone starts posting comparison stats to show how one player is better than another. Interceptions per game for example. Player A has 1.2 per game, whilst Player B has 1.4.

Stats help football, but when a came is often decided by a single goal, they are mostly redundant. It works for games such as cricket, or American Football - but not so much in football.
No one has ever said Player A is better than Player B overall because of an interception per game differential of 0.2

We don't even do that shit here in the US, home of stats and in-game ads

MileStolar

Jones doing job on Bale when he was on top of his game was beautiful by sir Alex too.

Edit: How often do we see nowadays players having one man job of keeping certain player from influencing the game? It's quite unusual thing, to me it's like trading queens early on in a chess game because your opponent knows how to use it very well so you give up some of your strength to weaken their main one.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Tactics is the most important thing. Look at City. They have excellent team but it is not "plug and play team" with which you can play any tactics and win games. But they look like a well oiled maschine on the pitch. Even when they miss few players they are still playing great.
Leeds; they have average team but playing well above their quality. Tactics again.
That is why some managers are rated as world class and others are not.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
'Tactics' is a very broad brush and that can be influenced by the managers 'philosophy' on how they play the game. However I agree completely with @sullydnl. Tactics are often an afterthought from an armchair perspective. If anything that's where good managers adapt and excel. We may not like the football that say a Shaun Dyche uses but his tactics are very effective in terms of trying to nullify the opposition, low block, aggressive closing down of space, overload the keeper etc. No way his tactics could be low tempo possession football. It's not his style / philosophy, not does he have the players to do it.

Same with Pep, Flood the midfield with full backs, and play a high line so effectively you can play at a very high tempo on half of the pitch. MCFC start attacking phases from the half way line and pin teams in. The opposition are sitting so deep they are starting sometimes deeper than the 18 yard box. So when you see heat maps of MCFC players, it is a lot of dynamic runs in shorter spaces because of Pep's tactics. Personally abhore watching Pepball, compared to his time at Barca, there was some magic and dare I say unexpected football. This incarnation of total football that the purists brainwash us into believing is the 'right way' is not to my tastes and utterly dull as dish water. That said he has adapted his tactics over time and credit to him for that. Although his current formation is nothing new, if anything it's a throw back to football from the 50's with inside forwards and wingers.

The real enigma though is Mourhinio in his tactical approach. It seems he is going the same way of a Howard Wilkinson, Sam Allardyce in that he does not change philosophy or tactics, dare I say learn how adapt as the game evolves? He would have you believe that he plays attacking football as can be seen by having four offensive players on the field e.g Kane, Son, Lamella, Lucas Moura. However when you see how they set up, it was to counter from deep with Son often starting from deep in his own half. You could say that is the wrong tactic against MCFC who have you pinned in with no space for runners.

Flanders Devil

Not a direct answer to the OP, but I think:
75%?of the time the team with the best skilled players wins.
10% of the time an inferior team will beat a superior team based on desire / work rate alone
10% of the time an inferior team will beat a superior team based on tactics alone.
2.5% of the time an inferior team will beat a superior team based on luck.
2.5% of the time an inferior team will beat a superior team based on a referees decision.

so I essentially agree with @JPRouve - mostly it’s the players and skill. But the other aspects play a part because the margins ata professional level are so small.

* and note - I do understand my numbers aren’t mutually exclusive nor to they need to add up to 100%, but that’s roughly how I would proportion things for relative comparison.

Blackwidow

I think that tactical preparation prior to the match is very important - either if it is team tactics that can neglect the strength of another team or emphasize the own strengths - or individual preparation of the player about the strengths and weaknesses of the player(s) he has to play against.

How much that counts in each match depends on the situation - it can be very important in some matches but can not be in other matches. In can bring teams in better situation - but at the end it is important that the single player performs.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
In high-level football, tactics is just one component of the way a coach manages a group of players.

Good players + Good tactics = good team
Good players + bad tactics = average team
Bad players + good tactics = bad team
Bad players + bad tactics = very bad team

The Original

In high-level football, tactics is just one component of the way a coach manages a group of players.

Good players + Good tactics = good team
Good players + bad tactics = average team
Bad players + good tactics = bad team
Bad players + bad tactics = very bad team
Average team. For example, Leeds have a bottom-half of the table/Championship squad that is overperforming.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It's important but to what degree depends on the makeup of the squad.

If you have a squad largely made up of peak players (ala Real 15-18, Chelsea 07-10) you can be relatively (emphasis on relatively) a bit more relaxed with your tactical approaches as they will to a point be able to navigate through games themself. If you have a squad largely made up of young impressionable/developing players (ala Dortmund usually, Chelsea currently) then you need a hipster type manager who won't leave a stone unturned.

Drainy

1. Fitness - 30%
  2. Form - 10%
  3. Player quality - 10%
  4. Mentality = 20%
  5. Luck - 5%
  6. Tactics - 25%
My ballpark values:
  1. Player Technical Quality & Experience - 30%
  2. Form & Match Sharpness - 20%
  3. Mentality & Game Management - 15%
  4. General Fitness & Physicality - 15%
  5. Tactics - 10%
  6. In-Game Luck - 10%

GoldTrafford99

Alex Ferguson is on record as saying tactics are the third most essential requirement for success in football.

1. Mentality is by far the most important aspect required for any sports man at any elite level
2. Discipline (which essentially means carrying out the job asked of you by the manager and expected of you by the team)
3. Tactics; ie outsmarting the opposition. But tactics don't work unless No. 1 and No. 2 are adhered to.

In answer to the O/P's question.

Managers with strong football philosophy can have quick success with football clubs, but not long-lasting success. We can obviously see this in Klopp's Liverpool who are now jaded by his intense philosophy. This is why Pep has said he will never last five years with a club and why Mouirnho moves on every 3 years from club to club... Their intensity can win in the short-term, but not in the short term. They will never dominate a division over the long-haul... their intensity doesn't allow for it.

All of these United fans calling for an Allegri etc and wanting Ole out... they are failing to see that we are building for the long-term, with domination the main goal (not just one league title for the sake of winning a title). We are in the midst of trying to replicate dominance for decades, just like we have done under Sir Matt and Sir Alex. We are building teams that evolve, not peak. No other club does what we do. Which makes me laugh at United fans who want to rip up what Ole is doing now and want an Allegri in instead... It doesn't make sense to be a Manchester United fan if that's the sort of quick-fix you are looking for in the club you support... If you want Ole out and Allegir in, then you have chosen the wrong club to support.

Intensive football philosophies are quick-fixes; they are for clubs like Chelsea and Real Madrid.

Man United are a different beast.

Last edited:

Oranges038

I've read this far and no one has mentioned Park on Pirlo.

I think I remember him doubling up on Henry with the two Neville's.

Sylar

10% Luck
20% Skill
15% Concentrated power of will
5% Pleasure
50% Pain
100% reason to remember the name
Was hoping to see this after the 4th post and you didnt disappoint
Kudos

Anytime fort minor is referenced is a big win

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Tactics don't matter. You don't need a goalkeeper. 0-0-11 works fine if your players have the right psychology.

Kag

Important enough for arseholes like Michael Cox and Jonathan Wilson to make a penny or two.

On a (slightly) more serious note, they’re probably very important. But confidence and mentality are probably moreso, albeit less tangible and more difficult to measure. Having a few good players on the pitch probably helps, too...

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Interesting interview in the Sunday Times today with Ralf Rangnick who, I suppose, would be considered one of the Gods of tactical innovation in the modern game. He speaks of his influences in terms of his own tactics, pressing etc. But it's a wide ranging conversation. He talks about his brief stint playing non league football in England and how struck he was with the constant encouragement by players for each other, he speaks of the importance of the ability of Kopp etc to captivate people. He seems to have a very well rounded view of people and what drives them. Certainly not laser focused on the intricacies of tactics as a be all and end all in the path to football glory.

Interesting too, obviously, that he appears to be putting himself squarely in the shop window for the Premier league.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
I'd say that from an outsider's perspective, it's very difficult to judge the importancy of tactics. Personally, I very often had the feeling that some coaches are overvaluing tactical theory, like, making high arts/science out of it. But then again, coaches who are said to be tactical masterminds use these modern methods to analyse and finetune their squads and playstyles. And I would be very surprised of the likes of Guardiola, Klopp, Tuchel, Flick and other successful top coaches would even dare to say that tactics are not important. Most of those coaches who had extraordinary success in the last 10 years or so are known for their tactical finesse. I trust their judgement much more than my own impressions in that regard. Also, there's sometimes a very slim line between tactics and manmagement, since tactics always work better if the strengths and abilities of your squad is used properly. Which is why some people hate coaches like Pep, who insists on his style of play, regardless of his squad, so people call him a chequebook manager or "the Pep Guardiola is my idol". In the end, he's very successful, once his squads fits his tactics. These coaches simply know better, which leads to my conclusion:
It's definitely not overvalued, if anything, highly undervalued from a fans' perspective.