How Important are our next homegrown class?

SteveW

Very curious to see how Mengi, Laird, Mejbri and Garner pan out.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The #3rd post by Rozay already answer this.

Btw, is Ole really all that...? It remains to be seen, still early days. We only know he will try and yet he also bring in talents from outside.

Only Greenwood and Brandon Will isn't it that are successfully integrated. Two. Just two.

Out of the duo, only Greenwood that seems likely to last long. BW need to prove he's "here to stay and fight" next season onwards, we had too many youth in the past that are only all that in their first season.
What do you mean just two? It's a very big thing in PL if a manager successfully integrates two academy players in an XI in just one year.

Some of the expectations here are amazing.

SAFMUTD

Very. I feel like Van Gaal and Mourinho set us back hugely in that regard.

But the club shouldn't just take the players from academy. If there are great young players in other clubs who the club could buy, then do it...

I don't know just how effective our scouting network is. Seems like Madrid and Barcelona always get the best young talents before the english clubs.
Barca had an insane crop of players but after that can you name youngsters that made it at barca? Ter Stegen, Lenglet, Jordi Alba, Arthur, De Jong, Griezmann and Suarez were all bought from other clubs. Only Messi, Pique, Busquets and Sergi Roberto are homegrown and the first three had their debuts more than 10 years ago while Sergi Roberto seems the weakest link of the team.

From its starting XI Madrid doesnt have any homegrown talent maybe you can count Marcelo since he was bought at a very young age from Brazil, but still he was debuted more than 10 years ago.

I think those teams produce talent and players but generally end up playing for other teams. I woulnt say they always get the best talents for sure, actually theyre pretty poor at the moment in that regard.

About the managers I think we can say that about Mourinho who only debuted 6 players in 2+ seasons.
Joel Pereira, Tuanzabe, McTomminay, Demetri Michell, Josh Harrop, Angel Gomes. Out of those only McTomminay was given proper chances and is now fully established.

On the other hand Van Gal debuted 15 academy players: Rashford, Lingard, Pereira, Varela, TFM, Paddy McNair, Saidy Janko, Tom Thorpe, Reece James, Tyler Blackett, Donald Love, Reegan Pole, CBJ, James Weir, Joe Riley.

He even gave chance to players who clearly werent going to make it.

I think we romantice Ole, to be fair he has give regular oportunities to Greenwood and Williams, none of them is a regular stater, if Ole didnt had the history he has with us I dont know if we would praise that kind of details.

Im not saying he doesnt give youth chances, but I think he does it as much as other managers who dont get praised for it.

SAFMUTD

What do you mean just two? It's a very big thing in PL if a manager successfully integrates two academy players in an XI in just one year.

Some of the expectations here are amazing.
To be fair theyre not integrated in the XI, more like in the 23 squad.

They look as good prospects, specially Greenwood and are playing a good amount of minuted this season, but lets not rewrite history and call them starters.

Luke1995

Barca had an insane crop of players but after that can you name youngsters that made it at barca? Ter Stegen, Lenglet, Jordi Alba, Arthur, De Jong, Griezmann and Suarez were all bought from other clubs. Only Messi, Pique, Busquets and Sergi Roberto are homegrown and the first three had their debuts more than 10 years ago while Sergi Roberto seems the weakest link of the team.

From its starting XI Madrid doesnt have any homegrown talent maybe you can count Marcelo since he was bought at a very young age from Brazil, but still he was debuted more than 10 years ago.

I think those teams produce talent and players but generally end up playing for other teams. I woulnt say they always get the best talents for sure, actually theyre pretty poor at the moment in that regard.

About the managers I think we can say that about Mourinho who only debuted 6 players in 2+ seasons.
Joel Pereira, Tuanzabe, McTomminay, Demetri Michell, Josh Harrop, Angel Gomes. Out of those only McTomminay was given proper chances and is now fully established.

On the other hand Van Gal debuted 15 academy players: Rashford, Lingard, Pereira, Varela, TFM, Paddy McNair, Saidy Janko, Tom Thorpe, Reece James, Tyler Blackett, Donald Love, Reegan Pole, CBJ, James Weir, Joe Riley.

He even gave chance to players who clearly werent going to make it.

I think we romantice Ole, to be fair he has give regular oportunities to Greenwood and Williams, none of them is a regular stater, if Ole didnt had the history he has with us I dont know if we would praise that kind of details.

Im not saying he doesnt give youth chances, but I think he does it as much as other managers who dont get praised for it.
What I was trying to mean is that right now, Barça and Madrid do have some promising young talent even if not homegrown (their academies have declined, yes)

Madrid got Rodrygo Vinicius Junior, Odegaard who is doing well at Sociedad still got a contract with them, Takefusa Kubo is in their youth ranks. That's possibly the key members of that team for this decade, although that remains to be seen. It's undeniable how much talent these four have got.

Barcelona got that kid Ansu Fati who is highly regarded by Messi, they still could make Dembele fullfil his potential, they have bought Frenkie de Jong, Arthur Melo is very good...

Maybe they're not producing the best academy talent but they're still getting the best young players because they dream of playing for them and it often has a larger appeal than playing in the PL or even, the possibility that their developments could be better at a place like Manchester United.

The managers, my issue with Van Gaal is bigger because he was just giving them their debuts without assessing if they actually had good potential. Not everyone is a good player just because they're young. Arguably only Rashford and TFM were actually talented from that group.

Mourinho, at least he demanded everything from these players and only debuted those he felt would add something, but still, the entire structure of his teams here were built on much older players with short term thinking like Zlatan.

Ole, what I like is he talks alot about how he wants to play attacking football, and that probably goes throught giving these good youngster a chance. The others, they just wanted to win. Ole seems to want to win playing beautifully.

SAFMUTD

What I was trying to mean is that right now, Barça and Madrid do have some promising young talent even if not homegrown (their academies have declined, yes)

Madrid got Rodrygo Vinicius Junior, Odegaard who is doing well at Sociedad still got a contract with them, Takefusa Kubo is in their youth ranks. That's possibly the key members of that team for this decade, although that remains to be seen. It's undeniable how much talent these four have got.

Barcelona got that kid Ansu Fati who is highly regarded by Messi, they still could make Dembele fullfil his potential, they have bought Frenkie de Jong, Arthur Melo is very good...

Maybe they're not producing the best academy talent but they're still getting the best young players because they dream of playing for them and it often has a larger appeal than playing in the PL or even, the possibility that their developments could be better at a place like Manchester United.

The managers, my issue with Van Gaal is bigger because he was just giving them their debuts without assessing if they actually had good potential. Not everyone is a good player just because they're young. Arguably only Rashford and TFM were actually talented from that group.

Mourinho, at least he demanded everything from these players and only debuted those he felt would add something, but still, the entire structure of his teams here were built on much older players with short term thinking like Zlatan.

Ole, what I like is he talks alot about how he wants to play attacking football, and that probably goes throught giving these good youngster a chance. The others, they just wanted to win. Ole seems to want to win playing beautifully.
I agree with you, thought you were speaking about homegrown talent, but with atracting young talent I agree Madrid and Barca are top on the chain.