How is that Hudson-Odoi handball not a penalty?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Because the Gürner moaned about as a while ago, and now we don’t seem to get any decisions our way.

Becks-7-

Supports
United & Eintracht Frankfurt
Regardless of the result, this should be addressed aggressively right after the game. Not something like „we have been unlucky with that“ again please. We saw that such statememts obviusly have an impact.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
All those hand ball penalties been awarded to any teams this season, you have to question why this one is not given. There is no consistency at all.

DoomSlayer

He said 50% of people will think it was and 50% won’t. I’d be surprised if may non United fans will be saying it was a penalty.
But he said nothing, neither did Tyler, so why hide your opinion like that? He neither explained what he thinks, nor do they analyse the situations according to the current rules. Even today there was a similar situation in a PL game and they gave the penalty.

Absolute bullshit how other managers started putting pressure on refs to feck us over.

Flying high

The ball travelled like 15yds to him. I guess it wasn't enough time to move your hand away.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Regardless of the result, this should be addressed aggressively right after the game. Not something like „we have been unlucky with that“ again please. We saw that such statememts obviusly have an impact.
Agreed. If other managers can moan about us, we should absolutely start doing the same when things clearly go against us.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I'm not sure I want that to be a penalty, but under the current rules that should be a penalty.

acnumber9

But he said nothing, neither did Tyler, so why hide your opinion like that? He neither explained what he thinks, nor do they analyse the situations according to the current rules. Even today there was a similar situation in a PL game and they gave the penalty.

Absolute bullshit how other managers started putting pressure on refs to feck us over.
He spent about five minutes talking about how he thought it was a penalty.

Zoo

Azpilicueta screaming in his ear has worked for Chelsea.

Schneiderman

It's a pen under any version of the rules. Literally slaps the ball away from Greenwood. Standard of referring is awful, and you can't even blame VAR today.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
"Oh he thinks Greenwood is going to run into him".

So?! That's no alibi to handballing it?
Did he run into him? No.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Whether people think it should be a pen is immaterial. Under the rules as they are it can't be anything but a pen.

arnie_ni

He said at the time it's a penalty. He then asked Tyler and Tyler dodged the question.

Neville already said it was a pen

I'm not sure I want that to be a penalty, but under the current rules that should be a penalty.
I completely agree.

that also seems to be the opinion of the pundits. It’s not that it isint a penalty - it’s that they think the rules are wrong to state that it IS a pen.

but given the rules, it’s 100% a pen. We can’t play by how we think the game should be run.

Dinghy

If it hits Greenwoods arm accidentally and he scores a belter, the goal will 100% be disallowed.

lsd

The Oracle
Does every incident in a United game now need it's own thread?

Will there be one later like " How was that not a throw in when it bounced off that guy's foot"

passing-wind

Greenwood doesn't help, if Mason goes with a shoulder barge, rather than his hand it's given. I think Greenwoods influence for me can be the only reason as to why it's not given. I feel it is a penalty only due to CHO hand being in an unnatural position.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Does every incident in a United game now need is own thread?

Will there be one later like " How was that not a throw in when it bounced off that guy's foot"
Yeah, actually you comparing a pen shout with a throw in sums up your posts.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
It is an offence if a player:

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball
  • scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper
  • after the ball has touched their or a team-mate’s hand/arm, even if accidental, immediately:
    • scores in the opponents’ goal
    • creates a goal-scoring opportunity
  • touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
    • the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
    • the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm

case closed.

DoomSlayer

He spent about five minutes talking about how he thought it was a penalty.
Fair enough, I guess I missed that part.
Because the Gürner moaned about as a while ago, and now we don’t seem to get any decisions our way.
It was him and Mourinho actually, they both slyly mentioned it for a period of time and at one point said straight away that we seem to be getting too many penalties.

AshRK

Ref has been incompetent. Cho and azpi shouting at the ref when he was checking and yet none of them got carded. Last 2 months or so we have been fecked by VAR and refs.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
In the days when the rule was "deliberate", it's not a penalty, but it definitely is now. It ticks all the new criteria of the arm being away from the body and outside of the "natural silhouette". If Stuart Atwell really hasn't given it because he doesn't think Hudson Odoi has moved his hand towards the ball, then surely he is applying the old rules. The plethora of rather harsh handball decisions this season have suggested it has nothing to do with moving the hand or arm towards the ball anymore, and more about where the hand or arm is in the first place.

Also, anyone speaking to the referee whilst he's doing a VAR check should get an instant booking. They have to be able to review the incidents without interference. Both Hudson Odoi and Azpiliqueta were screeching at him the whole time.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I don't mind it not being a handball because it would be soft as anything. I'd hate to see a penalty awarded against us for something like that.

The problem, as is so often the case, is that there's no consistency. That will be given one week, then not given another week, simply depending on who the ref is and which side of the bed they woke up on.

DoomSlayer

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball
  • scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper
  • after the ball has touched their or a team-mate’s hand/arm, even if accidental, immediately:
    • the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm

case closed.
So the referee made a decision, knowing perfectly well that it is against the rules. And he had the benefit of seeing it again on a monitor, from a few different angles.

Fair play to Hasselbaink for speaking the truth. Chelsea are lucky that this wasn't given.

PieCrust

Penalty all day. Played the ball with the in an unnatural position inside the box. Stonewall penalty.

I don't know why VAR exists if the officials refuse or are not forced to make the right call after having a look. VAR itself is great. The mismanagement of its use by the league is beyond ludicrous.

OneUnited24

Var ref told the ref he thought it was a pen and to go look at it. This one is all on Atwell.
I wonder what gets said. It seems that var told him to check and make his own decision. Shouldn’t they usually give a verdict ie “to the letter of the law it’s xxx...”. More frustrating when a similar one happened yesterday in the Brighton game

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It’s a penalty if it benefits us. It’s a penalty if our defender hits the ball like this with his hand. It’s a penalty every time.

I half expect to read a upcoming post saying it shouldn’t be a handball because it’s so far away from the goal inside the box.

arnie_ni

case closed.

RUCK4444

If it hits Greenwoods arm accidentally and he scores a belter, the goal will 100% be disallowed.
This. But it’s handball and always has been a handball, movement of the hand towards the ball, unnatural position, player has sight of the ball at all times.

His hand should be nowhere near where it is. No idea why the ref is being so belligerent.

Penalty all day. Played the ball with the in an unnatural position inside the box. Stonewall penalty.

I don't know why VAR exists is the officials refuse to make the right call after having a look. VAR itself is great. The mismanagement of its use by the league is beyond ludicrous.
I actually think VAR has worked very well in this example, and it should be the onfield ref who views the incident.

no one on the pitch saw it. VAR thought it was a pen.

you can’t legislate for the ref shitting the bed.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Arm was not in natural position. Simple, it’s handball. Is that not the rule anymore?