How many of our squad would really worry you if we lost?

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Out of our whole squad who would really really upset you if we sold them tomorrow? De Gea? Then I'm really struggling.

Probably the first time I've felt like that about a United squad.

Carrick was the last one for me, where I was worried what we'd do without him. All our current lot wouldn't worry me in the slightest. We could get that level of performance from any number of players.

Says it all I'd say.

AshRK

Maybe rashford but that to because he is the only to an extent who I have faith in. One thing is clear, had I started watching football today I wouldn't have been a fan of any of these current united players. Yes de gea and pogba are two great players but even then I don't feel too affectionate towards them, maybe de gea somewhat but rest nah.

caid

None
Pogba is a good player but im inclined to say hes more entertaining than effective. If budget was a concern in the slightest i'd get rid of him. We'll get a bigger transfer fee for him than he warrants. I kind of feel if he was at barcelona or madrid thats what they'd be doing. Like selling Eto'o and Ronaldinho or selling Di Maria when everyone is raving about how good a season hes having.
He's our best player and i dont really care if we lose him so ... I'm hardly going to care if we let darmian go.

starman

Mctominay, Lindelof, Shaw & Rashford.

Those, imo, have another level in them and would put the work into getting there. The rest have either peaked out or are content.

quackattack

Mctominay, Lindelof, Shaw & Rashford.

Those, imo, have another level in them and would put the work into getting there. The rest have either peaked out or are content.
I'd say keep DDG as well. He had a night off, but generally performs well enough:)

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Pogba
Martial
Rashford
Dalot
Shaw
Lindelof
Smalling
Scott

A bigger list than most I think. Pogba is the only automatic starter.

Negan

I’d hate it we lost De Gea, Pogba and Rashford but that’s it.

kerryman

How many of our squad would really worry you if we do not lost?
Realistically how many of our squad would be wanted/needed by any of the other teams in the top 6, let alone any of the top teams in Europe? DDG and Pogba perhaps? None of the defenders would be in demand, our attackers are way too inconsistent/not good enough for a top team, our midfield apart from Pogba wouldn't improve any of the top teams in England or Europe.
It's a very sad state of affairs. We need to be more ruthless and cut under-performing players rather then offering new contracts.

arthurka

McT
Rash
Young what would we do with our mighty captain:houllier:.
No just the two.. then the kids .

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I'd be all for selling De Gea and Pogba and using that along with some investment from above to rebuild the majority of the squad. Only problem is I don't really think there is anyone who would be in for De Gea now that Real Madrid signed Courtois. Perhaps Bayern? But they won't spend that kind of money that we would want for him. Should have cashed in on him before. And Pogba can go anytime. He's amazing when teams aren't pressing and they are allowing him to dictate the play. Press him a little and he's out of the game...

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Pogba and DDG. The rest are pretty much squad level players at best

Cloud7

Pogba, Shaw, Rashy. Under most circumstances I would have added Martial and DDG to the list, but those two are really making me wonder, big Dave especially. Something just doesn’t seem right with him. It’s been an ongoing problem for most of the season, too much to blame on just poor form. At the same time I don’t think he’s become crap either, but I think his mind is somewhere else this season.

ti vu

DDG: good GK is hard to come by. He is more error prone now, but I think when the team is more settled, he would regain his composure.
Rashford: While there is high probability he turns out Nani than Ronaldo (football brain), he is working hard, being adaptive to change to tactic and does has that raw potential. He's still young and all.

McTominay: perhaps forever squad filler, but does have that United player's pride to keep around.

Dalot: First season and has potential

Fred: First season and show sign of adaption

Herrera: being at the club at the wrong time. Can't say he's red through and through if that PSG rumor turn out to be true, but at least he gave everything in the shirt during his time here.

Theonas

Scout
I'd say keep DDG as well. He had a night off, but generally performs well enough:)
There is a reason why De Gea is not considered the world beater our fans consider him to be anywhere outside these shores. His distribution and general ability to come out of his box to collect a ball or be the last line of defense is probably the worst out of all the elite clubs. He is as good as anyone shot stopping wise but you need less of that if you can hold on to the ball and nowadays, you need your goalkeeper to help out with that.

Maverick red

Mctominay.
Fred.(starting too see something in him)
Lindelhof
De gea.
I am honestly struggling to name anymore.

Charles Miller

Realistically how many of our squad would be wanted/needed by any of the other teams in the top 6, let alone any of the top teams in Europe? DDG and Pogba perhaps? None of the defenders would be in demand, our attackers are way too inconsistent/not good enough for a top team, our midfield apart from Pogba wouldn't improve any of the top teams in England or Europe.
It's a very sad state of affairs. We need to be more ruthless and cut under-performing players rather then offering new contracts.
Man United have two elite players: Pogba and De Gea(despite recent form) and one very good player: Shawn. Those three players and maybe Lindelof are good enough. But due to their positions are roles they will not win any title race without a lot of help.

I think the most important aspect is: Man United needs an elite front three. Midfield and defense/full backs are a problem but a top front 3 can compensate for the lack of quality in other sectors giving the board some windows to form a new squad.

Need to put all the money in two wingers and one top 9.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
This is an opinion from a Barca fan’s point of view, so take it with a pinch of salt.

The problem with the current Manchester United is that you guys are satisfied with 8/10 players.

Luke Shaw is a solid left back. He is sound defensively and not bad going forward. But when you compare him to Jordi Alba or Marcelo (before this season), he just doesn’t compare at all. He’s not even close. Guys like Marcelo and Alba can win you games on their own.

Chris Smalling seems at least respected on here. He’s a solid defender, but very limited on the ball. Unlike say Chiellini, he’s also not that good of a defender that it negates his limitations as a football.

The reason to why I mention Smalling and Shaw is because they are generally rated on here, unlike guys like Jones and Young.

It’s fine to have some 8/10 players, but if all your outfield players apart from Pogba are decent-but-not-great, then you will get decent-but-not-great results.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
De Gea, McTominay, Shaw. A mix and match of some other players leaving would be worrying but anyone of the rest on their own we could replace. Pogba wouldn't be directly replaced but him leaving would at least mean that it would be no good keeping him around unhappy. He feels like he can have a Hazardous atmosphere around him if unhappy.

Jib

Pogba and Rashford.
Pogba because he's our only footballer. And Rashford because one day he can become a footballer if he works hard.
The others aren't good. They should be grateful to have some good agents to play for Manchester United because their level is Burnley or the championship. Even De Gea.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
This is an opinion from a Barca fan’s point of view, so take it with a pinch of salt.

The problem with the current Manchester United is that you guys are satisfied with 8/10 players.

Luke Shaw is a solid left back. He is sound defensively and not bad going forward. But when you compare him to Jordi Alba or Marcelo (before this season), he just doesn’t compare at all. He’s not even close. Guys like Marcelo and Alba can win you games on their own.

Chris Smalling seems at least respected on here. He’s a solid defender, but very limited on the ball. Unlike say Chiellini, he’s also not that good of a defender that it negates his limitations as a football.

The reason to why I mention Smalling and Shaw is because they are generally rated on here, unlike guys like Jones and Young.

It’s fine to have some 8/10 players, but if all your outfield players apart from Pogba are decent-but-not-great, then you will get decent-but-not-great results.
I don't think anyone on here thinks we have a squad of 8/10 players. You mention Shaw as an 8/10 player...that's like our 3rd or 4th best player. He's only having his first proper season here because of injuries and he's been our most consistent player this season and he's only 23. Alba and Marcelo weren't these players you talk about when they were 23.

Smalling fits better. He's decent and he's our best defender but he's still highly controversial and a lot of people would have him gone. All the United pundit fans around me except one would want him gone, all of them are former pros and are currently coaching at various levels. Mostly it's because of how poor he is with the ball at his feet and that's a fair call. It's the same call that Southgate made. I don't think many would disagree with him being relegated as 3rd or 4th choice if it meant that were buying 2 first choise CB's however that's easier said than done and something you would know from experience as a Barca fan because you've churned through quite a few of them since Puyol retired.

remo

Pogba and Rashford.
Pogba because he's our only footballer. And Rashford because one day he can become a footballer if he works hard.
The others aren't good. They should be grateful to have some good agents to play for Manchester United because their level is Burnley or the championship. Even De Gea.
Agree. I just add De Gea and maybe Shaw.

eltigreFalcao

I used to think highly about a lot of player from our squad, unlike many people here. But that has been changing the past few months. DDG, Pogba, Shaw, Dalot, Martial and Rashford are my only bets, trying to keep some faith in these dark times.

A part of me, though, would ship em all. If Pogba and DDG want to leave, they should go, I've learnt that over time. We definitely need some rebuild in all departments, but keeping a core of talent such as in Shaw, Martial, Rashford and Dalot, we could build something.

Well, in the end we all are agreeing on a complete makeover. Thats just sad.

Last edited by a moderator:

quackattack

There is a reason why De Gea is not considered the world beater our fans consider him to be anywhere outside these shores.
Perhaps not, but considering he is already in our team and he is reliable enough as a shot stopper why not?
Also, our team currently has no world class players, that's a fact.

The Purley King

Shaw, Fred (he has looked excellent the last couple of games), mctominay, Lindelof, rashford, Dalot (there is a great player in there).
That’s it. Would keep the youngsters as well as they look ok but really too early to know one way or another.
Martial won’t make it as a top player. Pogba is too selfish though admittedly fantastic on his day which is about once every 5 games.
Big big clear out needed this summer. Hope ole and Ed have the balls for it.

MoskvaRed

I’d frame the question as who should still be in the starting XI for the start of the 21-22 season (i.e. in two full seasons’ time).

Shaw probably.

There’s a couple of others whom it’s too early to judge (McTominay, Daliot).

The rest I’d happily see replaced, whether it’s due to lack of talent, commitment or both.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
As shocking a realisation as this is actually there isn’t anyone currently at the club that I would be outraged at us selling.

Nobody here currently stands out as unsellable or has endeared themselves enough.

I mean there are players worth keeping at the club obviously but there is no one that makes me think “how on earth do we replace them?”

De Gea being sold would mean we would have to invest in a ball playing GK and stop relying on him to be our best defender.

Pogba being sold would give us a lot of cash to rebuild and add two creative CMs rather than relying on him all the time (and possibly give us more balance)

I can’t see Rashford being sold but if he went then the club would be forced to buy a top class CF to replace him as for Martial he doesn’t do enough with his talent and after all this time I think this is just the player he is. Doesn’t make enough runs in behind so replaceable with ease.

People like Shaw, we could just buy Tierney, Fred any decent DM etc...

It’s really quite worrying that out best players bar De Gea and on his day Pogba are nowhere near the best in Europe.

Look back ten years or so we had Ronaldo, Rooney, Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra etc all definitely close to the best players of those years (if not the best at least in the PL) and now look at us...

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
As shocking a realisation as this is actually there isn’t anyone currently at the club that I would be outraged at us selling.

Nobody here currently stands out as unsellable or has endeared themselves enough.

I mean there are players worth keeping at the club obviously but there is no one that makes me think “how on earth do we replace them?”

De Gea being sold would mean we would have to invest in a ball playing GK and stop relying on him to be our best defender.

Pogba being sold would give us a lot of cash to rebuild and add two creative CMs rather than relying on him all the time (and possibly give us more balance)

I can’t see Rashford being sold but if he went then the club would be forced to buy a top class CF to replace him as for Martial he doesn’t do enough with his talent and after all this time I think this is just the player he is. Doesn’t make enough runs in behind so replaceable with ease.

People like Shaw, we could just buy Tierney, Fred any decent DM etc...

It’s really quite worrying that out best players bar De Gea and on his day Pogba are nowhere near the best in Europe.

Look back ten years or so we had Ronaldo, Rooney, Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra etc all definitely close to the best players of those years (if not the best at least in the PL) and now look at us...
You've articulated my thoughts on the OP better than I could.