How many of these players should be in a United squad?

Von Mistelroum

I actually thought about this a couple of days ago but from a different perspective: how many players from the current United squad would I want at Bayern. The answer wasn’t pretty.
That's actually a good way to look at it though. A club like Bayern wouldn't entertain most of these cowardly and lazy players. Not too long ago, neither would United.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
:lol: Why would you do that?

What did you conclude? I’m gonna guess Shaw and Martinez?
You are correct. :lol: It was just a thought experiment and shockingly I don’t think that any player from United‘s current squad would start for Bayern.

As (squad) options: Shaw, Martinez, Mount, Sancho (I believe he needs a new environment and I have seen hIm play fantastically before. There is a player in him somewhere.) Rashford would be too expensive for a limited role and I am not a fan of Bruno and his carelessness.

Casemiro and Varane I unfortunately don’t count anymore. I think they kinda have checked out of playing competitive football and seem injury prone.

Todd

Onana, Shaw, Martinez, Varane, Wan-Bissaka, Casemiro, Bruno, Eriksen, Rashford, Hójlund, and Garnacho are all United quality.

KeanoMagicHat

You do when a relatively good season under the manager is immediately followed by a bad one and perhaps due to elevated optimism the manager has no fault in form and the players are totally responsible.

Sarcasm but I've stated this before, no one was saying this in summer when the prediction thread was brimming with top 3 finish projections. These players as a collective aren't world class but they are good enough for the manager to get a better tune out of them and the seasons struggles haven't come through a lack of effort but insufficient tactical application many times this season.

Objectively the team doesn't need a major rehaul but a select few high quality purchases in at least three positions and if the manager gets his ideas right the team would be closer to the top of the pack. What's been witnessed is a capitulation due to several factors but this team is certainly better than what's being displayed.
Agreed, United were arguably only 3-4 players away from being a top team from the point they were last season but the summer signings haven't improved things at all - Onana has been a flop overall so far and no better than De Gea (I think he can be better with time), Mount has barely played and been non-existent when he has played and Hojlund has been decent but raw (hasn't scored in the league in 8 games), Amrabat has been disappointing so far.

If for example Onana had hit the ground running without mistakes, they had signed Harry Kane (unlikely I know) and signed someone like Szoboszlai instead of Mount for the same price to add creativity and running to midfield, then the team would probably be in different shape.

jesperjaap

If we are talking of who cold get into one os SAFs proper squad then there are lots. Lets not forget he had a lot of average players in sqads that were good servants to the club.

If we are talking on who cold get into one of his proper sides it is a different stoy altogether.

Casemeiro and Varane last season maybe but both look to be in decline, Casmeiro hugely this season. Shaw another contender but considering he would be competing mainly with Irwin and Evra....it isnt happening.

There isnt one for me. I wold say Martinez but one season isnt long enough to judge. The likes of Fernandes and Rashford are not anywhere near.

We have pretty mch a squad...of squad players, the standard of first eleven players is a million miles way from his three great sides and not even close to his weaker sides

jesperjaap

Agreed, United were arguably only 3-4 players away from being a top team from the point they were last season but the summer signings haven't improved things at all - Onana has been a flop overall so far and no better than De Gea (I think he can be better with time), Mount has barely played and been non-existent when he has played and Hojlund has been decent but raw (hasn't scored in the league in 8 games), Amrabat has been disappointing so far.

If for example Onana had hit the ground running without mistakes, they had signed Harry Kane (unlikely I know) and signed someone like Szoboszlai instead of Mount for the same price to add creativity and running to midfield, then the team would probably be in different shape.
Saw qite a few people saying this last summer, including Alan Shearer. Also that Ten Hag had improved so many players. Never agreed then and I dont now.

I always thoght thogh we did quite well last season, the football wasnt hgely better, it was the same side as before with a couple of quality additions in Martinez and Casemeiro and jst spells of good form from the likes of Fernandes and RAshford who both hadnt shown mch for ages.

Onana for me is an average keeper with great feet, he will never get anywhere near to prime DeGea or better, basically declinging DeGea with better feet.

But in the summer we needed a GK, an attacking RB option, two centre backs, a box to box midfielder, anotehr DM option, two strikers....cold still add a couple more to that.

And no surprise after or summer signings.....we still need similar as Varane, Casemeiro, Eriksen were always going to age.

Harsh to judge as we arent seeig or best eleven, but personally think people with the opinion with everyoe fit this side is only3 or so players from challenging for major trophies is naive

ForFuchsSake

Shocked at how many people are putting Antony in. Utterly one-dimensional, predictable, weak and woeful.

For me:

Martinez - undoubtably excellent defender who has been unfortunate with injuries. One player that I actually feel confident he can have a somewhat transformative effect on the team. Most United fans appear to rate him highly but if he played elsewhere he would thrive more.

Shaw - again, injuries are an issue. Very good left back though and excellent when on top form.

Casemiro - obvious decline but I’m reluctant to simply write him off as completely past it. Surely still squadworthy. Ditto Varane (but to a lesser extent).

Bruno - frustrating player that has his deficiencies but his output is enough to merit a place in a United squad for sure.

Garnacho - exciting player that can make an impact from the bench, although needs to show more when starting. I don’t have supreme hopes for him and he could go the way of many other young players but there’s a place for him.

Rashford - one season good, one season shit is par for the course for him. He needs to realise he’s not untouchable though as he’s nothing short of dire this season. Still a place for him mind.

Hojlund - good young striker. If he went to one of our rivals, wouldn’t surprise me if we’d be lamenting them signing him. It’s such a toxic environment here I’d avoid like the plague if I was a prodigious young talent. Killing it in the CL though needs to do more in PL.

Juries out on Onana, Mount, Wan-Bissaka.

Rest range from mediocrity to absolute trash.

Bestietom

When I look back at the teams and players we had in Fergies time, I doubt if any would get on the teamsheet or even in the squads. There was no worrying about scoring goals back then.
Van Nistleroy, Rooney, Ronaldo, Van Persie, Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, and many others could all get plenty of goals each season.

berbasloth4

It’s bit mad when you think of the players we have signed since fergie then sold and see where they went. Not to many go on the other big or top teams or even get teams. The recruitment has been a joke.