How many players do we need to sign this summer?

Red00012

I think Pogba and Haaland end up at Real Madrid.

Will Madrid then sell Benzema or Luka Jovic? Benzema would be nice on a 2 year deal.

Ins - Benzema - 15m
Nathan Collins - 15m
Camavinga - 60m
Emiliano Martinez - 27m

Outs - Martial - 25m
De Gea - Free
Pogba - 22m
Bailly - 10m
Jesse - 18m
Jones - 3m
I don’t know where to start so I’m going with 2 emojis :houllier::lol:

quirkey

Yeah, because it's not FM / FIFA, but real life.

I take it you wanna swap De Gea with Donnarumma? There's no way Milan would ever accept that, would be the worst deal they've probably ever made: Lose their 22-year-old homegrown Italian goalkeeper that's still one of the hottest prospects around and get a 30-year-old keeper in return that's been in a huge slump for 3 years.

Also, have you ever seen Kounde play? The guy's 1,78m tall, would be interesting to see him in the Prem. And why in the world would we want to sign Calhanoglu? We have much better players in his positions + it seems he's been garbage at Milan but still wants a huge payday from a new contract, that's why he hasn't renewed yet (what I've heard from Milan fans).

People need to realise that it's not just a manager game you can play on your PC, you can't just list 5-6 players that are generally sought after these days, name a price for them and then be disappointed at the end of the transfer window because the club does something completely different.

Big money transfers are getting more and more difficult to pull off these days and all 6 players you've listed could easily struggle at United in the beginning...I don't want a "Werner, Havertz, Ziyech" situation at our club :lol:
Wow, so enlightening. Thanks.
You do realise Donnarumma’s contract is up in 3 months yeah?
Also, as the last line in my comment suggests, I was taking an FM take on the whole thing.

In ‘real life’, more our imagined reality but anyway, I would be very happy with Neto and signing Cavani up for another year and trying for Haaland when the clause kicks in.
Also, I have watched Kounde, a lot and I’ve looked at his stats. Take a look yourself and look at his aerial duels won. Height isn’t the most important thing for a centre half, ask Cannavaro or Baresi. Positioning and spring are far more important. Plus pace and reading the game.

To sum up, I genuinely think we could get Donnarumma on a free, especially if we keep Raiola sweet by facilitating Pogba moving on. De Gea’s wages are too high for any club to move for him but waiving a transfer fee would help as he won’t be second choice.

Kounde is realistic as Seville need funds and have reduced his release clause. And Neto would cost in/around £50m.

That’s an outlay of £100m in fees, that’s realistic especially if we get circa £60min for Pogba.

quirkey

I could spend twice as much fantasy money as you won't that won't happen in reality either.
Apologies, I didn’t realise John Murtough and his gang of merry money men were basing their transfer activity on the Caf forum posts. At least they can save money now by sacking the entire scouting department.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Apologies, I didn’t realise John Murtough and his gang of merry money men were basing their transfer activity on the Caf forum posts. At least they can save money now by sacking the entire scouting department.
:lol:

Mark Pawelek

Yeah, because it's not FM / FIFA, but real life.
Exactly what I said above.

I take it you wanna swap De Gea with Donnarumma? There's no way Milan would ever accept that, would be the worst deal they've probably ever made: Lose their 22-year-old homegrown Italian goalkeeper that's still one of the hottest prospects around and get a 30-year-old keeper in return that's been in a huge slump for 3 years.
They'd have no choice because Donnarumma's contract expires this summer. So De Gea exit and Donnarumma at OT is perfectly realistic. Not FM in any way unless Donnarumma signs a new contract with them within the next 3 months.

Also, have you ever seen Kounde play? The guy's 1,78m tall, would be interesting to see him in the Prem.
Good point; but he's faster than both Linderof and Maguire.

And why in the world would we want to sign Calhanoglu?
Because he's actually available for free as his contract expires this summer?

We have much better players in his positions + it seems he's been garbage at Milan but still wants a huge payday from a new contract, that's why he hasn't renewed yet (what I've heard from Milan fans).
If Mata leaves, who do we have - apart from Bruno - who can play AMC better than Calhanoglu?

People need to realise that it's not just a manager game you can play on your PC, you can't just list 5-6 players that are generally sought after these days, name a price for them and then be disappointed at the end of the transfer window because the club does something completely different.
That's why people look at TransferMarkt contracts expiring page to see which contracts end this summer and next (2022).

Big money transfers are getting more and more difficult to pull off these days and all 6 players you've listed could easily struggle at United in the beginning...I don't want a "Werner, Havertz, Ziyech" situation at our club :lol:
But we need to replace more players than we have funds for. So:
  • Bosmans,
  • Loans with option to buy,
  • Half-price, or 2/3-price offers for players with contracts expiring in 2022.
Because it ain't FM. It's real.

Rojofiam

Wow, so enlightening. Thanks.
You do realise Donnarumma’s contract is up in 3 months yeah?
Also, as the last line in my comment suggests, I was taking an FM take on the whole thing.

In ‘real life’, more our imagined reality but anyway, I would be very happy with Neto and signing Cavani up for another year and trying for Haaland when the clause kicks in.
Also, I have watched Kounde, a lot and I’ve looked at his stats. Take a look yourself and look at his aerial duels won. Height isn’t the most important thing for a centre half, ask Cannavaro or Baresi. Positioning and spring are far more important. Plus pace and reading the game.

To sum up, I genuinely think we could get Donnarumma on a free, especially if we keep Raiola sweet by facilitating Pogba moving on. De Gea’s wages are too high for any club to move for him but waiving a transfer fee would help as he won’t be second choice.

Kounde is realistic as Seville need funds and have reduced his release clause. And Neto would cost in/around £50m.

That’s an outlay of £100m in fees, that’s realistic especially if we get circa £60min for Pogba.
I feel like the Premier League (especially these days) is a different animal. You can't really bring up Cannavaro or Baresi as examples because they were active a really long time ago and never played in England, not to mention football's changed a lot since then. I'm not saying a relatively shorter centre back is doomed in England but if you take a look at the best ones playing in the PL currently, or the ones that are generally considered to be the best Premier League CBs of all time, they're really tall. Almost all of them. Although, I'm not sure a CB will be a huge priority this summer to be honest, especially if we continue to be defensively solid like we've been in the last couple of games until the end of the season. If we do sign Koundé, I hope you're right about him, even though I doubt he'd be our main target.

As for Donnarumma, there's no doubting his ability imo, but I never see us signing him. It would be difficult to land him, Raiola is his agent and I might be basing this on stereotypes, but I can't see him becoming a long-term no.1 for us, even if he joined. He's Italian, could go to any club he wanted if he excels at United + he's got Raiola like I've mentioned. There are players I can just never see playing at United and Donnarumma is definitely one of them (along with most Italians & Germans :lol:), no matter how good he is. My dream signing would be Oblak, but there's not a chance we can offload both De Gea and Henderson and then go on to sign Oblak. :lol:

Rojofiam

Because he's actually available for free as his contract expires this summer? If Mata leaves, who do we have - apart from Bruno - who can play AMC better than Calhanoglu?
Calhanoglu is nowhere near the calibre of player we should be targeting if we want to improve on this season and become a truly top side. If Fernandes is injured we'd likely change formation + he's average and there are red flags about him: underperforming but still asking for a huge contract renewal + feel free to read this (I don't know how true this is, but doesn't look good) https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2014/0...faking-health-issues-to-push-leverkusen-move/

This is similar to the shit Rojo pulled at Sporting when we were interested in him and says a lot about a player's attitude. Fast forward a couple years later and see how much success we've had with Rojo. He spent 7 YEARS at the club and he was only useful for 6 months in Mourinho's first season until his injury. When he was on loan at Estudiantes he didn't even want to return to the city of Manchester let alone play for us again. I don't want players with stinking attitudes at the club and the recruitment under Ole so far has basically confirmed that he and the club doesn't either.

But we need to replace more players than we have funds for.
And the manager and/or club is probably very aware of that, but also aware of the fact that panic signings are not the way to go...so we will continue to rebuild throughout several transfer windows and won't sign a player unless we've identified him as a target. And Calhanoglu is 100% not being looked at.

Mark Pawelek

Calhanoglu is nowhere near the calibre of player we should be targeting if we want to improve on this season and become a truly top side. If Fernandes is injured we'd likely change formation + he's average and there are red flags about him: underperforming but still asking for a huge contract renewal + feel free to read this (I don't know how true this is, but doesn't look good) https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2014/0...faking-health-issues-to-push-leverkusen-move/

This is similar to the shit Rojo pulled at Sporting when we were interested in him and says a lot about a player's attitude. Fast forward a couple years later and see how much success we've had with Rojo. He spent 7 YEARS at the club and he was only useful for 6 months in Mourinho's first season until his injury. When he was on loan at Estudiantes he didn't even want to return to the city of Manchester let alone play for us again. I don't want players with stinking attitudes at the club and the recruitment under Ole so far has basically confirmed that he and the club doesn't either.
Pogba pulled it on us when he refused an extension aged 19, and left for Juventus. We spend £90m and we're going to take a hit selling him, or letting him go for free. It swings both ways: players you love behaving like those you hate; but we close one eye to it.

PS: Good point about Rojo. 7 years here and still doesn't speak good English.

Mr PG

The best signing we could ever make is Grealish. He is Bruno's equivalent and would rotate on the left with Rashford who really struggles with the low block. Grealish as our only signing for 60m or less would make us instant contenders for the creativity he would add to the team.

Haaland for all his talent is a risk in the physical premier league and we create so little without Pogba or Bruno. Haaland would be similar to Pp signing. Talented yes but it's taken 4 years for us to reap the rewards and even then when you take a look at the financial expenditures you see why City avoided signing him.

Rojofiam

Pogba pulled it on us when he refused an extension aged 19, and left for Juventus. We spend £90m and we're going to take a hit selling him, or letting him go for free. It swings both ways: players you love behaving like those you hate; but we close one eye to it.
I think leaving your club to seek more game time when you have every right to do it is different than either refusing to train because a big club is interested you or faking a health issue so that your transfer can go through. Also, the United Pogba left in 2012 was sadly very, very different to the United that brought him back in 2016. But then again, the current United also seems to be (thankfully) thinking differently than in 2016. But I don't want to go into the Pogba situation to be honest. I could understand if he wanted to leave because he's one of the best in the world playing for a club that has the highest ambitions but has failed to actually reach those ambitions for 8 years straight....but at the same time, he probably played a huge part in the sacking of Mourinho and undermined him. So yeah, you definitely have a point with Pogba, even though the 2012 story is not the right example.

PS: Good point about Rojo. 7 years here and still doesn't speak good English.
Same with Valencia, except that he spent 13 years in England. But his attitude and passion could never be questioned imo.

Rojofiam

The best signing we could ever make is Grealish. He is Bruno's equivalent and would rotate on the left with Rashford who really struggles with the low block. Grealish as our only signing for 60m or less would make us instant contenders for the creativity he would add to the team.

Haaland for all his talent is a risk in the physical premier league and we create so little without Pogba or Bruno. Haaland would be similar to Pp signing. Talented yes but it's taken 4 years for us to reap the rewards and even then when you take a look at the financial expenditures you see why City avoided signing him.
Haaland is a monster physically and everything points towards him having a great attitude too. Agree about Grealish, though. He just has something special and I just know he'd tear it up here.

justsomebloke

Haaland should be the top priority, that's not even about positional needs (although it certainly meets them).

Generally, I would say we need five players:

1. A starting XI right winger who can also fill in credibly for Bruno
2. An upgrade on Martial at the striker position
3. A credible alternative to AWB on right back, a la Telles on the left. If that's not Williams or Laird.
4. An upgrade on Lindelof at CB
5. An upgrade on Matic as holding midfielder

Potentially, if Lingard and Mata leaves, we also need depth up front. Though that may be Amad and Pellistri.

There's no way we'll get five in a single window though. But three would be nice, and would matter greatly. Barring Haaland, I think right wing and right back are the biggest needs, as that plugs holes rather than just upgrade in an area where we need to be better.

Champagne Football

I don’t know where to start so I’m going with 2 emojis :houllier::lol:
The truth is that if you'd said we were signing Van De Beek, Diallo and Cavani before last summer then some childish muppets would have come on here and sent a load of laughing emoji's at your post. The general consensus was that we were definitely signing Sancho, Jude Bellingham and possibly even Erling Haaland and Koulibaly too!!! Yes many on here actually believed we could sign all those players in one go.

So I was just taking a wild guess as I know for certain we are not signing Erling Haaland or Jadon Sancho come the summer.

Levy will price us out of a move for Kane so he's not coming.

The truth is Ole will spring plenty of surprises like he did last summer and will land players nobody expected. Perhaps Pedro Neto and a couple of unheard of kids and another unexpected loan deal of an ageing star.