How many players sold for £70m+ have justified the fee?

Lost bear

Maybe Utd fans consider Lukaku, Pogba and Maguire to have justified their fees but I'm sure the majority of the wider public wouldn't.
I don’t think many Utd fans would argue that, tbh. Certainly not on the caf, anyway.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Basing this on Transfermarkt's list of 55 players costing 70 million or more (which I know is in Euros), I think you're struggling to justify more than about a dozen.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
But Rice would, City bidding £90M for him in the summer is an indication of it and he's improving as a player.
And City not bidding any higher would be more of an indication that he wasn't worth that outlay to them.

JogaBonitoRooney

Definitely
Neymar (both times), Mbop, Grealish, Bellingham, Van Dick, Bale, Kane, Ronaldo (GOAT), Zidane, De Jong, Allisson Becker, Rodri, Luis Suarez, Kevin De Brown

Arguably
De Ligt, Higuain, Maguire, O. Dembele, Declan Rice, Tchouameni, James Rodri Giggs

Jury remains at lunch
Gvardiol, Hojlund, Enzo
These CR7 fanboys be hurting for life. The inferiority complex really gets to them that they need to put GOAT whenever Ronaldo is mentioned even though it's not relevant to the discussion. :lol:

MiceOnMeth

Ronaldo to Real was a bargain for them in hindsight.

It's mad really that only 5 or so of the 55 players have actually been worth it yet clubs still do it every year. I hope Jim steers us away from overpaying on every player we go in for.

Mainoonited

A high transfer fee does not always reflect the ability of a player, it's also a big reflection on the will of the buying/selling club

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Considering PSG spent all that money to win the CL I'd not consider any of their signings a success. Especially there's some Hollywood accounting going on if you try and sell me that they made money off Neymar.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Too early for Rice and Kane, not even a season down yet.

Sure, Kane is demolishing the Bundesliga, Bayern haven't won anything yet though.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
People putting the likes of Neymar, Pogba, Maguire, Rice, etc., are you fecking serious?

What has exactly PSG won from 220m million Neymar that they haven't already won? Also he was injured a lot and had no resale value.

Rice has just signed for Arsenal ffs, just becauseue was good for few seasons before that it doesn't mean yet that it's a great transfer, they bought him because they offered the most, there is absolutely nothing brilliant about that. But then some people think success is fighting for title for two months so maybe they think that's enough improvement for 100m player? For all we know he can become the best trasnfer of all times, but if Arsenal finish second with less points than last year, what exactly did they get?

Pogba and Maguire aren't even worth arguing, anyone saying that deserves ignore in football forum.

Comparing thise transfers with the likes of Ronaldo, Van Dijk, Zidane, de Bruyne, etc. is laughable stuff.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Astonishing that there are people putting maguire in the justified category.

arnie_ni

Depends on how harsh you're being.

Ronaldo - Big Yes
Bale - Yes
Mbappe - Yes
Neymar - Debatable, but I'd tend towards yes
Griezmann - No
Lukaku to United - Yes (2 decent seasons, and recouped the fee)
Lukaku to Inter - Yes
Lukaku to Chelsea - huge no
Pogba to United - I'd say Yes
Hazard to Madrid - No
Dembele to Barcelona - Nope, but still got 50m back and a few league titles? It was worth a punt even if he didn't workout exactly as intended
Coutinho to Barcelona - Hell No
I mean pretty much no Utd fan thinks this but do go on.
Just a few posts up

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Probably a higher % than say £40m, just that nobody takes much notice.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
These CR7 fanboys be hurting for life. The inferiority complex really gets to them that they need to put GOAT whenever Ronaldo is mentioned even though it's not relevant to the discussion. :lol:
Well its certainly between him and di stefano as the madrid goat. And recent glory counts for more.

Rojofiam

People putting the likes of Neymar, Pogba, Maguire, Rice, etc., are you fecking serious?

What has exactly PSG won from 220m million Neymar that they haven't already won? Also he was injured a lot and had no resale value.

Rice has just signed for Arsenal ffs, just becauseue was good for few seasons before that it doesn't mean yet that it's a great transfer, they bought him because they offered the most, there is absolutely nothing brilliant about that. But then some people think success is fighting for title for two months so maybe they think that's enough improvement for 100m player? For all we know he can become the best trasnfer of all times, but if Arsenal finish second with less points than last year, what exactly did they get?

Pogba and Maguire aren't even worth arguing, anyone saying that deserves ignore in football forum.

Comparing thise transfers with the likes of Ronaldo, Van Dijk, Zidane, de Bruyne, etc. is laughable stuff.
Astonishing that there are people putting maguire in the justified category.
When we signed him, he was 26 years old, one of the best centre backs in the league and there's always the English tax, especially when United are involved. It was also during those years when centre backs started going for huge money. We overpaid by 10 or 20 million, but that's it. He was never going to leave for less than 60 million pounds. His first two seasons and then the Euros showed that he is, in fact, a great defender.

If he leaves next summer, he will have had 2 great seasons, 1 nightmare season (where every player was shockingly bad), 1 season where ETH benched him, and we'll see how this season pans out but he's been pretty good so far.

Just because you're a casual football fan who'd rather follow the social media narratives and ridicule Maguire because that's the popular thing to do, and blame him for every single goal United or England concede with him on the pitch, won't change the fact that he's a good player.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
When we signed him, he was 26 years old, one of the best centre backs in the league and there's always the English tax, especially when United are involved. It was also during those years when centre backs started going for huge money. We overpaid by 10 or 20 million, but that's it. He was never going to leave for less than 60 million pounds. His first two seasons and then the Euros showed that he is, in fact, a great defender.

If he leaves next summer, he will have had 2 great seasons, 1 nightmare season (where every player was shockingly bad), 1 season where ETH benched him, and we'll see how this season pans out but he's been pretty good so far.

Just because you're a casual football fan who'd rather follow the social media narratives and ridicule Maguire because that's the popular thing to do, and blame him for every single goal United or England concede with him on the pitch, won't change the fact that he's a good player.
He's a good player, but he was never great defender. Just because he is underrated and ridiculed by some, doesn't mean he is a great player. Best season he's had for us was 7,5/10 at best, and everything else he was quite average to absolute shit like his last two seasons. Also I don't understand why are you explaining why we paid so much for him, there is nowhere explanation that player's value should be reduced because he is English and because ithe buyer is United.

For that kind of money you are supposed to get a defender who improves your defence single handedly, and not the one who causes havoc himself many times over these past few seasons.

AndySmith1990

Sorry but no. There's no justification for spending £80m on Harry Maguire. No club were willing to spend even half that on him last summer

Rojofiam

Exactly the type of responses I was expecting.

He's a good player, but he was never great defender. Just because he is underrated and ridiculed by some, doesn't mean he is a great player. Best season he's had for us was 7,5/10 at best, and everything else he was quite average to absolute shit like his last two seasons. Also I don't understand why are you explaining why we paid so much for him, there is nowhere explanation that player's value should be reduced because he is English and because ithe buyer is United.

For that kind of money you are supposed to get a defender who improves your defence single handedly, and not the one who causes havoc himself many times over these past few seasons.
He did single-handedly make our defense better. His best season was way better than 7.5 out of 10.

Sorry but no. There's no justification for spending £80m on Harry Maguire. No club were willing to spend even half that on him last summer
If he was available for 40m, I guarantee you that at least half the PL would've taken him without hesiation. What kind of a nonsense assumption is that? 40 million for one of the best centre backs in the league aged 26 and you think teams would turn their noses up at him? Delusional.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
He did single-handedly make our defense better. His best season was way better than 7.5 out of 10.
We finished third in his best season, and that season we also signed Bissaka too that made our defence better, it wasn't single handedly by any means. And that's hardly some world class improvement, considering we spent fortune on two defenders.

But anyway, that was just one season, you do realise he cost us our entire yearly budget in some seasons?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Very few. Seeing Grealish and Rice listed does make me recognise once again that United fans hold United to a much higher standard. Understandable, but claiming Rice has justified his fee in a matter of months is mental. They're worse off than last season. Grealish is an expensive sub this season, who will have a resale value of nowhere close to 100m. Crazy.

Ronaldo is probably the only certainty. You could make a case for Van Dijk. Bale too has to be considered worth the fee despite the ending.
How do you make a case for VVD? He has been one of world's best since signing for Liverpool. It's a definite yes for me.

Hammondo

Exactly the type of responses I was expecting.

If he was available for 40m, I guarantee you that at least half the PL would've taken him without hesiation. What kind of a nonsense assumption is that? 40 million for one of the best centre backs in the league aged 26 and you think teams would turn their noses up at him? Delusional.
He's never been one of the best, and 7.5 is at most imo.

SER19

How do you make a case for VVD? He has been one of world's best since signing for Liverpool. It's a definite yes for me.
Ya im saying that he, after the definite Ronaldo, is about next in line in terms of justification. Its a compliment

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
depends what side of the fence you’re on. dortmund were clearly justified in selling sancho for more than 70m.