How many times have we won from behind since Fergie Left?

Djemba-Djemba

Weirdly it seems like if we go behind really early we tend to struggle badly.

Off the top of my head we conceded very early goals against Chelsea, Fenerbache and Spurs tonight and even though we had plenty of time to get back into it we lost all of those comfortably.

Even Burnley on boxing day, we went behind early on and it was like it completely floored us for the rest of the game.

Baby Groot

FA cup final vs Pardiola but I cannot think about any other game

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Boro at home during the festive period last season. Two goals in two minutes late on.

Newcastle this season.

diplomat

The team lacks backbone, no complacency whatsoever under pressure and our fluidity starts to crumble pretty fast if things don't go our way - especially against top teams, that can hurt us by different methods.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
That United attitude is dead and buried. We're a team of average players and talented primadonnas these days. I don't think some of them truly know what it is like to grit your teeth and push hard, wave after wave until the opposition crumble. These feckers just seem to think they're better than the opposition and just wait for something to happen. Inevitably it never, ever fecking happens.

Giggs86

That was all down to Fergie. We don't have that winning from behind trait anymore. Fergie instilled that sort of mentality in his teams, that grit and never say die attitude.

Savantona

13/14

Sunderland - Man Utd 1-2
Man Utd - Stoke 3-2
Hull - Man Utd 2:3
Man Utd - Aston Villa 4:1

14/15

Man Utd - Man City 4:2

2015/2016

Southampton - Man Utd 2:3

16/17

Man Utd - Middlesbrough 2:1

17/18

Man Utd - Newcastle 4:1

We've come from behind a few times in the cups and europe as well, those are only league results

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
13/14

Sunderland - Man Utd 1-2
Man Utd - Stoke 3-2

14/15

2015/2016

16/17

17/18

We've come from behind a few times in the cups and europe as well, those are only league results
Moyeseh!

:drool:

Raw

To add to @Savantona's list above:

14/15
Preston North End 1-3 Man Utd (FA Cup 5th Round)

15/16
Man Utd 3-1 Club Brugge (CL Qualifier)
Man Utd 2-1 Wolfsburg (CL Groups)
Man Utd 5-1 Mdtjylland (EL Round of 32)
Man Utd 2-1 Palace (FA Cup Final)

16/17
Blackburn 1-2 Man Utd (FA Cup 5th Round)

17/18
Man Utd 2-1 CSKA Moscow (CL Groups)
Man Utd 2-1 Chelsea (PL)
Palace 2-3 Man Utd (PL)

So we've come back from a losing position 17 times since Fergie retired.

el3mel

Today was the most SAF esque comeback since he retired. Gave me the vibes of his last season again. :drool:

greggsy

13/14

Sunderland - Man Utd 1-2
Man Utd - Stoke 3-2

14/15

2015/2016

16/17

17/18

That Stoke game is the last time weve been losing at half time andre still won.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We did it 9 times in Fergie’s final season plus a further 3 times in the CL. Crazy.

Web of Bissaka

Combining both excellent posts by @Savantona and @Raw above.

Moyes 13/14

Sunderland 1-2 Man Utd (EPL)
Man Utd 3-2 Stoke (EPL)
Hull 2-3 Man Utd (EPL)
Man Utd 4-1 Aston Villa (EPL)

LVG 14/15
Preston North End 1-3 Man Utd (FA Cup 5th Round)
Man Utd 4-2 Man City (EPL)

LVG 15/16
Man Utd 3-1 Club Brugge (CL Qualifier)
Man Utd 2-1 Wolfsburg (CL Groups)
Man Utd 5-1 Mdtjylland (EL Round of 32)
Man Utd 2-1 Palace (FA Cup Final)
Southampton 2-3 Man Utd (EPL)

Mourinho 16/17
Blackburn 1-2 Man Utd (FA Cup 5th Round)
Man Utd 2-1 Middlesbrough (EPL)

Mourinho 17/18
Man Utd 4-1 Newcastle (EPL)
Man Utd 2-1 CSKA Moscow (CL Groups)
Man Utd 2-1 Chelsea (EPL)
Crystal Palace 2-3 Man Utd (EPL)

:keano: Total 17 games so far.

*Let's keep this record consistently updated.

beep

That was some old-school shiv right there. Class comeback. Fight till the end. Great result.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's been 5 years since we came back from being 2 goals behind but to be fair that doesn't happen all too often and when it does it's always unlikely to result in a win. Last time it happened to Mourinho was in 2006 with Chelsea.

Sylar

The pattern says we will be 3 nil down to Liverpool, Jose will make radical changes as we win 4-3

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
The pattern says we will be 3 nil down to Liverpool, Jose will make radical changes as we win 4-3
If that happened, the moment the 4th goal went in, i'd scream so hard that my blood pressure exceeds the threshold of any artery in my body and I burst. But due to the excessive endorphins released from my happiness moments before, I burst into a ball of red and yellow flames which take the shape momentarily of the united badge. Along with this, a fleeting rapture of U-N-I-TED is heard for 3 seconds before absolute silence.

Green_Red

We've done it in the last two games. Pundits said last week that the comeback felt like a turning point. Based on today Id say they were right. Great effort to come out in the second half, concede early on and stil come back from 2 goals down to win. Team needs to be commended, especially when you consider the first half performance.

Red1968

I was thinking about that when we scored our first goal. That great feeling under Fergie (esp the late 90s and early 2000s squads) where they were never out of a game and just had the audacity to believe they could come back from any deficit. The 5-3 comeback win at Spurs is still probably one my favourite games of all time. Recorded that on my DVR on one of those premier classic episodes and watch it still. Tonight felt a little bit like that, but just a little sadly!

Reactions: Penna

RoyoftheRavers

Conor McNamara on BBC Radio 5 Live said that in the previous 28 Premier League games where United were losing at half time, they failed to come back to win any of them.

What made it funny retrospectively was that he said it while we were 2-1 down.

cyril C

Coming back from 1 goal behind is quite normal. Coming back from 2 goals would be much harder to achieve. I only recall a game against Spurs that we came back from 2 goals behind (forgotten it was home or away), scorer was Rooney and CR, so long time ago.

Giggs86

Coming back from 1 goal behind is quite normal. Coming back from 2 goals would be much harder to achieve. I only recall a game against Spurs that we came back from 2 goals behind (forgotten it was home or away), scorer was Rooney and CR, so long time ago.
There were two memorable wins from behind vs Spurs. One was the famous game of two halves, when they were leading 3-0 at HT but we managed to comeback and win 3-5. The second time they were 0-2 ahead and we came back to win it 5-2.

Acole9

Outstanding
Apparently last night was the first time in four years.

sugar_kane

If that happened, the moment the 4th goal went in, i'd scream so hard that my blood pressure exceeds the threshold of any artery in my body and I burst. But due to the excessive endorphins released from my happiness moments before, I burst into a ball of red and yellow flames which take the shape momentarily of the united badge. Along with this, a fleeting rapture of U-N-I-TED is heard for 3 seconds before absolute silence.
This needs more love^

noodlehair

"It's like..."
We came from 2-0 down to win away at Hull under Moyes...and I think there was a game against Stoke under him which we came from behind to win with two late goals. Not really relevant to my point but just to prove I can remember this happening.

This season though...We came from a goal down to beat Chelsea last week and before that no one had even got a point off them this season when they'd scored first. We won last night from two goals down. We beat Newcastle 4-1 from a goal down. We beat CSKA from a goal down. We got a draw against Burnley from two goals down. There's a couple of other games we've drawn after conceding first.

I don't think there's a problem to be honest, except that we struggle to create when teams sit off in general. The fighting spirit is definitely there, and there's less panicking than last season (we could have had our own top 20 open goal misses of the season contest last year). I can't think of many games where we've gone behind and looked like we've just given up or not reacted? Tottenham maybe.

We were good at doing it under Ferguson, but a) We were generally a better team than whoever we were up against, and b) we also had a habit of getting ourselves into a mess in games we should have been winning comfortably in the first place. Not that I'm complaining, but it's easier to come back to win 3-2, 4-3 etc...against teams you're good enough to be thrashing 4-0 in the first place. We have to be 100% on our game these days to even think about being able to do that to most teams.

Last edited:

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yeah it's more that we seem to very often play very poorly in the first half of games.