How much of a priority is signing a centre-back this summer?

jesperjaap

See a lot of comments about how it isnt a priority if we sign a decent cm. Funny as go back a year or so and the comments were a CM wasnt a priority if we signed a decent cb behind them.

A cb is definately a prirority. Maguire has been a massive flop, Lindelof is a squad player, JOnes and Bailly have had injury problems and neither has excelled in 3/4 seasons now, Tuanzabe never progressed into the playerwe hoped....that only leave Varane.

But we have so many priorities. Bother defensive midfield berths need filling first team wise, but in all honesty I really dont see a single outfield position forgetting yougnsters/new signings as too early where we can say, yes there is consistent quality....only way people ever defend this is with stats

jem

A world class and a beast of CB is still needed and required.

Varane is really good CB. For me not a world class CB. Natural kind for my taste. Both Maguire and Varane is Ole transfer. Buy a beast of CB next time. Quick in the first metres and turn around or hard to pass and beat one on one.

Natural beast is needed. Not one try to be.

Ole kind and calm manager = Calm and kind players. United need natural beast a la Stam or Vidic
My god you shoehorned the word 'beast' 4 times into that post.

jem

See a lot of comments about how it isnt a priority if we sign a decent cm. Funny as go back a year or so and the comments were a CM wasnt a priority if we signed a decent cb behind them.

A cb is definately a prirority. Maguire has been a massive flop, Lindelof is a squad player, JOnes and Bailly have had injury problems and neither has excelled in 3/4 seasons now, Tuanzabe never progressed into the playerwe hoped....that only leave Varane.

But we have so many priorities. Bother defensive midfield berths need filling first team wise, but in all honesty I really dont see a single outfield position forgetting yougnsters/new signings as too early where we can say, yes there is consistent quality....only way people ever defend this is with stats
I can't remember the last time the general consensus was that we didn't need a CM.

jesperjaap

I can't remember the last time the general consensus was that we didn't need a CM.
It certainly wasnt from me, thought it for ages. But there were lots of posts two years ago,even last year arguing agaist the suggestion saying they were protected behind with trust in centre backs, centre backs with the ability to cycle the ball to them etc etc etc. This seemed to be a big argument on defending the likes of Pogba, Fred, McTominay.....was obviously drivel but did seem quite prevelant in threads then.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Not at all. We have Varane who 8s one of the beyt defenders. We have Lindelof who paired with Varane plays pretty good. We have Bailly who is very good backup.
And we have Maguire who we can't sell so he must play.

Abraxas

I think it's needed. But I think the profile of the signing has to align with other priorities. If we can get this "world class" centre half for a fee that allows us to resolve other problems then who would turn their nose up at that, there's room for improvement here. But generally such players aren't cheap.

Why not go for a young centre half that's quick, good on the ball, but with something to learn? Ship out Jones, Bailly and Tuanzebe who are on the payroll but contribute little. We'd be stronger for that transaction.

Maguire and Lindelof aren't complete no hopers, if you have a world class CB in Varane and two players like this then it should be enough. It comes down to understanding and team structure. But if we buy a young CB that offers different qualities it addresses the age profile we have among our CBs and gives us something extra without blowing our load on a lower priority position.

Kilman is exactly the type I'd like but he'd probably command a fair fee. We'd have to see on that one.

OrcaFat

Order of priority:

DM
CF
CM
RB
RW
GK
LB
CB
LW

Would be the most United thing ever to end up focusing on CB and LW.
I pretty much agree with the order of priority in that list.

Spend £200m sorting the first four positions in the list and we actually won’t be far off challenging.

More likely we spend £75-£100m (not peanuts, I know) on 4 or 5 random players who will barely be able to get into the team. Include the obligatory past-it megastar for good measure and we’ll cement our challenge for UEFA conference.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Spend £200m sorting the first four positions in the list and we actually won’t be far off challenging.

More likely we spend £75-£100m (not peanuts, I know) on 4 or 5 random players who will barely be able to get into the team. Include the obligatory past-it megastar for good measure and we’ll cement our challenge for UEFA conference.
It's hard to pick between DM and CF really. They feel equally essential. CB feels a relative luxury compared to those two positions.

The average pot has been over £100m Given in recent seasons, we've just pissed it away. Any arguments we've been stingy are laughable for a team that's spent over £1bn to win three cups.

jesperjaap

Not at all. We have Varane who 8s one of the beyt defenders. We have Lindelof who paired with Varane plays pretty good. We have Bailly who is very good backup.
And we have Maguire who we can't sell so he must play.
So I can appreciate not saying its a priority, but does that mean you think our defence is good enough or just that not being able to sell Maguiremeans we should stick?

The telling part for me is "pretty good" alongisde Varane

jesperjaap

It's hard to pick between DM and CF really. They feel equally essential. CB feels a relative luxury compared to those two positions.

The average pot has been over £100m Given in recent seasons, we've just pissed it away. Any arguments we've been stingy are laughable for a team that's spent over £1bn to win three cups.
Yes pissed away or signed badly is prevelant. This summer we are talkign about a centre back and centre froward when we already signed one of each last summer and it was supposed to be a magic window. I think the Greenwood situation is huge in terms of more of a need to sign a cf or rw but two central midfielder is the priority for me. We have failed to sign anybody there bar yet another awful signing in terms of the right man in VDB.

I would love a Fofana,Bellingham,Rice or Haaland this summer but pretty much none are feasible. We do need to find quality for reasonable fees. Thowing huge sums at players without barel a first team appearance or gambling on championship players that dont even look good technically as we have done under Ole is certainly not the way. I think we should (you jsut never know) be spending more than the average pot this summer though as I just cant see how there wont be several outs this summer with contract situations and a few seemingly unhappy players. I expect it to be more £150m+ minimum (or maybe being too hopeful)

Irwin99

Full backs, midfield and striker are far more pressing concerns imo.

croadyman

Yeah totally agree with that order

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Not from me. CM/DM has been the priority for the last two seasons. I said we'd struggle this season if we didn't address it.

croadyman

We shouldn't need to bloody pick

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So I can appreciate not saying its a priority, but does that mean you think our defence is good enough or just that not being able to sell Maguiremeans we should stick?

The telling part for me is "pretty good" alongisde Varane
I am in minority but i really rate highly Varane- Lindelof partnership. I think that they are modern partnership and on par with any duo in PL.
Also i think that Bailly is good squad player. Sure he has his flaws (going in mad mode) but he has also many good traits which will any new (attacking) manager will exploit better than Solskjaer.
So yes, i think our defence is sorted (except right back where we need first choice option).

Dmc with playmaking ability is absolute priority.
Then striker. And then right back.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Striker that is can contribute in the build up and is clinical

A bloody DM

An right back that contributes in attack

A left footed right winger

Any of these positions would improve us significantly more than a CB would right now

croadyman

A bloody DM

Any of these positions would improve us significantly more than a CB would right now
Yeah hard to argue with that, would also throw in a CM who can control tempo too

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

A bloody DM

Even if we buy new Robben (best example for right footed right winger), he will end playing on left wing. Because.....that is what we do :wenger:

jamesjimmybyrondean

I am in minority but i really rate highly Varane- Lindelof partnership. I think that they are modern partnership and on par with any duo in PL.
Also i think that Bailly is good squad player. Sure he has his flaws (going in mad mode) but he has also many good traits which will any new (attacking) manager will exploit better than Solskjaer.
So yes, i think our defence is sorted (except right back where we need first choice option).

It's only the Watford game I remember them playing together but that was honestly the most assured I felt about our defense in a very long time.

What other games did they partner together.

jesperjaap

Fair enough. I actually rate Bailly, thought he looked raw but really talented in his first season. He hasnt progressed though and the injuries and as you say mad moments, lost belief in him.

As for Lindelof, I have constantly criticised him. I am not going to slate him again as to be fair I think he has improved a lot over the last 18months, but personally I see him as a valuable squad player, but not a starter. It will be interesting to see if he is playing, how he fares over the next few games as we havent face many big sides or top top strikers, I expect to see some of his flaws exposed again sadly

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It's only the Watford game I remember them playing together but that was honestly the most assured I felt about our defense in a very long time.

What other games did they partner together.
They played Villa game (so not good examples i guess :) ). But as i said, it is just my feeling thst those two can form excellent partnership.
Having said that, i don't see that any manager will bench Maguire so we will not buy now CD and neither we will see Varane-Lindelof often

lex talionis

Not a priority at all.

DM and CF is a must!
This, which others have said as well.

If an opportunity arises to move Maguire on to a club like Newcastle while we snatch an overlooked but decent CB in his late 20s, by all means let’s jump on it. Bailly could step in as our third choice CB. Not sure what the future holds for Tuanzebe and Mengi. But no, shoveling a ton of cash for a CB should not be a priority for us.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Yes pissed away or signed badly is prevelant. This summer we are talkign about a centre back and centre froward when we already signed one of each last summer and it was supposed to be a magic window. I think the Greenwood situation is huge in terms of more of a need to sign a cf or rw but two central midfielder is the priority for me. We have failed to sign anybody there bar yet another awful signing in terms of the right man in VDB.

I would love a Fofana,Bellingham,Rice or Haaland this summer but pretty much none are feasible. We do need to find quality for reasonable fees. Thowing huge sums at players without barel a first team appearance or gambling on championship players that dont even look good technically as we have done under Ole is certainly not the way. I think we should (you jsut never know) be spending more than the average pot this summer though as I just cant see how there wont be several outs this summer with contract situations and a few seemingly unhappy players. I expect it to be more £150m+ minimum (or maybe being too hopeful)
Agree completely- under Ole we spent £116m on two CBs, it's crazy it still a problem area. The wages of Ronaldo/Cavani are c£900k a week, obviously the loss of Greenwood could not be forseen.

Sancho is looking better, jury's out on Amad and Pellestri, but yep you can count on one hand the number of players we have who were good value.

Does feel we could easily spend £200m on four players and the squad still feel paper thin.

jamesjimmybyrondean

They played Villa game (so not good examples i guess :) ). But as i said, it is just my feeling thst those two can form excellent partnership.
Having said that, i don't see that any manager will bench Maguire so we will not buy now CD and neither we will see Varane-Lindelof often
I don't think benching Maguire is a problem and would be why we won't get a CB. Id say the club would just not spend much on a CB this summer given how much we've spent on that position already. If get one it would be really cheap and would be to replace bench options of Baily and Lindelof

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We have spent maybe 150-200 mil on CBs over 5 years. And we still go into each game wondering if they will feck up. Its insane. It will depend on the new manager. But I dont see anyone trying to do anything other than Varane - Maguire. Not until a disaster happens.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
People have to accept that we haven’t got a bottomless pile of money. Centre back simply isn’t going to be a priority because at least we have player who play in that position.

jesperjaap

Agree completely- under Ole we spent £116m on two CBs, it's crazy it still a problem area. The wages of Ronaldo/Cavani are c£900k a week, obviously the loss of Greenwood could not be forseen.

Sancho is looking better, jury's out on Amad and Pellestri, but yep you can count on one hand the number of players we have who were good value.

Does feel we could easily spend £200m on four players and the squad still feel paper thin.
Yes and we will probably have considerably less to spend and we need 5/6

Lemon Moon

Not a priority for me, we have 4 decent CBs & Jones (straight face) plus the youth to come through/back from loan.

By far more pressing is midfield & potentially even the forward line considering we could have lost 4 of our forwards by the end of the season. (G'wood, Cavani, Martial, Cristiano)

MUFC OK

It really depends, if it’s a direct Maguire replacement then it’s arguably number 1. If it’s just another option then probably about 3rd or 4th on the list.

Even still I don’t envisage a reality where at least one, more likely 2 midfielders isn’t top of the list.

croadyman

Should only be a priority IF Rudiger is really leaving Chelsea and actually open to joining a direct league rival, otherwise it's well below DM,ST,RB,RW even CM on list

EtH

RB, CDM, CM, RW and ST all far more of a priority.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
  1. Striker - currently possibly Ronaldo if he stays or nobody
  2. DM - currently mctominay
  3. Wide forward - currently just rashford
  4. CM - currently just Fred with Pogba leaving
This is my priority list. RB we have 2 OK options, nothing special but at least we have players. Same with left back or center back. These 4 are vital this summer. Only 1 option in each position and none which are good enough realistically to start.

croadyman

1. Striker - currently possibly Ronaldo if he stays or nobody
  2. DM - currently mctominay
  3. Wide forward - currently just rashford
  4. CM - currently just Fred with Pogba leaving
This is my priority list. RB we have 2 OK options, nothing special but at least we have players. Same with left back or center back. These 4 are vital this summer. Only 1 option in each position and none which are good enough realistically to start.
Would probably slot attacking RB in there between RW & CM, however there is a serious lack of quality in the middle so I'm torn on this.

Tallis

I think it’s a pretty high priority. Maguire shouldn’t be playing, Bailly is always injured or coming back from injury leaving only Lindelof and Varane. The former is ok but not great and the latter has injury issues as well.

If Ronaldo stays, the striker issue can be postponed for a year. MF - need to sign at least 1 if not 2 players.

NoPace

Maguire just turned 29, but he was barely hanging on today in terms of being able to turn and run. Could easily have been sent off. I think we need to sell him while it's still possible. Even if we can get 30M for him from another Prem side, that can at least buy a decent CB.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
We don't have a CB issue, in that area we have a Maguire issue and the club won't accept it was a mistake.
CM might have its problems but if you don't keep the ball in the final third to move the opponents backward both your midfielders and defenders will always look shit.
Barring Sancho non of our forwards can keep the ball.