How much worse will it get before it gets better?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Too many issues within the side to resolve within one summer. I don’t think it’ll be anywhere as painful as this (I think this is our objectively worse season ever - most goals conceded; fewest points etc.) but it won’t be pretty.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Can't see it getting worse. Next season will be the first time we've had a modern manager post Fergie. I'm sure our style of football and, as a result of said style, results will reflect that.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It wont get any worse unless Ten Hag is a complete and utter fraud. Even if he is I don't think he can be worse than our fraud of an interim.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Imagine City and Pogba lifting the Champions League next season…

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This is the floor. Somehow we'll still finish the season in 6th. But like, there will be massive change in the summer and it should be a pretty swift improvement on this.

OrcaFat

This is the floor. Somehow we'll still finish the season in 6th. But like, there will be massive change in the summer and it should be a pretty swift improvement on this.
Yeah. It’s actually a miracle we’re not much lower than sixth with the sheer number of dire performances and results.

Dannn411

Depends on how willing the club is to take drastic measures. if there is a mass clearout (i'm talking 10-15 players sold or released or not renewed plus massive backing and independence for the new manager), then the period of pain may be limited to one or two years. But if the club keeps on believing that somebody will fall out of the sky somewhere and somehow make these players great, then be prepared for 5-10 years of pain.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Can't see it getting worse. Next season will be the first time we've had a modern manager post Fergie. I'm sure our style of football and, as a result of said style, results will reflect that.
It's quite obvious that our problems are far bigger than just a manager and players. We are not a well run club.

Don't be surprised if new manager doesn't make us decent again.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
This is as worse as it will get. No way he hire another manager as incompetent as the last two. Only way it gets much worse is if we stop supporting our manager, but then again at least we won't have a team filled with divas

Irwin99

It might actually get worse :nervous: The important thing will be to have patience with ten Hag and hope the recruitment is good and that players buy into his methods. It's one hell of a task he's got though and I think some people are expecting almost an entirely new first team.

Blood Mage

Can it honestly get worse than today? Today was our worst performance in the Premier League era, comfortably.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I don’t understand how it’s not already worse than it is. It makes no sense that we’re sixth. We should be down there clinging on with Everton.

el3mel

I'll suggest to fully enjoy the 3 months of summer. We as fans deserve such long break after being tortured week in week out.

I don't think I'll tag in for the pre-season. Nah, feck that. I want a long break and to rest from anything Man United.

Need to get ready for a new awful season. :drool:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It can only get better from here with ten Hag. He's a superior Coach at actually coaching both the offensive and defensive transition and he'll also have a full team of Coaches assisting him, which will be a big upgrade on Chris Armas imo.

But what will be just as important as the above will be Erik ten Hag's man-management skills in comparison to what we've seen with Rangnick. EtH will not throw any of his players under the bus (similar to Pep/Klopp) in public but will be ruthless privately. Because team spirit/harmony is a big thing for EtH and unfortunately Rangnick didn't see it the same way and hence the players are not responding to him because he's maligned them in public numerous times. And quite a few of those players are leaving regardless so it wasn't clever to lose the players like he did. Because that is only going to hurt the club/fans in the short term.

jm99

It won't get any worse. Ole and rangnick are both poor managers, neither would get another premier League job, neither were managing a top team or even in a top league when we appointed them. Our last proper manager was mourinho (and really the only manager who could have been considered a top manager post fergie) and despite how toxic he was and that he was past his best he got us second with 81 points. We've regressed because we've appointed two amateurs, and now we're getting a professional in the summer.

Minimum expectation should be top 4 next year but really we should be expecting a huge boost over what ole and rangnick did

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
It will only get better once this squad gets gutted. This squad will only get gutted if they're smashed regularly.

Flying high

It won't get any worse. Ole and rangnick are both poor managers, neither would get another premier League job, neither were managing a top team or even in a top league when we appointed them. Our last proper manager was mourinho (and really the only manager who could have been considered a top manager post fergie) and despite how toxic he was and that he was past his best he got us second with 81 points. We've regressed because we've appointed two amateurs, and now we're getting a professional in the summer.

Minimum expectation should be top 4 next year but really we should be expecting a huge boost over what ole and rangnick did
I like your optimism. But really, we'll be losing so many players that unless several new players hit the ground running we'll be lucky not to fall even further back. At least to start with.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's quite obvious that our problems are far bigger than just a manager and players. We are not a well run club.

I think it's very obvious that the main problem has definitely been the manager though. The manager has a massive impact. A top manager can make a mediocre structure seem like it's working, and a shit manager can make a good structure look bad. It's the single most important position in the football club and we've had it horribly wrong the past decade.

Of course, we've had the worst of both worlds, but for once I'm optimistic with the manager, while there is a shit ton of changes going on behind the scenes, so nobody can say what will happen but it certainly won't be the same, simply because everyone left their job and it'll be new people in. That stuff takes years to see if it is working or not. One of the biggest signs that it wasn't working before were the managerial selections. But with regards to next season with Ten Hag... it's literally just recruitment and the manager and his coaching staff. We need to make some good signings and we need a manager in who will inspire the team to play, and the club has to know how to get a squad that meshes well together. Half of it being cleared out is an easy start to fix a big problem, and Ten Hag finally being a good coach is another big fix to a big problem.

And I know everyone likes saying it's all been a disaster and all that... but it really hasn't. We've had mediocre managers this past decade. We all are in agreement of this. Despite that, we've:
  • Won the community shield twice
  • Won the FA Cup once, runner up twice
  • Won the league cup once, semi finals a few times
  • Won the Europa league once, runner up once
  • Finished 2nd twice, and in the top 4 in 3 of the past 4 years
You're never really that far away from getting back on track. If Ole can get 3rd and 2nd with a bunch of cup finals/semi finals... then Ten Hag can get us going on the pitch as well. Simple as that. Whatever is going on behind the scenes, if the manager is right and he gets a group of players who believe in him and suit each other, then you're already on the way up.

Yagami

Good post resistant

We shall see. If ten Hag is as good as he's hyped to be, and he gets the right players for his tactics, I'm optimistic we'll be better than anything we've seen since Sir Alex.

jm99

I like your optimism. But really, we'll be losing so many players that unless several new players hit the ground running we'll be lucky not to fall even further back. At least to start with.
In fairness the players were losing have either been permacrocked this season like cavani or just generally too old to be regularly available like Mata and matic. The only "first teamer" We're probably losing is pogba but again he's missed large chunks of the season. We need a couple of midfielders, an option up front to take the burden of playing every game off Ronaldo and probably a right back. If we're very lucky a right winger as well, those five signings should be enough for top 4. Pogbas the only loss that's a big player but really him and Bruno take up a lot of the same spaces

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It might actually get worse :nervous: The important thing will be to have patience with ten Hag and hope the recruitment is good and that players buy into his methods. It's one hell of a task he's got though and I think some people are expecting almost an entirely new first team.
Which is stupid and not needed.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Remember when Spurs looked abysmal against us under Nuno? Now they're 1-0 up against Liverpool. It doesn't take much to turn this around. Hopefully ETH can.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I think it's very obvious that the main problem has definitely been the manager though. The manager has a massive impact. A top manager can make a mediocre structure seem like it's working, and a shit manager can make a good structure look bad. It's the single most important position in the football club and we've had it horribly wrong the past decade.

Of course, we've had the worst of both worlds, but for once I'm optimistic with the manager, while there is a shit ton of changes going on behind the scenes, so nobody can say what will happen but it certainly won't be the same, simply because everyone left their job and it'll be new people in. That stuff takes years to see if it is working or not. One of the biggest signs that it wasn't working before were the managerial selections. But with regards to next season with Ten Hag... it's literally just recruitment and the manager and his coaching staff. We need to make some good signings and we need a manager in who will inspire the team to play, and the club has to know how to get a squad that meshes well together. Half of it being cleared out is an easy start to fix a big problem, and Ten Hag finally being a good coach is another big fix to a big problem.

And I know everyone likes saying it's all been a disaster and all that... but it really hasn't. We've had mediocre managers this past decade. We all are in agreement of this. Despite that, we've:
  • Won the community shield twice
  • Won the FA Cup once, runner up twice
  • Won the league cup once, semi finals a few times
  • Won the Europa league once, runner up once
  • Finished 2nd twice, and in the top 4 in 3 of the past 4 years
You're never really that far away from getting back on track. If Ole can get 3rd and 2nd with a bunch of cup finals/semi finals... then Ten Hag can get us going on the pitch as well. Simple as that. Whatever is going on behind the scenes, if the manager is right and he gets a group of players who believe in him and suit each other, then you're already on the way up.
You seem quite positive about all this, and I disagree. If manager is allowed to do anything he wants, and if he is backed up with money and good signings then I would be positive, but I am quite sure that won't happen because we haven't seen it under any manager so far, even Fergie wasn't fully backed and allowed to do whatever he wanted to do.

First thing, we have no idea if Ten Hag will know how to motivate highest paid players in the world, and things like giving Bruno new fat contract before new manager is here, despite him already being on long term contract is a terrible thing to do motivation wise, and still goes to show our main problems at the club. I mean, we are still offering Pogba new contract, which pretty much says it all.

Second, our scouting and negotiating policy is shite, it's quite obvious we have no idea how to buy good players, and what's changed regarding that? We will eventually end up overpaying few players which will either put too much pressure on them, or put pressure on manager to use them because they could be star signing that have to play because of marketing.

I agree our managers were shite, but at the same time all of those managers had pretty much the same problems:
- Mourinho finished second and wasn't backed up, even if they didn't trust him why didn't they sack him during the summer?
- We are without midfielders for years and it's quite obvious no one in the club in the past few transfer periods thought we needed them for some reason.
- Our scouts thought AWB was best fullback out of 200 they've scouted.
- someone in oue club thought Harry Maguire was the best CB in the world
- We appointed Rangnick to help us with the new manager, but after few weeks we have decided we will give him just the coaching duties and he won't be included in appointing a new manager or helping him, or even know anything inside the club than all of us on redcafe know, hell he doesn't even know what one of his guys that is sitting next to him does

For me it's quite obvious nothing major will change with just changing the manager, because people running the club are making the same mistakes at daily level. Plus the obvious thing is that we literally need 6-7 very good player at least, and no way Ten Hag will get that much money, or we'll be able to find them anyway.

saivet

If ETH is as good as we hope and think, there is no reason why it has to get worse.

M Bison

Supports
York City
It’ll be worse against Palace, that’ll be another disaster class. Hopefully improve thereafter.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
If ETH is as good as we hope and think, there is no reason why it has to get worse.
It won't. It will get better and better, it will probably be pretty awesome soon. I don't mean winning everything, but watching an entertaining and functioning team.

PeteReDevil

iPete
Yeah. It’s actually a miracle we’re not much lower than sixth with the sheer number of dire performances and results.
Can't fathom how we're that far up the table either. I somehow don't think we'll finish higher next season

Redfrog

Remember when Chelsea finished 10th ?
Unfortunately, I just know it’s impossible for us to bounce back and win the league.

I fear it can be like Liverpool : 20 years of misery…

el3mel

Remember when Chelsea finished 10th ?
Unfortunately, I just know it’s impossible for us to bounce back and win the league.

I fear it can be like Liverpool : 20 years of misery…
Chelsea won the league the season before they finished 10th.

Laurencio

I honestly think we'll be fine after the summer - fine in the sense of having a somewhat capable team that isn't completely shit - not challenging for anything just yet.

One more game in this never ending abysmal season...