How not to spend $1B+ on transfers - a look at how our squad quality has eroded since SAF.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout

Position/Year12-1313-1414-1515-1616-1717-1818-1919-2020-2121-2222-2323-24*
ManagerSAFMoyes
Giggs
LVGLVGMourinhoMourinhoMourinho
Ole
OleOleOle
Carrick
Rangnick
ETHETH
GKDDG
Lindegaard
DDG*
Lindegaard
DDG*
Valdes
DDG*
Romero
DDG*
Romero
DDGDDGDDGDDG
Henderson
DDGDDGOnana*
RBRafaelValencia
Rafael
Valencia
Rafael
Darmian
Valencia
Valencia
Darmian
Valencia
Darmian
Young
Dalot
Darmian
AWB
Williams
AWBAWB
Dalot
Dalot
AWB
Dalot
AWB
CBRio*
Vidic*
Evans

Smalling
Jones
Vidic
Jones

Evans
Smalling
Rio
Jones
Smalling
Rojo

Evans
McNair
Smalling
Rojo

Jones
McNair
TFM
Bailly
Rojo

Jones
Smalling
Tuanzebe
Smalling
Jones

Lindelof
Bailly
Rojo
Smalling
Lindelof

Jones
Bailly
Maguire
Lindelof
Maguire
Lindelof
Bailly
Tuanzebe
Maguire
Lindelof
Varane
Licha*
Varane

Lindelof
Maguire
Maguire
Evans
Lindelof
Varane
LBEvra*
Buttner
Evra
Buttner
Blind
Shaw
Blackett
Blind
CBJ
Shaw
Blind
Shaw
Young
Shaw
ShawShaw*
Young
Shaw
Telles
Shaw
Telles
Shaw*
Malacia
Shaw
Reguilon
DMCarrick*Carrick*CarrickCarrick
Schneiderlin
CarrickMatic*
McTominay
Matic
Fred
McTominay
MaticMaticMaticCasemiro*Casemiro
Amarabat
CMCleverley
Anderson
Cleverley
Fellaini
Fletcher
Herrera
Fellaini
Herrera
Fellaini
Schweinsteiger
Pogba*
Herrera*
Fellaini
Pogba*
Herrera
Fellaini
Pogba
Herrera
Fellaini
Fred
McT
Pogba
Fred
McT
Pogba
Fred
McT
Pogba
Fred
McT
Sabitzer
McT
Mainoo
CAMScholes
Kagawa
Mata*
Kagawa
Mata
Di Maria
MataMataMataMata
Pereira
Fernandes*
Pereira
Mata
Fernandes*
VDB
Mata
FernandesEriksen
Fernandes
Fernandes
Eriksen
Mount
RWValencia
Nani
Young
Nani
Zaha
YoungYoung
Lingard
Mkhi
Rashford
Young
Mkhi
Lingard
LingardRashford*
Lingard
Greenwood
James
Greenwood
Elanga
Antony
Elanga
Antony
LWYoung
Giggs
Januzaj
Giggs
JanuzajMartial*
Depay
Martial
Lingard
Alexis*
Martial
Martial
Alexis*
JamesRashfordSancho*
Rashford
Sancho
Martial
Garnacho
Rashford
Garnacho
CFRVP*
Rooney*

Chicha
Welbeck
RVP
Rooney

Chicha
Welbeck
Rooney
RVP

Falcao
Wilson
Rooney
Rashford
Zlatan*
Rooney
Lukaku*
Rashford
Lukaku
Rashford
Martial
Greenwood*
Ighalo
Martial
Cavani
CR7
Cavani
Rashford*
Weghorst
CR7
Hojlund
Martial

Bold Green *: World Class
Bold Green: Very Good for PL
Green: Good/Consistent for PL
Blue: Average/Inconsistent for PL
Red: Poor for PL
Bold Red: Very bad for PL
Bold Red *: Absolutely Terrible

Of course, this is my recollection of our squad since SAF. I'm absolutely certain I am remembering certain players' forms very differently from reality, or left out certain players altogether, or got the positions wrong (especially across the front four - where player positions have been flexible). But what I'd like is to provide a bird's eye view of how every part of the squad has shockingly been worse despite our investment.

CF: We never managed to have a player like RVP again, forget the partnership he had with Rooney (and Chicha had a lot of goals in SAF's last season, too). That was our peak, and bar the one year each with Zlatan and Ronaldo, we never managed to replace our strikers - even one of them properly. How you spend so much and not get a Haaland or a Kane is beyond me.

LW/RW: One promising season of Januzaj, and after that it has been sporadic form from Martial, Rashford, and Greenwood. Barring last season from Rashford, none of those have been truly top tier either.

With the front three so neglected, where did we expect our goals to come from? Money/time wasted on Mkhitaryan, Depay, Sanchez, James, Lingard, Sancho, and now Antony. For now Garnacho seems like he may have some promise, but there's nothing to indicate that he won't fizzle away like Januzaj given how all players deteriorate at Old Trafford.

Midfield: I think we've had only one season of consistently good midfield performances across the last decade - the Matic-Pogba-Herrera combo under Jose. Matic was too old to sustain that, and Casemiro is too injured now to build around. We seem to buy and kill CAMs because we don't know how to balance a midfield around them, as seen with Kagawa, Mata, and now Bruno.

Defence: I don't know what to make of the defence, my recollection seems poor, but Maguire/Lindelof under early Ole and Licha/Varane under ETH last year are the only good CB pairings I can remember. Looking back, I feel bad for Rojo, Bailly, and Smalling - we never got them a good partner to have a chance.

GK - After a decade of DDG, who was bad towards the end, Onana seems even worse in his first season, as seen in the CL and some PL games. I don't know if he improves too much from here.

Each little section of poor transfers can be attributed to the manager at the time, sure, but who answers for the decade?

Juicy Juiced

People love to throw "world class" like Its going out of fashion.

Blind
Herrera
Licha
Mata.

No wonder we are shit.

PSV

So Pogba was world class for 2016/17 and 2017/18 and never made team of the year, but got in as average/inconsistent in 2018/19 ? Makes sense.

Also, Mainoo with a 1 in 3 error rate this season in the Prem is good/consistent? Bit hyperbole.

Hammondo

The squad quality eroded while saf was there, and you are showing huge bias towards those players in saf's last season, the majority of the players you labelled world class were definitely not at that point.