How seriously should we be taking the FA Cup this season?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
When I was much younger the FA Cup Road to Wembley was a big thing back then. Unfortunately, the cup now is just a distraction and most EPL team play their under strength team. The magic of the cup have long gone. If we won, it will be a bonus. Nothing to shout about.

The priority in club football now is:

1) CL
2) EPL
3) Top 4
4) EL
5) FA Cup
6) League Cup

If the English FA change the system and winner of the FA Cup qualify for the CL then it will bring back some importance of the cup.
Agree with most of it, except that I would have EL > top 4, as you get CL football after winning EL anyway, plus a trophy to celebrate.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The way the fixtures work out - what with Norwich being right after LASK - we can put out a strong-ish team. Had we drawn someone like Sevilla or Inter I'd say focus on the EL games and play the backups at Norwich.
Provided LASK isn't 120 minutes of hell, it will be full strength at Norwich as there is then an international break.

matt10000

When I was much younger the FA Cup Road to Wembley was a big thing back then. Unfortunately, the cup now is just a distraction and most EPL team play their under strength team. The magic of the cup have long gone. If we won, it will be a bonus. Nothing to shout about.

The priority in club football now is:

1) CL
2) EPL
3) Top 4
4) EL
5) FA Cup
6) League Cup

If the English FA change the system and winner of the FA Cup qualify for the CL then it will bring back some importance of the cup.
Agree with this list.

It was different when only the league champions and previous European Cup winners went into European cup. When I was young the only live football you saw on TV was FA Cup final, England friendlies and World Cup. The rest was highlights on Match Of The Day with Jimmy Hill and it was on late so you had to record it on video tape!

Eric's Seagull

Would be really happy if we win it. Although I think we should prioritise the League or the Europa League to get us to the Champions League next year. I think it would do great for the younger players to win a trophy together.

LingiBW

You’d only play Pogba in the FA cup ? :lol:
Laugh all you want mate, but Pogba has been injured for a while. The fa cup is a route to ease him back in and i did say rotations will happen depending on the situation. Sometime in early April i'd have him take a spot in the team that is geared towards us finishing as highly as we can in the league or winning Europa, but as of today, no. FA cup against Norwich and off the bench appearances in the other competitions.

alexthelion

This team needs to learn to win, it's a trophy, one of the most historic trophies in the world. Go for it. Says something when people are more bothered about getting fourth in a league that was only created to make money.
Agreed.

This, imo, was the problem with Poch at Spurs. if he'd taken the cups seriously and managed to win one, then the team would gain confidence from knowing that they are capapble of winning.

Yakuza_devils

Agree with most of it, except that I would have EL > top 4, as you get CL football after winning EL anyway, plus a trophy to celebrate.
But if you look from another perspective nobody want to be involved in EL in the first place. Everyone rather get TOP 4 and compete in CL.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
But if you look from another perspective nobody want to be involved in EL in the first place. Everyone rather get TOP 4 and compete in CL.
It depends how you see it. Once you get into top 4, all you want is CL football, but once you fail to progress beyond CL group stage, you go back to EL straight away anyway, and the only way to progress to CL again is to win EL, or get into top 4. But as I've mentioned, you get trophy to celebrate when winning EL, you don't get it finishing top 4. So in this perspective, CL football>EL trophy>top 4 finish.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Things have changed alot these days. I still remember we used to celebrate happily back in the old days when Cantona won us the FA Cup. But these days top 4 and CL football is everything. Not only for the money, but to attract top players too.
But sure, if we have already secure top 4, winning FA Cup would be great, it surely is something we would celebrate.
I'm not sure I understand this logic. The point of attracting top players is to that we can compete for trophies. Players play to win, supporters watch their clubs hoping they win something, this issue with the money is something for the owners and accountants to worry about, not us.

So to give up on trying to win a trophy so we can attract top players or earn more money is ironical, to say the least.

SirMattlives

Old enough to still care about the FA Cup. Win three games and it's silverware. Go for it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I'm not sure I understand this logic. The point of attracting top players is to that we can compete for trophies. Players play to win, supporters watch their clubs hoping they win something, this issue with the money is something for the owners and accountants to worry about, not us.

So to give up on trying to win a trophy so we can attract top players or earn more money is ironical, to say the least.
It depends what type of player you want to attract.
If you are top talent like Mbappe or Sancho, would you join a club who consistently fail to finish top 4 with no CL football for years, but occasionally win some domestic cup trophies? Of course not. They all want to shine on the biggest stage to build their career and legacy, and for club football, there's no bigger stage than CL.

w1thout

Why is the Norwich game due on Saturday, just a day's rest after we play LASK at home, and not Sunday ?

youmeletsfly

We are not in a position to cherry pick our throphies.

Don't wanna be a prick, but it's a bit of an arrogant thread.

Any trophy would do these players a lot of good and raise the spirit around.

This squad should be ok to fight on all 3 fronts, cup, uel and epl. Also, let's be honest, the uel and cup were pretty easg until now.

Loon

:lol:
I love the FA Cup and we would equal Arsenal’s most wins record if we won it.

It could supply the momentum this team needs to progress.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It depends what type of player you want to attract.
If you are top talent like Mbappe or Sancho, would you join a club who consistently fail to finish top 4 with no CL football for years, but occasionally win some domestic cup trophies? Of course not. They all want to shine on the biggest stage to build their career and legacy, and for club football, there's no bigger stage than CL.
Well I would rather Utd win cups with Lingard and Perreira than win nothing but finish in top 4 every season with Mbappe and Sancho. The point of any big club is to try to win every competition they enter. I don't want us to be like the liverpool or Arsenal of the 2000s and early 2010s who win nothing but quality for top 4 every year. Football is all about moments, winning a cup is a happy moment, celebrating at the end of the season because you finished 4th is no moment.