How the hell do these comebacks happen?

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Fitness. It's only the English teams making these comebacks. Playing the league at 100mph every week seems to be reaping rewards.
This goes back to Barcelona against PSG though, Roma against Barca, Juventus against Atletico...

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Have to say home advantage has been well and truly nulified in this competiton this season. Only really Anfield and Camp Nou are the two remaining venues where it's near impossible to force a result if you lose first leg but Real Madrid and Juventus both been done big time so those venues won't be as formidable in future seasons.

I know lots of people don't like it but away goal rule also plays a part. Doubt Spurs would've done this if they need 3 goals just to get extra time.

Bobski

It is the nature of football. In other sports the team playing better in general play will usually be rewarded with scoreboard dominance. The better team in football can miss chances while dominating the game, then bang, bang, 2 nil down despite thinking you were in control. Liverpool v Barca at the Nou Camp, for 65-70 mins Liverpool looked comfortably the stronger team but couldn't make their dominance count, could easily have lost by 5/6 in the end.

Basically football is the greatest sport.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
These comebacks happen because teams that dominate games regularly decide to change their game plans.

It’s dominant sides trying to park the bus with no outball when they don’t do it at any other point of the season.

You’re playing against great sides in the CL later stages, if you sit back long enough you’re going to concede as you’re just inviting pressure. Ajax caused them big issues all night on the counter and once it went 2-2, they stopped countering near as much. Defensive changes do not help either, it’s much better to try and maintain a forward threat, if you show some ambition you will score on the counter. The defensive subs are always without any thought usually as well. They are normally just subbing off an attacker for a defender so they have an extra body rather than any tactical thought for stopping the oppositions threat.

dogwithabone

You wonder if football has peaked this season, you could live to you’re 150 and never witness a season as dramatic as this one.

Hoof the ball

Is it a coincidence that Liverpool and Tottenham, the two teams in the Premier League known most for having a high work ethic, high fitness and high physicality would accomplish this? It makes complete sense.

Robertd0803

Teams are stupid and just dont know how to close out/kill off games anymore. There is something to be said for the dark arts and approaches like pre-United Jose and Diego Simiones.

Plus it seems teams are more willing to simply have a go when all seems lost and hope for the best. The more laughable collaspes like PSGs and Barcas in recent seasons will just encourage teams to just go balls to the wall and see what happens.

Hoof the ball

Can we also give credit to the Llorente sub again? it worked wonderfully in the 1st leg, and again in the 2nd. Ajax had no answer for long balls to Llorente, and him holding the ball up made it so much easier for Alli, Moura, Sissoko, Eriksen and co to push up high and trap Ajax in their own half.

Classical Mechanic

Have to say home advantage has been well and truly nulified in this competiton this season. Only really Anfield and Camp Nou are the two remaining venues where it's near impossible to force a result if you lose first leg but Real Madrid and Juventus both been done big time so those venues won't be as formidable in future seasons.

I know lots of people don't like it but away goal rule also plays a part. Doubt Spurs would've done this if they need 3 goals just to get extra time.
Agree. The away goal rule changes the psychology for both sides I think. That’s why I really like it, it makes the two legged games more exciting.

Robertd0803

Is it a coincidence that Liverpool and Tottenham, the two teams in the Premier League known most for having a high work ethic, high fitness and high physicality would accomplish this? It makes complete sense.
Great point and very true.

SungSam7

Comebacks aside, we've just seen Divock fecking Origi and Lucas fecking Moura fire their teams to the Champions League final. That by itself is Y-fronts-on-head fecking mental.
To be honest, Lucas is a good player, he is everything we need Lingard to be but that's never going to happen.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
How do these comebacks happen? Because people underestimate the psychological part of sport.

And to allow redcafe to type the word “bottle" whilst rubbing one out.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
These comebacks happen because teams that dominate games regularly decide to change their game plans.

It’s dominant sides trying to park the bus with no outball when they don’t do it at any other point of the season.

You’re playing against great sides in the CL later stages, if you sit back long enough you’re going to concede as you’re just inviting pressure. Ajax caused them big issues all night on the counter and once it went 2-2, they stopped countering near as much. Defensive changes do not help either, it’s much better to try and maintain a forward threat, if you show some ambition you will score on the counter. The defensive subs are always without any thought usually as well. They are normally just subbing off an attacker for a defender so they have an extra body rather than any tactical thought for stopping the oppositions threat.
Great point about changing game plans. Hadn't thought of that yet. Which raises the question: why do they feel tempted to change plan?

Baxter

Easier for teams with great motivators. No surprise that the teams who have chucked it have been the tacticians, where it’s very difficult to coach you’re way out of momentum like that.

GazTheLegend

This is my favourite post and explanation in this thread.

It was pretty much what Ferguson did: if Man Utd were winning, past the 60th minute he’d sub a striker and a midfielder. Rarely brought on defensive players unless he thought we were getting overrun and the game was square. He preferred fresh legs on a counter.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Anyone remember any times we blew a 3-goal lead? Off the top of my head Liverpool at Anfield in 1994, I'm sure there must have been some other times.

Irwin99

10 years ago you had Rafa, Jose and SAF who could all set up a superb defensive performance and 'see out' the games. It just seems harder and harder to do that now for whatever reason.

If you think back to our away performance against Barca this year we were utter shite for 80 minutes but we cut them open two or three times in the opening ten minutes. The same with PSG in Paris. From a Barca/PSG perspective that really shouldn't have happened and yet it did.

Havak

Pokemon master
It's psychological. People find an extra level when there is no other option.

This is especially telling as the majority of these comebacks occur when supposed key players are missing for the already underdog side.

RedIke

Is it just a CL thing? I can't for the life of me figure why or how this keeps happening in this competition. More so recently then ever. Off the top of my head, teams that should have been done and dusted.

United vs PSG
Barca vs PSG
Barca vs Roma
Liverpool vs Barca
Tottenham vs Ajax

I'm sure there's more. But I feel like it wasn't too long ago where getting a single away goal was the main objective. This is nuts.

el3mel

Players believing in their chance whatever minor it's and caring for their club ?

Classical Mechanic

Great point about changing game plans. Hadn't thought of that yet. Which raises the question: why do they feel tempted to change plan?
It’s not always about changing game plan this aspect. If you listen ex pros they say that getting deeper and deeper in that situation is something that happens naturally, team psychology. Often times you’ll see managers screaming for their players to push up the pitch.

Marcelinho87

Cause a world class defender today would be average 10 years ago.

It's all out attack these days.

Canagel

Because attacking football is the name of the game and momentum swings at the slight hint of mental fatigue.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is it just a CL thing? I can't for the life of me figure why or how this keeps happening in this competition. More so recently then ever. Off the top of my head, teams that should have been done and dusted.

United vs PSG
Barca vs PSG
Barca vs Roma
Liverpool vs Barca
Tottenham vs Ajax

I'm sure there's more. But I feel like it wasn't too long ago where getting a single away goal was the main objective. This is nuts.
It really is nuts. 3-0 leads used to be game over generally.

youmeletsfly

The game is progressing, tactics are progressing, analysis is as well. Anyone can beat anyone in a 2 game tie if you set up correctly. You also need to take in consideration the morale part of the sport. It doesn't fecking matter if you're 3-0 down, if you score one and keep up the pressure you're planting the doubt seed in the opponent's head and we know that smells trouble instantly. If you can get on the pressure "high" it's pretty hard for the opponents to respond. When they do respond we get to see an amazing game (City vs Spurs 2nd leg).

Running helps, having attacking players as well, having players that can stop a ball, deliver a cross, pile up the pressure on the opposition, not bottle it when it matters.

Without sounding like an all knowing pirck, it's not fecking rocket science, is it? Only that Man United are bad at it at the moment.

But the basis is never giving up and leaving 110% out there, something that can't be said about half our squad.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
One team has no choice but to attack and go for it and the other team is scared to lose what they already have
Indeed. Stick or twist is a sizeable component in these games. As the side, still with a decent lead, it'd be foolhardy to be gung ho on the attack, but at the same time, it's not the wisest decision to shell up and try and see out the game by inviting pressure.

I think the teams who can get the goals and then absolutely exasperate the opposing side with composed midfield keep-ball are optimal as they can punish indiscipline, settle their own side down and really taper that enthusiasm and momentum.

debunkology

I don't understand. Yesterday Liverpool, today Tottenham with an amazing 2nd half.

Where does it come from? How do you blow away these leads? Fecking hell.

Someone explain the psychology to me.

I'd be able to explain Liverpool, because they're done it before and they were playing at Anfield. But Tottenham... They're never had the psychological edge over anyone ever. That in itself is a miracle.

passing-wind

It's just home form vs away form. Barcelona beat Liverpool 3 - 0 at home. Liverpool beat them 4 - 0 at home.

Spurs beat City 1 - 0 at home, City beat Spurs 4 - 3. Similar story with Ajax. The away goal etc is what's making these games results.

The reason why we don't have a glimmer of hope with the pendulum swinging in the above manner is because we have had a poor record at home ever since LVG departed. I prefer playing away games to home games, we have been outplayed majority of our home fixtures it's embarrassing.

I actually think having assessed all of our managers, LVG was the best among the crop, his signings were poor and some of the football was tumescent but not as bad as what we are seeing now under Ole / Jose.

Josep Dowling

Forget the teams - this is absolutely wonderful football. Makes me feel like Im in a different realm.
It’s why we watch football. No other sport can provide these sort of twists. The plots this season in the Champions League are unheard of. Or we had the away result to PSG.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It’s why we watch football. No other sport can provide these sort of twists. The plots this season in the Champions League are unheard of. Or we had the away result to PSG.
Apparently the NFL is just as exciting as football.

rpitchfo

Anybody who has played football at any level has either been on the wrong side of a comeback or have comeback to win.

The mental side of its so interesting. when you’re chasing a game your confidence is up and you give 10% extra for every run, every 50/50, the adrenaline keeps you going. It feels like fate is taking over.

When you’re against a team who are coming back at you, you’re second guessing everything, you feel disconnected from your team mates and panic sets in.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
“Football, bloody hell” - Some old Scotsman.
This.

And attitude. For all the talk of "we need talented multimillion pound world class players, not hardworkers" Liverpool and Spurs got there courtesy of goals from Divock Origi, Georginio Wijnaldum and Lucas Moura.