How to use this squad?

Resch

We have great attackers, great defenders, some good, some great midfielders, but how should this team line up, which tactics fit these players?
I do not want to wirte about coaches, managers or Ole. Just about our options, why some formations could work, some should not work. Write YOUR ideas why formations/ line ups work or do not work.
For example ( I would not recommend this one to any manager):
5-3-2 should not be too good, because we do not have a wingback in AWB, maybe Dalot could be an option, but he has not shown anything. But to compensate AWB attacking problems, we could use him as a 2nd DM while attacking and a player like Sancho could work on the right.
Attacking Formation
ST - ST
Telles Fernandes Sancho
McT - AWB
Shaw - Maguire - Verane

Defending Formation
ST
ST Fernandes Sancho
McT
Telles Shaw - Maguire - Verane - AWB

To defend with such a formation, our strikers must work and run. Ronaldo would not be an option. High tempo and high pressing would make Greenwood / Carvani and Rashford the best options.

What's your opinion about this formation, what would be your favorite one and why?

Skills

Snitch
I think people over emphasise the important of formations. A formation is just a static snapshot of where the players are positioned. Teams switch through multiple formations through a game depending on what they're trying to do.

3-4-3, 4-3-3 and a 5-2-3 aren't that different from one another. City/Liverpool famously play a 4-3-3, but often Rodri/Fernandinho/Fabino would drop in between the split CBs.

The transitions are much more important than the static "formation" at any given time. It's where the players are moving at different phases of the game. It's about synergy between different players, so they're executing moves as a group to improve the chance of success but also limit the amount of risk they're taking at the back. It's also about making sure, you're getting your best players in ideal situations to maximise your ability to win a game.

Hughie77

It's a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3. In the latter you can play the normal fit back 4 with Bruno Matic and Fred in a 3 Bruno can play the more defensive role while also coming late from CM to keep the system like for like you put Mctom on Bench to Replace Bruno. Up front in a 3 you've got a few options to start I'd go Rashford Jesse Ronny. Jesse because he will run and do the yrds Ronny can't do so can Rashford, then to keep it like for like Sancho Cavani Martial. I'm not putting pogba in this set up because I don't think he be here.

Imo the 4-3-3 is the better options with the squad we got and play it play it and play it. It's a lot better imo than a 2 in CM that dosent work.

Bwuk

This is the issue. We don’t even have close to a consensus on our strongest side.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If Conte comes in I could see him trying Donny as the 6. Sancho as a wing back? Who knows :lol:

The squad is very attack heavy though. If we go 5 at the back then a one of Pogba, Bruno, Rashford, Ronaldo or Cavani is missing out.

wolvored

If Conte comes in I could see him trying Donny as the 6. Sancho as a wing back? Who knows :lol:

The squad is very attack heavy though. If we go 5 at the back then a one of Pogba, Bruno, Rashford, Ronaldo or Cavani is missing out.
Pogba wont get picked anymore, as hes refusing to sign the contract.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Pogba wont get picked anymore, as hes refusing to sign the contract.
If Zidane came in I could maybe see him signing. But that seems unlikely so yeah I think he’ll be signing somewhere else in January.

Resch

I think people over emphasise the important of formations. A formation is just a static snapshot of where the players are positioned. Teams switch through multiple formations through a game depending on what they're trying to do.

3-4-3, 4-3-3 and a 5-2-3 aren't that different from one another. City/Liverpool famously play a 4-3-3, but often Rodri/Fernandinho/Fabino would drop in between the split CBs.

The transitions are much more important than the static "formation" at any given time. It's where the players are moving at different phases of the game. It's about synergy between different players, so they're executing moves as a group to improve the chance of success but also limit the amount of risk they're taking at the back. It's also about making sure, you're getting your best players in ideal situations to maximise your ability to win a game.
That's true. There is no such thing as A formation. At minimum a team has a formation to defend and another attacking formation. Based on that a team should have strict scenarios how to change their position in certain situations.
So a simple formation is not enough, it is just a starting point. How would a team build up an attack? A 4 4 2 could change into a 3 4 3 or a 3 5 2 while bringing the ball up the pitch and be more like a 2 4 1 3 while pinning the opponent back. Do not forget, which philosophy and tactics a team should use. So many great things to talk about.

House Mkhitaryan

4-3-3/4-2-3-1
https://www.rdftactics.com/post/erik-ten-hag-ajax-tactical-analysis

Not that much different to how we set up now, the players just need to be coached and organized into a proper attacking and defensive/pressing system.

Defense:
AWB Varane Maguire/Lindelof Shaw
(possibly even try McTominay as CB)

2 CM further back:
Some combo of Pogba, Fred, McT, new CM
1 CM attacker:
Donny or Bruno

2 wide forwards:
Bruno, Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford, Martial, Lingard

1 central forward:
Ronaldo or Cavani this season but eventually Greenwood, Rashford and/or Martial

So say a year from now we could set up something like...
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
Ndidi Pogba
Donny
Bruno Greenwood Sancho
(with Rashford or Martial slotting into any of the front 3 and Bruno potentially dropping into where DVdB is)

dal

Rashford—Bruno——Sancho
————VDB——-Mctominay—
Shaw—Varane-Maguire-AWB
——————-De Gea—————-

I think that’s possibly our best team with Ronaldo/Cavani rotating up top and Greenwood/Pogba rotating on the flanks.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Sterling, Mahrez, Grealish,KDB, Foden, Jesus, Torres.
Ronaldo,Rashford,Sancho,Pogba,Bruno,Cavani, Greenwood.

Now tell me how's that they have a balanced squad but we don't? How can they play sexy football but we can't?

For the attackers to shine, we need to dominate games. We never dominate games. We will happily let the opponents have the ball with all these attackers struggling to get a stamp on the game. We end up complaining that they don't defend properly and they aren't chasing their man. The fact is, they aren't creating anything either.Formations doesn't matter. Just coach them to dominate games and create chances.

Lentwood

How about a variation on a 3-4-1-2

That way, we could line-up something like this...

De Gea

Maguire Varane Shaw

Sancho McTominay Fred Rashford

Bruno

Greenwood Ronaldo

Slightly unorthodox, but I feel it would be worth a go, particularly in home games or games against weaker opposition.

With this formation, we can get Greenwood and Ronaldo in the team as forwards. They can either operate as a traditional front two or they could play as 'split' forwards, with Bruno pushing on to be a false 9.

We would then have a really orthodox, old-school flat four in the middle, with Rashford and Sancho responsible for getting up and down the line.

The midfield two would be deliberately unambitious, mainly in the team to shield the back three, and also cover for the winger on their side when they go on the attack.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

I like this post. It’s definitely our issue. Our cohesiveness when transitioning between phases of the game, irrespective of players or formations, is the real issue.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
4-3-3

-----------------------DDG-------------
AWB-----Varane-----Bailly--------Shaw

-----------------------Matic-----------------
--------------Fred/McT----Pogba-------

Sancho----------------------------Rashford
-----------------------Bruno---------------------------

Idea:

- A quick defense that can play a high line
- A holding midfielder, a B2B and Pogba as an AM ie a system similar to what Ole used in his first few months
- Sancho and Rashford bringing width and pace
- Bruno as a false 9 which would help keeping ball possession while creating spaces for Sancho and Rashy to go into defence

If we're not scoring goals then replace Pogba/Bruno with Greenwood, Cavani or Ronaldo

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
De Gea
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
VDB Mctominay Pogba
Bruno
Ronaldo Cavani​

RatPack

Think it could be nice to see an alternative solution to our missing DM

Maybe:
-------------------------------------------De Gea------------------------------------------
Wan Bissaka-----Varane (if fit)------- Maguire (if fit)---------Telles/Shaw
------------------------------------------Lindelof------------------------------------------
-----------------------Van de Beek------------Bruno-----------------------
Sancho-------------------------------Cavani-------------------------------Rashford

And then ask the players to acually run without the ball also and run in defence.

sp_107

Rashford—Bruno——Sancho
————VDB——-Mctominay—
Shaw—Varane-Maguire-AWB
——————-De Gea—————-

I think that’s possibly our best team with Ronaldo/Cavani rotating up top and Greenwood/Pogba rotating on the flanks.

This looks like a better option for now, Replace McTominay with Fred/Matic or a new DM signing then we will be set

sp_107

I have this ffeeling we are really wasting DVB, He is an intelligent footballer can play better than Fred/Pogba/Mc|Tominay given a run of games

Marnsky68

Sterling, Mahrez, Grealish,KDB, Foden, Jesus, Torres.
Ronaldo,Rashford,Sancho,Pogba,Bruno,Cavani, Greenwood.

Now tell me how's that they have a balanced squad but we don't? How can they play sexy football but we can't?

For the attackers to shine, we need to dominate games. We never dominate games. We will happily let the opponents have the ball with all these attackers struggling to get a stamp on the game. We end up complaining that they don't defend properly and they aren't chasing their man. The fact is, they aren't creating anything either.Formations doesn't matter. Just coach them to dominate games and create chances.
Seems Martial is the forgotten man nowadays. Interesting!