How will opposition players & fans treat Ronaldo?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
One for the "oppos" on here.

How do we think our respective teams will treat Ronaldo?

Will the players who grew up idolising him want to absolutely batter him? Will they ask for his shirt at half-time?

Will the match going fans give him pelters or not treat him any differently?

Eplel

I'm sure they will be bitter about him forcing them to respect him.

Not an oppo but what I expect:

Players - most will be in equal parts in awe/terrified of him, especially early in the season. He'll be double or triple marked and our other players will have more freedom. A few Burnley sloggers will probably want to cripple him.

Fans - he will be laid into. He was hated before and he will be hated again, though there will be a grudging respect this time. I could even see applause from some clubs if he has a stormer.

RUCK4444

What I would like to see is respect and I think the GOAT commands that anyway :D

On the pitch I’d like him to attract multiple defenders allowing space for the rest of our forwards.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Fans will relish the opportunity to abuse him and that's fine. Three days ago United fans were preparing to give him dogs abuse when he returned to Old Trafford :nervous:.

There will be a rush at the end of every game by many opposition players to swap shirts though.

King Kay

Supports
Chelsea
Not an oppo but what I expect:

Players - most will be in equal parts in awe/terrified of him, especially early in the season. He'll be double or triple marked and our other players will have more freedom. A few Burnley sloggers will probably want to cripple him.

Fans - he will be laid into. He was hated before and he will be hated again, though there will be a grudging respect this time. I could even see applause from some clubs if he has a stormer.
He's more likely to get boos and Messi GOAT/fake Ronaldo chants than a standing ovation from oppo fans after a great game. This is England. He's no young, upcoming English talent...he's 36yr old already despised Christiano Ronaldo.

WakeAndBeek

He will definitely be the centre of attention in the first few games, so expect boos of his every touch (as we did in the cl games against him), but I think English football fans are pretty much unanimously excited to see him back in the league, even those who hate United.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Mason Mount was/is a big Ronaldo fan. I'll allow him to ask for a shirt swap at the end of our next match with Man United, only if he scores one of these in tribute...

Yagami

Good post resistant
He plays for Manchester United. He could come onto the pitch with puppies, kiss a babies head after scoring and buy everyone in the crowd a hotdog and still be relentlessly abused during games.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Penaldo, flat-track bully etc.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
A few Burnley sloggers will probably want to cripple him.
I can’t find the quote now as I can’t remember which player said it and it was a TV interview, but I have a feeling he played for Portsmouth or maybe Wigan. Anyway as close as I can remember it was:

“The first time I faced him, I spent the week telling myself I was going to kick him hard and get up in his face and make him think twice about coming near me again. The first thing he did was wrong foot me and was 10 metres away from me before I got my balance back. The next thing I had to do was mark him for a corner and that was when I realised he was 6ft 2 and made mostly of concrete and muscle and my plan to intimidate this pretty boy didn’t seem as smart as it had in the build up“.

It stuck with me because I think a lot of people still think he’s a bit of a fancy dandy twinkle toes when in reality he’s as strong as an Ox and has dealt with people trying to intimidate him his entire life.

TheReligion

Abusive
Have you met English people before?
Sadly, the answer to this question is 'yes'.
Feck off with this.

Anyway. It will be interesting as I imagine he will retire after his spell here. This will certainly be his last dance in the big league anyway.

I imagine every single fan will be keen to get a glimpse of him as will opposition players, many of whom will have tried to model much of their game around him and Messi.

It's actually fantastic for the league.

redrobed

He took a pay cut to come to us for the love of the club. He was on 500k a week and we’re only giving him 480k. He’s everything that’s right with football so hopefully oppo fans recognise that and give him the respect he deserves if we want to see change in football. Hustle, Loyalty, Respect.

Chairman Steve

I know a Soton fan who’s gutted he couldn’t have seen Ronaldo play at St.Mary’s this season and will have to travel all the way up to Manchester in the return fixture.

Dion

He'll get treated like Kane/Salah etc. do by players.

Fans will fecking despise him, with good reason. He plays for United and not them.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Fans will relish the opportunity to abuse him and that's fine. Three days ago United fans were preparing to give him dogs abuse when he returned to Old Trafford :nervous:.

There will be a rush at the end of every game by many opposition players to swap shirts though.
You mean United fans like you?
You were an absolute shimmering embarrassment on that thread. :lol:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Dunno about the rest but Pep will greet him with a happy new year.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
"You're just a s**t Ivan Toney....." :lol:

In all seriousness very much doubt he plays vs us but having had the privilege to watch him live when my Uncle still had a united season ticket I am very much looking forward to him smashing goals in against sides I am looking to finish above ;)

Dan_F

He’ll get booed at every opportunity, and probably get the RvP treatment by a lot.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He'll likely take abuse from the stands (because most fans are cnuts) but players won't treat him any different than anyone else during the game, though I imagine there'll be competition for his shirt post game.

SoCross

Ronaldo will make all the young opposition fans support United!