How will our league finish effect Europa League

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Given that the league campaign will now be over before anyone kicks another ball in European competition it got me thinking the other night...

If we were to finish inside the top 4 or even 5th with City's ban being upheld then how would we approach the Europa league in August? We'd have already qualified for the CL in the scenario above so would we go all out to win it do you think? Or would we treat it as a mini pre season for 2020 2021 season given that CL qualication could already be secured?

Red00012

Given that the league campaign will now be over before anyone kicks another ball in European competition it got me thinking the other night...

If we were to finish inside the top 4 or even 5th with City's ban being upheld then how would we approach the Europa league in August? We'd have already qualified for the CL in the scenario above so would we go all out to win it do you think? Or would we treat it as a mini pre season for 2020 2021 season given that CL qualication could already be secured?
We’re already safely through to quarter finals , we obviously go to win it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We’re already safely through to quarter finals , we obviously go to win it.
If we had secured champions league already though you have to monitor the risk v reward.
Would playing extra games give us a strong start to next season or fatigue us?

Bondi77

We are in the FA Cup as well so I would like to think that we try to win every game we play in.

davidmichael

Until we finish the league season we can answer but if we were to finish 5th and City were successful in their appeal then we’d obviously go all out to with Europa so we qualified for a Champions League spot.

I’d imagine we’d use the FA Cup and Europa as a build up to the new season instead of a pre season to avoid burnout through the season too but to be honest I’ve not looked into when games would be played for those competitions.

Brightonian

Discounting the second leg against LASK in which we can play a second string, it's three games to win a major trophy. Of course we go all out.

On top of that, it's likely some of these games might be basically Champions League quality ties. Inter, Shakhtar, Roma, Sevilla all still in it. Why are we even trying to qualify for the CL if we don't take games against these kinds of illustrious European opponents seriously?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Discounting the second leg against LASK in which we can play a second string, it's three games to win a major trophy. Of course we go all out.

On top of that, it's likely some of these games might be basically Champions League quality ties. Inter, Shakhtar, Roma, Sevilla all still in it. Why are we even trying to qualify for the CL if we don't take games against these kinds of illustrious European opponents seriously?
It's 5 games isn't it? I thought LASK was last 32 tie. EL has an extra round than the CL.

Jesse > Messi

It's 5 games isn't it? I thought LASK was last 32 tie. EL has an extra round than the CL.
This was a round of 16 match. There’s a return match against LASK, then it’s 3 games to the final. So 4 in total - Definitely must be favourites for this United surely? I think we go full tilt for more European trophies!! Ole, Ole, Ole

Last edited:

Eli Zee

If we had secured champions league already though you have to monitor the risk v reward.
It’s a trophy we want.... It will be taken seriously, whether we secure CL or not.

Paul_Scholes18

Any news on when it will start again? Feels like there is not enough time to get it over with before next years tournament starts.

el3mel

It's a European trophy. Winning it is a target regardless of our league position.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The value of winning a trophy, especially a European cup won't be lost on Ole. We'll go hard to win it. If we get top 4 and either (or both) FA cup and Europe league, it'll be pretty much the perfect first full season for Ole. A lot to ask for but its possible. And thats in a season where we had no Pogba for 75% of it, Bruno only coming from February on, and youth always developing.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Even if we finish 3rd given that when the Europa League resumes that will be the only tournament we are playing, we will obviously play our best team and take it seriously.

Offside

LASK was a last 16 tie we’d already knocked out Club Brugge. We are in the 1/4 final bar a modern miracle in the second leg from LASK so that’s 3 games to win a major trophy given they are planning 1-leg ties.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
LASK was a last 16 tie we’d already knocked out Club Brugge. We are in the 1/4 final bar a modern miracle in the second leg from LASK so that’s 3 games to win a major trophy given they are planning 1-leg ties.
Right you are. Forgot about the Brugge game. Its been that long since we played.

Offside

I’d imagine we’d use the FA Cup and Europa as a build up to the new season instead of a pre season to avoid burnout through the season too but to be honest I’ve not looked into when games would be played for those competitions.
What :lol:? These games are more important than the league games.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
What :lol:? These games are more important than the league games.
The fa cup is important. The Europa league not so much if we make CL football through the league. If we don't then it becomes vital.

Red00012

Imagine the backlash on here from the Ole haters if we didn’t go for it .

Brightonian

The fa cup is important. The Europa league not so much if we make CL football through the league. If we don't then it becomes vital.
Nonsense. It's a major, prestigious trophy. We're up against Inter, Sevilla, Roma, Shakhtar... Champions League calibre teams. Three games (plus the gimme against LASK) to win it.

Walters_19_MuFc

Ole always talks about how a team like United should be winning silverware. As much as it'd be nice to see the fringe/youth players given a chance, I don't see why we wouldn't go all out to try and win the cup. It'd also be a good test to see where our team is, as there's pretty good in teams in there.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Nonsense. It's a major, prestigious trophy. We're up against Inter, Sevilla, Roma, Shakhtar... Champions League calibre teams. Three games (plus the gimme against LASK) to win it.
If we were doing well this season and comfortably third place...... How serious would we have taken the Europa?

Red00012

Winning the EL would soften the blow a little of what’s going to happen in the PL

Red00012

If we were doing well this season and comfortably third place...... How serious would we have taken the Europa?
We would have been in this position regardless , look at the opposition we’ve faced in EL.

Robertd0803

All out to win considering its a trophy. If we have already got CL qualification all the better as there should be less pressure and it can be treated as a final on its own.

ninjaskill

As people seem agreed that even if we qualify for the CL via the league do you think if we failed to make the CL through the league it would be taken more seriously, the main area of thinking being De Gea starting over Romero, or would Romero play in goal no matter what happened

ColvaleGoa

Barring Injuries I think Ole will go for it. A trophy is a trophy and also the teams that are left in there are no pushovers. Will be good if we can get our act together.

RyRy11

Christ, there’s Ole Outers that moan he hasn’t won a trophy of note and you are debating whether we rest players in a competition we are likely favourites for? Players need to get in the habit of winning trophies.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Because the anthem is different, duh

ATXRedDevil

It's also more prize money to win it. Not a huge amount, if I recall, but it helps, especially in this environment. Doesn't it help with CL seeding, also? Aside from it being another European trophy, which we should always be aiming for, there are other benefits to winning it.

Betson

Only a couple of games max to win it , surely we start acting like we are Manchester United again and try and win everything we can.

It might not be the most glamour our trophy to win but it is still silverware , you would hope both the club and players are ambitious enough to always try and win what they can, especially when it is so few games.

The club needs a winning mentality back again and that has to start somewhere be it Europa league , FA cup etc etc. Lets start filling the trophy cabinet again.

SambaBoy

It would be a great chance to win a trophy without affecting our league position i.e. in terms of there being no need to rest players. I'm sure some teams will be hungrier to win it as they will have more to play for, but for Ole it's a chance to win a first trophy. It would be pretty unforgivable if he didn't go all out to win it regardless.