How will the World Cup affect this summer’s transfer window?...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I appreciate there is a World Cup thread but a different question here.

As we know, ‘it’s hard to do business during a big tournament’. Then we have the ‘Pogba goes to LA for a month’ period where players are on the beach seemingly with the non-instagram functions on their phones turned off. Thing is, with the FA having the bright idea to handicap the PL teams by closing the window before the season starts - that leaves a very small ‘window’ to do deals within the window. Considering most of the money on the market flows from England, the summer will be manic.

I suspect that the market will be on steroids for like 3 weeks from late July to early August.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The premier league wouldn't have had to 'handicap' our sides if our sides didn't faff about waiting till the last minute to do deals, having said that sides will still leave it till the last minute the last minute now is just 3 weeks earlier than before

beingshe7don

It's shocking but I was expecting all the PL teams to go apeshit in this window or atleast tie up deals for players to arrive in the summer. I mean Liverpool have been very active. I can see Madrid going big since Barcelona have gone onto reinforce despite being in a great position to win the league.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The premier league wouldn't have had to 'handicap' our sides if our sides didn't faff about waiting till the last minute to do deals, having said that sides will still leave it till the last minute the last minute now is just 3 weeks earlier than before
That’s ridiculous, I’m sure every team would ideally love to have their business completed early. It isn’t as simple as that.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Same as all the other World Cups. There will be some players involved who will complete deals in May/very early June. The rest will wait until at least they are done with the World Cup to finalize their deals. One player will sign during the World Cup and then for years be held up as proof the we don't have to wait until the WC is done even though it will be a rarity.

charlenefan

That’s ridiculous, I’m sure every team would ideally love to have their business completed early. It isn’t as simple as that.
I don't disagree with any of that but my point remains a fact

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
I don't disagree with any of that but my point remains a fact
Not really. You act as if every deal is last minute and the reality is there are plenty of deals that get done early. That is why we have the same panic every May when one of our rivals signs a player or two or just gets heavily linked to some "done deals"

There are reasons some deals get done late and it's not down to the people running the clubs just sitting around until the last minute.

As you said All this new rule does is change when the last minute occurs. It's not going to change the other reasons deals are done at all points over the window.

charlenefan

Not really. You act as if every deal is last minute and the reality is there are plenty of deals that get done early. That is why we have the same panic every May when one of our rivals signs a player or two or just gets heavily linked to some "done deals"

There are reasons some deals get done late and it's not down to the people running the clubs just sitting around until the last minute.

As you said All this new rule does is change when the last minute occurs. It's not going to change the other reasons deals are done at all points over the window.
That's your interpretation

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
You do realise the premier league clubs voted in favour of the new date for the transfer window yes?

It's not anybody fecking you over.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The window closing before the season starts is beyond stupid for so many reasons, can't believe they went for it. In an ideal world where everyone does the same, sure thing. This way? Madness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You do realise the premier league clubs voted in favour of the new date for the transfer window yes?

It's not anybody fecking you over.
Well that doesn’t make too much difference I think, they have just fecked themselves over then.

Still, with the ‘I will not discuss my future until after the World Cup’ policy, the window, in reality, will be extremely short.

el3mel

Some players will be discovered in the tournament and their price will go. Nothing more than what we have seen previously IMO.

Some clubs will try to seal their transfer in the few weeks after the tournament but most of the business will be done after it.

GimmeAKitKat

Four Brown Fingers
Don't think anything will be different.

Players go on holiday if they know they have the time, they give the "I'm focusing on the world cup" line if they know they have the time.

When they are well aware the deal gets done now or doesn't get done, they aren't going to turn down multi million pound wage rises, massive signing bonuses and agent fees for a week or 2 in LA.

Acole9

Outstanding
Mourinho will be hoping to do the majority if not all our transfer business done before the start of the tournament.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
- Inflated prices: James Rodriguez, Okocha...
- The deals will be done later this summer

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
- Inflated prices: James Rodriguez, Okocha...
- The deals will be done later this summer
Have to remember the window closes 3 weeks earlier in England than everywhere else. Will be a crazy trolley dash after the World Cup.

Number1

Who cares, get Sanchez this window and get an agreement with Griezmann to buy out his contract in the summer and i'll be happy.

AndyJ1985

It shouldn't affect transfers much if we plan for them early and get deals sorted before the WC starts.

Denis79

Whoever stands out this WC will join Real. I would bet on it.