Howe would Eddie do at United?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He's shown himself to be a good manager but could he transform United into a top 4 team?

He doesn't seem to be any worse a manager than someone like De Zerbi.

SER19

With this squad? No better than 4th-7th.

United are a top 4 side, weve been top 4 in 3 out of the last 4 seasons, and 4 out of the last 6. Each manager that achieved that has overachieved with the squad they had. The squad needs a focussed, purposeful rebuild, or the best we can hope for from any manager is a league finish that both ten hag and solskjaer, (and mourinho) achieved. chopping and changing without focus is leading to a more disjointed squad for each successive manager.

GazTheLegend

He's shown himself to be a good manager but could he transform United into a top 4 team?

He doesn't seem to be any worse a manager than someone like De Zerbi.
He's an okay manager, but lets not pretend that all this "improvement" isn't off the back of spending £400m quid. People in the media are acting surprised that Livramento is a good player: he wasn't free. Nor was Anthony Gordon. The two of them cost £100m quid. If they weren't owned by the Saudi's, neither player would be at their club. Nor would Trippier, who was excellent as always yesterday.

Our own problems (Anthony for instance) cost more, and are worse, but lets not make out that this is some sort of miracle that Howe is working. His side SHOULD be good enough to compete at St James Park with us, Liverpool and City. They've sure spent enough.

Shearer etc all gonna wank themselves for days over this result, but it's all blood money so feck them and feck the entire media for just swerving the entire issue. It's unbelievable how much I hate those snivelling fecks now, and anyone that "enjoys" their ascent should be immolated. Happy?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
At the end of the day we do require a winner and I am afraid Howe isn't one....at lease not yet. Neither De Zerbi nor him would be my choice to manage United.

Last edited:

antonyrightfoot

At the end of the day we do require a winner and I am afraid Howe isn't one....at lease not yet. Neither De Zerbi now him would be my choice to manage United.
I prefer a loser like Howe who got Bournemouth to the premier league from league four and made Newcastle play attractive football with the likes of Joelinton and lacselles than serial winner like Ten Hag who spent 400m on overrated former players he managed. Our fans keep turn their noses up on promising and young managers like Howe and players like Gordon and when we play like **** they are blaming the “structure”

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He would be to United what Potter was to Chelsea. No thanks! He just looks good from a distance.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
As Jose MK II. People moaning about his team being a bunch of cnuts and lil bitch playing ugly football. And he wont even get to top 4. "Not United way".

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
What suggests he would do better than Moyes did/would?

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
He's an okay manager, but lets not pretend that all this "improvement" isn't off the back of spending £400m quid. People in the media are acting surprised that Livramento is a good player: he wasn't free. Nor was Anthony Gordon. The two of them cost £100m quid. If they weren't owned by the Saudi's, neither player would be at their club. Nor would Trippier, who was excellent as always yesterday.

Our own problems (Anthony for instance) cost more, and are worse, but lets not make out that this is some sort of miracle that Howe is working. His side SHOULD be good enough to compete at St James Park with us, Liverpool and City. They've sure spent enough.

Shearer etc all gonna wank themselves for days over this result, but it's all blood money so feck them and feck the entire media for just swerving the entire issue. It's unbelievable how much I hate those snivelling fecks now, and anyone that "enjoys" their ascent should be immolated. Happy?
Howe has also improved a lot of the existing squad as well though.

Joelinton was once the joke of the league. Almiron was so bad he had Grealish taking the piss out of him. Longstaff was widely derided on here. Schar was an average CB. Murphy, Willock and Lascelles were Championship quality. Wilson has stepped up a level. Trippier was hardly a blockbuster signing, same for Dan Burn. The money has certainly helped but the core of the squad is pretty similar to the one he took over and there was already a clear improvement before the higher quality players walked through the door.

padzilla

Hipster
Howe's surprise me actually as thought it would be a case of like when Mark Hughes was at City when the takeover happened.

Howe has shown, with the likes of Joelinton, that he's an excellent coach and tactically smart, Ten Hag was supposed to be that for us but for whatever reason it hasn't happened.

Both United and Newcastle have spent a fortune concurrently but Newcastle look to have spent it wisely with a decent set up in place whereas we're spending it terribly and resorting to loaning in substandard last minute deadline day signings to make up numbers.

Von Mistelroum

Terrible. Same as any other manager, but probably a bit worse because he's actually only decent.

He also would never leave a well performing oil club to come to one run by clowns.

Red_toad

Feck Howe, just get Carrick back, give him a good DoF to assist him. He gets good performances out of shite players at Middlesbrough and plays attractive football. Erik seems to want to players he's managed before to implement what he's after and it can all too easily fall to pieces. I'm dreading the Liverpool match :annoyed:

Mainoldo

Well he’d have a better team than he does now. So go figure.

Rojofiam

Feck Howe, just get Carrick back, give him a good DoF to assist him. He gets good performances out of shite players at Middlesbrough and plays attractive football. Erik seems to want to players he's managed before to implement what he's after and it can all too easily fall to pieces. I'm dreading the Liverpool match :annoyed:
Way too early for Carrick, but he's a great future candidate for sure.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I prefer a loser like Howe who got Bournemouth to the premier league from league four and made Newcastle play attractive football with the likes of Joelinton and lacselles than serial winner like Ten Hag who spent 400m on overrated former players he managed. Our fans keep turn their noses up on promising and young managers like Howe and players like Gordon and when we play like **** they are blaming the “structure”
Howe is definitely doing a better job than ETH, right now.
But Howe is not the answer. He'll probably get us 4th place, but I don't see him winning trophies for us.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's a different job managing us.

To succeed at Man United, you need to be a manager capable of turning us into one of the top 5 in the world, like Klopp has done at Liverpool, pep at city, Arteta at Arsenal.

Newcastle can get by for now with good effort and top 4 challenges. That's not enough here, and because that's not enough, it's hard to bring the motivation when your ceiling as a manager in this league is only to be a top 4 competitor. It's a tough fecking league, unfortunately for EtH. You aren't in a league where your resources and player quality are vastly superior to others.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Come on now, he's not just 'okay'. What he's doing at Newcastle is top notch. Setting up the foundation, getting the players to play like that, even some of the new arrivals who've never heard of him, it's only something you see in the most promising managers. At Bournemouth, he was a bit naive, but ever since he joined Newcastle, he has shown a ruthless streak. He is Dark Howe now.

He's top class. They're buying into whatever he's selling. He even plays the kids and they're performing brilliantly. Wake up, smell the roses, he's better than what we've got.

C'est Moi Cantona

You either die an Eddie Howe or live long enough to become the Graham Potter
I'd actually forgotten about Potter.

Him currently not having a job is another very good reason to vote for Ten Hag to stay right now, as you just know he'll be on the list.

wolvored

He would go the same way as the others. A decentish period followed by the usual drivel. Until the regime above the manager changes and the structure is better, it will be rinse and repeat.

Dannn411

Tough to say how he would have done but he's a much better manager than Ten Hag that's for sure. Ten Hag would have blown close to £700m by now if he was at Newcastle. Howe took Newcastle to the CL using largely the squad he met when he joined them.

Brophs

The One and Only
Jason Tindall pacing the touchline at Old Trafford. Bantering SAF off about how much he’s benching.

iKeano

He'd do the same as.any of our last 5 managers... Would get a first season bounce and then be thrown under the bus by overpaid prima Donna's more interested in their bank accounts than breaking a sweat.
The squad is rife with rot and it needs cut out before any manager will succeed long term.

el3mel

He wouldn't have won the league but I'm pretty sure he would have made us play better football than the garbage we have been playing for years.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
He'd get a win against any half decent side away.

Sara125

I quite like what he has done with this Newcastle team. I certainly think he’ll fare better than Ten Hag (not to say he’ll start winning trophies but the footie will defo be better than the dross we serve up now)

Zed 101

I think he would work with what he has rather than trying to fit players that are not right into a system, and I think he would adapt his tactics and formations to make the best of his resources, so I think short term he would do ok, long term not convinced that this squad of worthless shite would not get Pep the sack

M Bison

Supports
York City
He’d start off ok and then we’d see a slump, with fans calling for his head within 18 months and blaming all our problems solely on him.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

How much did he spend on Almiron, Joelinton, Wilson, Schar, Longstaff, and Wilock. Asking for a friend?

Chumpsbechumps

Ah seriously , grow up some of you. Regardless of whether ETH gets sacked , Howe is Moyes 2.0 waiting to happen.

Some of you are so reactionary. What about the spurs or Brighton managers etc.

I don’t know who can manage this sh/t sandwich of a club, but thinking this weeks manager of the moment is the answer is childish hyperbole.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I think he could do well. He's coached Newcastle to play with an intensity United hasn't come close to in a decade.

C'est Moi Cantona

Tough to say how he would have done but he's a much better manager than Ten Hag that's for sure. Ten Hag would have blown close to £700m by now if he was at Newcastle. Howe took Newcastle to the CL using largely the squad he met when he joined them.
You can't say that with absolute certainty at all, both circumstances are very different.`

Does Howe really have much say in who the club signs? Does he have proper guidance from above? Is he forced to keep players he clearly doesn't want? Does he have clarity over where the club is heading? etc.

They're also basically in the same position we are in the CL, are just 2 points ahead of us in the PL, and were well beaten by us when the heat was on in League Cup last season.

I think most people also expected him to be rubbish at Newcastle, which is a good base to start from when you're a capable manager, where as Ten Hag was expected to be a top class manager and have us playing great football straight away, which he clearly hasn't been able to do, so he's now some terrible manager for some.

I'd wager that Howe would have been overwhelmed by the United job very quickly.