I miss Scholes, Keane and Carrick

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Anderson would improve the midfield, Nani would instantly be our best player, Wes Brown would be our best right back. Park would be captain

The players we criticised a lot years ago would be the best players at the club now :lol:

cybertej29

Anderson would improve the midfield, Nani would instantly be our best player, Wes Brown would be our best right back. Park would be captain

The players we criticised a lot years ago would be the best players at the club now :lol:
Tbf, all of these with the possible exception of Anderson, were tier 2 club legends.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
We all miss the glory years. I am certain that having self belief and several trophies under their belt helped along with the squad being miles better than most teams in the league. Our squad just isn’t that good right now and arguably hasn’t been in nearly a decade. We became too reliant on individual talent/brilliance. Mou’s and Ole’d second places finishes deceived us into believing that the squads quality had improved. That wasn’t the case. Just money thrown down the drain.
Think of the young fans coming up or who were pre teens a decade back. Im 35 years old, looking back i have plenty of fond memories.

The culture was different back then, likes of pogba and rashford would have been fecked off long back. Fergie treated beckham ruthlessly even though he gave 100% on the pitch everytime, you don't the cross the manager and survive, even keane can attest to it.

LeVoyageur

Supports
FC Internazionale Milano
Watching us recently and damn do I miss these guys. I miss Keane's crunching, decisive tackling and recovery to then release the ball forward for our attacking players to counter. I miss his drive, his menace and his captaincy.

I miss the way Scholes (our Xavi) would completely dictate the pace of the game and how his passing was predictably outstanding, from penetrative forward passes to cross field hollywood balls to the wings and full backs. Granted his tackling wasn't up to much, but at everything else he was outstanding.

I miss the way Carrick read the game, intercepted passes and was able to calmly control and shield the ball then release a forward pass to a player in a better attacking position.

I miss the fact that we would sign excellent midfielders like Veron and Hargeaves and there would be no guaruantee that they would be good enough to claim a place in our outstanding midfield. I miss that we could nitpick as fans over the relative inadequacies of players like Fletcher and Butt (two players who were both twice as good as anything we have in midfield today) and that these players were under pressure to meet exacting standards of a quality midfield.

Mostly I just miss the days when we had an actual competent midfield with players who could calmly control the pall and execute the basics of finding a correctly placed and paced forward thinking ball to the attacking players. Is this too much to ask as a United fan?
Me too, and i'm saying that as a non Man Utd supporter , just as a football lover

RedRoach

Timely bump of this thread as we continue to look completely incompetent in midfield. We won't move forward as a team until we inject the midfield with some quality. With McFred we have zero hope of turning it around. Neither of these guys should be anywhere near the first 11 (Fred might be useful in some capacity but McTominay is just not very good at football).

Orion.

One of the biggest issues is top players opting to be bit-part options for oil clubs rather than starters at actual big clubs; Gundogan ‘should’ have been United or Liverpool’s best midfielder for the past 6 years, rather than the 4th choice at City. Same can be said for Bernardo and Grealish etc - they’ve been content to be rotation options in KDB’s shadow than be the catalyst that good teams trying to compete with City are built around.

United have been woefully run for almost a decade, but were in for the likes of Gundogan, Grealish and Bernardo before they were hijacked by P£p - it’s a wider problem for the Premier League to address to legitimise the competition again.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Anyone who has followed Manchester United would miss these outstanding players. And I would add Nicky Butt to those and of course Bryan Robson.
It wasn't that long ago when United were capable of over running and dominating midfield like no other team I have either seen before or after.