g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

'I would love it if we beat them' Anniversary

Melville Red

I always felt sorry for Keegan after this.

For someone who was a truly top player, he just didn't have the mentality to be a top manager.
Felt sorry for a scouser? Never, he just made me laugh.
Did we ever get to the bottom of that lay-by incident:confused:

Zen86

That was what a real rivalry looked like. Not the “oh he’s such a great manager” hugging bullshit we see today.

Terrific Tangerine

Supports
Blackpool
That was what a real rivalry looked like. Not the “oh he’s such a great manager” hugging bullshit we see today.
Which is exactly what Keegan should have done.

Take the moral high ground, let your opponent know you're on to them and leave them debating with themselves in a vacuum.

Oranges038

He just cracked, he couldn't handle the pressure, it got to him and his players.

Wonderful moment.

Guv77

Keegan was never the same after this.
one of the best meltdowns.

miked99

I always felt sorry for Keegan after this.

For someone who was a truly top player, he just didn't have the mentality to be a top manager.
I agree. Although he got slated for this, especially from United fans, he was a genuinely nice bloke. A bit too nice to be a manager, I always thought.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Keegan’s raw passion makes ETH look like a human robot with a programmed list of answers about “the process”..

Chipper

Adulterer.
Just looking through that season for them. I'd always gone with bottling, folded under pressure, Fergie mind games narrative.

After all these years I'm only just noticing that Newcastle had a more difficult fixture list in the second half of the season than the first. Maybe the easier fixtures in the first half was a false position of sorts, and things just evened themselves up in the end?

Throughout the season they were simply not very good away from home against decent sides.

For a start they didn't play us at all in the first half of the season. The first one was game 20 and we all know we beat them both times.

They lost away at Liverpool (3rd), Arsenal (5th), Blackburn (7th), West Ham (10th) and drew at Forest (9th). All in the 2nd half of the season.

So it was only 4th, 6th and 8th they didn't play away in the 2nd half of the season out of the top 10. They only won 1 of those games too, vs. eventual 6th place finishers Everton, drawing the other 2.

vs. top 10 away throughout the season = P9 W1 D3 L5

Last edited:

Robertd0803

Just looking through that season for them. I'd always gone with bottling, folded under pressure, Fergie mind games narrative.

After all these years I'm only just noticing that Newcastle had a more difficult fixture list in the second half of the season. Maybe the easier fixtures in the first half was a false position of sorts, and things just evened themselves up in the end?

Throughout the season they were simply not very good away from home against decent sides.

For a start they didn't play us at all in the first half of the season. The first one was game 20 and we all know we beat them both times.

They lost away at Liverpool (3rd), Arsenal (5th), Blackburn (7th), West Ham (10th) and drew at Forest (9th). All in the 2nd half of the season.

So it was only 4th, 6th and 8th they didn't play away in the 2nd half of the season out of the top 10. They only won 1 of those games too, vs. eventual 6th place finishers Everton, drawing the other 2.

vs. top 10 away = P9 W1 D3 L5
I think there was a whole media love fest that they played the best football as well and were routinely blowing teams away that added to your impression as well. Which in fairness is the generally held consensus.

I remember seeing this even as a child and wondering what is Keegan banging on about hes totally lost it :lol:

didz

It's a little known fact that SAF intentionally baited him into that having seen the strategy work in Scotland.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I think there was a whole media love fest that they played the best football as well and were routinely blowing teams away that added to your impression as well. Which in fairness is the generally held consensus.

I remember seeing this even as a child and wondering what is Keegan banging on about hes totally lost it :lol:
Absolutely, the whole 'entertainers' tag that they got given. The media definitely loved them. I too was laughing away :lol:

Actually just looked up their home and away split. Fantastic at home as a whole, a bit ropey away.

Home W17 D1 L1 - best in the league and we know who that defeat was against :devil:
Away W7 D5 L7 - 5th best

Another way of saying what I did earlier - 6 of their 9 hardest away games, plus their hardest home fixture were all in the 2nd half of the season.