Icelandic Earthquakes

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It's just life here, nothing to it :)
I can sort of understand it because she brought me back a bottle of Icelandic Scotch Whisky. I scoffed at it when I saw it. "Icelandic" Scotch Whisky. Bah, what a pile of shite. It couldn't taste nearly as good as our proper, authentic, Scottish whis-holy fecking shit, this is really good.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you must be so drunk all of the time, on good whisky and gin, that you don't mind living on a giant rock of death. Fair play to you!

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
My missus was in Reykjavik last week and she was surprised that everyone was just going about their days like there wasn't this giant sea of burning death stirring below the ground a few miles away from them.

What's the mood like over there right now? I'd be crapping it but I haven't got Viking blood.
For the people of Grindavík and their families it's terrible because they've been evacuated for weeks and have had to rely on their families, kindness of strangers and the government for housing and support. Some businesses have been shut down the entire time and there's an uncertainity over their future, including the Blue Lagoon. Thing is that last time there was an eruption in that volcanic system it erupted frequently for an 80 year period so this is just a part of life now.

For the rest of us it's something cool to look at (it is really cool). Tourist industry loves it and it's a doubled edged sword for the flight industry.

Kristjan

Retired Dictator
I can sort of understand it because she brought me back a bottle of Icelandic Scotch Whisky. I scoffed at it when I saw it. "Icelandic" Scotch Whisky. Bah, what a pile of shite. It couldn't taste nearly as good as our proper, authentic, Scottish whis-holy fecking shit, this is really good.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you must be so drunk all of the time, on good whisky and gin, that you don't mind living on a giant rock of death. Fair play to you!
Whisky, gin, beer. We're good at this shit :lol:

Simbo

Crazy sight, a 4km long erupting fissure. Has now ceased but there's apparently evidence more magma is accumulating below.

Snow

Possibly the first casualty as a result of this. A worker who was working on filling in a crevice that opened up in the streets of Grindavík has gone missing. The crevice is very deep and his tools have been found by divers down below.

Snow

The lava is running towards unfinished protective walls so heavy machinery, light poles and other equipment is going to get hit. The town had been evacuated.

Snow

Am i right in saying the erupting fissure has extended to the other side of this defensive wall they built?
Yeah. You could see on the livestream earlier people very close to the lava saving equipment that was being used building the wall. Then about 30 minutes ago a new fissure opened up about 50m from the town.

Asger

It's terrible, it' going into the town now. Must be devastated for the house owners to see it just live from cameras!

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Was there ever any hope of constructing a protective wall in time or did the new eruption completely blindside the workers?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
god’s wrath for voting out trump.

Snow

I'm planning to visit around April. :lol: You reckon it'll be okay?
Yes it will most likely be OK. It's likely that these eruptions will be happening regularly for some decades. The people of Grindavík need great help, the Blue Lagoon and the nearby hotel might be ruined as well and there's a power plant in danger but in terms of tourism it's fine. These eruptions are slow beasts.

Moby

Dick
Yes it will most likely be OK. It's likely that these eruptions will be happening regularly for some decades. The people of Grindavík need great help, the Blue Lagoon and the nearby hotel might be ruined as well and there's a power plant in danger but in terms of tourism it's fine. These eruptions are slow beasts.
Isn't the blue Lagoon a must visit?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Why is there a town literally next to an active volcano?

Snow

I'll be there for the first time so need to cover all the popular places.
Sky Lagoon in Kópavogur is comparable to Blue Lagoon in terms of having a chilled luxury swim atmosphere and alcoholic drink availability. Remember, the Blue Lagoon isn't any more natural than the swimming pools. Swimming pools are heated and have hot tubs, cold tubs, sauna and steam rooms.

Snow

Why is there a town literally next to an active volcano?
Last eruption was in the 12th century. No one lived there back then. No one thought it was active when it was gradually built. Location is very suitable for fishing and has hot and fresh water so naturally makes for a good living area.

Note, it's not an active volcano. It's several volcanic systems. Volcanos are a bit more predictable.

Moby

Dick
Sky Lagoon in Kópavogur is comparable to Blue Lagoon in terms of having a chilled luxury swim atmosphere and alcoholic drink availability. Remember, the Blue Lagoon isn't any more natural than the swimming pools. Swimming pools are heated and have hot tubs, cold tubs, sauna and steam rooms.
Got it. Thanks.

Asger

Surprise suprise! Another eruption started about two hours ago!

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Surprise suprise! Another eruption started about two hours ago!
who are the locals blaming? the usual snowflake candidates such as global warming or corporate greed? or have they been thorough and done their own research and concluded it’s the fault of the covid jab and trans?