Icelandic Earthquakes

arthurka

Wouldn't say it's a huge problem, well it might be for the Blue Lagoon. But having your house shaking every 30 minutes is a bit of a bummer.

Asger

Last edited:

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Not Finland.

Kristjan

Retired Dictator
Solid data that the magma tunnel has extended to directly below the town of Grindavík so it's possible the eruption might happen in the town or in the sea just outside.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Ground has started to open up all over town. One of the roads into town is ruined.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Has anyone ever considered that, maybe, Iceland doesn't really want a human population living there?

Asger

I would assume that it's not theirs anymore? There is no way people comeback?
I guess its will depend where it will erupt. I played this golf course every year. It was before a lot of cracks "to hell" around the course!

Snow

I would assume that it's not theirs anymore? There is no way people comeback?
It's seemingly unlikely, at least for a good while. There's a rift through town and beneath it is a chasm. A few people, were allowed into town with supervision to get necessities from their homes and during that time the alarm sounded because lethal amounts of gasses were detected so they had to leave immediately.

Even with the best case scenario of the eruption being on the North-East side of Þorbjörn you'd still have lava and gasses come towards the town.

It's not unlikely that these ~3700 people will have lost their homes and the sports club of Grindavík will now be defunct. We'll see. The government has just implemented a 3 year tax that's going to cover the fees for a protective wall that's going to be built around the town and Blue Lagoon. Maybe that will partly solve the problem. In the meantime it will obviously impact a lot of people financially, solution will have to be made for around ~500 children with regards to schooling which is tough because the school infrastructure is already imploding (Iceland currently has the highest population growth in the world).

So a lot of problems that need solving quick, a lot of money needed and a lot of housing which is already the most expensive in the world.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's seemingly unlikely, at least for a good while. There's a rift through town and beneath it is a chasm. A few people, were allowed into town with supervision to get necessities from their homes and during that time the alarm sounded because lethal amounts of gasses were detected so they had to leave immediately.

Even with the best case scenario of the eruption being on the North-East side of Þorbjörn you'd still have lava and gasses come towards the town.

It's not unlikely that these ~3700 people will have lost their homes and the sports club of Grindavík will now be defunct. We'll see. The government has just implemented a 3 year tax that's going to cover the fees for a protective wall that's going to be built around the town and Blue Lagoon. Maybe that will partly solve the problem. In the meantime it will obviously impact a lot of people financially, solution will have to be made for around ~500 children with regards to schooling which is tough because the school infrastructure is already imploding (Iceland currently has the highest population growth in the world).

So a lot of problems that need solving quick, a lot of money needed and a lot of housing which is already the most expensive in the world.
Why is housing expensive in Iceland?

Snow

Why is housing expensive in Iceland?
More materials needed for housing as they need to withstand the elements and earthquakes. More safety regulations than average to comply with. It's an island that has to import everything so more expensive materials. Plot of land is very expensive. Salaries are the highest in the world for untrained labourers.

Snow

I can walk outside in the middle of Reykjavík and see the eruption.

Reportedly it's reaching 150m in height.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
My missus was in Reykjavik last week and she was surprised that everyone was just going about their days like there wasn't this giant sea of burning death stirring below the ground a few miles away from them.

What's the mood like over there right now? I'd be crapping it but I haven't got Viking blood.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
My missus was in Reykjavik last week and she was surprised that everyone was just going about their days like there wasn't this giant sea of burning death stirring below the ground a few miles away from them.

What's the mood like over there right now? I'd be crapping it but I haven't got Viking blood.
That’s just business as usual in Iceland. It’s not like they aren’t constantly reminded about the sea of burning death just beneath them. The clue is in the lakes and streams where water is literally boiling.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
That’s just business as usual in Iceland. It’s not like they aren’t constantly reminded about the sea of burning death just beneath them. The clue is in the lakes and streams where water is literally boiling.
Yeah but that's hot water - it would just remind me of a lovely cup of tea.

FireballXL5

Last thing I'd want to do would be to fly over that lake of certain death in a helicopter.

Kristjan

Retired Dictator

It's just life here, nothing to it :)