Icelandic Thunderclap

podurban2

No they shouldn't... However, the chant is not that original at all. My Swedish team has done the exact same thing for years but with the letters D-I-F which starts slowly and then goes quicker towards the end. Don't know if it exists elsewhere or if Iceland copied our chant. U-NI-TED would work but still kinda cringy to copy it straight after the Euros.

Edit (look from 1:00)
:

Last edited:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It's brilliant.

But I hope we leave it alone and let the Iceland fans have it to themselves.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
They started doing it at the Cricket yesterday so you can bet your bottom dollar everyone in the Premier League will be doing it next year, that and the Will Grigg chant. Some things are better left alone IMO.

Deleted member 101472

I think you'll find they all stole it from the end of the film cool runnings

OzKangarooney

My local A-league the Western Sydney Wanderers do it aswell, except the say West when they clap. Being a club founded in 2012 we basically copied a few things from other teams that the guys who run our active support liked so there must be a few clubs that do it.

podurban2

My local A-league the Western Sydney Wanderers do it aswell, except the say West when they clap. Being a club founded in 2012 we basically copied a few things from other teams that the guys who run our active support liked so there must be a few clubs that do it.
Yep, probably a pretty common chant among smaller clubs. Definitely not founded in 2014 by Motherwell. My team has done it since at least 2012, but I doubt we came up with it.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
Hate clubs adopting these things as a fad. Citeh fans doing the Poznan was always cringey as feck.

The Icelandic campaign has been great, genuine passion from the fans and players which inspires each other. Can't quite see many of our visitors to OT showing that same passion so I can imagine this would look and sound awful if we tried to copy them.

DimitriusFalcao

There's something very intimidating and aggressive about it, the sort of thing I could picture a neo-Nazi group doing.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I reckon the chant woke up some latent trauma inherited through generations for the English players. That sound used to mean people that were up to no good was coming ashore.

The original chant involves swords being hammered against shields, but for practical purposes I can see that this is hard to pull off.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Republic of Ireland fans have been doing this for years
Was brilliant when I was in Lille. We took over a roundabout in the centre of town and some fella with a drum was half way up a statue starting them.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)

Anyone noticed the hungarians this tournament? They had some really weird noises going on in their crowd. Here's a takeover in Marseille.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Was brilliant when I was in Lille. We took over a roundabout in the centre of town and some fella with a drum was half way up a statue starting them.
By the Tir Na Nog I'd say dude, if it was day of Italy game. Epic day.

Lennon7

By the Tir Na Nog I'd say dude, if it was day of Italy game. Epic day.
It was the day of the Italy game yeah, but I'm not entirely sure where it was! We hung around the Gare de Flandres for a bit where it was absolutely heaving, then wandered over to the other side of town where there was hundreds of Irish fans on a roundabout, booting a football about and chanting. Was an amazing atmosphere!

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
It was the day of the Italy game yeah, but I'm not entirely sure where it was! We hung around the Gare de Flandres for a bit where it was absolutely heaving, then wandered over to the other side of town where there was hundreds of Irish fans on a roundabout, booting a football about and chanting. Was an amazing atmosphere!
Ya Flanders was the metro stop, then a 15 minute walk to the roundabout by Tir Na Nog where all the Irish were. It was unreal craic all the same.

Lennon7

Ya Flanders was the metro stop, then a 15 minute walk to the roundabout by Tir Na Nog where all the Irish were. It was unreal craic all the same.
The whole town was full with Irish, it was class. What was great was the Italians getting involved with the thunderclaps and booting the footballs, too.

Asger

my home team back in Iceland started to do this in Iceland 2 years ago. Much better version than from the Iceland national supporters!

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
The whole town was full with Irish, it was class. What was great was the Italians getting involved with the thunderclaps and booting the footballs, too.
Ya it seemed it when on way to the stadium, we were down by the roundabout early enough so missed a lot of the stuff around the water fountain. Balls kicked everywhere, tour bus jumped on, Dermot and Daves van also jumped on - sun stroke all round. Pre game we needed no booze to be up for it!!

Didn't chat to or see too many Italians I must admit. Belgians were great craic altogether though - well up for it. Swedes were also very nice, but a bit more reserved in their nature.

But ya, the thunderclap we did was decent enough at the Italian game, but Icelands is like military precision.

Jammydodger7

Ya it seemed it when on way to the stadium, we were down by the roundabout early enough so missed a lot of the stuff around the water fountain. Balls kicked everywhere, tour bus jumped on, Dermot and Daves van also jumped on - sun stroke all round. Pre game we needed no booze to be up for it!!

Didn't chat to or see too many Italians I must admit. Belgians were great craic altogether though - well up for it. Swedes were also very nice, but a bit more reserved in their nature.

But ya, the thunderclap we did was decent enough at the Italian game, but Icelands is like military precision.
I must have walked half of Lille that day looking for a cold cider! The heat was unreal!

John Blund

I love the clapping. It sorta reminds me of the war-chant that black (no rasism!) rugby-team from down-under. Googlet it. Haka - New Zealand.
It looks ridiculous, I find it funny, yet somehow it still gives me chills.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I must have walked half of Lille that day looking for a cold cider! The heat was unreal!
Cider was a bloody disaster in France, bar the Irish pubs were it was usually €7 a pint. Found it in offys alright, 75cl for €2.58. Result! Not cold though as it was on the self with the wines. Actually drink and food was a balls in Lille, especially after the feckin game.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The only thing I wish we would adopt is chanting the player's surname when he scores. That is the only continental thing I envy. The Icelandic clap is cool as feck but it's not cool to be swiping things from other clubs.

Maxii

Paad
Does anyone know the chant the Belgians had? We were outside a pub in Bordeaux with loads of them and the chant was going on for about half an hour. Was epic! They looked great at the other side of the stadium when they beat Ireland too.

Maxii

Paad
Cider was a bloody disaster in France, bar the Irish pubs were it was usually €7 a pint. Found it in offys alright, 75cl for €2.58. Result! Not cold though as it was on the self with the wines. Actually drink and food was a balls in Lille, especially after the feckin game.
Yeah, was a big downer getting back to the city after the Italy game and everywhere was closed. We should have went the offo before the game and stashed our cans! Outside Tir Na Nog was some craic the night before though.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Yeah, was a big downer getting back to the city after the Italy game and everywhere was closed. We should have went the offo before the game and stashed our cans! Outside Tir Na Nog was some craic the night before though.
We travelled up to Lille from Amiens very early the day of the game, so ya we weren't one of the smart groups who bought shite for after the game! were ye on the metros to the stadium that the carriage was effectively bouncing up and down on the tracks? Some buzz on it!!!!

Maxii

Paad
We travelled up to Lille from Amiens very early the day of the game, so ya we weren't one of the smart groups who bought shite for after the game! were ye on the metros to the stadium that the carriage was effectively bouncing up and down on the tracks? Some buzz on it!!!!
We were running a bit late and there was a huge queue to even get to the ticket machine so we had to bail and get a taxi instead. I was also close to death with a hangover so I couldn't handle the heat with all the people around me in the station :lol:. Thankfully it died down when I got to the game. Don't think I'll ever top a live game like that again!

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
my home team back in Iceland started to do this in Iceland 2 years ago. Much better version than from the Iceland national supporters!
On that note, your team has stolen a lot of chants from my team but that's hardly surprising given that it's been the only team doing chants for years.

Asger

On that note, your team has stolen a lot of chants from my team but that's hardly surprising given that it's been the only team doing chants for years.
Which one?? And from KR?