Ideal starting XI

Stevondo8

Just a bit of fun. If you were manager, what would your first choice xi and formation be?

Mine, probably something like…

DDG
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
Fred
Bruno VDB
Greenwood Rashford
Ronaldo

I personally don’t rate Pogba, and have never really seen much of Sancho prior to UTD days so can’t really comment on him too much. I can see the potential, just not watched him enough with my own eyes. If Matic was 5 years younger, would stick him in ahead of Fred, but as it stands today, Fred has the legs to get around the pitch more, not that I really trust him as a DM. VDB basically in because I don’t like Pogba.

Tear to shreds, but provide your own line up also.

ETA - I may have had a few beers so thought processes might not be the best

Last edited:

sp_107

Sancho in place of Greenwood, our team need wing play. Rest is good....Its so pain to see Pogba taking minutes from players like VDB

Bwuk

Fred as a lone 6 is asking for trouble. His touch is far too poor to let him drop and receive the ball from GK.

How many times has he lost the ball deep in midfield and resulted in a goal. He’s a 8 not a 6. Matic is the only real 6 in the squad.

Stevondo8

Fred as a lone 6 is asking for trouble. His touch is far too poor to let him drop and receive the ball from GK.

How many times has he lost the ball deep in midfield and resulted in a goal. He’s a 8 not a 6. Matic is the only real 6 in the squad.
Agree, but I just don’t think Matic has the legs in him for that role, whilst Fred does (although as I say in op, I don’t trust him in that role)

Stevondo8

Sancho in place of Greenwood, our team need wing play. Rest is good....Its so pain to see Pogba taking minutes from players like VDB
Wouldn’t disagree about Sancho>Greenwood, I’ve just not watched him enough myself.

NoPace

Probably this:

Cristiano---Greenwood--------------
----------------Bruno-------------Sancho
Shaw----VDB----McTominay-------
--------Lindelof---Varane----AWB---

with the idea being Shaw and Sancho attack wide with the front 2 and Bruno and VDB's job is to link play since we have trouble building up play, but obviously we need to replace McTominay and AWB with players who can pass the ball.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Probably this:

with the idea being Shaw and Sancho attack wide with the front 2 and Bruno and VDB's job is to link play since we have trouble building up play, but obviously we need to replace McTominay and AWB with players who can pass the ball.
This is one of the best takes I've seen here. Thoughtful and realistic formation with an idea of how it's supposed to work out. A whole lot of Fifa formations floating about.

I do disagree about some selections though or rather this is what I see Ole opt for:

Maguire > Lindelöf
Fred/Pogba > VdB
Greenwood/Rashford > Sancho
Cavani > Greenwood

You can only do so much with this set of players but what I would have liked to see is a "4-1-4-1". Peps Bayern utilised Xabi Alonso as a lone DM that would drop back as a cb pushing the other cb wide and allowing Alaba and Lahm to bomb up the flanks. Build up became amazing as Quarterback Alonso got time and could pick passes at will. A 4-3-3 transitioning to a 3-5-2 at will. Carrick could have done it but in this team I'm not sure anyone has the attributes needed. Imagine Pogbas passing with the amount of time at the back, shame that's not an option.

EtH

Ronaldo-Greenwood-Sancho
———————Bruno
—————Fred——DvB
Shaw—Varane-Lindelof—AWB
—————Henderson

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I like the lad above mines one.

Kind of experimental job :

Ronaldo Cavani
Rashford
Telles Fernandes McTom AWB
Lindelof Bailly Varane
DDG

Drop Shaw and sell Pogba 100%. Rest Maguire until he remembers how to play football.

If we start to lose then bring in Sancho/Greenwood for the WBs and move em further up the pitch.

Trequarista10

Probably this:

I like the non symmetrical setup. I think with Shaw pushing on and Ronaldo as a left forward, you would need Fred or Matic at LCM to cover for them though, move VdB to RCM, with AWB covering when he pushes forward.

Daengophile

We'd be better having 5 goalkeepers and 6 attackers.

Be fewer mistakes in the middle

Moby

Dick
Just a bit of fun. If you were manager, what would your first choice xi and formation be?

Mine, probably something like…

DDG
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
Fred
Bruno VDB
Greenwood Rashford
Ronaldo

I personally don’t rate Pogba, and have never really seen much of Sancho prior to UTD days so can’t really comment on him too much. I can see the potential, just not watched him enough with my own eyes. If Matic was 5 years younger, would stick him in ahead of Fred, but as it stands today, Fred has the legs to get around the pitch more, not that I really trust him as a DM. VDB basically in because I don’t like Pogba.

Tear to shreds, but provide your own line up also.

ETA - I may have had a few beers so thought processes might not be the best
I like it. Looks much better than the 352 for us.

dal

——————Ronaldo———————
Rashford—————————Sancho
————————Bruno———————
———VDB—————Mctominay—
Shaw—Varane—Maguire——AWB
——————-Henderson——————

I would play that consistently and play Bruno a lot deeper and give some of his responsibility to Sancho.

We must realise that our defence have been our problems I feel we will get considerably better as our defence wakes up and it’s up to Maguire now. Attacking wise we have been inconsistent and disjointed because of our defence it’s building a nervousness throughout the team once this improves so will we.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
If I was Ole, I'd just copy Didier Deschamps. In my opinion, it's the only way to fit Pogba, Bruno and Ronaldo in the same team, with each player having a position that suits them.
DDG
AWB-Maguire-Varane-Shaw-Telles (Ideally Shaw would be LB, AWB would be RCB, but you guys really lack a left-footed cb and a good RWB)
McT - Pogba
VdB (defends in a midfield 3, like Griezmann does)
Ronaldo-Bruno

VdB and Bruno are smart enough to know when they should run in behind and when they should facilitate attacks. Ronaldo would do what he does best and occupy CB. Pogba would be in acres of space to control games like he does for France.

NoPace

This is one of the best takes I've seen here. Thoughtful and realistic formation with an idea of how it's supposed to work out. A whole lot of Fifa formations floating about.

I do disagree about some selections though or rather this is what I see Ole opt for:

Maguire > Lindelöf
Fred/Pogba > VdB
Greenwood/Rashford > Sancho
Cavani > Greenwood

You can only do so much with this set of players but what I would have liked to see is a "4-1-4-1". Peps Bayern utilised Xabi Alonso as a lone DM that would drop back as a cb pushing the other cb wide and allowing Alaba and Lahm to bomb up the flanks. Build up became amazing as Quarterback Alonso got time and could pick passes at will. A 4-3-3 transitioning to a 3-5-2 at will. Carrick could have done it but in this team I'm not sure anyone has the attributes needed. Imagine Pogbas passing with the amount of time at the back, shame that's not an option.
It just seems like every 2nd manager now says they" play 5 in the attacking phase" with one being the most attacking fullback. Spinazzola's strong start at the Euros seemed to solidify/popularize it as a concept.

I don't really disagree with any of your choices, they all seem about the same level at the moment, except I think if we're looking at our RW providing width opposite Shaw it has to be Sancho since Rashford and Greenwood don't look as comfortable out wide and can't stretch play the same way.

Laurencio

Well it depends. When we are expected to dominate I'd like to see something like:

De Gea/Henderson
AWB - Varane - Bailly - Shaw
Pogba/VdB - McT
Sancho - Bruno - Rashford/Lingard
Ronaldo​

I find it infuriating that we keep playing a winger that cuts inwards on the right, and never play a midfielder to cover for Shaw when he goes up. It's just naive at this point. Lingard's work rate would be good to have if McT misses an interception, but not vital - so we can afford a winger that cuts inside to cause disruption in the defence when Shaw moves up. If it does prove to be a problem, sub him on. With a proper support structure around him I think Pogba could do a lot better. With AWB and Varane in constant support behind and to his side, and Sancho's versatile movements ahead of him, I think we set him up for success. On our left flank our team simply isn't made to make up for his deficiencies. If he doesn't perform put VdB there so he can drive the ball through the half-spaces - creating an overload down the right which an inside forward like Rashford can take advantage of - or even a bombing left back like Shaw. If we do play Maguire, he should play on the right with AWB, not on the left with Shaw.

When we're up against it I'd like to see:

De Gea/Henderson
AWB/Dalot - Maguire/Lindelof - Varane - Bailly - Shaw/Telles
Matic
Bruno - McT
Cavani - Ronaldo​

Maguire is too slow to cover for Shaw, so don't make him do that. It leaves him in all kinds of trouble. Right now he probably should be benched. Matic isn't mobile enough to be the #6 in a more aggressive formation, but he can do a very good job at recycling position and anchoring the midfield when we're up against it. Bruno should play ahead of Pogba any day of the week, especially given how well he operates with Ronaldo, and McT is the best hard working midfielder we have. Fred runs around a lot, but he is a liability on the counter and loses the ball in key attacking moments. He's an excellent option when you need to win the ball further up the pitch, but as a defensive midfield anchor he's simply too erratic. Cavani and Ronaldo are the most efficient finishers we have and should be relied upon in big games where we need to put away our chances. If AWB can't get the counter-attack right, replace him with Dalot.

reddevilz007

Henderson
Dalot Bailly Varane Shaw
Matic VDB
Sancho Lingard
Cavani
Ronaldo

Sancho, Cavani and Lingard offer more than Bruno, Rashford and Greenwood in terms of creativity and defending.
Bruno has been overly used and ineffective for most part of the recent games.
As seen against Atalanta, Bailly can cover a lot of ground, and would allow Dalot to bombard more on the right wing. This in turn will allow Sancho to cut in more.
The Cavani-Ronaldo duo can be our Muller-Lewa.

With this starting XI, there is a greater balance of creativity, width, collective forward possession and collective defending / pressing. We would rely less on counter-attacking football and individual brilliances.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I feel Ronaldo needs a partner and his best partner would be Cavani.

Longlivekeano

————————-DdG——————

——Lindelof—Varane—Shaw—

-aWb———McTom——————-

—————VdB————Bruno——

—Greenwood—————Ronaldo-

———————-Cavani—————-

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
It just seems like every 2nd manager now says they" play 5 in the attacking phase" with one being the most attacking fullback. Spinazzola's strong start at the Euros seemed to solidify/popularize it as a concept.

I don't really disagree with any of your choices, they all seem about the same level at the moment, except I think if we're looking at our RW providing width opposite Shaw it has to be Sancho since Rashford and Greenwood don't look as comfortable out wide and can't stretch play the same way.
They weren't really my choices, it's the way I reckon Ole would reason. But never mind, as you say several are pick 'em.

And I don't believe it's necessarily anything new, it's just that there are few players that can provide what Spinnazola did. It's rather popular to play one "cb" out wide if you have a wb with attacking threat. Also helpful when defending set pieces. Of the top of my head (give or take a year)

France 2000
Lizarazu - lwb
Thuram - rb

Ac Milan 2003
Maldini - lb
Cafú/Zambrotta - rwb

Barcelona 2008
Abidal - lb
Dani Alves - rwb

Chelsea 2010
Ashley Cole - lwb
Ivanovic - rb

Bayern 2020
Davies - lwb
Pavard - rb

Valencia Shin Crosses

DDG
AWB Bailly Varane Shaw
Sancho Fred DVB Bruno
Ronaldo Cavani

Defend with 2 blocks of 4 off the ball. Having 4 in midfield helps with structure and Maguire comes out for Bailly who can play aggressive knowing Varane is there to sweep up behind him. In possession you get creative width with Sancho and Cavani and Ronaldo will both roam. VdB also gets a central position as the more attacking of the two CM's with Fred behind. Team would play similar to the side we put out at Spurs except a bit more width. Also think you could have Lingard in for Sancho if you wanted more defensive work rate but Sancho can do a job there and adds more class on the ball.

Don't see many other set ups we could have that work well with the personnel and coaching we have. You have to set up in order to defend well without pressing constantly (because we suck at it) and I think Ronaldo and Cavani is the best partnership we have up top.

Stig

Probably this:

I love the idea of not having goalkeeper. Really make the defenders work or is it rush goalie ?

The Urban Goose

I'd bitch and moan about the unbalanced squad my predecessor left me until I got a CDM in, and Pogba & Martial were sold. Then I'd go 4-5-1 with the obvious. (DDG, Shaw, AWB, Varane, Maguire/Bailly/Lindelof based on form, McT/Fred, new CDM, Rash/Sancho, Greenwood/Sancho, Bruno/Donny, Ronaldo/Cavani).

Andersons Dietician

DDG
Bissaka —Lindelof —Varane —-Shaw
Matic
Bruno——-VDB
Greenwood-Ronaldo-Sancho
Kinda went with Matic as on his day we probably don’t have anyone better there. Don’t have an issue with Fred or McT just don’t think it’s a position that suits them. To be honest I’d really want to play Cavani as my number 9 but fecking Ronaldo lads.

Longshanks

Given the options in the current squad I would go

Henderson
A.W.B Varane Maguire Shaw
Mctom
Bruno V.D.B
Sancho Ronaldo Rashford
There is a very strong case for Greenwood to come in for either sancho or rashford and it would be form and fitness dependent. And on current form I think I would take maguire out of the firing line and replace with bailly or possibly lindelof.

Bruno and v.d.b to play as attacking 8's but have to get back and support to defence when required and hold there positions to help us more in transition and build up.

Full backs encouraged to overlap with rashford sancho taking a step inside the number 8s encouraged to underlap to create overloads where possible.

Press high with a high defensive line, henderson to play as sweeper keeper to help defensive hold its high line.

Mctom to step back into defensive line and the cbs to split when attacking.

Chief123

I would have Sancho and VDB in the lineup no matter how many games it takes for them to settle. We need someone who is comfortable on the ball from midfield to connect back to front. Sancho has the quality and needs to be fitted in no matter what.

sp_107

I would have Sancho and VDB in the lineup no matter how many games it takes for them to settle. We need someone who is comfortable on the ball from midfield to connect back to front. Sancho has the quality and needs to be fitted in no matter what.
I really want this too, tehy both are very technical players controls ball well..We need more of them in this team. I am puzzled why Ole is not taking chances with both of them

Bertie Wooster

There's many possible options. All with strengths and weaknesses. I recognise the increased solidity that McFred currently brings us against tough opponents but I also think it's a limited and defensive tactic that, in an 'ideal starting XI', we need to find a better solution than if we're to win major trophies.

I'd obviously prefer us to sign a much better DM than Matic, but I'd probably go with a diamond 4-4-2 (with 4-3-3 as an alternative and McFred in for the toughest games).

De Gea

AWB
Varane
Maguire
Shaw

Matic
Fred / VDB
Pogba
Fernandes

Ronaldo / Cavani
Rashford / Greenwood

cyril C

The Spurs team sheet is probably our Ground Zero 11. The fact that we were at our bottom, and with 1 week of resting, Ole could started with his most trusted 11. But this GZ 11 cannot be trusted week in week out, because of age, and because of tactical needs. IF and WHEN ready, Sancho, Greenwood, and perhaps Martial, VDB, Bailly, need to be eased in. Pogba - I have given up.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The individual form of players right now wouldn’t hugely factor in my thinking. The organisation and coaching is lacking and many players look terrible but we know they aren’t. Fitness permitting I would like up with:

Henderson; AWB, Maguire, Varane, Shaw; McTominay, Van der Beek, Fernandes; Rashford, Sancho, Ronaldo

Henderson gets the nod for his sweeper keeper abilities, meaning we can play a higher line. Maguire is struggling right now but is ultimately class. Bruno would play a lot deeper and we’d made use of his work rate.