If Arteta gets sacked, should we sign him as Assistant Manager?

Marcus

I mean after all, it seems like Pep's Man City Team seemed a bit less potent after Arteta left. Maybe he has the Brian Kidd kind of personality. Good as a number 2 but not as a number 1. Crazy idea or not bad?

matt23

He has too much experience to be on our coaching team.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I mean after all, it seems like Pep's Man City Team seemed a bit less potent after Arteta left. Maybe he has the Brian Kidd kind of personality. Good as a number 2 but not as a number 1. Crazy idea or not bad?
I don't think you'd be able to convince him to go back to an assistant role, plus he's been involved with 2 big rivals, it's unlikely. I think the reality is we, as fans, will never truly know how good assistant managers are and what they provide to the to the team.

desirere

Depends, I think we do need more coaching in our play but it all depends on what Ole wants and what Arteta would want after this job. After all, taking the number 2 spot after failing at your first attempt is kind of like conceding.

If he can come in with a Queiroz kind of effect that would be beneficial to all parties involved but I'm sure if Ole was thinking about this, someone would have already been appointed.

AshRK

Elite manager as the assistant. That's an insult to a "top 6 PL manager"

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
An interesting choice but i'm not 100% convinced he would be suitable

Gabagoo

Nooooo, because Carrick and Mckenna are sooooo much better :rolleyes:

Marcus

I wish we had somebody who could coach us to be as shit as Arsenal.
Not Coach us. Assistant Coach us to be as effective as City used to be.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The idea isn't crazy and I still don't undestand why that kind of things are normal in most sports but kind of taboo in football. Some coaches are not meant to be in charge, they are a high level assistant managers or first team coaches but subpar managers. In Rugby you often see assistants that are more accomplished than the head coach/general manager but then Rugby has gone the specialized road where an assistant coach is actually working and influencing training methods, tactics and even recruitment.

But to answer your question, what makes you think that Arteta is good at something?

RashyForPM

Of course I would. At this moment in time, what do McKenna and Carrick really do? Arteta has worked under Pep as assistant and City have declined since he left. Of course it can’t be a perfect correlation but it is perfectly fine reasoning to suggest that him leaving played a part in City getting worse.

GazTheLegend

It would be hilarious but I don't see it happening of course.

He's a clever man but will he really be able to go back to being number two after getting a taste of life as the main man? If (and a big if) they do bite the bullet and sack him?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Kidd worked under Busby, SAF, Warnock and Pep as well coaching and managing at various levels before residing at City. To say he’s paid his dues is an understatement.

Arteta has gone from being an assistant at City to one of the world’s most coveted jobs. There is no comparison. He may be a good coach one day but he’s so out of his depth at a club with huge expectations. I doubt he’d want to be back as number 2 somewhere and I wouldn’t want him at Utd

Inigo Montoya

Of course I would. At this moment in time, what do McKenna and Carrick really do? Arteta has worked under Pep as assistant and City have declined since he left. Of course it can’t be a perfect correlation but it is perfectly fine reasoning to suggest that him leaving played a part in City getting worse.
That’s a leap! So the fact of poor recruiting especially for defenders, not replacing an ageing Aguero or a leader to replace Kompany, not adapting to a resurgent Liverpool are all because Arteta left?

acnumber9

City had started their drop off before Arteta moved on so I don’t see the correlation. No thanks.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Shall we offer Lampard a job when he gets the sack as well?

RashyForPM

That’s a leap! So the fact of poor recruiting especially for defenders, not replacing an ageing Aguero or a leader to replace Kompany, not adapting to a resurgent Liverpool are all because Arteta left?
Firstly, you can’t categorically say that all these things aren’t because Arteta and his ideas went out the door last year as well. He could have easily helped Pep for the better. Also, according to Pep, Arteta was a brilliant motivator for the players. Phelan can be the cone man who pops balloons in his shorts, but McKenna and Carrick, placid as they are, wouldn’t be able to motivate their way out of a paper bag.
Here we go again :lol:
Seriously, what do they do? Last time, Queiroz scouted players, nurtured new signings and acted as a motivator, Meulensteen and Phelan would organise training sessions, Kidd likewise, and further back, Jimmy Murphy was a father figure to the Busby Babes due to his brilliant acumen of working with young footballers. Trawl through the history of all our assistant managers back to Murphy, and I can somewhat explain what their role was. Can’t with these guys.

Inigo Montoya

Firstly, you can’t categorically say that all these things aren’t because Arteta and his ideas went out the door last year as well. He could have easily helped Pep for the better. Also, according to Pep, Arteta was a brilliant motivator for the players. Phelan can be the cone man who pops balloons in his shorts, but McKenna and Carrick, placid as they are, wouldn’t be able to motivate their way out of a paper bag.

Seriously, what do they do? Last time, Queiroz scouted players, nurtured new signings and acted as a motivator, Meulensteen and Phelan would organise training sessions, Kidd likewise, and further back, Jimmy Murphy was a father figure to the Busby Babes due to his brilliant acumen of working with young footballers. Trawl through the history of all our assistant managers back to Murphy, and I can somewhat explain what their role was. Can’t with these guys.
Your post is pure conjecture. On one side you put a case for Arteta being this motivational genius who is responsible for all City’s success and yet he can’t motivate the tea lady right now at Arsenal. Yet Carrick and McKenna, who was brilliant at Southampton incidentally, are now insipid back room figures. There really isn’t any evidence to support either claim but you seem to think Arteta would make a good second in charge here! It’s laughable but good luck pushing his case.

Ain’t going to happen

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
The idea isn't crazy and I still don't undestand why that kind of things are normal in most sports but kind of taboo in football. Some coaches are not meant to be in charge, they are a high level assistant managers or first team coaches but subpar managers. In Rugby you often see assistants that are more accomplished than the head coach/general manager but then Rugby has gone the specialized road where an assistant coach is actually working and influencing training methods, tactics and even recruitment.

But to answer your question, what makes you think that Arteta is good at something?
I would assume its just words of praise from people whove worked with him.

lex talionis

Not a criminally bad idea, but no. Arteta has surely gained valuable experience from this ordeal, but joining United as Ole’s assistant wouldn’t go down well with the players or the fans. So no.

Machine Elements

Yeah because I'm sure he'd love to be a no 2 under an incompetent manager as ours and waiting the offer on the phone.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

I'm only laughing because we had on here for half a decade a thread titled "What does Phelan actually do"

I assume he's some sort of football coach.

Also... None of our ex players called Queiroz a motivator. I'm pretty sure Evra said he's a horrible person to be stuck in a room with as he has no personality. Roy Keane obviously ... Not a fan. RVN hated him too at the end didn't he?

el3mel

Here we go again :lol:
He's right though ? Carrick must be the most pointless assistant coach I have ever seen. He has been in this job since what, 2.5 years now ? One half under Mourinho and the entire Ole reign and he seems to be just there on the bench doing nothing.

I'll take Arteta ahead of Carrick and McKenna every day of the week, but I think if he leaves Arsenal he'll prefer working with Pep again and Pep will definitely want him back.

rcoobc

He's right though ? Carrick must be the most pointless assistant coach I have ever seen. He has been in this job since what, 2.5 years now ? One half under Mourinho and the entire Ole reign and he seems to be just there on the bench doing nothing..
What does Carrick do? I think he might be some sort of football coach?

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/does-mike-phelan-do-anything.320211/

This might come as surprise to some people on here but 99% of a football coaches' job happens before the football match.

Of course he still needs to watch the football match so that he knows what to work on during that 99%...

It's amazing to me. Would you be asking what a pool diver's coach is doing during the 4 seconds between jumping and hitting the water? What does he accept actually do?!

el3mel

What does Carrick do? I think he might be some sort of football coach?

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/does-mike-phelan-do-anything.320211/

This might come as surprise to some people on here but 99% of a football coaches' job happens before the football match.

Of course he still needs to watch the football match so that he knows what to work on during that 99%...

It's amazing to me. Would you be asking what a pool diver's coach is doing during the 4 seconds between jumping and hitting the water? What does he accept actually do?!
I mean, if he's working on training sessions and stuff, I'm not sure what he has done so far can be labeled as a good job either considering what we see on the pitch regularly.

rcoobc

I mean, if he's working on training sessions and stuff, I'm not sure what he has done so far can be labeled as a good job either considering what we see on the pitch regularly.
Indeed.

To be fair I think the biggest change post Fergie, apart from Moyes gutting out club, is that we let standards slip. Keane, Neville, Scholes, Giggs, Rio, etc would never let standards slip.

We'll get back there, but it will take time.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
We took a gamble with fake Fergie in Moyes, with past it van Gaal, we have gone with past it Mourinho, why not give it to fake Pep until end of the season? After all, he's the guy that signed David Luiz to improve Arsenal's defence, he probably knows a lot about football.

Zoo

City have declined because they aren’t managing the transition from Kompany, David Silva, Sane, injury prone Aguero very well. Pep has never rebuilt a team.

Highly doubt it has anything to do with Arteta and nobody knows for sure how good he or Carrick are as coaches.

RashyForPM

I'm only laughing because we had on here for half a decade a thread titled "What does Phelan actually do"

I assume he's some sort of football coach.

Also... None of our ex players called Queiroz a motivator. I'm pretty sure Evra said he's a horrible person to be stuck in a room with as he has no personality. Roy Keane obviously ... Not a fan. RVN hated him too at the end didn't he?
I’m not sure about Evra but Keane and RvN were isolated incidents. Keane was about the Portugal pre-season incident (which Queiroz 100% organised, we can also add that to the list) and RvN was because Queiroz showed favouritism to Ronaldo, as he obviously would to an 18 year old compatriot who just lost his dad. Forget motivator actually, to lads like Ronaldo, Anderson and Nani, Queiroz acted as a father figure.

James Peril

1. Arteta would never, ever take a job as second in command to Ole Solskjær.
2. We have no idea if City were better because he was there, most probably not at all, they just had better players and what’s missing now, real hunger.

poleglass red

We took a gamble with fake Fergie in Moyes, with past it van Gaal, we have gone with past it Mourinho, why not give it to fake Pep until end of the season? After all, he's the guy that signed David Luiz to improve Arsenal's defence, he probably knows a lot about football.
He didn't sign Luiz.