g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

If Cristiano Ronaldo leaves in the summer, what will it say about the future of Manchester United?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He would do us a massive favour. At age 37 he shouldn't be expecting to play every second of every game. He's too old for that.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He will probably become the best player in the world again. Martial leaves and gets man of the match on his debut for Sevilla and scores in his Europa league debut, VDB leaves and gets man of the match in first game for Everton. Diallo leaves and scores in first game for rangers. Says it all! Leaving man United makes everything and everyone better.

Signing him said a lot more about United.

A 36 year old that is well past it, who can't press when we are trying to implement a high pressing game, who can't be benched when we have a zillion offensive players that also need game time, who comes with a massive wage bill when we are in dire need of strengthening the midfield.

Pure nostalgia signing of a player that wasn't good enough, didn't fit the team, wasn't needed, and who has probably disrupted the dressing room atmosphere with his huge ego.

Danish Wizard

Not a lot. I don’t think it’s worked out for either party.

What I hope it does is stop the signing of past it forwards.
I actually think it has worked out perfectly for the club. It's all about the money, and Ronaldo is crucial to get more cash from fans, sponsors etc.

devilish

A 36 year old that is well past it, who can't press when we are trying to implement a high pressing game, who can't be benched when we have a zillion offensive players that also need game time, who comes with a massive wage bill when we are in dire need of strengthening the midfield.

Pure nostalgia signing of a player that wasn't good enough, didn't fit the team, wasn't needed, and who has probably disrupted the dressing room atmosphere with his huge ego.
we did what we've been doing for many many years ie from RVP to Owen right to Ibra and Cavani. We sign an experienced head to paper the cracks. Turns out that a 37 year old Ronaldo is not as devastating as RVP was and unlike Owen and Cavani he seems to think that he's still as good as when he was 24 years old. He's not. The time of Ballon d'ors and CL wins are over, unless of course he joins a top top side that can literally carry him to success.

manutddjw

We need him for 1 more year.

Cavani is definitely gone and the one who would’ve been our tallysman may never play again.

Rashford, Martial, Sancho and Elanga doesn’t fill me with confidence

manutddjw

Disagree with everything you said.

We’ve rotated Ronaldo out of the squad a few times and pressing didn’t get better with the younger players.

As far as the dressing room goes, Ronaldo (and De Gea) are the only ones who experienced this club as we are supposed to be. We’re supposed to win trophies not just be happy to be here.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Depends on the next manager. That's our most important decision right now. But having players who don't fit a cohesive system such as 37 year old Ronaldo or slow Maguire or poor on the AWB (dropped now) or can't pass a football Mctominay, doesn't help. Ronaldo is still a very good goalscorer but he doesn't help us in modernising in the manner a young and adaptable player like Sancho does, for example. I'd prefer we hire a quality manager and then help him in implementing a progressive attacking style by signing forwards (and midfielders etc ) who will fit that.
I get Ronaldo is very old and doesn't fit in many system which involves a lot of pressing or working hard play as a unit etc. But it would be very odd to suggest the most successful player in modern football and over multiple context, won't fit in any cohesive system at all. Again, understand he is getting old now and doesn't work as hard for the team.

But true if we are going to rebuild for future, we shouldn't rely on him next season. In fact, along the same line of thinking, I would say there are at least 7 or 8 players who has been too much of an individualist, or lazy shite, or too old or slow, or talentless, or for other reasons who don't fit in cohesive system:

Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Pogba, Cavani, Maguire, AWB, McFred, Lingard, Matic

Those from above, shouldn't or wouldn't start in our starting lineup next season.

And also, Bruno has been disruptive to our cohesive play at times, he is always about final balls, didn't really fill any hole in our midfield, and always tend to loss possession with his risky pass. But he is also very hardworking and impactful, so I'd still like to build our new team with him.

And I think we should try to bring back VDB and convinced he has a future here though. He is the best we have, in terms of midfield passing and build up play. We badly need that if we want to play any cohesive football next season.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Disagree with everything you said.

We’ve rotated Ronaldo out of the squad a few times and pressing didn’t get better with the younger players.

As far as the dressing room goes, Ronaldo (and De Gea) are the only ones who experienced this club as we are supposed to be. We’re supposed to win trophies not just be happy to be here.
So true, and when Ronaldo was out, younger players couldn't score goals too. It seems we need to throw away most of our younger players as well.

Walters_19_MuFc

It says that Ole should have stuck to his original plan of purchasing players bewteen a certain age bracket. We've seen time and time again over the years that these transfers don't really work out. That being said, although Ronaldo could be better in his general play, he'll always score goals given the service.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That we might sign a no.9 in his prime for once

DWelbz19

That we might sign a no.9 in his prime for once
Just to add to this, the last time we signed one in their peak was Lukaku?

Ronaldo (36)
Cavani (34)
Ighalo (30)
Lukaku (24)
Ibrahimovic (34)
Falcao (28, but he literally came off the back of a huge ACL injury)

Pretty awful list

Litch

Says the gesture was right, if it was going to happen we couldn’t let him go to City but let’s now start making football decisions rather than sentimental and commercial ones….

Amsterdam Devil

It would be best for everyone if he leaves. He doesn’t fit in with the tactical system that we want to play this season and next season as well probably. And the role he has to play is different than he was used to. At Madrid he played with Benzema who did all the hard work for him, now he is on his own and has to do all the work and pressing, doesn’t fit his style of play. I think he could even be better on the wings right now. But would be best for Ronaldo, United and the other players if he left.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Ronaldo is done at top level, would be a massive mistake for United if he stays one more year, and gets a team rebuilt around him at 37.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
He will probably become the best player in the world again. Martial leaves and gets man of the match on his debut for Sevilla and scores in his Europa league debut, VDB leaves and gets man of the match in first game for Everton. Diallo leaves and scores in first game for rangers. Says it all! Leaving man United makes everything and everyone better.
Indeed, Ronaldo will go to MLS, and will score hatricks every weekend.

Lost bear

It might say that we are at last becoming a forward looking club rather than clinging to ghosts of glory. That wouldn’t be a bad thing, maybe?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I could score hat tricks in the mls :lol: I don’t think Ronaldo would go there to be honest, he wants another champions league.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Ronaldo was a good commercial signing and a bad footballing one. So if he leaves it says the club might be changing its priorities.

devilish

We need him for 1 more year.

Cavani is definitely gone and the one who would’ve been our tallysman may never play again.

Rashford, Martial, Sancho and Elanga doesn’t fill me with confidence
we really don't need him.

Experience is great when the player in question is ready to sacrifice himself to teach others and when he understands his limits. Ronaldo fails on both counts. In Ronaldo's world there's only Ronaldo

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It would mean we would be a pretty sane club not to rely on a 37 year old striker.

Herman Toothrot

If Cristiano Ronaldo leaves in the summer, it will say the future of Manchester United is no longer about short-termism, nostalgia and being taken for mugs by overpaid, self-centered malcontents whose ego bears little resemblance to their actual ability.

DWelbz19

At least if he’s doing this now we can get a resolution (I.e. him leaving) as early as possible in the summer. I don’t think anyone wants this to drag out all summer long — Juventus had to wait until the last day of the window to get rid.

Cavani + Ronaldo leaving in one summer frees up a lot of wages for the incoming striker.