If Liverpool fail to win the Champions League this season...

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Great title. If Liverpool fail to win the Champions League...

1). They will be the laughing stock of the football world.
2). We will still give Klopp a trophy, as the most deserving 2nd place team.

And so on...

But let’s not jinx it please.
You think we’d be a laughing stock for losing to Spurs? They’re still a very good team.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
That’s a pretty big if.

Anyway, while they’ve finished finished lower than us (and not any higher) in the league and so far won nothing, they’ve been on a journey to get where they want to be and they’re now there. We’ve wasted six seasons.

Kapardin

You think we’d be a laughing stock for losing to Spurs? They’re still a very good team.
Agreed. Also, Pochettino has massively improved his European performances since the Genk/Gent (can't remember which) days. Spurs have been consistently good in Europe for the past 2 seasons which isn't a fluke.

I'd say the odds are 75-25 in favor of Liverpool though simply because you are the better team of course.

haram

They are clearly in a better position going forward. Ask me this at the end of last season and the answer would be different.

CognitiveNeuro

Honestly 1 CL is better than a Europa League+League Cup (by far).

I heard fans in Barcelona saying they would be willing to give up even 3 La Ligas just for 1 CL. Some said even more.

I think if Liverpool wins the CL it will be better than anything that United did post-Ferguson...but it's a big if as I think Spurs might nick it in the end. Just a feeling.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Whether it’s Liverpool or Spurs, one of them will be putting City’s achievements over the past two seasons in the shade with a single trophy in a couple of weeks.

DavidvsGoliath

Let see how the past 6 years panned out for both :
  • We ve had 4 different managers they ve had two.
  • They challenged two times for the league coming short of 2 points then 1 point this year while we ve been at least 18+ points from the champions 6 years running.
  • They reached 2 CL finals, our best result so far is a QF.
  • They played great attacking football in 2013/2014, 2016/2017, 2017/2018 and also built a very solid and strong squad with the right players in 2018/2019, we played horrendous football with the wrong players.
  • In 6 years they finished 4 times in the top 4 compared to our 2.
  • Finally going into 2019/2020 they are in a far better position than we are , with a better manager working with a better set up structure , they have everything in place to at least go for 88-90 points.
Yes we won an Europa League, a league cup and a Community Shield but did we built on that success ? No, the trophies were nice but things only got worse, that said being a United fan I' d stick with my club and hope things get better..

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They aren't. Except by people obtuse enough to deliberately forget them.
But they are though. Most of the time you need to hit Google to remind yourself who finished second.... I get your point but let's not get carried away.

Last edited:

Ducklegs

The point of the game is to win trophies.

If you dont win anything you are a failure.

End of story.

If they dont beat Spuds this weekend liverpools entire season is a failure, just like last season, and the season before that,

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
But they are though. Most of the time you need to hit Google to remind yourself who finished second.... I get your point but let's not get carried away.
I have to google who finished as league champion in 1974. Why does my or your or anyone's shitty memory (compared to that of a computer or history book) have any relevance? The notion that history only remembers the winners is stupid. It remembers everything in recent times.

If the importance of an accomplishment is measured by what someone can actually remember without resorting to the internet or other records, then a lot of important things in football and out of football are no longer important.

afrocentricity

I have to google who finished as league champion in 1974. Why does my or your or anyone's shitty memory (compared to that of a computer or history book) have any relevance? The notion that history only remembers the winners is stupid. It remembers everything in recent times.

If the importance of an accomplishment is measured by what someone can actually remember without resorting to the internet or other records, then a lot of important things in football and out of football are no longer important.
It is what it is. You know it's true.... Nobody really gives a feck about runners up except the supporters, and even then it's fleeting....

You can argue about how you think it should be, I'm taking about how it is...

adexkola

Supports
It is what it is. You know it's true.... Nobody really gives a feck about runners up except the supporters, and even then it's fleeting....

I don't know it's true. I don't imagine importance of accomplishments in football to be driven by people who choose to pretend as if all but the trophy winner is one grey mass of nothingness. And I trust a lot of people think the same way, which automatically negates the second bolded part.

Now if you and the likes of you want to pretend like you don't remember who finished second in 2010/2014/2019, OR you want to pretend like you don't remember who finished second in those years or other years... feel free I guess.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Not in a million years.

If you had won a CL during those years, then maybe. If you had won a PL, then most probably. But the position you're in right now is so bad that I really don't envy you and an FA Cup and Europa League here and there wouldn't change anything.
Laughable opinion. Exactly two years ago you finished fourth, and three years ago you finished EIGHT! We are not decades behind you.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
I have enjoyed every one of our seasons since Ferguson retired except 14/15. We've been improving every year since then and are arguably stronger now than ever.

The downside is obviously, that we've got nothing to show for it. No trophies. And I agree, that it will be forgotten in time, unlike trophies which will last forever. We need some trophies, no doubt about that.

But you can't take the thrill here and now and say it's irellevant just because we hadn't won anything, because it isn't.

We don't live forever. We live here and now. And here and now we are enjoying football. We are proud of our team and every single liverpool fan is behind the manager.

What else can you ask for?? Yeah I know.. Trophies :p

I wouldn't swap our ride and the optimism for the future with your trophies since Ferguson though. If it included a league title i would have to reconsider ;)

Last edited:

afrocentricity

Now if you and the likes of you want to pretend like you don't remember who finished second in 2010/2014/2019, OR you want to pretend like you don't remember who finished second in those years or other years... feel free I guess.
:lol: that's the thing I don't remember (the cheek of you insinuating I'm pretending though). I'd have to hit Google. Is that not normal then? What can I say? Given the plethora of things I need to remember in my day to day life, who finished second in what competition is waaaay down the list.

Ok let's just say I'm speaking for myself, and those like me. I think this is just a clash of personalities. People are different, who would have thought?

So can you recall who finished 2nd in the EPL, La Liga, and Seria A for the last 10 years without googling it? If so what about if I added EL and CL? If not then how much of it can you recall? Genuinely interested....

Hughie77

Went shopping after they beat Barca, and checkout guy had already thought they won there 6th European cup! Idiot thought it was the final. Typical pool fan when it suits them to be. Loads of them about

Canagel

Yes. I'll rather be top 2 team in Europe playing attacking football and be serious contender in PL and CL instead of couple of fluky cups and 6 years of dross football.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Laughable opinion. Exactly two years ago you finished fourth, and three years ago you finished EIGHT! We are not decades behind you.
You’ll see next year mate, what’s so “laughable” about it.

We had a plan and direction from the moment Klopp took over, I’ve yet to see any signs that Ole has either. Our eight place was also due to our focus being elsewhere and us not able to compete on different fronts back then, simple as that.

You’re already a lot behind right now and if anything our clubs are still moving in different directions as far as I’m concerned.

Ban

:lol: that's the thing I don't remember (the cheek of you insinuating I'm pretending though). I'd have to hit Google. Is that not normal then? What can I say? Given the plethora of things I need to remember in my day to day life, who finished second in what competition is waaaay down the list.

Ok let's just say I'm speaking for myself, and those like me. I think this is just a clash of personalities. People are different, who would have thought?

So can you recall who finished 2nd in the EPL, La Liga, and Seria A for the last 10 years without googling it? If so what about if I added EL and CL? If not then how much of it can you recall? Genuinely interested....
Maybe he deliberately forgot about those?

adexkola

Supports

:lol: sorry, was just having a little fun.

I'm not saying it's normal. I'm saying your inability to remember anything other than the trophy winner in a specific season, does not render the accomplishments of all but trophy winning teams, insignificant or not worth a given feck. In other words, Liverpool finishing second with 97 points, is not an insignificant accomplishment, despite the fact that you will somehow fail to remember this 10 years from now. Your memory or the lack thereof, has nothing to do with the objective evaluation of an accomplishment.

Regarding the bolded, good. So you acknowledge that the comment "nobody really gives a feck" is hyperbole at best.

Let's say I, like you or some others, 10 years into the future, forget that Ajax made it to the semi-finals. Do you really think that it has a bearing on what an incredible run it was for the club, knocking out teams like Real and Juventus?

If I think hard enough, yes, I can remember a lot of football related details going back 10 years. That just means I probably have a better memory. It has no bearing on the significance of a certain accomplishment.

afrocentricity

Meh, I stand by my assertions... Doesn't take away from what the teams do during the season sure, but it doesn't amount to much. Just like the season before last didn't amount to much imo. Yeah we were second, but we weren't first. What can I say?

As for you having a better memory? You're probably right but you didn't tackle my last para so it can't that much better :smirk:

Ban

:lol: sorry, was just having a little fun.

I'm not saying it's normal. I'm saying your inability to remember anything other than the trophy winner in a specific season, does not render the accomplishments of all but trophy winning teams, insignificant or not worth a given feck. In other words, Liverpool finishing second with 97 points, is not an insignificant accomplishment, despite the fact that you will somehow fail to remember this 10 years from now. Your memory or the lack thereof, has nothing to do with the objective evaluation of an accomplishment.

Regarding the bolded, good. So you acknowledge that the comment "nobody really gives a feck" is hyperbole at best.

Let's say I, like you or some others, 10 years into the future, forget that Ajax made it to the semi-finals. Do you really think that it has a bearing on what an incredible run it was for the club, knocking out teams like Real and Juventus?

If I think hard enough, yes, I can remember a lot of football related details going back 10 years. That just means I probably have a better memory. It has no bearing on the significance of a certain accomplishment.
If someone has a worse memory than you that doesn't mean he's obtuse, right?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
You’ll see next year mate, what’s so “laughable” about it.

We had a plan and direction from the moment Klopp took over, I’ve yet to see any signs that Ole has either. Our eight place was also due to our focus being elsewhere and us not able to compete on different fronts back then, simple as that.

You’re already a lot behind right now and if anything our clubs are still moving in different directions as far as I’m concerned.
You finished right three years ago and were nowhere near on the right track. One or two good signings, bit of luck and good manager and you are back on track. It doesn't mean that it will happen for Umited too, but thing in football change quickly. We can make few good signings and even if Ole isn't man for a job we can still have far better season than this.

If just one of Salah, Mane, van Dijk, didn't turn out to be good signing for you, you would be nowhere near competitive.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I guess the question is: do I want to be welcoming the 19/20 season in LFC's trophyless position or Utd's? I might be biased but I'm going with Liverpool's.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
They're challenging for the league, against potentially one of the greatest sides in premier League history and also the champions League, the coveted prize in club football. To top it all off, they play really good football.

We won two lower tier trophies, our football is as fun to watch as an episode of EastEnders, languishing in 6th, a manager roulette, a bunch of instagrammers in the starting 11 and the board have shown they have no clue how to fix the ship.

Yeah, I'd take Liverpool's position any day of the week.

Schneckerl

Yeah, right. People remember Liverpool 05 or Chelsea 12 winning the CL, but have no clue who they played against in the final. Do you think that's "how it is"?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I guess the question is: do I want to be welcoming the 19/20 season in LFC's trophyless position or Utd's? I might be biased but I'm going with Liverpool's.
Well no, that isn’t the question.

That would simply be asking ‘who had the better season’, and the answer is obviously Liverpool. We didn’t win a trophy this year. If we had won the Europa League, while you had only a glorious second place in everything to show, the answer isn’t as straightforward.

adexkola

Supports
Meh, I stand by my assertions... Doesn't take away from what the teams do during the season sure, but it doesn't amount to much. Just like the season before last didn't amount to much imo. Yeah we were second, but we weren't first. What can I say?

As for you having a better memory? You're probably right but you didn't tackle my last para so it can't that much better :smirk:
:lol: touche

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yeah, right. People remember Liverpool 05 or Chelsea 12 winning the CL, but have no clue who they played against in the final. Do you think that's "how it is"?
Conversely, I remember when Liverpool won their ‘fake treble’ and beat Alaves in the final. Who cares about what Alaves did then, or can even name one player?

The ‘quality football’ but gets sort of ‘taped over’ in people’s memory over time by whoever is playing the quality football in the present. Even on a micro-level, within a 90 minute game of football, it is said that ‘they need to take advantage of this period while they are on top’. Jose used to show frustration when his teams did not ‘kill’. Over time, the fact that you ‘played well’ matters little if you lose. Even from week to week and game to game. In Jose’s first season we drew game after game after being well on top and not putting chances away, only to get suckered with a late equaliser. We were actually playing well. We had 37 shots on goal against Burnley, but drew 1-1, which is what will be used against us and Mourinho in a footballing court of law.

afrocentricity

Are we not taking about Leagues here? CL hasn't even happened yet....

Is my point even that controversial? There are a million examples of coaches and successfully competitive sports people as well as peeps that aren't in sports claiming that only 1st matters, one of them being SAF. I get it, if your team finished second you want to believe that it's an achievement and it is, but it's still losing.

And then you have people here denigrating the Europa League and League Cup as if they mean feck all meanwhile nearly every other
teams support would love being able to say they won them recently....

GNRfan

Supports
Liverpool
The football regressed but it's helped you cope with the times you've not played so well because you're not left exposed.
And I'm not sure that's an answer to the luck. You got far more than just the rub of the green from playing well.
How did it regress? We scored nearly the same amount of goals as last season. Our goal difference was similar to City's to this season.

We played football to get luck. Because we kept going for it, so some decisions went our way. It was bound to happen. It happens to the other teams too; Liverpool are being highlighted because we are always on the television.
United got lots of luck in their day.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I had a feeling that they will either lose both titles or win both. Hope I was right.

Even if they have won nothing, their football project clearly works and they are on the right path. We, on the other hand, are in a deep s'it...
You were really pushing the boat out there, what with backing 2 of the three outcomes. Bold.

Number4.

Find a Spurs or Liverpool fan who would swap their Semi-Final nights and memories of it, for a League Cup & you have found a liar (or Jose )

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
How did it regress? We scored nearly the same amount of goals as last season. Our goal difference was similar to City's to this season.

We played football to get luck. Because we kept going for it, so some decisions went our way. It was bound to happen. It happens to the other teams too; Liverpool are being highlighted because we are always on the television.
United got lots of luck in their day.
I'm talking about the football, not the stats. The balance brought to the side helped balance the stats, and the luck topped them up, but I don't think the football was anywhere near as threatening for the most part.
I'm well aware that playing well means more luck, but you got more than usual. We'll see if it's sustainable. I'm not saying Liverpool aren't a good side now, and you're solid top 4 quality without a doubt, but I also don't think it's as sussed as some might think.

AshRK

I would prefer us to be in Liverpool's position right now but that does not mean I would trade our trophies, even if that is league cup for a second placed position, even if that second placed position is 1 point behind. No I would not. Every club should aim to win trophies and every club who have reached at the top are there because of trophies won. We have not won a trophy for 2 years and it already feels like ages since we last won a trophy.

Swarlos

Supports
Lyn FK, Liverpool
It depends on how you see it. Would I rather be in our position than yours after this season, if we lose against spurs? Yes of course, because we have spent those years building a great team, and have acquired arguably one of the worlds best managers. If we don't win anything this year, we will still be in great shape to fight for trophies in the coming years.

If you disregard the current state of the teams, and pretend it won't affect the coming years, I would still probably pick us. This one is harder though. I have seen how my United supporting friends have kinda grown uninterested in football generally, and while they have 2 trophies to show for it, it doesn't change the fact that they are watching fewer matches than they used to, because the football is so shit. In the end football is entertainment, and Liverpool have provided more of that than United in the last 6 years. The Barca and Dortmund games are some of the most memorable moments I've had watching football. Maybe the most memorable. (I went to bed at half time in 2005)

If we again were to disregard how the current state of the teams will affect future trophies, and pretend I was looking back at those 6 years in 10 years from now, I would pick you.