IF ole and woody were still in place, how different would our transfer targets be?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Sean & Matty Longstaff - £95m

Chairman Steve

Probably tried to get Haaland and being too busy getting priced out by West Ham for Rice like chumps.

After all that, panicking and purchasing Lewandowski and giving him £500k a week on the last week of August.

Idxomer

It's difficult to say especially after a season like this.

They might've fully focused on buying from the PL or gone looking for some budget deals in Europe. It's anybody's guess, we definitely would've no chance with the likes of Rice and Lewandowski as it's the case now.

acnumber9

That's because he mostly worked with rubbish players in a shit league before coming to United.
He got shit for signing Premier League players too. Half this thread is just that. I’ve no idea how good some of these players we’re supposedly interested in are but it’s not suggestive of casting a very wide net.

Irrational.

Rice
Dembele
Bale
Tyrone Minge/ McGinn on a double deal
Max Aarons
Whispering sweet nothings to Pogba and allowing him to take control of the club as he signs a new contract for £500,000/ week
Doing his best to keep Lingy, Nurmanyer and Matey

led_scholes

Pretty sure Ole veto'd Dybala as he knew he didn't want to play for United, and instead backed Greenwood to make it that season.
How can you veto someone if he is not going to join anyway? Also, wasnt that in the summer of 2019? Ole wasnt even using Greenwood, bar the odd cup game, before Covid. Dybala was supposed to replace Lukaku.

jem

Barely played him for 2 years and spent the best part of 18 months trying to sell him so that one makes no sense.
Isn’t it widely believed that Ole convinced Lingard to stay last summer?

sugar_kane

How can you veto someone if he is not going to join anyway? Also, wasnt that in the summer of 2019? Ole wasnt even using Greenwood, bar the odd cup game, before Covid. Dybala was supposed to replace Lukaku.
My point was that Ole opted against signing Dybala (owing to concerns about his desire to play for the club, as well as wage demands) to replace Lukaku, knowing he could promote Greenwood. He went from 4 apps in 2018/19 to 49 the following seasons so don't see how that undermines my point

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soc...sources-greenwood-could-replace-lukaku-at-utd

Andersons Dietician

If woody was still in charge we would have paid 100mil for Neymar already and offering him 850k a week and head of football recruitment.

stevoc

Isn’t it widely believed that Ole convinced Lingard to stay last summer?
It might well be, people especially on here seem to believe many things. But it doesn't necessarily make it fact though.

But even it it were true, Solskjaer barely played him for the calendar year of 2020. Loaned him out for the first half of 2021 and then again barely played him during the time he was manager at the club last season.

So those don't strike me as the actions of a man who would be desperate for Lingard to extend his contract.

led_scholes

My point was that Ole opted against signing Dybala (owing to concerns about his desire to play for the club, as well as wage demands) to replace Lukaku, knowing he could promote Greenwood. He went from 4 apps in 2018/19 to 49 the following seasons so don't see how that undermines my point

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soc...sources-greenwood-could-replace-lukaku-at-utd
Still don't get it. Why would Ole care about Dybala wage demands? Didn't Dybala reject us even though we held talks with him?

It had nothing to do with Greenwood's potential.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We'd have given in to Nunez's wage demands, that's for sure.

Abraxas

Very different as the targets all seem to be related to Ten Hag rather than the recruitment structure that is in place. I think for this summer the manager has pretty much overridden everything that may have taken place over the course of the season. Which is probably correct in the short term.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Rangnick inherited a divided team whose morale was at an all time low. Things would be 10 times worse with Ole. He was the one who promised everything to everyone after all. His inability to take tough decisions would probably irk the Portuguese contingency as well. By the end of the season United would face transfer requests from Henderson, Bruno, Ronaldo, VDB and Martial with many going public with it, giving the club no option but to sell.

On a positive note Ole would probably have 245m - 260m to spend (120m + transfers ( Bruno (60m to PSG or Bayern), Ronaldo (15m to Newcastle), Henderson (15m to Newcastle), VDB (25m to Ajax), 6m for Periera to Fulham, Dalot 6m and, Bailly for 6m-8m to Milan).

GK: Ole was always obsessed with having 3 experienced keepers. Thus once Henderson leaves we'll probably go for a keeper as well. I think we'll sign Sam Johnstone on a free

Fullbacks: Ole was already starting to lose some of his trust in AWB. I think he would go for Max Aarons from Norwich for 25m.

CBs: No manager would admit that his 80m signing was crap. He'll do his very best to make it work. Thus I can see us go for another CB to partner. I believe that guy would end up being Pau Torres, a target Ole always liked.

DM: With Bruno and Ronaldo gone, United would be itching for a big name signing. I think we'll go for Declan Rice for 100m ie someone whom United could hype to the ridiculous while concurrently make Maguire look half decent. Matic would act as cover.

B2B: Fred and McT would cover this role

AMC: Having lost Bruno and VDB, United would beg Pogba and Mata to remain.

RW: Sancho will be moved back to the Right with Lingard acting as cover for AMR and AMC.

LW: Rashy, Elanga and Martial would be our LW

STK: Ole would hope that Greenwood would one day return to United. Thus he'd go for a main striker and a cheap cover/competition for Greenwood once he returns. I think the guys in question would be Lewandowski and Nketiah

First team

------------------DDG-------------
Aarons--Maguire--Torres---Shaw
-------------Rice----McT--------------
Sancho-------Pogba------------Rashy
--------------Lewandowski-----------

----------------Johnstone------------
AWB-----Varane---Lindelof------Telles
-------------Matic-----Fred------------------
Mata----------Jesse--------------Martial
------------------Nketiah---------------------

tomaldinho1

We’d blow the entire budget on Rice, West Ham would laugh all the way to the bank.

Chris-Red

They’re gone lads, let it go!

Month/years complaining about them, then when they leave, keep on about what would they be doing if they were still here!

wolvored

Rangnick inherited a divided team whose morale was at an all time low. Things would be 10 times worse with Ole. He was the one who promised everything to everyone after all. His inability to take tough decisions would probably irk the Portuguese contingency as well. By the end of the season United would face transfer requests from Henderson, Bruno, Ronaldo, VDB and Martial with many going public with it, giving the club no option but to sell.

On a positive note Ole would probably have 245m - 260m to spend (120m + transfers ( Bruno (60m to PSG or Bayern), Ronaldo (15m to Newcastle), Henderson (15m to Newcastle), VDB (25m to Ajax), 6m for Periera to Fulham, Dalot 6m and, Bailly for 6m-8m to Milan).

GK: Ole was always obsessed with having 3 experienced keepers. Thus once Henderson leaves we'll probably go for a keeper as well. I think we'll sign Sam Johnstone on a free

Fullbacks: Ole was already starting to lose some of his trust in AWB. I think he would go for Max Aarons from Norwich for 25m.

CBs: No manager would admit that his 80m signing was crap. He'll do his very best to make it work. Thus I can see us go for another CB to partner. I believe that guy would end up being Pau Torres, a target Ole always liked.

DM: With Bruno and Ronaldo gone, United would be itching for a big name signing. I think we'll go for Declan Rice for 100m ie someone whom United could hype to the ridiculous while concurrently make Maguire look half decent. Matic would act as cover.

B2B: Fred and McT would cover this role

AMC: Having lost Bruno and VDB, United would beg Pogba and Mata to remain.

RW: Sancho will be moved back to the Right with Lingard acting as cover for AMR and AMC.

LW: Rashy, Elanga and Martial would be our LW

STK: Ole would hope that Greenwood would one day return to United. Thus he'd go for a main striker and a cheap cover/competition for Greenwood once he returns. I think the guys in question would be Lewandowski and Nketiah

First team

------------------DDG-------------
Aarons--Maguire--Torres---Shaw
-------------Rice----McT--------------
Sancho-------Pogba------------Rashy
--------------Lewandowski-----------

----------------Johnstone------------
AWB-----Varane---Lindelof------Telles
-------------Matic-----Fred------------------
Mata----------Jesse--------------Martial
------------------Nketiah---------------------
Those transfer outs and the fees :lol:

Zen86

Month/years complaining about them, then when they leave, keep on about what would they be doing if they were still here!
Just wait for the ‘where would we have finished with ole’ threads at the end of the season.

dpansheth

This is grieving process. Let everything come out. so we can achieve final closure.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Let's not get too smug about how much better this summer supposedly is until

A)we've actually signed someone
B) they've actually played well for longer than a week or 2.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Those transfer outs and the fees :lol:
Bruno 60m. If he handled a transfer request then his price will drop especially since he was heading towards the end of his contract.
Hendo 15m. That's a reasonable price for a young EPL proven English player whose been out of the first team for quite some time
VDB 25M. I admit that's a bit controversial. However here's my thought. Ajax spent 20m for Haller. Surely they would be ready to spend a bit more for a midfielder who they know is mint having already played for them. They'll probably break the fee in instalments for 3 years
Periera 6m. Fulham wants him for around 10m. I am confident that Woodward's expertise would make the fee drop to 6m.
Dalot 6m. Next year he'll be a free agent. With Ole losing hope from him I can't see us asking silly money for him.
Bailly 6m-8m. Bailly is injury prone and he's also on decent salary. If we sell him then that would be ratified in the fee.

wolvored

Bruno 60m. If he handled a transfer request then his price will drop especially since he was heading towards the end of his contract.
Hendo 15m. That's a reasonable price for a young EPL proven English player whose been out of the first team for quite some time
VDB 25M. I admit that's a bit controversial. However here's my thought. Ajax spent 20m for Haller. Surely they would be ready to spend a bit more for a midfielder who they know is mint having already played for them. They'll probably break the fee in instalments for 3 years
Periera 6m. Fulham wants him for around 10m. I am confident that Woodward's expertise would make the fee drop to 6m.
Dalot 6m. Next year he'll be a free agent. With Ole losing hope from him I can't see us asking silly money for him.
Bailly 6m-8m. Bailly is injury prone and he's also on decent salary. If we sell him then that would be ratified in the fee.
I cant see anyone paying 60 mill for Bruno as he has become erratic. Newcastle didnt want Henderson and Dalot 6 million cant see that either. Bailly you might get 6 mill. Would Ajax want VDB back for that much? They are a buy cheap sell dearer club.

TommyDocYears

We would go for English players with Ole in charge. Now we seems to go all Dutch.
We would go for English players with Ole in charge. Now we seems to go all Dutch.
What concerns me is that ETH was touted as one of the best coaches in Europe , yet despite money being available all he seems to be looking at are his ex players from Ajax ,> Surely he wanted to buy players at Ajax but was restrained due to their budget ? I would have thought he would have a list of elite players he wanted but would never dream of getting at Ajax.....

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We'd be buying players to get us out of the Championship in 2023-24...

Rojofiam

I reckon we would have been linked to the likes of;

mcginn
Botman
Bale
Lewandowski

We would be in for none of these players. Ole could identify the squad's needs very well AND identified the perfect players. No need to rewrite history...pathetic thread all in all

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We would be in for none of these players. Ole could identify the squad's needs very well AND identified the perfect players. No need to rewrite history...pathetic thread all in all
What are you smoking. We’ve been linked to all those players during Oles tenure

Rojofiam

What are you smoking. We’ve been linked to all those players during Oles tenure
We also signed players like Varane, Ronaldo, Sancho, Fernandes, van de Beek, Maguire + wanted Haaland, Grealish, Rice & Bellingham during Ole's tenure. All considered elite category talents / players at the time they were brought in. But that won't fit your narrative and you decide to spin it your way :lol:

Not to mention we were linked with literally hundreds of players so I don't get what you're trying to say. Just because we were linked with Longstaff once it doesn't mean all we could think of is to sign mediocre / past-it British players...because funnily enough we did not sign a single player under Ole that fits the profile you're referring to.

No offense but your comments / threads make you look like a twitter account run by some 16 year old bashing Ole (7 month after his departure :lol:), Maguire, etc. all day just because the current general consensus towards them. Grow up.

golden_blunder

Staff
We also signed players like Varane, Ronaldo, Sancho, Fernandes, van de Beek, Maguire + wanted Haaland, Grealish, Rice & Bellingham during Ole's tenure. All considered elite category talents / players at the time they were brought in. But that won't fit your narrative and you decide to spin it your way :lol:

Not to mention we were linked with literally hundreds of players so I don't get what you're trying to say. Just because we were linked with Longstaff once it doesn't mean all we could think of is to sign mediocre / past-it British players...because funnily enough we did not sign a single player under Ole that fits the profile you're referring to.

No offense but your comments / threads make you look like a twitter account run by some 16 year old bashing Ole (7 month after his departure :lol:), Maguire, etc. all day just because the current general consensus towards them. Grow up.
Who rattled your cage?

Rojofiam

Who rattled your cage?
:lol: :lol: :lol: This is literally the same thing you asked me when you made a thread called "Name abbreviations for next season" and called Maguire "Bag of shite" and I basically said that it wasn't funny at all :lol:

Is this the only counter you have after getting called out?

Why don't you answer to my reply instead? Oh wait, you can't, because the reality is that the last thing you can blame Solskjaer for is his squad building / recruitment. I don't know why you create a thread and list 4 players we absolutely never would've signed under any manager.

golden_blunder

Staff
:lol: :lol: :lol: This is literally the same thing you asked me when you made a thread called "Name abbreviations for next season" and called Maguire "Bag of shite" and I basically said that it wasn't funny at all :lol:

Is this the only counter you have after getting called out?

Why don't you answer to my reply instead? Oh wait, you can't, because the reality is that the last thing you can blame Solskjaer for is his squad building / recruitment. I don't know why you create a thread and list 4 players we absolutely never would've signed under any manager.
Ok if you want an answer to frankly a ridiculous vent of energy you can look at my posting history. Defending Ole, defending Maguire, defending AWB, defending Lingard, defending Jones etc. the only one I didn’t defend was Lindelof because i don’t rate him from day one or even before we bought him. I thought Dias was a better option. But hey ho.
i defended those fellas for too long until they became indefensible.
now as for this thread it’s a bit of preseason fun (remember that?) and merely pointing out in simple terms how different the transfer targets would have been compared to ETH. This was tongue in cheek because of the amount of moaning about having a year to prepare for targets. Well done for missing it all and making something out of a molehill. Welcome to the Caf.

Rojofiam

Ok if you want an answer to frankly a ridiculous vent of energy you can look at my posting history. Defending Ole, defending Maguire, defending AWB, defending Lingard, defending Jones etc. the only one I didn’t defend was Lindelof because i don’t rate him from day one or even before we bought him. I thought Dias was a better option. But hey ho.
i defended those fellas for too long until they became indefensible.
now as for this thread it’s a bit of preseason fun (remember that?) and merely pointing out in simple terms how different the transfer targets would have been compared to ETH. This was tongue in cheek because of the amount of moaning about having a year to prepare for targets. Well done for missing it all and making something out of a molehill. Welcome to the Caf.
Okay, so how is Maguire "indefensible"? He had a solid opening season when our defence became the 3rd best in the league after leaking goals left and right in 18/19 without him and AWB. After that, we brought in some players pretty late and basically only Telles and Cavani were new first teamers, but we still collectively improved and Maguire played a major part in that, being one of the best PL defenders along with Dias..especially with van Dijk's long-term injury, there weren't many better centre backs in the league. He topped it off with a great EUROs...then 1 abysmal season followed and now he's become indefensible? Even throughout his good periods all that was needed for him to be crucified on the internet is 1 mistake... :lol: The agenda against him is unreal...The only thing I have against him is that he's captain, he's obviously not cut out for that and I would give it up if I were him. But other than that he's still a class CB and arguably our best defender coming off of a career-worst season where the whole team was collectively utter shite...how does that make him indefensible? I swear if he wasn't English and his appearance was different he would be treated so differently...

As for AWB, I thought he could improve and become a very good player for us but it never really happened and his off pitch stories don't paint a good picture either so I can't wait for him to go. Lingard should've been gone a long time ago along with Pogba. Same with Jones, although for different reasons. So I guess we can agree on those 3.

I wonder if people would admit they were wrong if Maguire, McTominay, Shaw and Rashford all became key players under EtH and we started winning major trophies...because the agenda against these 4 is laughable at this point. All of them proved their worth in a functional team.