If one has to go from Mata, Martial, or Blind, which one?

Hojoon

Both Mata and Blind have one year left on their contracts, I'm surprised there's not much speculation about them.

Jaybomb

Martial for me.

I've said it from the beginning but I just don't think he's a United player. He is like Memphis in a sense. A good prospect but look at the greats of the club and their play style and attitudes and tell me Martial doesn't stick out like a sore thumb in comparison?

Mata and Blind have a connection with the fans. They embrace the club and don't sulk when they don't play etc. Blind is useful in 5 different positions. It would be madness to sell him.

On top of all that, I simply prefer Mata and Blind to Martial. If we sell Martial, we have Rashford but if we sell Mata... who else do we have that'll do what he does?

Mike09

Mata or Blind IMO.

Mata hasn't make big step up in his game ever since he joined us. I think he hasn't been fulfill of what we were expecting. But don't mind to have him around as a backup. And also DDG can have more Spanish friends means reduce the chance for homesick. :lol:

Blind is just utility player. But don't mind to have him around since he can cover 3 positions.

But Martial will be my last pick. He has more talent and big potential. We can't lose anymore striker option. He's still very young compare to the other two as well.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I know this makes me soft, but none of them. Mata offers too much as a flair player, losing Blind without a better replacement would be terrible for our rotation, especially the next time we're hit with multiple defensive injuries, Martial still has too much potential and seems to suffer from mental weakness - which might simply come down to age and getting a handle on his personal life. So I guess if I had to make some kind of choice I'd say Martial- but only on loan. The kid imho is far more talented than Januzaj and Memphis.

Mr Smith

We're short on quality in attack, and people want to sell one of two of our most dangerous attacking players? :houllier:

I honestly don't understand anyone who wants to sell Martial. The kid is 21. 21! You can clearly see the talent there and its not like he's keeping better players out of the team, he's fighting for a place himself. There is literally no reason to sell him. As for Mata, he's been consistently productive since he arrived, doesn't necessarily demand to start every game, and clearly loves the club. Once again, no reason to sell.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Blind if you had to make a choice but good squad players like Blind are also essential.

Jaybomb

Mata or Blind IMO.

Mata hasn't make big step up in his game ever since he joined us. I think he hasn't been fulfill of what we were expecting. But don't mind to have him around as a backup. And also DDG can have more Spanish friends means reduce the chance for homesick. :lol:

Blind is just utility player. But don't mind to have him around since he can cover 3 positions.

But Martial will be my last pick. He has more talent and big potential. We can't lose anymore striker option. He's still very young compare to the other two as well.
Mata is the leading scorer for us now that Rooney is gone. 36 goals.

His numbers at United are better than his numbers at Chelsea. Not sure how he's been underwhelming. He's not played consistently at #10. That is a fact. I fancy Lukaku to have a great connection with him.

prath92

It's like asking if you have to sell one of de gea pogba and Herrera who would you sell. It doesn't make sense because none of them play in the same position

kundalini

Mata should be sold this summer. During his time here, our attack has been at its weakest since the early Ferguson years. I still don't understand why we bought Mata in the first place.

He's now 29. His deal runs until 2018. To give him a new contract would be ridiculous, though a long way from being the most stupid thing we've done in recent years.

Last edited:

ghagua

Mata can go. Blind can be useful during the season and Martial is young and still has not reached his potential.

Mike09

Mata is the leading scorer for us now that Rooney is gone. 36 goals.

His numbers at United are better than his numbers at Chelsea. Not sure how he's been underwhelming. He's not played consistently at #10. That is a fact. I fancy Lukaku to have a great connection with him.
I don't understand why are you trying to against the fact that Mata hasn't been performing as what people were expecting by using unfair comparison.

He only played 2 and half season at Chelsea and played 3 and half season at United. And there are only a little difference between their number of goals and Mata made more assists in Chelsea than what he has done at United. (I also don't wanna hear you saying that there are not many top players around him at United. Chelsea wasn't full with very good attackers and midfields either when Mata was at the club, even during the season when they won CL they finished outside top 4)

Him being a leading scorer due to spend more seasons than the others like Rashford, Martial, Lukaku and Mkhy don't justify enough to call it as impressive.

If people expect him to be just backup quality, I think he has done what he was supposed to be. But if people like me who expect him to be the one who step up to perform like an actual top player then he hasn't done it and he's already 29 years old.

prtk0811

This type of thread does not make any sense. Each player have their own worth in the team.

Web of Bissaka

Someone else go.

Currently,
Mata and Blind are model professional and always give solid contributions. Sell them after they start to decline maybe after 2-3 seasons.
Martial is young and high potential, send him out on loan for game times if necessary.

Red_toad

Would rather keep Martial if he can rediscover his form. I don't see Blind leaving as he's so versatile. Mata could struggle to get games.

Zed 101

Like all three.... would have to be Mata though, Blind too useful as a utility defender come midfielder, Martial has bags of room to improve and the talent to do so... Mata will see increasingly less and less game time if we sign a right winger. He is rarely played in his best position, that said would not want to see him go unless he wanted out to retunr to Spain, he is a very good option to have

lysglimt

Scout
None has to go luckily. But if I had to pick one - Mata.

Martial has too much potential - Blind is a brilliant utility player - while Mata is 29, lacks a bit of pace which will be all the more important in his position. But no - no need for any of those to go

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Blind>>>>>Mata>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Martial

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Martial, no doubt. Was fecking useless last season. Sulky little cnut. Didn't look any good when he did get his chances. Blind and Mata are by contrast, extremely useful and didn't sulk once when dropped.
Martial was simply not good enough last year, nearly as bad as Nani.

Smoking_Owl

Account closed by request: 23/11/17
I'm shocked at the amount of people who would gladly see Mata leave.

You'll be hard pressed to find a player of his quality and consistent output that's prepared to be a squad player.

He had a better season than Mkhitaryan last year.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Why these 3? 3 different positions. Your poll makes no sense to me.
My thoughts exactly.
And why not Fellaini? Or Smalling. Or Young. Or Lingard.
Why have you chosen 3 players who get regular game time and for various reasons are important to our squad?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought all the "Jose doesn't fancy Mata" stuff would be gone by now... just look at all the stuff each have said about each other over the last year.

Giggsy92

Wouldn't be surprised to see Blind offloaded soon. I don't rate Mata as highly as some do but he's obviously a good option to have in the squad even if I can't see him nailing down a long-term starting spot.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Mata should be sold this summer. During his time here, our attack has been at its weakest since the early Ferguson years. I still don't understand why we bought Mata in the first place.

He's now 29. His deal runs until 2018. To give him a new contract would be ridiculous, though a long way from being the most stupid thing we've done in recent years.
During his time here, we've also more often then not looked at our most fluid/best when he's been on the pitch... and we've looked worse when he doesn't play.

Personally I don't think either are completely linked to Mata, but I don't think you can say Mata is the reason our attack has been at it's weakest... their are numerous factors involved.

padotido

They play different position, its irrelevant in think..
Blind is versatile ( O'shea 2.0 )
Mata has good vision
Martial is strong, skillful, pace, touch

LoneStar

First of all, they play in different postions. So I don't get the comparison. But if I had to choose one of them, it would have to be Mata. Love the guy, and he has had some great moments ( The Liverpool goal comes into mind). But let's look at the other two :

1) Martial : Martial has the ability to become a special player. He is very young and had a very good first season. The main reason why he didn't play well the last season was because of the tactics employed. He struggled with the increased work rate expected from him, and criticism from Jose didn't do him any good. But on his day, he can be very deadly if used right. Wether he'll get that chance here or prove it somewhere, I don't know. But I'd definitely wait until the end of the coming season to decide.

2) Blind : Blind is essential to the team because he can play a number of positions (CB,LB and CDM), and play them well. He's happy being a squad player and every good team needs such a player who can fill in multiple positions when needed and play well too. Considering our injury woes at CB and also LB (shaw gets injured too much for my liking) and also the fact that we don't have a lot of cover in midfield, he could be a very important team member (albeit a squad player).

So out of the three, Mata would have to go. He's not really a winger. He's increased his work rate and tracking back a lot, but I don't think it's up to Mourinho standards. Also we have a similar player in Mikhitaryan. Assuming we buy Griezmann next summer, he would go even down the order even more.

Miscemayl

Can't see any reason to sell any of them but if I had to choose, Blind.

Mata was our second highest scorer last season despite sending a chunk of it injured.

Martial had a bad season but the talent is obvious.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
TBH we haven't made enough signings for this to be a viable discussion at this point. If there are no further signings, I'd keep them all at this point.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Only speculation of course and i wouldn't want any of them to leave. We are looking to improve, and we won't do that getting rid of valued and reliable squad players.

But, objectively I would probably sell Martial with a buy back clause. He just hasn't been up to much really, despite me really wanting him to do better, and I think bringing in Perisic will severely limit his opportunities. Blind is an excellent utility player, and Mata was our second top scorer last season, probably one of our more creative too, can play in a few different positions, as well as bein our only true #10, plus he understands he isn't going to play in every match.

Martial plays one position and not even that effectively. So we don't get much from him really. Poor goal return, doesn't put in much of a shift, and isn't exactly creating assists for teammates. He is also the only one who would be actually worth selling. Selling Mata for 15m is pointless, we would lose far more than we would gain. Same goes for Blind really.

Not in the thread i know, but i would personally rather sell Lingard before any of those mentioned.

Shark

@NotShark
It's baffling to me why anyone would want to sell Mata. He pops up with goals and assists when needed, yet some fans don't seem to realize that. Last season we would have finished even lower in both goals and points without him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Would sell martial and keep blind and Mata.

diarm

Mata for me. I like him and think he's very talented but I just don't see how he fits into the way we play football, either historically or recently. He's also just a bit too nice for me to truly believe in.

Blind is an important squad player for me. In Fergies successful sides, we always had squad players who could come in and consistently give a 7/10 performance when needed. Blind offers that in 3 different positions and when you're Manchester United and between 50 and 75% of your defence is injured at any given time, that is crucial.

Martial is gifted and has just come through his difficult second season. Throwing away the investment we've made in him before he properly flourishes would be total stupidity.

Champagne Football

If the money on offer was good for the club then all 3 could be flogged at anytime. Blind is a handy squad player so will stay.

Martial utterly wasted on the wing so should seek a move to Monaco or Roma etc. I'd say Jose and Ed are desperate to get rid of him but might not be anyone willing to pay £30 million for him and the likes of Roma will try to get him on loan which Ed will probably refuse.

Mata will be a handy squad player and De Gea and Herrera idolize him so he's worth keeping for that alone. His positive personality can only be healthy for the dressing room. He will probably leave on a free contract in a year as no way he's getting any extention so for another season he'll be handy to have for league cup games etc to give other players a rest.

Last edited:

TheForgottenOne

Blind was our first choice CB at the start of the season, then lost his place. He got a run at LB, then lost his place (to a fecking right-back played out of position). The only reason he wasn't frozen out completely is because of our injury crisis at CB. But that's been addressed with Lindelof.

I can't help but feel that Lindelof is the ball-playing CB that's come in to take Blind's place in the squad. As such, Blind's the least necessary option of the 3.
Agree completely. Started first choice CB due to Smalling injury ofcourse, so was 3th in line for CB to me. Dropped when Smalling returned and passed by Jones and Rojo when Smalling and Bailly got injured. With Lindelof there now, he would basicly be 6th option at best. Would be silly to keep someone of that age and value as 6th option, as Tuanzebe of TFM can easily take that spot.

LB same story. Shaw got injured and Blind moved in as nr 2 for LB. Then got passed by Darmian on more and more occassions, meaning he dropped to 3th choice.
Considering he currently has a decent value, I would sell him right away if possible. With de Boer and Koeman, there are 2 Dutch managers who might be interested in him as well.

I'd like to see a natural LB with the potential to be a long term LB for United on his spot, rather than holding on to a player who is decent as 3th or 4th option at best at multiple positions. Give those spots to talented players youngsters. Tuanzebe, TFM at center back and Mitchell (or new player) at LB.