If Ronaldo joins who'll take penalties?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Bruno has (or at least had) a better conversion rate on penalties than Ronaldo, albeit from a smaller sample size. Having him take them ahead of Ronaldo is generally perfectly reasonable. He's typically very good at them.

The issue is that one is likely a lot more confident than the other at the moment and that perhaps should have effected who took this particular penalty.

But misses happen. It's much less of an issue than the general standard of his performances recently.

SirAF

Ageist
Bruno has (or at least had) a better conversion rate on penalties than Ronaldo, albeit from a smaller sample size. Having him take them ahead of Ronaldo is generally perfectly reasonable. He's typically very good at them.

The issue is that one is likely a lot more confident than the other at the moment and that perhaps should have effected who took this particular penalty.

But misses happen. It's much less of an issue than the general standard of his performances recently.
It really isn’t.

binary bot
I don't really care who takes them, but you need a definitive penalty taker. Jumping from player to player adds to the pressure.

AFC NimbleThumb

If Ronaldo is at your club he takes the penalties, end of. Add to that Bruno’s poor form that was one of the most selfish decisions I’ve seen a United player make.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It really isn’t.
He literally had a better conversion rate, after a good sample size of penalties. Generally opting for the person who puts away the bigger portion of their penalties is a pretty reasonable way of picking penalty takers.

The_Midfielder

If Ronaldo is at your club he takes the penalties, end of. Add to that Bruno’s poor form that was one of the most selfish decisions I’ve seen a United player make.
Ronaldo missed a penalty against Villa didn't he ?

players have missed penalties before and will ne misisng penalties..
The bigger question is how can we make Bruno play better ?

SirAF

Ageist
He literally had a better conversion rate, after a good sample size of penalties. Generally opting for the person who puts away the bigger portion of their penalties is a pretty reasonable way of picking penalty takers.
You have the greatest player of all time, who also happens to be a very good penalty taker - especially in high pressure situations. It goes without saying he should be first, I don’t care if Fernandes have a marginal better stat from a smaller sample size.

AFC NimbleThumb

Ronaldo missed a penalty against Villa didn't he ?

players have missed penalties before and will ne misisng penalties..
The bigger question is how can we make Bruno play better ?
Ronaldo missed penalties of course but the never wavering confidence he has makes him an optimal penalty taker. We’ve seen him play crap then take a penalty like he’s been great all game. Bruno looked edgy prior to taking it so how about you let Ronnie step up.

Idxomer

You should never make anyone else take penalties while Ronaldo is on the pitch, especially a mental midget like Bruno.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Bruno is the third best penalty taker at the club for me. No clue why he's taking that.

Xanther

Frustrating. If Ronaldo is at your club, he takes your penalties. What the hell is Bruno there for. This is a key moment in an important game vs a direct rival, this is strictly Ronaldo territory, not anybody else.

I hope ten Hag recognises this, Ronnie sticks around next season, and Bruno is given some serious restriction with regards to how he thinks on the pitch, what decisions he makes and how involved he is in certain phases of play. He has ability but he needs to be heavily stripped of some behaviours and mindsets.

Another point, if Ronaldo shoots and scores that penalty, it becomes 2-2 with Ronaldo on the verge of another hat-trick. Anyone see any other sequence of following events, other than Ronaldo being motivated to score a 3rd and win the game? It was there for the taking.

If he took it because Ronaldo has had a bad week, then all is forgiven.

Last edited:

Statue of Limitations

Me and my dad just looked at each other when we saw Bruno stepping up, we kinda knew he would feck it up.

CR7 is the one person I would bet my life taking a pen on, ridiculous.

steffyr2

Just saying it’s a bad week for Ronaldo, maybe he didn’t feel up to it.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
This is so nonsensical. If I take 1 penalty and score it I have a 100% conversion rate. Should I take them ahead of Ronaldo, someone who’s taken them throughout his career and has a great conversion rate? He’s taken them in CL finals, in some of the biggest pressure games.

IhabX7

Some penalties aren’t about conversion rate. feck this stat driven fandom. Some penalties need a stronger personality. And Ronaldo dwarfs Bruno in this regard.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This is so nonsensical. If I take 1 penalty and score it I have a 100% conversion rate. Should I take them ahead of Ronaldo, someone who’s taken them throughout his career and has a great conversion rate? He’s taken them in CL finals, in some of the biggest pressure games.
Think you missed the "after a good sample size of penalties" part of that sentence.

Ralph1386

You should never make anyone else take penalties while Ronaldo is on the pitch, especially a mental midget like Bruno.
Replay on French TV shows Ronaldo asked Bruno to take the penalty.
Honestly these things should have been decided with Ragnick before the game not during the game.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I think with Bruno being captain he over rules him and wanted a goal himself. It should of been decided before the game that Ronaldo takes pens.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Think he's missed 3 of his last 10 though...

I've lost confidence in Bruno taking them to be honest... Doesn't give me the same confidence as Ronaldo.

Xanther

‘Good’ sample size? How many penalties do you think Ronaldo has taken in his career?
By laws of mathematics/statistics, at some number the number of penalties doesn't matter. Suppose, arbitrarily, that number is 50, then that would mean that whether you've taken 50 penalties or 5000, there is enough evidence in your sample to describe your performance accurately.

I'm assuming Bruno's taken enough now for it to be understood that he's a good penalty taker, but maybe there isn't enough in the sample concerning important penalties (like today, in a pivotal moment against a direct rival in the thick of a top 4 race) in particular. There, is Ronaldo's advantage.

Lecland07

Fernandes had a great conversion rate. Since he was removed as the main taker, he seems to have lost all his confidence in taking them.

It was a strange decision back then.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
‘Good’ sample size? How many penalties do you think Ronaldo has taken in his career?
The issue would be how many penalties Bruno has taken, not how many Ronaldo has taken. If he's taken enough then Ronaldo taking more doesn't matter, you still have enough information to determine who is better at converting penalties to a certain degree of accuracy.

How big a sample size would be needed, someone better than me at maths might be able to say.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
By laws of mathematics/statistics, at some number the number of penalties doesn't matter. Suppose, arbitrarily, that number is 50, then that would mean that whether you've taken 50 penalties or 5000, there is enough evidence in your sample to describe your performance accurately.

I'm assuming Bruno's taken enough now for it to be understood that he's a good penalty taker, but maybe there isn't enough in the sample concerning important penalties (like today, in a pivotal moment against a direct rival in the thick of a top 4 race) in particular. There, is Ronaldo's advantage.
The issue would be how many penalties Bruno has taken, not how many Ronaldo has taken. If he's taken enough then Ronaldo taking more doesn't matter, you still have enough information to determine who is better at converting penalties to a certain degree of accuracy.

How big a sample size would be needed, someone better than me at maths might be able to say.
A sample size of 150-200 with a 90% conversion rate is always better than a sample rate of 23 with a 95% conversion rate. That’s the point.

A sample size of 150-200 with a 90% conversion rate is always better than a sample rate of 23 with a 95% conversion rate. That’s the point.
It's actually a sample size of 172 vs 47 (double the number you're quoting), with success rates of 83% and 89%.

Fernandes also has a better record if you want to compare his entire career tally with Ronaldo's last 47 penalties (Ronaldo's success rate over that period is 82%, compared to his career average of 83%... which is the actual point both people you quoted were making and you either ignored or didn't understand. Sample sizes don't matter as much beyond a certain threshold ).

Ronaldo is obviously a very good penalty taker. Fernandes is better.

Think he's missed 3 of his last 10 though...
So has Ronaldo. That's about par for the course considering the average penalty success rate is ~70%.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Fernandes had a great conversion rate. Since he was removed as the main taker, he seems to have lost all his confidence in taking them.

It was a strange decision back then.
He loss it after his terrible penalty miss against Villa. Since then, this is the first time he took it again, if I am not wrong.