If the SL fails/ goes through [Ownership thread]

Interval

Level
Which club will fold first either of bankruptcy or with their owners.bailing on the club.

I think Barca will need a Govt bail out
FSG and Kroenke will sell and run
Inter will definitely fold or get sold
Juve might have issues

I the for the Spanish and Italian clubs, this is a do or die roll of dice

If it does go through, I can see some rich bugger buying Ajax or Valencia to turn them over to the SL

I think the long term implications are pretty bad either ways. If it doesn't go through, UEFA is, as per reports, looking for financing to up the pot for everyone to stay. All this excessive debt financing (both in the SL case and in UCL case) spells future trouble. At the end of the day, the source of money is the same... Fans with ability to watch live. The future projections which broadcasters will be forced to make on viewership will never materialise to the extent they're paying. And when there isn't enough revenue, the debt taken by the governing body will be left unpaid.

Any other clubs that might face an ownership rehaul in the next 2 years?

DoomSlayer

The clubs need to be allowed to fall and be rebuilt back up with time. These parasites that own the 12 "super" clubs need binning off the Earth, let alone football.

Interval

Level
Genuinely think that Spanish and Italian clubs may fold. Barca are my top pick followed by Inter

People underestimate the role of their current financial predicament in this

If every player took an (arbitrary figure) 25% pay cut. Instead of increasing revenues, reducing costs - does that not have the same effect?

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Genuinely think that Spanish and Italian clubs may fold. Barca are my top pick followed by Inter

People underestimate the role of their current financial predicament in this
Whats the situation with Messi? Is he staying beyond this season? If not then that would be a massive wage cut from the books of Barca and they may not have as much financial difficulty as is being forecasted.

Interval

Level
If every player took an (arbitrary figure) 25% pay cut. Instead of increasing revenues, reducing costs - does that not have the same effect?
It won't because players won't do that. There is a problem with PL clubs and oil money clubs actually having the money to pay them current rates. So they'll want to up and move.

More importantly, with the lack of ticketing revenues, there is a liquidity problem staring at these clubs. They will just plain run out cash unless someone gives them a big loan.

The best they can hope for is ticket sales pre booking but that will only help slightly.

Interval

Level
Whats the situation with Messi? Is he staying beyond this season? If not then that would be a massive wage cut from the books of Barca and they may not have as much financial difficulty as is being forecasted.
Messi is only a part of the problem for them. They'll have to move him on unceremoniously. Then use that as a tool to convince banks to give them more money to stabilise things. And then slowly pay off the debt they've already accumulated.

Either ways, without the SL inflow, their free wheeling days are done. Spainish clubs are done for

Josep Dowling

I have no sympathy for Barcelona or Real Madrid. They have both been bailed out once and looking back over the last 15 years have spent beyond their means to dominate the major trophies. Even this season, knowing they could get back at least £200m from Messi leaving, they didn’t sell him. That’s incredibly poor management.

The only reason United are in trouble is because of the debt dumped on to them by the owners. Let’s not deny United could be in huge trouble as well here. Our debt isn’t going down in a time where we cannot generate more revenue from match day ticket sales and sponsorship deals are likely to reduce as well.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Messi is only a part of the problem for them. They'll have to move him on unceremoniously. Then use that as a tool to convince banks to give them more money to stabilise things. And then slowly pay off the debt they've already accumulated.

Either ways, without the SL inflow, their free wheeling days are done. Spainish clubs are done for
Madrid and Barca were the ones who decided they'd take a large chunk of their TV money for themselves, weakening their own leagues as a result. feck them both.

largelyworried

I really think this is something that our owners have been planning for a while. I think this is why they wanted to avoid selling the club before, because going it alone and getting a better set of TV rights as a result would pump the club's value for one final sale. However now that it's over - and we wont see it resurrected for a while - United is not going to have any sort of step increase in value anytime soon. If they were ever thinking of a sale, now is the time to start the ball rolling. After all, why bother taking a few measly tens of millions a year when you could sell the entire thing for £2-4Bn?

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!

I am just spitballing here as unlike you I am not an expert on finance matters and have not looked at the finances of these clubs.

Hazarding a guess here but the current financial climate ought to make clubs look at selling stadium naming rights for limited time.