If there is slight contact but you massively exaggerate it, should it count as a dive?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Slight contact, no.

The question is rather, if there is contact that is actually a foul, that inhibits the action you were taking with the ball, but you aren't necessarily knocked over, should you go down in such a case, given that referees generally don't blow fouls when players stay on their feet?

I'd say yes to that. It's not ideal, but the onus here is on the refs to referee these incidents properly.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yes, very much so. If you act at all, you should get a yellow. People going down screaming after being grazed by a pinky deserve a red even. It's so fecking pathetic.

diarm

I think the biggest problem in the game is that the refs either call the foul or the dive. They don't call both and I think they should. For example, in hockey (yes I'm Canadain) if a guy hooks another player but it's not enough to trip him but the player takes a dive anyways, the ref gives one penalty to the guy who hooked him and he gives a penalty to the guy who dives. So why not do the same thing in football? There are times when a player takes a dive but there was also a foul. So give the free kick for the foul but also give a yellow card for diving...
This is a great point and we should see more of it.

SadlerMUFC

Not sure how it works in hockey, but the problem with this in football is that hypothetically (and it has happened, quite a bit...), the original penalty for the tackle/foul would never be given if the player doesn't go down (often theatrically to draw attention).

VAR should ideally rectify this - i.e. if a player is fouled, even if he doesn't go down (and tries to stay on his feet), a foul/penalty should be called. The problem is then phases of play...
Yes, the refs definitely play their part too. They need to start calling fouls when a player doesn't go down...

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Im obviously on one side here. But oppo fans do you really think the delefeou one was a pen ?
For what its worth i dont think the son one was either.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If the contact does nothing to negatively impact your ability to continue your action, then to go down is a dive. However, if its enough that it would put you at a disadvantage, but you could still remain on your feet, going down is probably the right thing to do for your team and it's even encouraged by fellow players. Neville confirmed as much a few years ago, he even said that referees would subtly encourage it to make their jobs easier.
Remember a game against Liverpool some 13-14 years ago, back in Ruud days. He was fouled in the box, I think it was by Hyypia, but refused to go down. He lost the ball and did not get a foul. If he goes down in that situation, we would have 100% got a penalty but they are almost never given unless you are on the floor. I think I can't remember a single penalty that was given despite player staying on their feet, even if the foul clearly obstructed their ability to score.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Of course. I think obvious dives should be harshly punished so that players might think twice about going down because they were slighlty touched. Football would be better to watch if it weren't for all these situations where players make up the contact in order to dive.

Feels like the majority of penalties this season have not been penalties really but the video showed that there was slight contact and therefor not a clear an obvious error etc.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Remember a game against Liverpool some 13-14 years ago, back in Ruud days. He was fouled in the box, I think it was by Hyypia, but refused to go down. He lost the ball and did not get a foul. If he goes down in that situation, we would have 100% got a penalty but they are almost never given unless you are on the floor. I think I can't remember a single penalty that was given despite player staying on their feet, even if the foul clearly obstructed their ability to score.
Gerrard got one like that vs charlton years back. Only one i can remember.

Swarlos

Supports
Lyn FK, Liverpool
I think there are a couple of aspects to this.

The refs have pretty much set a precedence of never giving a pen unless a player goes to ground. This results in a lot of incidents where penalties should have been awarded, but the ref misses it. This leads to a mentality where players go down easier in the box. Why would a player fight to stay on his feet when you receive feck all for it most of the time?

The thing that complicates this is that it's pretty hard to determine how much of an impact any contact has. Armchair judges view the replays in slow motion and determine they barely made contact and call it diving, but even the slightest contact can get you off balance in tight situations. People will always be biased towards the team they follow, making it hard to judge fairly. VAR have probably made it easier if applied correctly, and this needs to be taken advantage of. I don't think it will stop before players can actually get pens without going down.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Going down easily is a tetchy topic, some are in favour while other prefer it to come gradually as the play progresses. It does seem that those that don't go down at all are not popular but going down often is frowned upon also. The FA needs to issue a protocol for going down so young players know when the moment is right.