If there is slight contact but you massively exaggerate it, should it count as a dive?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by sullydnl, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Nov 4, 2019

B20 HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Slight contact, no.

The question is rather, if there is contact that is actually a foul, that inhibits the action you were taking with the ball, but you aren't necessarily knocked over, should you go down in such a case, given that referees generally don't blow fouls when players stay on their feet?

I'd say yes to that. It's not ideal, but the onus here is on the refs to referee these incidents properly.
  2. Nov 4, 2019

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Yes, very much so. If you act at all, you should get a yellow. People going down screaming after being grazed by a pinky deserve a red even. It's so fecking pathetic.
  3. Nov 4, 2019

diarm Full Member

This is a great point and we should see more of it.
  4. Nov 4, 2019

SadlerMUFC Full Member

Yes, the refs definitely play their part too. They need to start calling fouls when a player doesn't go down...
  5. Nov 4, 2019

Pow Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Im obviously on one side here. But oppo fans do you really think the delefeou one was a pen ?
    For what its worth i dont think the son one was either.
  6. Nov 4, 2019

Sarni nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Remember a game against Liverpool some 13-14 years ago, back in Ruud days. He was fouled in the box, I think it was by Hyypia, but refused to go down. He lost the ball and did not get a foul. If he goes down in that situation, we would have 100% got a penalty but they are almost never given unless you are on the floor. I think I can't remember a single penalty that was given despite player staying on their feet, even if the foul clearly obstructed their ability to score.
  7. Nov 4, 2019

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Of course. I think obvious dives should be harshly punished so that players might think twice about going down because they were slighlty touched. Football would be better to watch if it weren't for all these situations where players make up the contact in order to dive.

Feels like the majority of penalties this season have not been penalties really but the video showed that there was slight contact and therefor not a clear an obvious error etc.
  8. Nov 4, 2019

Pow Full Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Gerrard got one like that vs charlton years back. Only one i can remember.
  9. Nov 4, 2019

Denis' cuff Full Member

It would be a Liverpool player. Some of his antics were amongst the worst I’ve seen.
  10. Nov 7, 2019

Swarlos New Member

Supports:
    Lyn FK, Liverpool
    I think there are a couple of aspects to this.

The refs have pretty much set a precedence of never giving a pen unless a player goes to ground. This results in a lot of incidents where penalties should have been awarded, but the ref misses it. This leads to a mentality where players go down easier in the box. Why would a player fight to stay on his feet when you receive feck all for it most of the time?

The thing that complicates this is that it's pretty hard to determine how much of an impact any contact has. Armchair judges view the replays in slow motion and determine they barely made contact and call it diving, but even the slightest contact can get you off balance in tight situations. People will always be biased towards the team they follow, making it hard to judge fairly. VAR have probably made it easier if applied correctly, and this needs to be taken advantage of. I don't think it will stop before players can actually get pens without going down.
  11. Nov 7, 2019

DavidDeSchmikes Full Member

he is entitled to go down
    :mad:
  12. Nov 8, 2019 at 21:12

jeff gurr New Member

Supports:
    Leicester City
    Going down easily is a tetchy topic, some are in favour while other prefer it to come gradually as the play progresses. It does seem that those that don't go down at all are not popular but going down often is frowned upon also. The FA needs to issue a protocol for going down so young players know when the moment is right.