If we are not getting Pedro because of Januzaj/Perreira etc...

criticalanalysis

Just gonna drop what I wrote the morning before the game against Brugges:

I know it might be blasphemous to say but I kind of hope we don't bring any new players in. I want to see our players grow, struggle and get chance after chance for 1 whole year. It would mean LVG would have to count on them and maybe it might bring the team tighter and we find a truly cohesive playing style that everyone is comfortable with.

Let's play the kids I say. Bringing in another striker/centre back might bring delusions of grandeur and we may struggle with that pressure to perform whilst still learning even more new team mates and trying to adjust to the 'process'. If we get top 4, any 'hurt' of not achieving more would be more fuel for the fire for LVG's 3rd year. The foundation is strong already within this squad, adding more is just because we can and that adds another set of problems imo.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
@criticalanalysis I sort of, vaguely agree with that.

I think @Pogue Mahone (?) made a post a couple weeks back about the negative affects of wholesale changes, and I very much agree with this half remembered, half imagined post. I distinctly remember last night's commentator saying only 2 players in our line up started our last European win, and only 3 played in that campaign. That was only 2 years ago, which means we've got 8 players in our prospective first XI who've been at senior level here for no more than 2 years. That's already quite mental. It makes Mata our second most senior starter in the front 5, and I still consider him new.

We saw last year how buying a whole new team has it's pitfalls, and inevitably needs time and patience. Changing everything again (which Pedro inevitably would, outsting either Mata, Januzaj or Young) doesn't seem like a rationally sensible idea. Especially for those complaining about how long it's taken our current, still very new team to gell. We've alreay sold two potentially WC players we only bought last summer. Is buying more of them really a better stopgap than working with what we have?

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
@criticalanalysis I sort of, vaguely agree with that.

I think @Pogue Mahone (?) made a post a couple weeks back about the negative affects of wholesale changes, and I very much agree with this half remembered, half imagined post. I distinctly remember last night's commentator saying only 2 players in our line up started our last European win, and only 3 played in that campaign. That was only 2 years ago, which means we've got 8 players in our prospective first XI who've been at senior level here for no more than 2 years. That's already quite mental. It makes Mata our second most senior starter in the front 5, and I still consider him new.

We saw last year how buying a whole new team has it's pitfalls, and inevitably needs time and patience. Changing everything again (which Pedro inevitably would, outsting either Mata, Januzaj or Young) doesn't seem like a rationally sensible idea. Especially for those complaining about how long it's taken our current, still very new team to gell. We've alreay sold two potentially WC players we only bought last summer. Is buying more of them really a better stopgap than working with what we have?
Yeah, that was a real post. Shortly before I lost my shit over a disjointed, sluggish and boring season opener. You'd think I might have put more credence in my own theory, right?

I'm really pleased with the progress since then and happy with where we're going. Working with what we've got makes a lot of sense, considering how much more enjoyable/satisfying it is to watch youngsters develop into stars than it is to sign household names and hope they don't "do a Di Maria". We've some exciting young talents at the club. Time to honour the traditions of the club and show a bit of faith in them.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
I'm all for Pereira getting a chance as 1 of the attacking 3 behind Rooney. He really impressed on the tour.

Mali_Zeus

I'm all for giving Pereira and Januzaj chances to shine and it seems they'll get it.
On the other hand is it wise to depend on to shine them every week and in CL too?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Is he injured?
Don't think so. In Van Gaal's post-game presser on Tuesday night he mentioned that Pereira is good enough to play in the first team. I think he's in contention. I am guessing he hasn't been in match day squads simply because we are pretty stacked squad wise. Our bench on Tuesday night was the best its been for years.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Don't think so. In Van Gaal's post-game presser on Tuesday night he mentioned that Pereira is good enough to play in the first team. I think he's in contention. I am guessing he hasn't been in match day squads simply because we are pretty stacked squad wise. Our bench on Tuesday night was the best its been for years.
Oh right. I was just thinking, if he was in our plans for a first team place he would have been playing already, or at least on the bench. So I doubt he is a factor in us not getting Pedro. I think it is simply a case of Pedro choosing Chelsea, possibly over his misgivings about LVG.

pacifictheme

No, you need a blend. But our squad overall is far more experienced than the '93 squad. Which had kids in almost every position. The names I mentioned are really only competing for two, at most three, positions in our best XI.
You mean the 95-96 squad surely? 93 was a pretty grizzled group.

I'd also say the 95 96 team had plenty of experience. Obviously it did have plenty of "kids" though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995–96_Manchester_United_F.C._season

Glanville95

We've let, what many deemed, a world-class player go and look unlikely to replace him. That doesn't sit well with me. Even if he was performing to a poor standard, there's always the possibility he would have been a sensation this year after he adapts to England and really integrates into the team. Potentially, that's what we missed out on.

Pedro was the perfect replacement, would suit the team down to a tee and doesn't cost a fortune. I'm mystified if van Gaal really isn't convinced by him. We arguably need an extra wide player anyway and definitely an injection of pace, as it looks like Januzaj will play #10 and Mata has his shortcomings out wide.

Would signing Pedro, directly effect Pereira and Januzaj that much? I think it's a bad decision personally, but if the reports of interest in Mane are true, I'd rather we didn't sign anyone.

FacerTheRed

I'm all for giving Pereira and Januzaj chances to shine and it seems they'll get it.
On the other hand is it wise to depend on to shine them every week and in CL too?
It's a huge gamble but a gamble i can live with, LVG has always depended on youths so i'm happy he's keeping that tradition. It's disappointing to not get Pedro but cant start whining really. I would of loved Pedro at United but if the manager feels he doesnt need him and thinks the youth he can fill that role then fair enough, we have to trust in the manager. I do share the concerns you have though in terms of UCL though, how i see united dont have the fire power to hurt teams like Madrid or Barcelona.

So i'm still hoping LVG is seeking more depth in offensive positions, with the Mane bid came out of no where it seems there looking for a player that offers pace and become a different option to Mata. Just have to wait till deadline day.

Mali_Zeus

We've let, what many deemed, a world-class player go and look unlikely to replace him. That doesn't sit well with me. Even if he was performing to a poor standard, there's always the possibility he would have been a sensation this year after he adapts to England and really integrates into the team. Potentially, that's what we missed out on.

Pedro was the perfect replacement, would suit the team down to a tee and doesn't cost a fortune. I'm mystified if van Gaal really isn't convinced by him. We arguably need an extra wide player anyway and definitely an injection of pace, as it looks like Januzaj will play #10 and Mata has his shortcomings out wide.

Would signing Pedro, directly effect Pereira and Januzaj that much? I think it's a bad decision personally, but if the reports of interest in Mane are true, I'd rather we didn't sign anyone.
That WC player didnt want to adapt to England and fight for his place.

Mali_Zeus

It's a huge gamble but a gamble i can live with, LVG has always depended on youths so i'm happy he's keeping that tradition. It's disappointing to not get Pedro but cant start whining really. I would of loved Pedro at United but if the manager feels he doesnt need him and thinks the youth he can fill that role then fair enough, we have to trust in the manager. I do share the concerns you have though in terms of UCL though, how i see united dont have the fire power to hurt teams like Madrid or Barcelona.

So i'm still hoping LVG is seeking more depth in offensive positions, with the Mane bid came out of no where it seems there looking for a player that offers pace and become a different option to Mata. Just have to wait till deadline day.
I dont know we should either get some very good (or a WC one but who?) winger or at least a good one who will add to our depth. We dont have a lot of choices up front and it's a concern.

Glanville95

That I agree with. I think we should get another good winger.
I can't proclaim to have seen a lot of him, but Griezmann would be a good option, though isn't he predominantly left-sided? I know he can play across all the forward positions, so his versatility could come in handy.

Mali_Zeus

I can't proclaim to have seen a lot of him, but Griezmann would be a good option, though isn't he predominantly left-sided? I know he can play across all the forward positions, so his versatility could come in handy.
He can play all 3 positions I think. He has a high buy out clause and as I understand even if we meet the clause it wouldnt go so straight forward. Maybe I'm wrong.

RedStarUnited

We needed a better start and cant afford to give youngsters a game just yet. He might get some minutes Vs Newcastle though.

Our midfield is now super packed, its going to be hard to break through that.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We needed a better start and cant afford to give youngsters a game just yet. He might get some minutes Vs Newcastle though.

Our midfield is now super packed, its going to be hard to break through that.
We have a ton of 'multi functional' players to use Van Gaal's language, that will limit Pereira's chances.

In that line of three behind the striker we could play any number of combinations. Would Pereira be ahead of Memphis, Mata, Januzaj or Smashley as a wide option? Would he be ahead of Memphis, Januzaj, Fellaini, Herrera or even Rooney (who dropped to #10 when Chico first came on against Bruges) at #10?

I think Van Gaal believes in him and I think he will get games but he may have to be patient. Could be case that until the Carling Cup begins we don't see Pereira. In a way that's a good thing as it speaks to the depth of our attacking options, which are not anywhere near as shallow as the post Pedro meltdown would suggest.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
He can play all 3 positions I think. He has a high buy out clause and as I understand even if we meet the clause it wouldnt go so straight forward. Maybe I'm wrong.
The only major issue would be the clause it stands at 80m euros. Griezemann is a united fan and I think he would come here if we went all out for him, but all depends on his situation at atletico and if he is happy there. Greizemann was watching our UCL match on Tuesday and even tweeted about a Rooney pass, so it's all possible.

0161_UNITED

Have to disagree with multiple points, here.

RE: Di Maria. He was shocking at the end and I feel we've missed out on nothing, there. We've moved on without him, and haven't skipped a beat. People say we need a replacement for Di Maria, like he contributed that much. By the end, he was an extremely expensive bench player who didn't want to play for United and desperately wanted to leave Manchester. He had no impact on the team and had lost his starting role to Ashley Young. After everything that has happened, especially the going AWOL part, how anyone thinks that another season of Di Maria might have worked out is baffling to me.

I don't think Pedro was perfect for United. He's 28 years old, and I think his best might be in the rear view. A 28 year old is not exactly a long term solution for injecting pace into a front line, IMO. Maybe in the short term, but I can fully understand the club being cautious, especially if they are thinking long term. I also think, if Pedro had his heart set on United, he'd be here. He could've refused Chelsea and held out for United. I think if he'd taken the stance of, "It's United or I stay at Barca, that's it" it would have said quite a bit.

"Would signing Pedro, directly effect Pereira and Januzaj that much?" I think it would, actually. I also think it could've affected Mata, too. Let's not forget, Pedro is leaving arguably the best side in Europe, because he wants to start and play more. If he ends up on the bench, or competing for playing time, he'll be asking what the point was of leaving Barca to begin with. He would come expecting to outright claim a spot. TBH, I think it's risky to take on a player who's leaving a great football side (better than United currently), if things aren't working, the player can get out of sorts quick (Point of reference: Di Maria, Angel). Mourinho subbing on Cuadrado was a masterstroke, too - that proved Pedro could take a spot at Chelsea.

I also think maybe we shouldn't put too much stock in the press, but there were articles about how Pedro had reservations about Van Gaal. That's a major risk for the club to make, if true. I certainly wouldn't want him here if he has reservations about LvG before stepping a foot into Carrington. I wouldn't want us to sign any player who has reservations about working with the manager - and that would include anyone from youth prospects to Ronaldo and Bale. Everyone knew LvG was and is a very decisive figure. He's rubbed quite a few people the wrong way, and made a lot of enemies along the way. I can't say I'm at all surprised that his methods and past may put some players off from United, I feel it was bound to happen, eventually.

"If the reports of interest in Mane are true, I'd rather we didn't sign anyone." Well, maybe. I'm a bit biased though because one of the Senegalese lads at work is always on about him when we chat about football, so I ended up paying a bit more attention to him. I think he's a exciting player, and at only 23 years old, can be an option for the long term. Good enough for United? Well, I trust LvG and our scouting department to make that determination.

Jammydodger7

Being left behind by the other teams is not something I particularly enjoy, don't know about you?

Don't get me wrong here I like Adnan and Pereira but using them as an excuse not to strengthen in an area we need to build is pathetic from the club IMO. Sounds exactly like what we heard when Fergie came out with 'no value' crap that left us in the mess we have been in.
How are we getting left behind? We finished 7th two seasons ago, 4th last season and have had a good start this season, if anything we're catching up with them. Adnan and Pereira are more than capable in that area of the field. We need a striker and a defender but if we don't sign them then it's not the glazers fault, it just means the ones LVG wanted weren't available.

RedAle

Not sure why this didn't get much attention in the press. I guess it's just not a good headline. But it's a much more logical explanation.

It never made sense to me that we would bench Mata in favour of Pedro for marginal gains. Is it not entirely possible that we wanted Pedro to play on the left to replace Young instead?

The emergence of Januzaj as a no. 10 means Depay plays on the left and therefore there's no room left to guarantee a starting place for Pedro. Therefore he doesn't want to come to sit on the bench.

jem

Sounds like an excuse we would use when the Glazers wouldn't spend any money and we had to make do with what we had.
Maybe so, but I'm all for giving Januzaj a chance to make the position his own. He's a very gifted player who has all the tools to become a star.

jem

We have options, though. Which is my point. Mata is first choice and seems to be getting better all the time. One of our best players so far this season. No worries at all for me about him as first choice. If he's injured/unavailable we do have other options. So we can manage.
Valencia is more of a right back these days, I don't think Van Gaal even considers him for the right wing spot anymore. Januzaj seems to really struggle on the wing under Van Gaal whenever played there as well, so I'm not sure on that one. And Young has always played on the left and Van Gaal likes his players cutting in. So I really don't see any of them as real options for the right apart from Januzaj, who is far better as the 10. Definitely still think we're short in there.
He is? I seem to remember his best performances two years ago coming from the wing.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He is? I seem to remember his best performances two years ago coming from the wing.
Even then I thought he was better as a 10 the few times he played, but he played most of the season on the wing. One of his best games was against Norwich in the cup I think where he played in the hole and had a great game, and even Moyes said then that his long term future is behind the striker. He just always looks more comfortable there, whereas on the wing he sometimes has great games but far too often goes missing or just does the wrong thing