g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

If You Were Nani Would You Return

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
...without being the starter? At this point in his career should he look to start at a slightly smaller club than ourselves rather than look to win a spot off the bench?

Especially if we bring in Depay or an even more expensive winger?

Smores

He sounds like he's well aware of the negative impact it had on him emotionally so no I wouldn't.

A few trophies surely doesn't outweigh not being happy at the club. I don't think our fans have done much to make him feel welcome.

Sid234

I haven't watched at Sporting but he seems to be doing well there.. I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to give his United career another shot. Depends on Van Gaal more thsn anything else, will be interesting what he decides to do with Nani, Henriquez and Hernandez

Jev

No, I wouldn't. Especially knowing I can do so much more with a football than the guys playing instead of me.

He's way too good for Sporting, though. Should go to a club like Valencia or Spurs.

pacifictheme

I haven't watched at Sporting but he seems to be doing well there.. I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to give his United career another shot. Depends on Van Gaal more thsn anything else, will be interesting what he decides to do with Nani, Henriquez and Hernandez

Of the three Nani is the most likely to stay. I thought Henriquez was already sold.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It's what you call a healthy breakup. We can't offer him what he needs right now and as such he won't be able to offer us what we need. I just hope we demand a proper fee.

hbgreg

Depends on his attitude, some players would love to sit on the bench and get paid 100k pounds a week to just train, others would take less to play somewhere more consistently.

I would.

LVG is an entirely different prospect to Moyes and he must feel he will get an opportunity to prove himself under a good manager who knows how to utilise him, and after the season he's had at Sporting he must fancy himself compared to what we currently have.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not a chance he will return if we buy Depay. If that's the strategy then we should be flogging Nani and Hernandez to Juventus to sweeten a potential Vidal or Pogba deal.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He needed fresh scenery and to play at a level where he stands out more often than not.

He'll always do well infrequently at United, but I'd go somewhere to play football every week and make my mark. Same opinion on Hernandez. Regardless of Falcao being shit, he'll always be the one who comes off the bench. They're both good enough to go play at a decent club that is pushing for CL football every year.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He might prefer being a big fish in a small pond, no disrespect to Sporting, and want to put his time here behind him.

Conversely, he might look at Young and Fellaini and believe he's kickstarted his career well enough to succeed given a second chance.

None of us can guess, but i'd love him back.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
We sold Henriquez.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I think he needs to have a chat with LVG.

LVG is known for being honest with players about their playing chance, squad status etc - so simply put, when the season finishes, LVG will have decided whether we are investing in a top quality winger (Bale or Sterling being my choices) or whether to bring Nani back, or both (though I doubt Nani would return to be a 3rd/4th choice winger).

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Why is every first letter of every word in the title in capitals? Really fecking annoying.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If I was Nani I wouldn't come back at all. The fresh start has obviously done him good and, after that, I wouldn't be keen to return to a club where my previous stay ultimately ended in disappointment. I'd be looking to move on and build up my career in a new area. I'd also be looking for a club where I'm nearly guaranteed to be a starter.

If I was him I'd also be worried about how I'd likely get on with Van Gaal. I wouldn't have thought Nani was LVG's type.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Bit crazy really, we aren't Nani, but I'd give it another shot, but I dont know his ambitions/ root of his problems last time so its hard to comment

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If I was Nani and had a second bite for playing with one of the top clubs in the world I think I'd take it!

Shimo

Possibly - LVG referred to him as a forward in pre-season and used him as one. If we are going to persist with the way we've played the last 2 games, then I think he fits in LVGs plans. The way the season started, the forward options we had and our wide play being wingbacks which he was not suited for, it made sense for him to look at other options. I don't think he needs to be assured of starting but, at least be told he'll figure heavily in the team.

Otherwise other than money, he should look for some place where he can just play football and enjoy it.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

This would probably mean that i would have spoken with van Gaal and he would have assured me that there's a place for me in the team but i would have to work hard and convince him that i deserve to start more often. Judging by what has happened this season during which players like Herrera, Fellaini or even Mata were benched for a lot of time but eventually found their way into the starting xi, it would not be an impossible task. Furthermore, we will have European games and we will also take our chances in both cups next season in order to win some silverware, so i would get enough playing time.

When it comes to Nani, the problem is not his skill and abilities, it's how well he can deal with the mental pressure of competing at top level. If he manages to stay composed, determined and improve his decision making in a way that will allow him to find his 2011-12 form, then he will be an essential part of this team. After all, he has lots of arrows in his quiver. He can dribble with both feet, he can either cross or cut inside and shoot from both wings and he can play some very neat one-twos in the final third.

Why not? It's unlikely that he will be offered a big contract by another prestigious club and even if he fails again, he will still be in his early 30's and with the option to return to Portugal wide open.

entropy

As much as I like Nani and his immense contribution to our club.Can we just move on from conversations such as "he should be given a chance prove himself under the new manager" or "he is still a better player than Valencia or young".It is high time we got rid of players from
Ferguson's era and focus on lvg's vision for our club.

justboy68

Why is every first letter of every word in the title in capitals? Really fecking annoying.
It is proper grammar to capitalise every word in a title, conjunctions aside. It gets a bit messy when you finish off the sentence in normal form in the post though.

Edit: If I were Nani, no I probably wouldn't return.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'd tell us to feck off in kinder words, if I'm not guaranteed a fair run of games ahead of Valencia and Young, and if an unproven winger in a not top league is preferred to me. No hard feelings.

Last edited:

Gannicus

Unless the pot is sweetened for him (but why would it be?) Nani would have no reason to come back to United. He would be wise to shop for a CL-contending club in Spain or Italy.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Not unusual for titles, especially if the thread starter is in university. Stylistically, it's standard fare for term papers.
It is proper grammar to capitalise every word in a title, conjunctions aside. It gets a bit messy when you finish off the sentence in normal form in the post though.
I stand corrected. Still annoying though! Doesn't look right.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I'd tell us to feck off in kinder words, if I'm not guaranteed a fair run of games ahead of Valencia and Young, and if an unproven winger in a top league is preferred to me. No hard feelings.
What if you were ahead of Young and Val?

He could beat out Depay, Januzaj or some other expensive new aquisition, of course. But he's in his prime, and he could be a clear first choice for a lot of quality team, in England and Europe.

ChrisG11

I'd definitely return. I mean, what was the point in being loaned to Sporting? If van Gaal felt Nani was not a player he could ever get any use out of, he would have been sold outright. He's been given the opportunity to get some form together and enjoy his football somewhere that he loves whilst the rest of our squad is sorted. As had been said, with van Gaals initial plans, he wasn't going to fit the system but I believe we were always going to transition to 433 at some stage.

He's at a point in his career where it's now or never. We've always sympathised with Nani when he's been out of the side and fantasised about the player he could become. Next season is his chance to be that player, and if he has any ambition then I think he'd relish that challenge. If it doesn't work out, there's nothing stopping him from moving elsewhere the season after where he could search for a place to enjoy his football.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'd definitely return. I mean, what was the point in being loaned to Sporting? If van Gaal felt Nani was not a player he could ever get any use out of, he would have been sold outright. He's been given the opportunity to get some form together and enjoy his football somewhere that he loves whilst the rest of our squad is sorted. As had been said, with van Gaals initial plans, he wasn't going to fit the system but I believe we were always going to transition to 433 at some stage.

He's at a point in his career where it's now or never. We've always sympathised with Nani when he's been out of the side and fantasised about the player he could become. Next season is his chance to be that player, and if he has any ambition then I think he'd relish that challenge. If it doesn't work out, there's nothing stopping him from moving elsewhere the season after where he could search for a place to enjoy his football.
Part of the Rojo deal, wasn't it? Plus that logic would presumably then extend to Hernandez and Cleverley too, which I definitely don't buy.

In reality I'd guess it wasn't going to be all that easy for us to get a decent fee from a buyer we were happy to sell to. After all, I'd imagine Nani was on pretty high wages here? Now that I think about it we also sent Anderson out on loan when we wanted to generate interest in him as well. Maybe this is just something we do now?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Depends. He's done well at Sporting and the manager knows that. His right wing spot is a position that isn't nailed down with the club. If he plays like that he will start for United and maybe he'll be told something like that.

I don't think Nani will make any declarations ahead of time. No point in saying you're leaving when there aren't bids yet. Could backfire.

ChrisG11

Part of the Rojo deal, wasn't it? Plus that logic would presumably then extend to Hernandez and Cleverley too, which I definitely don't buy.

In reality I'd guess it wasn't going to be all that easy for us to get a decent fee from a buyer we were happy to sell to. After all, I'd imagine Nani was on pretty high wages here? Now that I think about it we also sent Anderson out on loan when we wanted to generate interest in him as well. Maybe this is just something we do now?
Fair enough, I didn't realise that. Cleverley we did try and sell but Villa would only take on loan iirc so we didn't really have another choice if we wanted him out of the side.

I think loan deals can be done for numerous reasons. Players like Anderson and Cleverley weren't going to get much game time so loaning them out to other sides may be a better way to get them game time and sell them in a later window.

With Nani, it could be the same, but I genuinely believe we have other plans for Nani. I read somewhere a couple of months ago about Nani saying that he is in our plans next season, and I just believe under his current form it'd be stupid not to give him another shot, when we need wingers as well.

A possible theory I had for Hernandez is that we loaned Falcao in order to maximise the quality in our squad for this year to get top four, meaning Hernandez wouldn't get much game time. Next season, he could become a decent option again with Falcao unlikely to sign and van Persie seemingly beginning to regress. Alternatively, van Gaal just may not rate him, which is another possibility.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
A lot of people wrote Ashley Young off and he's had a good season for us this year. I don't see why the same couldn't happen to Nani. If we shift di Maria to midfield full time as we should, we'll have Young, Valencia, Januzaj and possibly Depay on the wing positions. Given that we could be back in the Champions League, there will be time for Nani to prove himself. If he screws up next season, he could always return to Sporting and finish his career there.

If we were to buy Bale, which I still don't believe, we could look at a different scenario though.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
What if you were ahead of Young and Val?

He could beat out Depay, Januzaj or some other expensive new aquisition, of course. But he's in his prime, and he could be a clear first choice for a lot of quality team, in England and Europe.
That's fair enough then. However with our retarded rotation policies, if another top team came in offering a first 11 spot, or otherwise guaranteed playing time in line with his/my talent and performances over the past 12 months, and similar money, then I'm taking it over United.

SirAF

Ageist
Definitely, he's not going to get a better club. So, I'd it another shot.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
@BringNaniBack , what's your opinion?
Thanks for informing me of this wonderful thread lol.

If I was Nani then yes I would return but I would see not being a starter as temporary, I wouldn't be happy to sit on the bench for the rest of my career.

I would be a little worried if he would get many games though, with the likes of Mata seemingly starting to nail down a spot on the right, with the likes of Di Maria here now and also with Young finding form, then we also have Januzaj, I would worry what space is left but then I would imagine Nani would think, that he is actually better than all of these players on his day and I agree; With the new manager in place and a somewhat fresh start after the loan period I would come back to United with the determination to prove myself.

Obviously there would need to be discussions with the manager as if we sign Depay or any other winger, as well as keeping Di Maria then I would want assurances I would be given chances otherwise I would move elsewhere.

I am biased because I have always been a Nani fan but at this stage of his career in what should be his prime coming into his late 20s I think it is worth a last shot at United, I don't think he would be happy to play out his career at a lower level and I cant see any other very big clubs signing him. If he finds form when he gets the chance then hopefully Van Gaal would give him a run of games. 4-3-3 is also the formation that suits Nani the best and he could be deadly either side of the striker, cutting in with either foot and shooting like a Hazard type inverted/false winger or going down the wing crossing like a traditional winger.

At the end of the day it all comes down to what Van Gaal thinks and if he was willing to give Nani another shot then he should go for it but to be honest I think the odds are stacked against Nani now and its more likely that he will have to move on. I hope im wrong.

Last edited:

NoPace

If I were Nani I'd probably look for a move. Too risky to come here and maybe wast one his last prime years without playing time. Wingers age quickly.

There are Champions League teams he could start for. Maybe Valencia, with their new money? Wolfsburg have cash too and he'd fit nicely there:

---------Dost---------
Schurrle-DeBruyne-Nani

Marseille, if they lose Ayew will need a winger opposite Thauvin. Not sure who else.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I made the argument earlier this season that some of these loan deals (Nani, Hernandez, possibly even Cleverley) were designed simply to trim down our squad for a year becsause we didn't need a big squad for this year.

I think it is possible that the plan was always to bring these players back once we had gotten back into the CL and needed that bigger squad again.