IFAB to extend five substitutes rule to cover all of 2020-21 season

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Where are the posters who argued whole heartedly that this doesn’t benefit the big clubs?

Ace of Spades

Still an awful lot stronger than most of the sides in the league.

In your last game you brought on 5 players who cost more than £100 million. You'd imagine next season that your bench is also going to be even better.
Well, we have overpaid on a lot of players so not a fair measure of the actual quality of the squad. Some of the players won't look out of place in relegation battling teams. In fact, some of those players playing for those relegation teams will be a huge improvement on our bench options.

As for next season, yeah the expectation is that we get a couple of good signings in but nothing is certain yet. So far it has just been nothing but rumours, unlike you who have actually bought 2 new players already.

NinjaFletch

What games do people feel have been changed by a side making 5 subs as opposed to 3 since the restart?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What games do people feel have been changed by a side making 5 subs as opposed to 3 since the restart?
BigDunc9 said it himself where you've brought on Pogba/Martial/Matic/Rashford/Greenwood/Williams in the Fa Cup against Norwich. That's a huge disaparity in quality to anything that Norwich could muster in terms of 3, let alone the extra 3 that are permitted because of this and the ET rule. It made it far more difficult for Norwich to win that game.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Been advocating reducing the number of subs and size of bench for a long time so this is bollocks to me. Would much rather have 2 on the bench with both allowed to come on, or 3 on the bench with 2 or 3 allowed on than what we currently have.

Ever since benches grew to 5 and then 7 the wealthier clubs have found it easier and easier to dominate. This just takes it further still. Takes any sort of thinking on the fly or planning for "what would we do if x player was having a poor game or got injured?" completely out of the game, you just stick your ready-made world class talent on who plays the same position. It's dumbing down coaching and ingenuity.

Edit: I like a bit of chaos and unpredictability. Can't remember who against but there was a game when a young Roy Keane had to slot in as a central defender for some reason or other. Think it was a red card and we didn't have any centre-backs on the bench because you were much more limited in options in those days. It was intriguing to see how he'd get on, plus Fergie having to make the decision that it was Keane who'd play there gave him something to do and come up with a solution to the problem. That's exciting to me.

Last edited:

NinjaFletch

BigDunc9 said it himself where you've brought on Pogba/Martial/Matic/Rashford/Greenwood/Williams in the Fa Cup against Norwich. That's a huge disaparity in quality to anything that Norwich could muster in terms of 3, let alone the extra 3 that are permitted because of this and the ET rule. It made it far more difficult for Norwich to win that game.
The laws already allowed for 4 given the extra time, so it's still just two extra and I'm not at all convinced that the subs of Williams and Matic (who presumably would have been the ones not made given the game situation) changed the game more then the 4 subs normally would have. If not for the red card I still think Norwich would have made it to penalties and it looked like they might have managed that for large periods anyway.

Obviously there's some intangibles that aren't obvious, but if that's the best example I'm not convinced it's made as much impact as people feared it might.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Like most rule changes, superb for the big clubs, crap for the lesser ones.

Pep and Klopp must be licking their lips at knowing their cynical fouls to disrupt play act has even more backup with more subs

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The laws already allowed for 4 given the extra time, so it's still just two extra and I'm not at all convinced that the subs of Williams and Matic (who presumably would have been the ones not made given the game situation) changed the game more then the 4 subs normally would have. If not for the red card I still think Norwich would have made it to penalties and it looked like they might have managed that for large periods anyway.

Obviously there's some intangibles that aren't obvious, but if that's the best example I'm not convinced it's made as much impact as people feared it might.
Williams and Matic are still better than anything Norwich would have been able to put on from their side of the pitch. You made all 5 within the 90. Pogba and Matic being your last in the 78th minute replacing your CM which is going to take a wee bit of time to adjust to but gave the platform to dominate ET (Yes, the red card helped but so did the talent you were able to bring on compared to Norwich).

It's not just short term that this helps though and isn't just confined to one game. Long term impacts can be seen in things like overall squad fitness because you don't have to think as much about who needs the minutes as you aren't confined by less subs.

Lots of other variables over the course of a season that make this more beneficial for bigger clubs who can afford to splash out on their 25 man squad rather than just their first 11.

neverdie

I knew this would happen. They used Covid as a pretext. They'll also find a way to keep the drink break, not make any changes to the VAR system, and probably also keep that stupid fecking crowd gogglebox feature.

neverdie

Where's the logic?
More stoppages. More advertising. More money for broadcasters. Same thing with water breaks, and VAR if it continues.

Eventually they'll be having mid-game commercial breaks. I don't even think it's that far away.

Disgraceful decision. Look at the Norwich vs Manchester United game. How was Norwich expected to hold on to a draw when United was able to sub on Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Matic and Williams. It will kill the F.A cup when the top teams know they can play a back up team and then sub on all the big hitters if they think they are in trouble.

That is just one example and i should imagine it's even worse when City or Madrid play.
They're trying so hard to emulate the American Football/NBA format and it's so transparent. Football is the most popular game in the world for all the reasons that basketball and the NFL aren't. It should flow. Stoppages kill it and all sense of continuity between the team that starts and the team that finishes is lost. Also obviously massively unfair to smaller sides. Leicester would never win the league with these conditions.

Last edited:

fps

I don’t want to watch football matches where near half the players who start don’t finish. It becomes something else, without fatigue and the running battles that really make the sport.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don’t want to watch football matches where near half the players who start don’t finish. It becomes something else, without fatigue and the running battles that really make the sport.
Those are happening now. No reason they won't next season

Baxter

It’s nonsense and does nothing but help the bigger teams with better squads.

Red00012

Get rid of the water breaks , must be the stupidest thing they’ve ever done.
All they’re short is Beyoncé singing while sitting on the crossbar while they drink.

NinjaFletch

Williams and Matic are still better than anything Norwich would have been able to put on from their side of the pitch. You made all 5 within the 90. Pogba and Matic being your last in the 78th minute replacing your CM which is going to take a wee bit of time to adjust to but gave the platform to dominate ET (Yes, the red card helped but so did the talent you were able to bring on compared to Norwich).

It's not just short term that this helps though and isn't just confined to one game. Long term impacts can be seen in things like overall squad fitness because you don't have to think as much about who needs the minutes as you aren't confined by less subs.

Lots of other variables over the course of a season that make this more beneficial for bigger clubs who can afford to splash out on their 25 man squad rather than just their first 11.
Yes, but that's also true of United's starting 11 which is why we're 5th and Norwich are 20th.

The question really is whether the quality drop off between Norwich's 11 and their subs is bigger than the difference between United's 11 and their subs and is that problem exasperated by the 5th (and in that game 6th) sub beyond what would be the case for subs 1-4?

I can see why people would answer yes to it, I'm just not sure we've seen the evidence to suggest it's actually had an adverse effect on smaller clubs. I'm sure someone could crunch the numbers on that one from the games we've seen so far though.

ariveded

So in a crucial or derby match, if a player get yellow carded early, I expect the manager to sub him off easily.

The fun is always in the risk, more subs reduces it as teams becomes more cautious...

fps

Those are happening now. No reason they won't next season
Something being introduced as a stopgap measure does not mean it will certainly happen next season. Some online pressure needs to form around this. There is a similar number of subs in rugby union as a percentage of the team and it makes the game a joke.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Something being introduced as a stopgap measure does not mean it will certainly happen next season.
No, but aside from the summer heat the conditions shouldn't be too dissimilar. That's not a minor thing by any means, but on the other hand reduced break between seasons plus 50+ games instead of 10 or so...

Morpheus 7

Rubbish idea, games will not be every 3 days for a a season. Stops the flow of the game, I get it with project restart but terrible idea for a full season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Rubbish idea, games will not be every 3 days for a a season. Stops the flow of the game, I get it with project restart but terrible idea for a full season.
They actually will be for most of it. For teams playing in europe that is

Revan

Assumptionman
Entire season is gonna happen within 8 months (with only a small break between seasons) followed by Euros.

So, 60 games in 240 games, means one match every fourth day. Big clubs are essentially gonna play 3 matches per week for the majority of the season, and then their players will need to play Euros.

It was either this or shorten the season. Right decision!