Illan Meslier | Leeds Goalkeeper

Idxomer

I'm looking forward to seeing his development. I think he's an interesting prospect in this position and the club should keep a close eye on him.

He has some mistakes in his game which is normal for his age (only 20-year-old) but also has the ability to make some great saves.

The bigger plus is he's a modern keeper, very good with his feet, and gets quickly off his line.

The next game is also against Leeds, we'll see how he handles the pressure.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'm looking forward to seeing his development. I think he's an interesting prospect in this position and the club should keep a close eye on him.

He has some mistakes in his game which is normal for his age (only 20-year-old) but also has the ability to make some great saves.

The bigger plus is he's a modern keeper, very good with his feet, and gets quickly off his line.

The next game is also against Leeds, we'll see how he handles the pressure.
Those pluses and minuses were all on show when we played Leeds.

Bielsa has them playing some very risky passes out from the back, the defenders were getting caught out with terrible passes too, but he kept the score down and kept Leeds in the game until the last minute.

Think he'll be a very good keeper in a few years. There's very few, if any, 20 year old starting GKs in the top 5 leagues, mistakes are to be expected. The system Bielsa has them playing exposes him quite a bit as well. Needs to improve his play with his feet, and stronger wrists have been needed on quite a few goals Leeds have conceded this season, but he'll be fine. Hope we stick 5 past him on Sunday.

Idxomer

Motm against Burnley, 6 saves, and was clearing everything in the air near the end.

SATA

I wouldn't trust him as a goalkeeper for now. Seems to palm or punch everything awkwardly instead of catching it which i don't like to see that in a keeper. Good shot stopper though

Swedish_Plumber

Bit of a weird bump, but i like him.
Think by the time we go looking for another keeper he may be the ideal candidate. Got a very experienced head on young shoulders.
Also looks the spitting image of Doc Roe from Band of Brothers.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He definitely has talent. At 21 he has plenty of time to keep improving too.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Terrible performance yesterday. Should have saved all 4 goals IMO, and certainly the first 3. He’s let in quite a few questionable shots this season.

TheReligion

Abusive
Terrible performance yesterday. Should have saved all 4 goals IMO, and certainly the first 3. He’s let in quite a few questionable shots this season.
Nah you’re not stopping Freds or Elangas. Both good finishes. Positioning on the first goal was wrong though and the second shouldn’t have squirmed under him. That said the weather was awful.

His kicking is a concern especially given he’s a modern young goalkeeper

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Nah you’re not stopping Freds or Elangas. Both good finishes. Positioning on the first goal was wrong though and the second shouldn’t have squirmed under him. That said the weather was awful.

His kicking is a concern especially given he’s a modern young goalkeeper
Maybe Fred’s was quite powerful, but I feel a top keeper could have saved it. I also think Elanga’s beat him too easily, he didn’t make Elanga have to do enough for me. Those are the sort of 1v1s we have missed all season because keepers have saved similar efforts. The shot was a bit tame to me.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Bruno's header was incredibly hard to save. Low, hard, skidding off the surface and from what, 8 yards out?

Maguire's was a strong header, Meslier was in no man's land. Came out and then hesitated.

Fred's was a rocket and caught him by surprise I think. Always should do better at near post, but it was actually close to him which makes it harder.

Elanga's was a nice finish through his legs. He saved a 1v1 against Ronaldo earlier which was flagged offside after.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Has talent but lets in too many soft goals to be considered top 10 in prem currently.

You look at a few yesterday and couple of weeks back Shelvey free kick went right through him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Bruno's header was incredibly hard to save. Low, hard, skidding off the surface and from what, 8 yards out?

Maguire's was a strong header, Meslier was in no man's land. Came out and then hesitated.

Fred's was a rocket and caught him by surprise I think. Always should do better at near post, but it was actually close to him which makes it harder.

Elanga's was a nice finish through his legs. He saved a 1v1 against Ronaldo earlier which was flagged offside after.
Bruno’s header was not particularly hard at all.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Bruno’s header was not particularly hard at all.
It was from 6 yards out and straight into the ground. If he saves that, people call it a fantastic save, not a routine save.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Has talent but lets in too many soft goals to be considered top 10 in prem currently.

You look at a few yesterday and couple of weeks back Shelvey free kick went right through him.
He is only 21. I would happily take him as a backup to eventually take over from DDG.

InfiniteBoredom

He is only 21. I would happily take him as a backup to eventually take over from DDG.
Has there ever been a no.2 who sits on the bench for years then successfully take over?

Same thing with Henderson when we gave him that contract. You just have to take a leap of faith when it comes to keepers and stick with one imo, grooming a successor doesn’t work when playing time is so important in that position.

I know the weather was shit but he had some proper ropey punches and spills. He should also have saved Fred's goal.

Nothing wrong with Bruno's header, no keeper saves that with any consistency.

Rossa

It was from 6 yards out and straight into the ground. If he saves that, people call it a fantastic save, not a routine save.
And directed in the way Meslier came from, making it double hard as he had to shift his weight. Poor for Maguire's goal as he was in no man’s land.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Maguire's goal was a powerful header from 6 yards. Only way a keeper saves it is if he's there already.

Bruno's header was hard and low from 6 yards out on a slick surface. No keeper is saving that unless they can possibly get a foot to it. No chance on that one.

Fred's is one he should save. No keeper likes being beat near post and his positioning didn't help. He should have been off his line and cutting off the angle. Save it with your face if you have to...

Elanga's goal will bother the keeper, but as a keeper you come out and make yourself big. That includes spreading your legs. It was a perfect finish. Not on the keeper although it will bother him also. But not much I'd ask him to do differently there...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Maguire's goal was a powerful header from 6 yards. Only way a keeper saves it is if he's there already.

Bruno's header was hard and low from 6 yards out on a slick surface. No keeper is saving that unless they can possibly get a foot to it. No chance on that one.

Fred's is one he should save. No keeper likes being beat near post and his positioning didn't help. He should have been off his line and cutting off the angle. Save it with your face if you have to...

Elanga's goal will bother the keeper, but as a keeper you come out and make yourself big. That includes spreading your legs. It was a perfect finish. Not on the keeper although it will bother him also. But not much I'd ask him to do differently there...
Its now the fact that he was in no man's land that was the problem with that one.

I also think an elite shot-stopper like De Gea saves the header, but that's the sort of thing that makes him elite.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I thought he looked extremely suspect on all 4 goals, really. Most 'keepers tend to really show up against us so it was nice to have Meslier's performance yesterday.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Its now the fact that he was in no man's land that was the problem with that one.

I also think an elite shot-stopper like De Gea saves the header, but that's the sort of thing that makes him elite.
It's an in swinger on the edge of the 6. I think he started to come for it and then stopped. That's the worst thing you can do as a keeper. If you start coming, keep coming, even if it was the wrong decision. As for De Gea, we've seen him make some unbelievable saves over his career, but just because he has made that save, doesn't mean he will every time. I'd put the blame on that goal on the defender who was too concerned about wresstling with Maguire and turned his back on the ball...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I thought he looked extremely suspect on all 4 goals, really. Most 'keepers tend to really show up against us so it was nice to have Meslier's performance yesterday.
That’s a very good point. We rarely get that version of any keeper.

Acole9

Outstanding
I like him but his distribution was bad yesterday and some of those goals he probably should've stopped.