I'm going to laugh at Boateng...

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Yeah I know, I act like a little kid on here sometimes ;)

Only packed in playing footie a couple of years ago after a hernia op. Gave up the idea of a comeback last year when a mate of mine snapped his achilles tendon playing 'walking football' of all things :lol:

Thats my point, you seem like a young lad ;)

Re achilles tendon... Im 32 but when we play footie with guys from the office the list of casualities is always long ;)

Take care mate!

RooneyLegend

Looked a mess last night. Sluggish and heavy, terrible body posture when defending and looked very average on the ball. Easy to look good when your team just dominates every fixture, when he's been asked to defend this season he's been found wanting. Nowhere near the best defender in the world.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Thats my point, you seem like a young lad ;)

Re achilles tendon... Im 32 but when we play footie with guys from the office the list of casualities is always long ;)

Take care mate!
Ah what would I do to be 32 again. I could still turn a pretty girl's head back then. Now I just manage to turn their stomach :D

Best advice my Dad ever gave me was to play as much football as you can. I missed quite a lot of Liverpool matches as a result, but he was right when he said there is no substitute for actually playing the game.

So keep fit, & keep playing the game mate for as you long as you continue to enjoy it.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
I am still to be fully convinced by him to be honest. He fecked up against Porto too with one of the worst piece of defending you can get. I don't see how he can be seen as a better out and out defender than someone like Godin or Terry.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
He is a more complete defender than Terry and Godin but is most certainly not better than them despite being a fine defender in general.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
He is a more complete defender than Terry and Godin but is most certainly not better than them despite being a fine defender in general.
People dismiss Terry and Godin to easily. Yes the set up they play suits them well but they still have to execute it with fantastic concentration and superb penalty box defending. They might not be able to play like the some more expansive centre backs around but it works both ways, I couldn't see many others doing what they do anywhere near as well.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
People dismiss Terry and Godin to easily. Yes the set up they play suits them well but they still have to execute it with fantastic concentration and superb penalty box defending. They might not be able to play like the some more expansive centre backs around but it works both ways, I couldn't see many others doing what they do anywhere near as well.
Agreed ofc.

izec

:lol: still laughing. I was never a fan of Boateng, i know some rate him world class, not for me. He had a great world cup, i give him that.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
This thread must make @Balu 's blood boil as much as when i see people slating off Zlatan.

flappyjay

How is this clown still playing for Bayern?

Can't believe they let Hummels to BVB and kept Boateng
It's the Smalling conundrum, can't sell what to know one wants. It was no secret that Boateng was available but no one wanted

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I cannot believe how hard this guy's stock has fallen since 2016.

It's the Smalling conundrum, can't sell what to know one wants. It was no secret that Boateng was available but no one wanted
And yet Smalling was the one CB who anyone else wanted. No one wants Rojo, Jones or Bailly - only Smalling has value, and got MOTM on his debut for Roma...

nyanza

And yet Smalling was the one CB who anyone else wanted. No one wants Rojo, Jones or Bailly - only Smalling has value, and got MOTM on his debut for Roma...
Isn't that his point? That he's the one who left (as someone had to) because he could actually attract interest and we kept Jones and co because who the hell would want them. Just like Hummels leaving and Boateng staying.

Alabaster Codify7

Yeah, its mad innit - Smalling gets so much shit but its an irrefutable fact that he's better than Rojo, Jones and Bailly; it's arguable that he's better than Lindelöf but I accept its all about personal taste. Only Maguire is better than Chris Smalling at United yet he's the one we're trying to offload and laugh at.

flappyjay

You didn't get my point at all did you? Hummels was sold because he could attract attention just like Smalling attracted Roma.

Chairman Steve

Can't believe we were close to buying him last year if reports were true. Bullet dodged.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I cannot believe how hard this guy's stock has fallen since 2016.
I can't believe he ever had any stock options. Never rated him but kudos to him for performing well for a couple of seasons. By definition that should make him average, not a Bayern/Germany first team player.

Snow

Smalling is a good defender, better than Rojo, Jones and Lindelöf but he's not a good footballer and that's why he doesn't play for United anymore or why Southgate doesn't play him. Being a good footballer in those cases is more important than just being good at defending. Similar can be said of Boateng in a Bayern team that dominated almost every game.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I can't believe he ever had any stock options. Never rated him but kudos to him for performing well for a couple of seasons. By definition that should make him average, not a Bayern/Germany first team player.
His stock has fallen because of injuries. From 2012-2016 he was one of the best CB's in the world, if not the.

Snow

His stock has fallen because of injuries. From 2012-2016 he was one of the best CB's in the world, if not the.
He has at most played 27 games in a season, being fit was never his forte. In those years he played for a dominant Bayern side. Whatever he did in the Bundesliga with the team having 80% of the ball doesn't make him a great defender. In the era you quoted he probably did the least defending statistically out of any defender in Europe.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He has at most played 27 games in a season, being fit was never his forte. In those years he played for a dominant Bayern side. Whatever he did in the Bundesliga with the team having 80% of the ball doesn't make him a great defender. In the era you quoted he probably did the least defending statistically out of any defender in Europe.
Don't buy that, he was very important in Germany's WC win, played right back too iir. He had a very high peak but it didn't last long.

Snow

Don't buy that, he was very important in Germany's WC win, played right back too iir. He had a very high peak but it didn't last long.
I said that he had a couple of good seasons. I don't rate that stuff very highly. Substitute WC for PL/CL and you're talking about Wes Brown.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Yea and lets conveniently forget he won the WC and UCL during that period, and Germany was generally the most consistent national team in winning 1 trophy and reaching two semi-finals as well. Bayern never got knocked out before the semi-final during that period so besides the Spanish teams (though Bayern should have beaten A.Madrid), no other of the top leagues in Europe were able to beat them at that time.

He never had the injury problems he began to consistently sustain after 2016, that severely dropped his pace.

Snow

Yea and lets conveniently forget he won the WC and UCL during that period, and Germany was generally the most consistent national team in winning 1 trophy and reaching two semi-finals as well. Bayern never got knocked out before the semi-final during that period so besides the Spanish teams (though Bayern should have beaten A.Madrid), no other of the top leagues in Europe were able to beat them at that time.

He never had the injury problems he began to consistently sustain after 2016, that severely dropped his pace.
I didn't forget anything. I previously stated that he had a couple of good seasons.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
He was amazing at his peak, especially under Pep. His brutal physique combined with the best long range passing I've seen in a centre back, were amazing to watch. It's a shame it didn't last that long. But there is no doubt about how good he was.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I didn't forget anything. I previously stated that he had a couple of good seasons.
1) 4-5 seasons is not a couple
2) 'Good' is an understatement, he was world class during that period.

Go on.

Snow

1) 4-5 seasons is not a couple
2) 'Good' is an understatement, he was world class during that period.

Go on.
He was good for a couple, not world class and he didn't keep up that standard for that long. He played in a comfortable situation where he did little defending. In matter of fact during that 'world class period' he (or the defense) was frequently bailed out by Neuer.

Like I said, when your team only has to defend for 20-25% of a match there isn't as big of a pressure on you as a CB. It's not comparable to being in a team that has 50-60% of possession.

City shipped him off, no one wanted him when Bayern actively tried to sell him. Bit surprising for a supposedly "world class" defender don't you think.