Gaming I'm incredibly bad at videogames now

cafecillos

I used to be a decent to good player back in the nineties/early noughties (Master System, Game Boy, PS1...), except at shoot'em ups, I've always been absolutely terrible at those. Then I took a long break from gaming, I guess I simply lost interest and other forms of entertainment took more than enough of my time, until I went back to it when the SNES mini came out, about 5 years ago or so. The thing is, I'm so awful now, it's so frustrating. I'm not even that old (40), and my reflexes are still alright when doing basically anything else, but I just suck badly at videogames. For example, I've been playing Cathedral for a few hours and I've now reached a boss I simply can't kill, and I know it's not even that hard, I just struggle with its attack patterns and lack the patience/quickness to effectively attack it without exposing myself too much. Or Mega Man games, I'd love to get into those, but I just get killed all the fecking time, and bosses are simply impossible for me and I end up using save states frantically to try to make some progress. Not to mention arcade emulation, if I can't tweak the dip switches to lower the difficulty to easiest I can't even be arsed to try playing. Maybe it's just the retro stuff I suck at? Unfortunately I feel like more modern and complex games require too much investment in terms of time and learning curve, and I'm quite sure I'd be very, very bad at things like God of War and whatnot. Anyway, anybody feeling the same? Any advice from actual gamers?

Last edited:

Bobade

I'd stop playing old arcade type games then. They are not very forgiving. You might find that newer games (not all of them of course) are actually easier to play and require less twitch reflexes, particularly when not playing online.

Bobade

Have you actually tried playing something like God of War?

Ainu

I used to be a decent to good player back in the nineties/early noughties (Master System, Game Boy, PS1...), except at shoot'em ups, I've always been absolutely terrible at those. Then I took a long break from gaming, I guess I simply lost interest and other forms of entertainment took more than enough of my time, until I went back to it when the SNES mini came out, about 5 years ago or so. The thing is, I'm so awful now, it's so frustrating. I'm not even that old (40), and my reflexes are still alright when doing basically anything else, but I just suck badly at videogames. For example, I've been playing Cathedral for a few hours and I've now reached a boss I simply can't kill, and I know it's not even that hard, I just struggle with its attack patterns and lack the patience/quickness to effectively attack it without exposing myself too much. Or Mega Man games, I'd love to get into those, but I just get killed all the fecking time, and bosses are simply impossible for me and I end up using save states frantically to try to make some progress. Not to mention arcade emulation, if I can't tweak the dip switches to lower the difficulty to easiest I can't even be arsed to try playing. Maybe it's just the retro stuff I suck at? Unfortunately I feel like more modern and complex games require too much investment in terms of time and learning curve, and I'm quite sure I'd be very, very bad at things like God of War and whatnot. Anyway, anybody feeling the same? Any advice from actual gamers?
A good middle ground would be to go for modern indie titles, which often don't have the complexity and investment requirement of the bigger titles, but are significantly more accessible than SNES era titles.

cafecillos

I'd stop playing old arcade type games then. They are not very forgiving. You might find that newer games (not all of them of course) are actually easier to play and require less twitch reflexes, particularly when not playing online.
Cathedral is not that though, it's just a fairly basic Metroidvania game. By the way Castlevania is another series I'd love to be decent at but I'm certainly not.

Have you actually tried playing something like God of War?
No, those types of games just feel too daunting, so I haven't even given them a real try, and early "3D" games like Tomb Raider or Medievil were not my cup of tea at all.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Old Arcade games are just a gazillion times harder than modern video games, which is kind of the point, since old Arcade games are designed to make you drop a lot of quarters into a machine after dying.

AaronRedDevil

Younger me might have loved those Dark Souls, bloodbourne type games. But I just don't have the will to do it at all. Yet I just spent 80 hours finishing the witcher 3, 2 days ago. Tried bloodbourne and I couldn't even get past the damn wolves at the start. I beat cuphead and that took all the sanity I had left for those games. I must have died about 500 times, I'm honestly not joking. I play games on easy these days. Just nice and relaxed.

Baneofthegame

A good middle ground would be to go for modern indie titles, which often don't have the complexity and investment requirement of the bigger titles, but are significantly more accessible than SNES era titles.
Definitely recommend this.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Younger me might have loved those Dark Souls, bloodbourne type games. But I just don't have the will to do it at all. Yet I just spent 80 hours finishing the witcher 3, 2 days ago. Tried bloodbourne and I couldn't even get past the damn wolves at the start. I beat cuphead and that took all the sanity I had left for those games. I must have died about 500 times, I'm honestly not joking. I play games on easy these days. Just nice and relaxed.
I found cuphead notably harder than Bloodborne!

Dr. StrangeHate

Play Hades if you are into arcade type games. Every death makes you stronger.

Play overwatch 2. It is free and it has got a character to suit every style. You don't even need to aim for many characters.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Play Death Stranding. It brought me back into loving videogames again.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I know the feeling, but with the multiplayer games like CoD and Fifa. Used to be competitive about 10 years ago, but nowadays it feels like a slog.

players have either become much better as a whole, or I have regressed massively and don't have the same dexterity or focus. Likely both

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I’m with you. Played Hollowknight recently which I loved. Got to a boss who routinely killed me in seconds. The advice I found was to basically spend a few hours continuously dying to learn his moves. Nope, game deleted.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I’m in my late thirties and find most video games overtly stimulating (which I didn’t before) except for driving simulators such as GT7, or football titles like FIFA, PES and Football Manager. I struggle with keeping up with some of the faster paced games and have less patience to appreciate an unfolding story (like an RPG) if it takes ages to get to the point.

I guess I’m just getting old!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I’m in my late thirties and find most video games overtly stimulating (which I didn’t before) except for driving simulators such as GT7, or football titles like FIFA, PES and Football Manager. I struggle with keeping up with some of the faster paced games and have less patience to appreciate an unfolding story (like an RPG) if it takes ages to get to the point.

I guess I’m just getting old!
it’s a good point I think. I used to pour hundreds of hours a year into FM but that has waned considerably, to the point where this was the first time in 20 years I did not buy it. I think all the superfluous shit they have added (Without fixing the main bugs) is the issue. There’s just too much going on to be enjoyable when all I want to do is turn off my brain for the hour or so if free time I have.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I’m in my 30s too, I don’t quite feel I’ve reached this stage yet. Even if I go a good month or two without touching the PS5, I still feel competitive. But my “scope” of gaming, let’s say, has largely dwindled. It’s largely sports games (Madden, FIFA every few years), racing games (GT7, F1) or sometimes COD. I also play GTA but only when it is released I.E haven’t played it in years.

Chairman Steve

I think some of the general quality of life aspects that have been introduced over the years and stayed as a norm in video games such as autosave, wider difficulty levels and even the internet as a help guide can pull the rug out from under you when they’re removed.

Resident Evil 1 never had autosave. It was those ink ribbons to save and doesn’t matter if you played 2 hours since your last save and some Hunter one hit kills you from off-screen… tough shit, go back to 2 hours ago. Back then you’d just accept it. These days people would throw a bitch fit because the convenience that modern gaming has provided.

Last edited:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I know the feeling, but with the multiplayer games like CoD and Fifa. Used to be competitive about 10 years ago, but nowadays it feels like a slog.

players have either become much better as a whole, or I have regressed massively and don't have the same dexterity or focus. Likely both
Could it be less time committed these days? I was always average (and that’s being generous) at COD and similar shooters, but I decided during the first lockdown to see if I could get to a competitive money earning level at FIFA, which was a game I was already fairly handy at. I was committing about 8 hours minimum average a day, it was unhealthy and at the time was struggling with a lot going on in my life and the isolation of the pandemic, I actually packed in the game for good after about 6 months. I got to the point though where I was playing at a high competitive level, and I’m sure if I picked it up now I’d be fairly meh at it

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Could it be less time committed these days? I was always average (and that’s being generous) at COD and similar shooters, but I decided during the first lockdown to see if I could get to a competitive money earning level at FIFA, which was a game I was already fairly handy at. I was committing about 8 hours minimum average a day, it was unhealthy and at the time was struggling with a lot going on in my life and the isolation of the pandemic, I actually packed in the game for good after about 6 months. I got to the point though where I was playing at a high competitive level, and I’m sure if I picked it up now I’d be fairly meh at it
Possibly so. I was the same in that when I put unhealthy hours in I was good. The first time I played these sorts of games it would be sporadic and go into a game and be competitive, but doing the same 10 years later isnt the same.

CloneMC16

Retro games are much harder than modern games. You'd be better off trying modern games. Most have a bunch of difficulty options, and some of them have other accessibility features to make games easier if you want that.

Games like God of War have a story mode that makes the game very easy on the combat. A normal enemy will take 40+ hits to kill you. The enemies also have far less health. I don't think anybody would have a problem playing it. Big budget Sony games all have story modes like that.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'm basically useless at every video game. I don't have the patience for any learning curve or strategy. Online modes make me feel like a 90 year old who's only just discovered technology exists. Offline modes are either rubbish or end up stressing me out.

Mario Kart is the worst. When did literally everyone else on earth become some kind of advqnced level expert at this game?

The only exceptions are pistol whip which makes me feel like some kind of matrix god, and the online spaceship mode on Star Wars battlefront where weirdly I'm basically invincible. I'd probably still know every level on Sonic 2 inside out as well if I tried it.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Retro games are much harder than modern games. You'd be better off trying modern games. Most have a bunch of difficulty options, and some of them have other accessibility features to make games easier if you want that.

Games like God of War have a story mode that makes the game very easy on the combat. A normal enemy will take 40+ hits to kill you. The enemies also have far less health. I don't think anybody would have a problem playing it. Big budget Sony games all have story modes like that.
Ah it makes sense now why that game is so popular. Sorry for not realising sooner @esmufc07 @afrocentricity :)

CloneMC16

:lol:
Try plaing it on Give me God of War. One hit kills basically. Brutally difficult.
God of War difficulty is really no joke!

I died so many times. Even in the regular combat encounters.

The game has a difficulty level suited to all skill levels.

El Zoido

The start of Bloodborne is the hardest part (certain optional bosses aside), in my opinion. I never struggled more on Bloodborne than the opening section in the run up to the cleric beast. I got through it by kiting werewolves in to a doorway they couldn’t get through, and farming souls. It’s still an RPG and you can overlevel to make it easier. Honestly it’s worth sticking with, it’s not as difficult as the internet would lead you to believe. Once you get over the hump at the start, you’ll be hooked. Cuphead is the harder game.

cafecillos

I’m with you. Played Hollowknight recently which I loved. Got to a boss who routinely killed me in seconds. The advice I found was to basically spend a few hours continuously dying to learn his moves. Nope, game deleted.
Yep.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
That's pretty bad advice to be honest. I would suggest exploring elsewhere you haven't been to pick up more charms and abilities while getting better at the game. Then when you come back later you'll probably have a much easier time with that particular boss. Hell, some of the bosses are optional, so maybe it could've been avoided entirely.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Obviously reactions slow, but I think it's mostly time and patience waning that does it. For example, on FPS games I can still track/aim with the best no problem, but map and game sense learning I just find myself lacking the patience for whereas once upon a time I'd have all the angles/positions down pat.

Single player games I have no issues with though, apart from the will to grind endlessly I once had if the game is anything other than brilliant. Especially as modern games have failed to evolve in AI so most "difficulty" is basic sponging. Stuff like the soulsbourne games is actually more about patience than reactions, Hollow Knight and the metroidvanias too.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
That's pretty bad advice to be honest. I would suggest exploring elsewhere you haven't been to pick up more charms and abilities while getting better at the game. Then when you come back later you'll probably have a much easier time with that particular boss. Hell, some of the bosses are optional, so maybe it could've been avoided entirely.
It was the carnival boss (nightmare form) and I had every charm and ability. Just couldn’t react fast enough to avoid attacks. Brilliant game up until that point.

Bosws87

Most popular games are easier then ever and are made as easy as possible with a never ending amount of options.

I really wouldn't worry about your ability unless you are looking at online competitive games or souls/indy games

Slevs

likes to play with penises

We used to play for what, 14-15 hours a day? No one could beat me at FIFA when I was young, used to win a lot of local tournaments and make pocket money.
Nowadays if I get 2 hours on CoD, I consider it gaming night and call it a blessing.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
It was the carnival boss (nightmare form) and I had every charm and ability. Just couldn’t react fast enough to avoid attacks. Brilliant game up until that point.
Ah right. So you completed the game but not all optional content. I don't really see any issues with games having incredibly difficult challenges if they're optional. I'll just ignore them if they seem unreasonable.

Bosws87

Online competitive games like COD is mostly game sense and map knowledge you can have average reflexes and aim and still be near the top from game experience.

Most people saying they suck now will be because of time invested rather then their core skills have dropped off a cliff.

botond

time to switch to dad games . my favorites are crusader kings, football manager and civ 6

ashgabat

Come look at our Swedish girls instead!
Supports
Malmö FF
time to switch to dad games . my favorites are crusader kings, football manager and civ 6
"Dad games" - brilliant description. Been looking for a good term for the games I play these days!