Music Immersive Concert Experiences

CallyRed

Following on from the ABBA voyage show (which they built a sizeable arena for in Stratford), looks like @esmufc07 is following suit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67871115

This is it now, fully expect in 2029 seeing an AI David Bowie headlining Glastonbury.

What do you make of these type of concerts? I looked at the ticket pricing of the ABBA one and its ridiculously expensive but having a built a venue for it I can see why

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
I don't mind it for artists we're never going to see perform live again but if it starts crossing over into the realm of popular, still active artists using it instead of touring then it can get to feck.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't mind it for artists we're never going to see perform live again but if it starts crossing over into the realm of popular, still active artists using it instead of touring then it can get to feck.
Would you accept an AI Sancho on the right wing?

jadaba

Would you accept an AI Sancho on the right wing?
I can absolutely picture some tech bros teaming up with EA sports to create a hologram match of Ultimate XI A vs Ultimate XI B to be projected for a paying stadium crowd.

CallyRed

I can absolutely picture some tech bros teaming up with EA sports to create a hologram match of Ultimate XI A vs Ultimate XI B to be projected for a paying stadium crowd.
I hope I'm 10 feet under at that point

Superunknown

I'm personally not a fan of this. I find it a little grim to think about seeing holograms or projections of people who are not around anymore, just seems quite morbid from my perspective. There's a certain level of mystique with artists who have passed on or were from a generation or a time before you were alive or around to catch them, and sometimes those mysteries should be left as they are. I often wonder what it must have been like to see Nirvana right at their peak, or to be part of that whole Seattle grunge scene when that exploded. I think it's healthy for people to dream about those times and to romanticise that in their heads, or to read up on the subject or watch documentaries from the people who were there, or archived footage of the actual artists themselves. I wouldn't want to watch ABBA or see Bowie in that way. The music is still there and that's eternal. Just seems...quite disrespectful to their spirit to even attempt to do something like this.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Just accept the inevitability of death and buy a dvd of an old concert instead.

Moby

Dick
Why? Active artists cannot perform in every single part of the world all the time so what's the problem if people are able to experience watching their favourite artists live when they wouldn't be able to otherwise?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
This may belong in the VR thread, but I would much rather living artists record concerts with 360/vr cameras so you can feel like you are at a real show that happened vs watching a fake version of the real thing.
Muse did a VR interactive thing for their Simulation Theory tour. I had it on the old PSVR. It was interesting but the tech of the VR headset wasn’t quite up to it.

Was interesting and I think would be a cool thing for more artists to do, especially as tech moves forward.

Volumiza

Why? Active artists cannot perform in every single part of the world all the time so what's the problem if people are able to experience watching their favourite artists live when they wouldn't be able to otherwise?
Exactly, I wouldn’t look at it as a fake or cheat gig, would just be another evolutionary media avenue.

Volumiza

It's kinda creepy if the artist is already dead though.
Is it any creepier than playing their songs on a radio? Or watching a gig on YouTube like I did with the Doors a few weeks back?

If I could get to see James Brown, Aretha Franklin, T-Rex, Joy Division, Elvis etc … I’d be all over that :)

Zen86

It’s the way the world is heading. Just wait until the sex industry get onboard with it.

foolsgold

Is it any creepier than playing their songs on a radio? Or watching a gig on YouTube like I did with the Doors a few weeks back?

If I could get to see James Brown, Aretha Franklin, T-Rex, Joy Division, Elvis etc … I’d be all over that :)
You can't, they're all dead.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

To me old recordings are like mementos, it's something from the past that you still keep. Not an attempt to make dead people appear as hologram. It's just weird to me

Volumiza

To me old recordings are like mementos, it's something from the past that you still keep. Not an attempt to make dead people appear as hologram. It's just weird to me
It is weird, I agree. However, it’s just another vehicle of immortality just like their recordings and photos.

And I’d suggest it could just be the odd legendary gig, not fully reincarnating all these dead artists and sending them on a gruelling afterlife tour :)

But if it was eventually possible to remaster something like Live Aid or The Doors at the Hollywood Bowl, Jimi Hendricks at IOW or something and turn into an immersive/ VR experience I think that would be incredible.

MarylandMUFan

Muse did a VR interactive thing for their Simulation Theory tour. I had it on the old PSVR. It was interesting but the tech of the VR headset wasn’t quite up to it.

Was interesting and I think would be a cool thing for more artists to do, especially as tech moves forward.
I just got a Quest 3 (Occulus) and found some concert videos on YouTubeVR and it's really impressive. It was like I was in the crowd at a Springsteen concert (unfortunately it was just 1 song during a show in Sweden and not the entire show).

Volumiza

I just got a Quest 3 (Occulus) and found some concert videos on YouTubeVR and it's really impressive. It was like I was in the crowd at a Springsteen concert (unfortunately it was just 1 song during a show in Sweden and not the entire show).
Yeah, I think it’s a medium with huge potential