Importance of the January 2020 Transfer Window

Irrational.

Will only be important if we have a new manager when it comes.

Under Ole it will be totally pointless.
Agreed. It's like investing in a house and decorating it when it could collapse on you at any time.

Even if we do invest I'd rather it be the right signing rather than just for the sake of it. We don't loan players enough and this would be the ideal situation in which to do this to tide us through until the summer.

Bestietom

Agreed. It's like investing in a house and decorating it when it could collapse on you at any time.

Even if we do invest I'd rather it be the right signing rather than just for the sake of it. We don't loan players enough and this would be the ideal situation in which to do this to tide us through until the summer.
Loan deals could be the answer if we were unable to get the players we want in January. But we just have to wait and see.

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
Why are they panic buys? If the club have lined up targets, and done their groundwork. Then isn't it just a purchase in a window? Its not like we can only start looking on New Years day

AaronRedDevil

Why are they panic buys? If the club have lined up targets, and done their groundwork. Then isn't it just a purchase in a window? Its not like we can only start looking on New Years day
Its probably near impossible to get the real targets they want in January. Sancho, haivertz aren't changing teams in a January transfer window.

Lentwood

I wouldn’t particularly care if we signed anybody in Jan. but maybe a loan deal for Madzukic until the end of the season would make sense for all parties

We’ve shown we’re not THAT bad with a proper CF in the team (shock), so just need to make sure we have cover for Martial

Alabaster Codify7

I wouldn’t particularly care if we signed anybody in Jan. but maybe a loan deal for Madzukic until the end of the season would make sense for all parties

We’ve shown we’re not THAT bad with a proper CF in the team (shock), so just need to make sure we have cover for Martial

When was this? In 2/10 league games?

MrBest

We need quality and some solid experience. Bale on loan (never to buy) and Manduzkic for 10m on a 2 year contract would be a good start. I would not be against bringing in Ibrahimovic on a short 6 month deal just to boost numbers in attack. Anyone worth spending millions on will not available. Saying that, I would try a cheeky bid for Bruno Fernandes if at all possible. Right winger, Striker and creative midfielder badly needed.

jackal&hyde

Doubt we’ll be very active. Maybe Mandzukic.
Yeah. It would be difficult to get the players we want to improve on the first 11 but we might be able to improve on squad depth here. A striker would be great as would a midfielder.

Crustanoid

We need quality and some solid experience. Bale on loan (never to buy) and Manduzkic for 10m on a 2 year contract would be a good start. I would not be against bringing in Ibrahimovic on a short 6 month deal just to boost numbers in attack. Anyone worth spending millions on will not available. Saying that, I would try a cheeky bid for Bruno Fernandes if at all possible. Right winger, Striker and creative midfielder badly needed.
It would take Ed around 2 years to complete that many deals

MrBest

It would take Ed around 2 years to complete that many deals
Haha yeah i said this in the summer, we clearly focus on one deal at a time. It is really worrying especially for a team that said it needed fresh new players.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The media seem to be hell bent on linking United with the usual ageing players....Zlatan, Mandzukic, Bale, Rakitic, blah, blah, blah....:rolleyes:

Lazy, lazy journos..!!

Crustanoid

Haha yeah i said this in the summer, we clearly focus on one deal at a time. It is really worrying especially for a team that said it needed fresh new players.
Yes, sorry. It’s just that even though the Summer window was longer and even more urgent than the upcoming January window, he moved with the haste of a sloth and therefore I have no confidence in him doing anything in January

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Erling Braut Haaland is going to be a January Transfer window target. OGS have stated that there are transfer funds available in January, citing a need for scoring.

He fits every single checkbox of this teams rebuild plan: Young, VERY fast, semi-proven goalscorer (using semi since he's tearing it up in the CL but its been 3 games, and the Austrain League is nothing like the EPL). Playing on a sellers team.

The club is actively scouting the player, last having scouts at the RB Salzburg v Napoli game.

Mandzukic as a stop-gap would be a disappointment from which I don't know if I'll ever recover

GBBQ

The media seem to be hell bent on linking United with the usual ageing players....Zlatan, Mandzukic, Bale, Rakitic, blah, blah, blah....:rolleyes:

Lazy, lazy journos..!!
Considering Ole has come out and talked about the new profile of payer we are looking for it seems ridiculous to be linked with all of these.
Young, VERY fast, semi-proven goalscorer (using semi since he's tearing it up in the CL but its been 3 games, and the Austrain League is nothing like the EPL). Playing on a sellers team.
Don't we already have enough of these? Its a huge gamble to bring him in as the saviour of our season.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I can see abit of movement with regards to out-goings and in-comings in January.

Overall, its a strange situation with Ole. I have serious doubts that he can takes us forward, along with getting us competing at the very top and ,yet, on the other hand I am liking who we ,not only have we brought,but are continually linked too.
Minor a few exceptions in Muller,Mandzukic and Rakitic,though I'm not solely writing off the need for experience in the first team.

Bestietom

I would be happy if we were able to bring in a striker and a midfielder in January. We all know it is hard to get the players you want at this time of the season, but there are a few players who are out of contract in the summer who we may be able to tempt. Others who may be interested in moving also. We must get players that will improve the side.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
it seems a foregone conclusion that Eriksen is moving in January. He's only 27 and should be in his prime, but his season for Tottenham so far leaves a lot to be desired.

Zlatattack

Mandzukic would scream panic buy I have an obsession with the guy from my FIFA days years back so would generally love to see him in a United shirt but his bargaining position would leave the club with a multi-year deal for a player we obviously don’t actually want otherwise we’d have signed him in the summer.

Could we not just loan him?

settembrini

Erling Braut Haaland is going to be a January Transfer window target. OGS have stated that there are transfer funds available in January, citing a need for scoring.

He fits every single checkbox of this teams rebuild plan: Young, VERY fast, semi-proven goalscorer (using semi since he's tearing it up in the CL but its been 3 games, and the Austrain League is nothing like the EPL). Playing on a sellers team.

The club is actively scouting the player, last having scouts at the RB Salzburg v Napoli game.

Mandzukic as a stop-gap would be a disappointment from which I don't know if I'll ever recover
I doubt it. Solskjaer said a couple of days ago that he is happy with his forwards now that Martial is back.

"Now Anthony is back, I am quite happy with the options I have in attack. I’ve heard what some people have said about us being short of a genuine No.9, but Anthony has absolutely everything in his locker to take that role."

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Hopefully Ole is just being cute here with that comment saying he's happy with his offensive options.

When you boil it down to what we have is:

Rashford: We're now seeing that he's more effective as a left wing forward. Still inconsistent.
Martial : Good form this season and comfortably our best central forward. Injury prone though.
Greenwoord : Still naturally very green.
James : Wide forward. Effective on both sides though,as we saw against AZ away,playing him as a central attacking is a absolute no go.
Chong : Evidently in need of a loan experience. Just not ready at this particular time.

Ole would have to be mad to rely on the above attacking players going into the second half of the season without atleast one or even 2 more options.
We only really have one consistent forward in Anthony Martial and I'm not totally convinced he'll stay injury free throughout the rest of the season.

El Zoido

it seems a foregone conclusion that Eriksen is moving in January. He's only 27 and should be in his prime, but his season for Tottenham so far leaves a lot to be desired.
What’s going on with him? You’re right, he should be in his prime. Would be an ideal signing but the rumours were that he was only interested in Barca/Madrid? Might have to lower his expectations after this season.

Bestietom

Hopefully Ole is just being cute here with that comment saying he's happy with his offensive options.

Rashford: We're now seeing that he's more effective as a left wing forward. Still inconsistent.
Martial : Good form this season and comfortably our best central forward. Injury prone though.
James : Wide forward. Effective on both sides though,as we saw against AZ away,playing him as a central attacking is a absolute no go.
Chong : Evidently in need of a loan experience. Just not ready at this particular time.

Ole would have to be mad to rely on the above attacking players going into the second half of the season without atleast one or even 2 more options.
We only really have one consistent forward in Anthony Martial and I'm not totally convinced he'll stay injury free throughout the rest of the season.
Really only 1 fit midfielder now in McTominay.
Pogba out until Dec.
Matic, Fred, and Pereira not good enough.

settembrini

What I'm hoping is that when he said 'options in attack' he was just talking about strikers. Which is what he then expands upon by talking about Martial.

People will disagree but I think that is an understandable position given Martial's clear talent and performances when fit this season plus Greenwood's potential.

But we do need at least one other reliable goal scorer in the squad so we aren't so reliant on Martial being fit and in form. Solskjaer seemed to know this last summer when we went for Dybala, who would have been perfect as a #10 for us who could also fill in at #9 in an emergency. Goals win you games and our current attackers just don't have enough in them. A goalscorer either at #10 or on the right needs to be signed in January.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I get what you're saying but we didn't go for Dybala initially. He fell into our lap because Juve wanted Lukaku.

Last edited:

Mark Pawelek

Last season United lost 8 players (including Bailly with long-term injury). We got 4 (including Tuanzebe back from loan).
Still missing 4 senior players. Consider:

---------------------- Age -- Contract ends --- Club ----- Position
Pedrinho ------------- 21 --- Dec-2020--- Corinthians --- RW or AM.
Jarrod Bowen ------- 22 --- Jun-2020 --- Hull ----------- RW
Boubakary Soumare 20 --- Jun-2020 --- Lille ----------- DMC

Last edited:

eire-red

Historically, we haven't really bought players in the January window, but I can't remember a period where we're in such dire need of reinforcements. Before, I was 100% for Sancho, or a real top right winger, but the way we have played in recent weeks I feel like getting an all round top forward who can play across the front line would suit us better.

Midfield, we badly need some quality. I can't watch Fred in there anymore. Need a defensive midfielder similar to Fabinho, but I'd like him to have a bit more guile. We also need a box to box midfielder.

Need a new left back, can't really rely on Shaw in that position. He's either injured or out of form too often, doesn't bring enough to the table attacking wise, but isn't a defensive monster like Wan Bissaka to cover for it. Probably need another top CB also, but less urgent than the others.

Problem is, where are these players? And top players generally don't like to move mid season. There's no point in us settling for 3rd and 4th choice in January because out top targets didn't want to move. We'll be left with more dross to sort out. If we can get in 1 top quality player in January, and possibly a prospect in one of these positions that we need, then that would be a great window.

Next summer is huge. And I don't like what I've seen on the pitch under Ole, but I do like what I've seen in our transfer activity under him.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
We'll buy in January to think otherwise is a bit mad. We're rebuilding and have the finances to pay the winter inflation. Not a massive star player, but certainly players of James calibre.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We need another Vidic&Evra stroke. Then if the younger players kick on we can end the season strong and be drastically better next year.

Easier said than done of course.

Lentwood

When was this? In 2/10 league games?
We've won 77% of all of the league games Martial has started under Ole

I've got to be clear here - I'm not saying we don't need attackers, I'm saying I doubt the right attackers will be available in Jan. so no point panicking. Bear in mind some posters are still talking about whether we will go down if we don't sign players

Roboc7

Mandzukic is much more likely than Haaland, cheaper and delays having to spend on striker for 18 months.

January window is pretty insignificant, summer window will be the defining one. Will be lots of work, lots of money needed and Ed will have to put money where mouth is. Or it will be more excuses.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Does nobody rate Bruno Fernades on here? Wouldn't he be an instant upgrade on players like Mata, Pereira, Lingard? Dangle £50m in front of the Sporting president and he'd bite your hand off in January.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Does nobody rate Bruno Fernades on here? Wouldn't he be an instant upgrade on players like Mata, Pereira, Lingard? Dangle £50m in front of the Sporting president and he'd bite your hand off in January.
Probably better than those 3 yes. But let's be honest it's tough to rate exactly how good he is.

Felix did similarly well, but he's not exactly been a big hit in Spain yet. Fernandes G/A drop a lot in the Europa league/Internationals also.

Supposedly they wanted £70m for him last summer, which is why there wasn't any takers. If they drop their demands maybe we will go back.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I don't see us spending any money in the Summer.
This idea that we are looking to buy players needs to stop.
We had a net spend of £65M in the Summer and that's the end of business for this season.

If a player of a high calibre becomes available (as Sanchez did 2 years ago), then a deal will be done. But, after what happened with Sanchez, I think the next purchase will be made next Summer, when another £70M or so will be available to spend. We'll sell some players to boost that amount. If Pogba leaves, then spending will be over £150M.

I do realise that there are a lot of young fans who are very impatient and want to buy in every window, but given what has happened in the last few windows, this simply won't be happening.

Another thing to consider is that while Woodward is our DoF, it won't matter how much we spend, we won't be competing for the league anytime soon. For me, the news I am looking forward to is that Woodward is gone!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I fell a bit for the hype over the summer and rated him then, but I've since changed my mind about him. I don't think he's good enough for our club. The only thing he's very good at is freekicks.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

I hope you’re right, I think this guy is gonna be a generational talent. Looks ideal for the PL

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I don't see us spending any money in the Summer.
This idea that we are looking to buy players needs to stop.
We had a net spend of £65M in the Summer and that's the end of business for this season.

If a player of a high calibre becomes available (as Sanchez did 2 years ago), then a deal will be done. But, after what happened with Sanchez, I think the next purchase will be made next Summer, when another £70M or so will be available to spend. We'll sell some players to boost that amount. If Pogba leaves, then spending will be over £150M.

I do realise that there are a lot of young fans who are very impatient and want to buy in every window, but given what has happened in the last few windows, this simply won't be happening.

Another thing to consider is that while Woodward is our DoF, it won't matter how much we spend, we won't be competing for the league anytime soon. For me, the news I am looking forward to is that Woodward is gone!
I'm in the camp that belives that Woodward gone, would be a potential disaster in the making.

I would be happy with 'Ed Woodward appoints DOF".

MUFC have a very complex debt structure that Ed Woodward is an expert at navigating. I'd argue he's crucial to the long term health of the club. He brings in the bigname sponsors to an awesome pricepoint despite our on pitch struggles, and overall runs the club very healthily financially. I don't think he's the right man to oversee the sporting aspect, its clear we need a change there, but i very much want him in the club in the day to day side.

Alabaster Codify7

I don't see anything happening.

Under any other manager, I think Woodward would be attempting to raise morale by signing some fecking social media buzzword signing like Sanchez. But I do feel he's moved away from that now which is something at least.

They are going to pray that Ole can limp his way to the summer, when we'll sell Pogba and sign 3-4 players with a net spend of around £70-80m I reckon.