"In a couple of days you will understand why I played Lindelof and Smalling"

MadMike

In two days Jones will suffer an injury in training and then the truth will be revealed... that Mourinho is in fact Kyle Reese who was sent from the future to stop SkyNet from going online and bringing about the end of the world.

Only they completely forgot that Kyle was a massive football fan. So instead of bothering with saving humanity Kyle used his knowledge of past events to get a career in football under the alias José Mourinho. Thus shunning a return to the future and dooming humanity forever.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Apart from 1st game against LA Galaxy Bailly has been great every game imo. Think he's been our best, followed by Jones.

As for the comments, at first I assumed it was just relating to the Super Cup and Bailly's suspension but having watched the conference it's pretty clear Jose was talking about the next 2-4 days which suggests something's up. Most logical thing to deduce would be that Jones is being sold which would be a mistake imo

EDIT: Could also be Smalling being sold which would also be a mistake imo. We need all the numbers we can get right now
Personally I don't see how his comments relate to Smalling being sold.
Going by his history, Mourinho has always been open about players who he's open to selling, he doesn't hide it or shy away from questions - and I think playing Smalling next to one of our signings, 4 games in a row suggests that Smalling is here to stay.

Had Bailly not been suspended he would have played, and considering he hasn't played next to Lindelof on tour suggests that Mourinho was going to have Bailly & Smalling next to each other for the Super Cup. Otherwise he would have given Lindelof & Bailly minutes together before we learned of the suspension.
I don't think that necessarily means that Jones is going either though.

It could be an intent of playing 3 at the back.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
That's likely what it is.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll ever see the back of Smalling at this rate.
Makes the most sense but then I haven't actually watched the video.

I also wouldn't mind Smalling going but would prefer January or next summer ideally.

lysglimt

Scout
Jones is our 2nd best defender - so selling him would be insane!

Møllemanden

People read too much into those comments.

"In a couple of days" could mean Sunday, could mean the super cup. He means the friggin' Super Cup!

So far Jose has tried these combinations:

1st half: Jones - Smalling
2nd half: Bailly - Lindelöf - Tuanzebe
1st half: Lindelöf - Jones
2nd half: Bailly - Smalling
1st half:Lindelöf - Smalling
2nd half: Bailly - Jones
1st half: Bailly - Jones
2nd half: Lindelöf - Smalling
1st half: Lindelöf - Smalling

So far all central defenders (bar Tuanzebe) has played five halves. It looks like Jose knows which pairings he prefers. And with Bailly definately out, it's Lindelöf and Smalling to face Real. Simple as that.

Reactions: Invictus

MrSingh2002

"In a couple of days" could mean Sunday, could mean the super cup. He means the friggin' Super Cup!

So far all central defenders (bar Tuanzebe) has played five halves. It looks like Jose knows which pairings he prefers. And with Bailly definately out, it's Lindelöf and Smalling to face Real. Simple as that.
Finally a sensible post. I've was thinking earlier today a list like this would make sense of it all. Well done

Møllemanden

Finally a sensible post. I've was thinking earlier today a list like this would make sense of it all. Well done
Well thank you Sir.

This is exactly why I don't like silly season. It's like everything has to be interpreted in some cryptic manner. Common sense people, common sense please.

Møllemanden

In a couple of days wouldn't mean the super cup. That's not until August 8th.
Very right.

Tell that to Mourinho.

EDIT: Sorry. Didn't mean to be condesending. I just don't think Mourinho is a master of the English language.

If he decides to sell Smalling or Jones in the next couple of days, I will retract my statement. :)

Grande

Good review, and for all the drama lovers: I don't think basically all the playing time at CB would go to these four if any of them was about to be sold. Tuanzebe and Blind would at least get some more time at CB if that were the case, regArdless of 'shop window logics'.

What it tells me is that Smalling -Lindeløf is likely for the Super cup, Blind should work on his passing from LB, and that Tuanzebe maybe should head out for a loan.

Skills

Snitch
Probably nothing. Mournho himself loves a bit of drama, and it's probably too early to throw players under the bus for whatever reason. And he's probably already toeing the line with the moaning about transfer activity.

red thru&thru

My initial reaction to that conference...Jones is off! He just didn't mention him at all. Obviously, just my hunch after listening to that.

Von Mistelroum

Well, Smalling and Lindelof played right? Him saying that we'll understand why he played those two is odd, because of the 'others' you'd expect Bailly to start usually. If he's trying to forge a relationship between Smalling and Lindelof....maybe Bailly has expressed a desire to leave? Maybe Barca are back in for him? Maybe he's a makeweight for Bale? What? It could be that!!!

el3mel

He just meant they'll both start in the super cup. Smalling covers Lindelof lack of ability in the aerial duels while Lindelof covers the inability of Smalling to build the play.

Don't make too much drama out of it.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I heard that Baresi recently finished the Rocky movies and decided to come out of retirement after seeing Rocky Balboa. Having kept himself fit over the years and with defenders being much worse than in his day he feels like he is well capable of producing the goods again.

It is well known that Mourinho's dad and Baresi were good friends so it seems obvious to me that he's coming to United, especially considering that he always wanted to play abroad.

Ravelation

Krump at me Bro
Well if you take into account what he didn't say; 'we are not buying bale', plus the fact that Renato Sanches can be spotted in the bottom left of the screen from 0:12 - 0:34, it's only safe to assume that Jose cryptically stated we will be finally signing Lljaic.

savais

The amount of condescending posts on this thread....high horses....get off please

I dont think we are reading too much into it at all. There is definitely something going on.

ti vu

I heard that Baresi recently finished the Rocky movies and decided to come out of retirement after seeing Rocky Balboa. Having kept himself fit over the years and with defenders being much worse than in his day he feels like he is well capable of producing the goods again.

It is well known that Mourinho's dad and Baresi were good friends so it seems obvious to me that he's coming to United, especially considering that he always wanted to play abroad.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...o-jones-can-be-as-good-as-baresi-6263142.html

Well, Smalling and Lindelof played right? Him saying that we'll understand why he played those two is odd, because of the 'others' you'd expect Bailly to start usually. If he's trying to forge a relationship between Smalling and Lindelof....maybe Bailly has expressed a desire to leave? Maybe Barca are back in for him? Maybe he's a makeweight for Bale? What? It could be that!!!
Bailly isn't playing because he's suspended.

flappyjay

You are reading way too much into it. Bailly is suspended that's why a partnership between Lindelof and Chris is being forged

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Jones to be converted into a DM?
If we end up not signing a DM I would not be surprised by that. Start Pogba and Herrera most matches Jones with them in midfield in big matches. Jose used So Zouma as a DM at times for Chelsea. Plus played Pepe there a few times at Real

Ferguson

So he has settled on two partnerships: Bailly-Jones and Lindelof-Smalling.

When Bailly partners Jones in two days, it'll be clear that Lindelof and Smalling are the other partnership which will appear against Real Madrid in the Super Cup since Bailly will be suspended for that match.

Smalling covers Lindelof's weaknesses, and Lindelof covers Smallings weaknesses.

TheBiggest

Selling Jones. Jesus Christ. He is a superb centre-half...rated by everyone within the game massively. I really do question what some fans are actually watching when they watch football. The only thing stopping Jones being one of England's greatest centre-halves by age 28 is injury. He is going nowhere. In central Europe a 'couple of days' can mean anything up to a fortnight. Jose is clearly suggesting that the key to his pairings in pre-season will be revealed when he picks his two for the Super Cup Final.

buchansleftleg

In two days Jones will suffer an injury in training and then the truth will be revealed... that Mourinho is in fact Kyle Reese who was sent from the future to stop SkyNet from going online and bringing about the end of the world.

Only they completely forgot that Kyle was a massive football fan. So instead of bothering with saving humanity Kyle used his knowledge of past events to get a career in football under the alias José Mourinho. Thus shunning a return to the future and dooming humanity forever.
"I need your clothes...your boots and a unexciting but functionally adequate winger"

GM K

Managers tend to play players they're trying to sell to gain interest. I'm sure if I wasn't so lazy, I could probably discover an example of Mourinho doing it before selling someone
You have a point there but I have always thought that it is the opposite with Jose. Once he knows you want out, you are about to be sold or you are unavailable, he tends not to play you.

The key to understanding this might be Bailly. We know Bailly is his preferred CB but he is unavailable for the Super Cup. It makes sense for Jose to use him less heading into the Super Cup. Same way, he'll use the other player who is not starting the Super Cup much less.

My bet is that Lindelof and Smalling are starting the Super Cup.