Film Indiana Jones 5

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It was pretty bad but I actually kinda enjoyed it to be honest, though thought they would do more with the time travel gimmick they were going for.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It was pretty bad but I actually kinda enjoyed it to be honest, though thought they would do more with the time travel gimmick they were going for.
Yeah, I didn't mind it either. Expected it to be awful but actually wasn't too terrible. I actually liked the time travel gimmick, I saw it coming but thought it was done well. Like yeah, it was dumb as feck, but anything to do with time travel is dumb as feck. For the first half of the film I truly was thinking it was going to be a "try and stop Hitler again" story so felt relieved that they didn't go there, likewise the whole reversing time and saving the son.

It could have been, much, MUCH worse. Phew.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yeah, I didn't mind it either. Expected it to be awful but actually wasn't too terrible. I actually liked the time travel gimmick, I saw it coming but thought it was done well. Like yeah, it was dumb as feck, but anything to do with time travel is dumb as feck. For the first half of the film I truly was thinking it was going to be a "try and stop Hitler again" story so felt relieved that they didn't go there, likewise the whole reversing time and saving the son.

It could have been, much, MUCH worse. Phew.
Ford giving a genuinely heartfelt performance helped a lot.

The cast overall was pretty solid if we're being fair.

decorativeed

Ford giving a genuinely heartfelt performance helped a lot.

The cast overall was pretty solid if we're being fair.
"Enjoyed it", "heartfelt performance", "pretty solid" = "Bad"?

It's okay to admit that if the actors all performed well in a film and you enjoyed it, then you thought it was good, rather than bad. Enjoyment = mission accomplished when it comes to film, in my opinion. It doesn't have to be a cinematic masterpiece in order to not be bad.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
"Enjoyed it", "heartfelt performance", "pretty solid" = "Bad"?

It's okay to admit that if the actors all performed well in a film and you enjoyed it, then you thought it was good, rather than bad. Enjoyment = mission accomplished when it comes to film, in my opinion. It doesn't have to be a cinematic masterpiece in order to not be bad.
I mean if you equate enjoyment with quality than sure but the two are not necessarily the same, a movie can be an excruciating experience and be a well made piece of art and so on.

In regards to the indiana Jones movie you're right as I probably gone overboard with calling it pretty bad, if forced to rate it I'd probably give it a 5 or 6 which is technically above average.

decorativeed

I mean if you equate enjoyment with quality than sure but the two are not necessarily the same, a movie can be an excruciating experience and be a well made piece of art and so on.

In regards to the indiana Jones movie you're right as I probably gone overboard with calling it pretty bad, if forced to rate it I'd probably give it a 5 or 6 which is technically above average.
I'm not saying that something that is good will always be enjoyable - there are many great films which are the exact opposite of fun - but if a family-friendly adventure film like this is at least enjoyable, then it's achieved its purpose, in my opinion.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm not saying that something that is good will always be enjoyable - there are many great films which are the exact opposite of fun - but if a family-friendly adventure film like this is at least enjoyable, then it's achieved its purpose, in my opinion.
In a sense I get where you're coming from, and yeah for me at least it did fulfill the criteria you set, still think they should set their eyes on higher heights than merely being enjoyable.

It doesn't matter much here, for a movie that could have been an utter dissaster they did well.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I enjoyed it, apart from three things.

1) monumentally shite CG.
2) they somehow rushed the final act in an almost three hour movie.

And the biggest crime of all;

3) They wasted Mads. Even Fantastic Beasts 3 gave him a character to work with. In this film he's just "Nazi wants to change past because he's a Nazi" and that's it. No arrogance, no chemistry with any other characters. You've got Mads Mikkelsen and you get him to play someone with the depth of a sheet of paper. Morons. I thought something would be made of him being mashed by a sign whilst on a speeding train, and yet looking completely fine later, but nope.

But still, it was better than Crystal Skull.